Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder Made His Fortune Running Mutant Slave Ring!!

Tsailand

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

Never having the same coach for more than four years.  Why should Gruden be the first?  He's nothing special so far, let's be honest. 

It seems like now you're arguing that it will be OK for him to fire Gruden.

I guess you missed the entire point of my post.  The fact that we have not had a coach stay for more than 4 years isn't due to Snyder's impatience as you so incorrectly suggest.  Gruden has done better than probably the vast majority of fans, pundits, and even other NFL executives would have guessed.  Other than Gibbs II, he's the only coach to have multiple winning seasons since Gibbs I.  Again, I wasn't big on the hire, and I'm not a huge Gruden fan, but you got to give credit where credit is due.  He has put the offense on the right track.

And, I don't know how you can take that I'm arguing for firing Gruden from anything I said in that post.  Snyder is nowhere near as impatient as you make him out to be and Gruden has shown he can be a decent coach given the right players. The part you quoted was me pointing out that other than Marty, none of the coaches that we have had have gone on to do anything in this league after leaving the Redskins.  This shows that Snyder firing the few that he has was most likely a good move.

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

So, you just made stuff up.  Super!

I've seen more facts in a presidential debate.

No politics in th........who am I kidding, that was hysterical. 

1 hour ago, Duke said:

According to your logic, who would want to become our HC if two back to back winning seasons can't and won't secure him a job?? Don't all of them want to have that to begin with?? It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If a coach can't win a Superbowl his first year with a new team, what good is he?

Jays brother could do it. Why cant he?

7 hours ago, zskins said:

I have been married for 20 years and I still don't know what the **** my wife thinks/wants and you as a fan who doesn't even live with Dan knows exactly what he thinks....lol

5 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

LMAO.  Zskins, same here, will be married 25 years come September and I feel the same way, yet this guy has everything figured out.  Where did we go wrong?

Damn guys! I've been married not more than 3 years and you're telling me it takes at least 25 years????

Why did nobody told me?!

Al%20Bundy%20Noose.gif

2 hours ago, Tsailand said:

I'm not locked into any particular name.  We could put together a list of four or five names and it would most likely be correct. Dungy is definitely on the list.

Dungy isn't coming here.  He won't even say the team's name.  Gruden (Jon) and Cowher had more attractive coaching vacancies open and when their names came up the both said they were happy doing what they were doing and were not coming back.  So what big name is out there for you?

Considering Gruden was here before GMSM, I don't think it is a mind-blowing revelation to suggest Snyder may look to move on from Gruden if the team finishes .500 or worse in 2017.  Is that really Snyder being impatient, or simply seeing the writing on the wall with a coach who was unproven in the position to begin with and has shown at times to be less than desirable on the sidelines managing the game?

I would also suggest that GMSM might be wanting to cut ties with Gruden just as much as Snyder does in the future.  At this point who knows.

Sorry, Tsailand, I think you're a great contributor here and solid all-around poster, but this is a prime example of one of the biggest issues with ESer's in general. The desire to be right about something can outweigh having a solid analytical process and, when that's wrong, it doesn't matter if you end up right. It's not something to be proud of that, in the end, you were "right". It's like the reporter who throws **** on the wall and something sticks. No one should commend that person nor should they think they were "right".  

When you said it was time to move on from RG3 in 2013, that was wrong. Look, I thought Kirk had massive potential back then as well and was one of the few who consistently defended him. I thought he did numerous things better than RG3 - things that were vital to playing QB in the NFL - at a time when almost everyone looked at him as nothing more than a turnover machine.

But I wasn't about to ignore RG3's remaining potential and higher overall ceiling. Those things mean little in the end if they can't be realized, and we eventually found that out, but it wasn't "right" to think that just because it ended up that way. That's not correct reasoning.

I always use the analogy of a 10 year old and a rocket scientist. The rocket scientist has decades of studying in his field, understands the core concepts of propulsion and thrust, how to build technology that employs those ideas, etc... but this one thing he's working on is stuck and he just can't figure out why. The ten year old kid comes, kicks the machine slightly, and wa la! It works.

If that kid thinks he's "right" or that he/she based his/her actions on solid reasoning... lol. The kid was just fortunate. It means nothing more than that.

Sometimes we get too caught up here in the desire to end up right that we just start kicking **** to see if it works. Sometimes we're just tied to a past conclusion we had on a coach or player and are unwilling to add new information to the pool and adjust our thoughts accordingly. 

The whole Kirk Cousins' long term deal right now is a prime example, in my opinion. Almost everything is based on conjecture right now with a little bit of panic mixed in. Words like "my gut feeling" are thrown around with ease. Past dysfunction of the organization is pointed to as justification. Words from either camp are overly-analyzed, interpreted in the worst way, while omitting anything that contradicts the negative outlook. None of that stuff means much of anything. It just doesn't. We simply don't have much to go on. That's the reality. Yet, if the deal doesn't get done those who went about it that way are going to think they were "right" all along. They weren't, though. It doesn't change the incorrect method of reasoning and illogical thinking. That the end result ended up that way has nothing to do with the way they went about arriving to this "right" result.

Furthermore, one who cares about being right about the end results of things more than employing proper analytical methods are using this place as a personal ego-massager. That's not good.      

So, now, with this thread... if you end up right, you're still wrong, brother. None of this is based on anything more than conjecture, speculation, and illogical deductive reasoning. If you somehow end up right, well, maybe we should get lottery numbers from you but it doesn't change that you went about this all wrong and it shouldn't give you any credibility, at least not scientifically.  

2 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

RG3's remaining potential and higher overall ceiling.

You still don't get it.  Kirk's ceiling as a pure NFL pocket passer was always higher than RG3's.  The coaches and even RG3 saw that early on.

First of all, potential isn't just physical.  Kirk's brain is better suited to the role of NFL QB than RG3's brain is.  Not that Kirk is a genius or anything. 

Secondly, RG3's physical potential as a sprinter was amazing.  As a NFL player, not so much, because his body is not built to take hits, and he himself is not good at avoiding hits.  A slow, tougher guy like Kirk who can absorb hits, but almost never takes hits, has more physical potential as a NFL QB.

2 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Furthermore, one who cares about being right about the end results of things more than employing proper analytical methods

I was the one who started those threads in 2014 and 2015 about the advanced stats showing that Kirk was our best QB.  Half the people replying didn't even understand the concept.

(Full disclosure: When I made that thread in Jan 2013, I didn't see anything special about Kirk.  I just wanted off the RG3 train.)

25 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

You still don't get it.  Kirk's ceiling as a pure NFL pocket passer was always higher than RG3's.  The coaches and even RG3 saw that early on.

First of all, potential isn't just physical.  Kirk's brain is better suited to the role of NFL QB than RG3's brain is.  Not that Kirk is a genius or anything. 

Tsailand, I'm sure you know my history on this, brother. I, like you, had become a bigger skeptic of RG3 than most here and much earlier as well. Even at the end of 2012 I was the only one willing to say certain things about him and his attitude towards the offense when LL dropped some nuggets about it. 

But, no, Kirk's ceiling wasn't "always higher". That's just crazy talk. RG3 came out of college with some impressive traits as a QB. It wasn't just his physical abilities. But arm strength is a big one that you don't just overlook, either, it wasn't just his straight line speed. 

He was an accurate passer, too. The hope was that he'd figure out the pocket game in the pros eventually while being able to create things with his legs until then. And in 2012 that's exactly how it panned out, except better than anyone could've imagined. 

So, no, I don't know what kind of process you'd have to get you to where you'd assume Kirk's ceiling was higher than Robert's at that point in 2013. At least not confidently to where you were "done" with him. I mean, same goes for Kirk. Anyone who was done with him at that time would've also been employing a faulty process. 

And that talk of whose brain was more adept... I've got no idea how you'd arrive to that with any confidence at the time.

Robert could've ended up "getting it" at that point, the jury was still out. Yes, Kirk was ahead of him regarding decisiveness, but it also got him in trouble with the INTs... so it's not like it was super obvious at the time you're claiming this should've been a known. 

25 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

I was the one who started those threads in 2014 and 2015 about the advanced stats showing that Kirk was our best QB.  Half the people replying didn't even understand the concept.

Well, don't include me in with that, I know I understood Kirk's potential and abilities.

And, in this case, you're fine. Here you're actually basing your reasoning on something much more legitimate and reasonable. But I'm talking about you pointing to being correct regarding wanting to move on from RG3 in 2013 as well as this thread. 

Archived