Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What media outlets can you consistently trust?

Springfield

The Economist is one I trust the most. It is opinionated, but openly so and fairly apolitical, with a more international outlook. I watch CNN, but too much of what passed as news is watching a panel of pundits from opposite sides argue pointlessly over talking points. Vice News is good. I like Fareed Zakaria's GPS program on Sundays.

Via my wife, I listen to a lot of NPR.  Lots of good programming that does a good job presenting both sides (not just putting a moron on one side of the issue to sway influence the other way).  

I like Fareed Zakaria and Rachel Maddow - they often dive deeper into subjects, but I recognize the bias to some extent.

I love that John Oliver sometimes goes after the unsexy topics.  

33 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I actually like this.  Seen it before, and I tend to agree.

Nice graphic. Most of my preferred news is right in the middle of that. NYT, WP, AP, Reuters, BBC. I'd say that Fox News should be much lower, towards the "Basic AF" & "Sensationalist" area on the Y-axis, though. They are much worse than "slant conservative".

Strange that I don't see the reputable outlet Grabien on there.

56 minutes ago, grego said:

Good question. Wondering that myself. 

Anyone like reason.com ?

I like it but there is a bias there, just like others.

Reuters and NPR are probably the closest to unbiased....on most subjects:)

IMO, none.  If a news outlet is quoting a speech, listen to the speech.  If they are discussing a report or study, read that document.  Once I started doing this more often, I became less satisfied with the reported version and that makes me question the accuracy of news reports that don't have easily reviewed facts.  Some are better than others, but they are all too often exaggerated to generate attention/clicks/ratings or politically bias.

If I'm interested in a story I read about it, but I like having the news on in the background and tend to watch CNN.  I just like Anderson Cooper, Van Jones, Dana Bash, and Gloria Borger to name a few.  I'm not saying they are truth tellers, but I enjoy their work. 

An area I've studied many years. It deserves detailed answers,  but I would broadly agree with the image posted and personally; rank NPR, BBC, (and CBC) and the reuetrs/ap feeds as pretty straight, and the leanings of the 3 major broadcast networks (left/liberal) mainly mild and easy to navigate.

To me, during the election cycle, Fox actually had improved over past years in being more critical of the right (at least as manifest in the form of djt and his followers) and until these most recent weeks, I had given both fox and msnbc (the two "worst" in terms of significant bias imv) an "improved" grade, while still being very biased---well, and sometimes worse---esp. fox, who just abandons any pretense of journalism at times.

CNN is more left than the majors, but is still conscientious about covering "both sides" and even acts a little paranoid about how they're perceived. But their op-panel leaders give even the most vapid of trumps minions plenty of time and respect.

I sift my way through them all, but I still have fox down at the bottom overall, honesty/integrity/bias wise, though they still have some great people, too, like smith, brett, will, cavuto, and others. cnn is accurate enough in reporting most of the time, but with ever-more liberal hand-wringing commentary in air time, though the justification that the trump era rides in on a wagon train of particularly rich, fetid, material to work with is somewhat acceptable as an excuse...I do like most (not all) of the quality specialized experts CNN brings into discussions compared to other networks---esp their cadre of intel/military experts.

for websites/papers, I like to scan the daily beast, the federalist, realclearpolitics, wapo/nytimes/wsj among others...

Archived