Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What media outlets can you consistently trust?

Springfield

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Mostly CNN and here.  I don't get much time to read things so I usually have CNN on at home while I'm doing things.

Pasty-ass effete elitist PC libtard that you are.

We're taking your guns away and issuing you a snowball made from what's left of your snowflake buddies.

I prefer print for most news, sites like memeorandum give different perspectives/links to news 'versions' of the truth and include blogs and such.....just as foreign sources help provide perspective.

26 minutes ago, twa said:

I prefer print for most news, sites like memeorandum give different perspectives/links to news 'versions' of the truth and include blogs and such.....just as foreign sources help provide perspective.

Unfortunately, they are typically biased also. 

Friends and such. 

One of the reasons that Glazer  (NFL) and Smith (NFL) lose a lot of credibility. 

Same thing happened with Korny and Wilbon among many of the older guys...your job is news. 

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

Pasty-ass effete elitist PC libtard that you are.

We're taking your guns away and issuing you a snowball made from what's left of your snowflake buddies.

You're welcome to try but you better bring some guns of your own.  Besides, I have to watch CNN.  Someone has to keep eyes on the enemy and monitor the lies the left is spewing. 

I assume folks here like No Excuses or techboy or PeterMP who have access to the institutional databases of one or more major universities, use them as I do in so many matters related to forum discussions. I appreciate the luxury of access to huge amounts of very science-y data and research available on most any social or political topic, far beyond what Timmy is going to dredge up via google or a link from one krazy-bias site leading to another. And being able to access all sorts of quality profession journals and periodicals for free is a cool perk. Most of the time, though, I'm just there playing poppit. No one bothers me becuase they're all scared to talk to me---they say I "mess with their heads just for fun." 

Advanced degree snowflakes.

21 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

You're welcome to try but you better bring some guns of your own.  Besides, I have to watch CNN.  Someone has to keep eyes on the enemy and monitor the lies the left is spewing. 

Hey, let's go way OT---what do you think about the new Sig replacing the Beretta for the military? I like it---solid, versatile platform.

Eh, we better not. I saw Des posting in here earlier and you know how oppressive those kind of people are.

30 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Unfortunately, they are typically biased also. 

Of course, but it provides variety to subject ya'll to.

Ya gotta switch up the torture to be truly effective.....just ask Jumbo 

Great topic!

I avoid corporate media, especially TV. CNN, Fox, and MSNBC are peddling blatant propaganda. 

Newspapers tend to be a bit better, as at least reading is less passive than being hypnotized by the TV. I used to trust the New York Times, the Washington Post, and the Guardian, but the way they covered the primaries has drastically eroded that trust. I still read them, but much more critically than before.

I listen to NPR every day, and I'll watch PBS and C-SPAN from time to time. I also like independent and alternative media outlets like the Intercept and Democracy Now! 

I like the moderate voice for the least bias in any one direction.

I like bloomberg because most times they just present facts. When they have a guest on to fight for a side, they usually do a good job of brining someone on from the other side or at least challenging the guest pretty well. They're heavy on finance and economic stuff though, not just all encompassing 'news'

I like the economist, but it's subscription based. 

For right wing bias I like the American consevative. Not all of their writers are great, but I find most of their stuff though provoking and I find that hard to come by with right wing bias media these days...  they can go off the rails on religion and social issues, but usually it's just the same few writers that do that.

I like NPR, for their more left/progressive bias. Except on social issues, many of their hosts go off the rails to the far left on those items.

The strategy I've adopted is figuring out who is at least honest in the reporting and bias, then find others equally honest in their bias but in a different direction, and then try to piece it all together.

I outright reject msbc and foxnews as I find them intellectually dishonest. I find CNN to be lazy and headline hunting, with hosts that are lacking on an intellectual level (including honesty.)

I used to like the Washington post but in the last 6 months they've gone off the rails and joined in the nonsense. Don't know why.

The ultimate test is to find articles on something you're actually very well informed on. See how they measure up to what you know.

If you know they can't get that right, how can you expect them to inform you on subjects you're not well informed on?

If the person at the outlet is supposed to be an expert, and you read it being informed yourself and walk away saying "this person is clueless/hysterical/click baiting" then why do you expect their other divisions to be any better?

By the way, NPR launched an app for iPhone and android probably about a year or so ago called NPR one.

It's basically a stream of their various programs and segments. You mark them 'interesting' if you find them such, and it tailors your feed. You skip stuff you don't like.

You can also search for segments and certain shows. 

You just hit play and flag stuff as it comes up. Like Pandora or Spotify for news, but takes a little longer to tune right since you can't just start with a song/band/genre.

I find it great for the morning when I'm running around getting ready for work. On long car rides you can queue up 25-60 minute segments that will go deep into a subject with tons of research. Or you can follow a series, one of my favorites was when planet money bought oil and tracked it from the ground to the pump, explaining the process along the way. I think it was 8 segments but was great for a car ride.

Puts the wife and kid to sleep too :)

It takes time to tune... to get the type of news you're interested in. And it can be annoying because NPR is heavy on social issue segments and progressivism within those segments, if you generally roll your eyes at those things it can be a task weeding them out sometimes. I imagine someone who's not interested in typical political news would have a similar experience weeding that stuff out.

It also let's you pick the NPR station you want to listen to. I use wamu, I think they're awesome. I don't know if this is a function of what I select as interesting, but mine always starts with a few general, 2-3 minute news segments before kickingoff into more serious and subject specific things, which is perfect for the morning.

If you haven't checked out the TED app that's pretty cool too. Less 'news', more just interesting subject specific stuff. I watch a lot of tech stuff there, and from what I know they're generally pretty good.

6 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

You will NEVER convince GOPers that this is accurate....EVER. And the studies are proving it. More often than not they are showing that they will believe something that is knowingly wrong rather than reform their beliefs even when faced with overwhelming evidence.

This is why I'm no longer participating in political debates.

It is seriously useless.

3 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Hey, let's go way OT---what do you think about the new Sig replacing the Beretta for the military? I like it---solid, versatile platform.

Eh, we better not. I saw Des posting in here earlier and you know how oppressive those kind of people are.

I'm not scared.  You just have to find a tie-in.

im not a huge fan.  I'd have preferred Glock was the replacement.  It's the most user friendly Andrea I have several so I like them.  The beretta were garbage.  They are also a lot harder to maintain and the Glock is easy.  And the worst part is Sig is a nice higher end gun but has a high end price tag.  Pretty much don't see any reason not to have gone with Glock.

oh and my tie in is that I read an article in Navy Times and they seem okay.

1 hour ago, twa said:

I prefer the SIG over the Glock, besides it's govt money....not like it's real

Trigger safety is weird.

Sig will fire every time and is sturdy. They use the combat sight style by default and I think a lot of people pick them up, can't hit anything, and think they just don't like the gun. Just aim a bit higher it'll be OK ;)

Sometimes they require a higher grain to not jam, doesn't like cheap stuff.

5 hours ago, Jumbo said:

I assume folks here like No Excuses or techboy or PeterMP who have access to the institutional databases of one or more major universities, use them as I do in so many matters related to forum discussions.

It is actually funny for anything science, I'll actually go to wikipedia first.  For most things, they tend to do a good job of lying out the basics and will give you relevant references.  Even for biochem classes, before I go teach on a topic, I'll read the related wiki pages to see if there is anything new that I've missed.

From there, for biology/biochemistry things it is a search of the literature with pubmed.  More and more of the literature is free.  Pretty much anything done where the person had NIH funding today has to be public access.

For other topics, I tend to go web of science.  There a lot less is public, but if we have a subscription you can easily get it, and if that doesn't work there is still good old interlibrary loan.  Google scholar is good for that sort of thing too.

For general stuff, I generally still just go with CNN and WashPo and things like that.  I'll listen to a little NPR.  In general, I'd rather read than listen though.

With the housing bubble popping, I became more interested in economics so there I'll read a lot of blogs.  I try to get different perspective.

I read Greg Mankiw's blog on a regular basis (http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/).  He's on the right and have been an economic advisor for people like Romney and Bush.

But then I also read Dean Baker's Op-Eds on a regular basis.  He's pretty far to the left.

http://cepr.net/dean-baker-op-eds

Mankiw's good because a good bit of the times he'll actually connect to the scientific literature on stuff.  Baker is less rigorous in that way.

**EDIT**

Just in case people don't know what I'm talking about,

Pubmed is https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/  It is free to use and run by the government.  It is search of the biomedical published literature.  The literature you are searching might not be free to access, but in most cases you can get at least an abstract.

It is also very broad.  They catalog all sorts of things not really related to medical things.  Basic plant biology stuff is in there a lot of times.

Web of science is broader search of the scientific literature.  It requires a subscription.

http://login.webofknowledge.com/error/Error?PathInfo=%2F&Alias=WOK5&Domain=.webofknowledge.com&Src=IP&RouterURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.webofknowledge.com%2F&Error=IPError

google scholar is almost as good.  Though unless I am looking for a patent, I always unclick the patent button (and if I am looking for a patent, I go to the patent web page).

Sounds like the vast majority of us like NPR. How do we feel about the reports Trump plans to privatize the CPB? I'm pretty sure that's a big chunk of NPR funding.

Looks to me like the GOP wants to kill big bird again. :P

It's odd too, because I think NPR and PBS have been more fair to Trump than most of the corporate press. 

Agree and good stuff, @PeterMP. There are many truly excellent information sites, and many people that do such an incredible job maintaining them. Though quality of results still depends on the search engine (not the browser, the one hunched over the keyboard :P).

Archived