Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

Well, if you listen to what he's really saying in between the lines through his mouthpiece down at the shoe store it's that he wants to personally kick every Redskins fan in the nuts, and would prefer to play naked in an active volcano than ever breathe air from the same zip code as Bruce Allen.

We are SCREWED.

~Dang!

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I never thought Kirk "demanded" a trade or made things as simple as "I won't sign a deal if Bruce is in charge".  That doesn't seem to be his nature.  He seems to be very calculated with what he says, particularly to the media.  If there is one thing he is stellar at, it's talking to the media and not giving them much of anything during contract negotiations. Saying he inquired about the possibility of a trade could mean a whole lot of things other than just "gauging interest".  It seems to me as if things are somewhere in between, as they typically are. 

You're absolutely right.  Kirk's intangibles as a leader and as a person more than make up for any deficiencies (which are few) on the field. What Kirk would do for the franchise and the FO is immeasurable.  Signing him would shut up a lot of critics and would cement the team as a legitimate contender.  It makes too much sense to get the LTD done. 

I don't know what the hold up is though and that is what's concerning.  If it's the Ryan and Stafford deals then fine.  I can understand that.  If I'm Kirk's agent I'm asking for a deal slightly below Ryan and slightly above Stafford.  With Kirk calling the owner though it doesn't seem like the ball is in his court. 

If the Redskins are looking at this and hoping for good numbers from the Ryan and Stafford deals then I worry that they haven't learned from last year.  Get the deal done before the market goes crazy.  I know the mantra is "trust the process."  For too many years we have seen a process fraught with disappointment.  I hope that's not the case this time.  And maybe next time I would trust the process.

Just sign him, make him the highest paid player in NFL history, yada yada. The cap will continue to go up and in 3 years we won't even be complaining about his contract; we'll be complaining about what we'll have to be paying other players in 2020! When a QB knows he is good in the NFL and there is no back-up plan on the roster, he almost always has ALL bargaining chips in his corner anyways. Teams will overpay, they have to overpay to keep them, unless said franchise QB feels like being nice. Hometown discounts don't exist anymore, same with die-hard team rivalries, the NFL is a business and I know I wouldn't take a pay-cut from any business. Sign him Bruce/Dan/Whoever.

Listened to the Schefter podcast at lunch today, I'm really big into Podcasts and was a treat. Highly recommend listening to that. Not sure if it was mentioned but the news about him expecting during week 2 of the season surprised me. That could be a distraction for anyone. Hope they induce during the preseason.

Just now, bobandweave said:

Listened to the Schefter podcast at lunch today, I'm really big into Podcasts and was a treat. Highly recommend listening to that. Not sure if it was mentioned but the news about him expecting during week 2 of the season surprised me. That could be a distraction for anyone. Hope they induce during the preseason.

Why the heck would he do that! :ols: Just give him the week off

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Sounds like the hold up is that the FO doesn't think he is worth as much as he does.

Groundbreaking analysis.  Clearly if they thought he was worth what he's asking he'd already be signed. 

But I get it, you just wanted another reason to post about how he's not worth what he thinks he is.  But I promise you we are all well aware of where you stand on Kirk Cousins.  In fact, its the only thing about you that I'm well aware of.

6 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Why the heck would he do that! :ols: Just give him the week off

Why would he do what? Induce his babies delivery? Maybe because Kirk himself suggested that idea as something him and his wife are looking into.

Kirk also said he's going to call into the league office to see if they can give us a home game that week and his wife already said to go play the game if she is giving birth and catch up with them later. As a father I support him being there for the birth of his first child of course but sounds like they are looking into the best options they can for Kirk the Father and Kirk the Professional football player and there is a balancing act here he is dealing with

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Why would he do what? Induce his babies delivery? Maybe because Kirk himself suggested that him and his wife look into that, I will try and ignore your stupidity for a moment as long as you accept you said that without listening to the interview and clearly you talk out your neck, k?

Now besides that idea Kirk also said he's going to call into the league office to see if they can give us a home game that week and his wife already said to go play the game if she is giving birth and catch up with them later. As a father I support him being there for the birth of his first child of course but sounds like they are looking into the best options they can for Kirk the Father and Kirk the Professional football player

My ex gave birth to three with no problems whatsoever.  Dr's were amazed.  Then with my first son the Dr was going on vacation and wanted to be there to deliver.  So he induced.  It DID NOT go well.  The pain was much more amplified.  First time she asked for meds.  So I wouldn't recommending inducing.  But, would be nice for the Redskins to start off the first two weeks at home!

Just now, bobandweave said:

Why would he do what? Induce his babies delivery? Maybe because Kirk himself suggested that him and his wife look into that, I will try and ignore your stupidity for a moment as long as you accept you said that without listening to the interview.

Now besides that idea Kirk also said he's going to call into the league office to see if they can give us a home game that week and his wife already said to go play the game if she is giving birth and catch up with them later. As a father I support him being there for the birth of his first child of course but sounds like they are looking into the best options they can for Kirk the Father and Kirk the Professional football player

Okay look, you don't have to bold your own text to make your point stand out. If you have a good enough point, that should stand out on it's own. Maybe Kirk did say he would look into it, I honestly have no idea if he said so or didn't, I didn't listen to the interview, so please "ignore my stupidity" :ols: . 

Having a baby either way is going to be distracting, either in preseason or regular season. Inducing to have the baby earlier than the delivery date just seems pointless and a bit riskier. Most parents know this. 

20 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Groundbreaking analysis.  Clearly if they thought he was worth what he's asking he'd already be signed. 

But I get it, you just wanted another reason to post about how he's not worth what he thinks he is.  But I promise you we are all well aware of where you stand on Kirk Cousins.  In fact, its the only thing about you that I'm well aware of.

You seemed perplexed as to why a deal hasn't gotten done. Then I suggested a reason and you get smarmy about it. And I couldn't care less what you believe I think about Kirk. I've been pretty open about it. I think he's a good QB but not great or elite; seems like a good guy. But no, I don't think he's worth possibly the biggest contract in the NFL. He might end up getting paid that, might not. I'd like him signed here long term as he's our best option at the moment. 

But let me guess, that makes me a Kirk "hater" right?

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You seemed perplexed as to why a deal hasn't gotten done. Then I suggested a reason and you get smarmy about it. And I couldn't care less what you believe I think about Kirk. I've been pretty open about it. I think he's a good QB but not great or elite; seems like a good guy. But no, I don't think he's worth possibly the biggest contract in the NFL. He might end up getting paid that, might not. I'd like him signed here long term as he's our best option at the moment. 

I'd be perplexed if it was most any other organization playing this game, but not this one.  This thread is filled to the brim with different opinions and analysis on why he's not signed to a LTD yet.  There are plenty among them that suggest the front office doesn't think he's worth that kind of money. So forgive me for not finding any value in that post.

I'm not going to stalk your profile and enter into an investigation on your posting history, but its very rare that I notice you post on anything but Kirk Cousins related threads and nearly every time you are trying to take on the masses, going to great lengths in an attempt to expose him for not being clutch, not playing well without Reed, atrocious in the red zone, etc.  Maybe you post all the time about other Redskins related stuff and I just don't notice it but I know when I think of people that loudly express the negative attributes of Kirk Cousins, you're the first guy that comes to mind.  Whether that makes you a Kirk hater or not is really up for you to decide.

52 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Sounds like the hold up is that the FO doesn't think he is worth as much as he does.

Or they think he is but they want to play the waiting game, and there's tons of reasons for that.

1 - Just like Von Miller last year that ended up getting his wishes fulfilled, they want to call his bluff.

2 - There's some rumors that some other QB, including Aaron Rodgers (think I read that on NFL.com) that are renegotiating this year. If someone like Rodgers sign a new deal at 25M/ year with 80M guaranteed that basically tells them the highest bid they will go to, and would screw Kirk's stance as well. Same for guys like Ryan.

I was a bit scared by the rumors of him not wanting to deal with Bruce, but it seems it's been thrown away. So, we're still going good.They may as well have settle on stuff like average salary, contract length but disagrees on incentives and guaranteed money here and there, who knows...

We'll have plenty of time to panic by July the 16th if there's no LTD signed.

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Well, considering your posting past? :705:

2 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Or they think he is but they want to play the waiting game, and there's tons of reasons for that.

1 - Just like Von Miller last year that ended up getting his wishes fulfilled, they want to call his bluff.

2 - There's some rumors that some other QB, including Aaron Rodgers (think I read that on NFL.com) that are renegotiating this year. If someone like Rodgers sign a new deal at 25M/ year with 80M guaranteed that basically tells them the highest bid they will go to, and would screw Kirk's stance as well. Same for guys like Ryan.

I was a bit scared by the rumors of him not wanting to deal with Bruce, but it seems it's been thrown away. So, we're still going good.They may as well have settle on stuff like average salary, contract length but disagrees on incentives and guaranteed money here and there, who knows...

We'll have plenty of time to panic by July the 16th if there's no LTD signed.

Yeah I heard about Rodgers and Ryan looking for new deals this offseason.  That may be what's needed to get a better idea of what Kirk's market value actually is since he's not allowed to test the market himself. 

2 minutes ago, ATown Jacoby said:

Now this is interesting...might not be the worst if he doesn't sign a LTD

(Tweet about Cleveland trading for Cousins)

I don't actually believe this, but IF they might make a run at it, they'd have to give up something which would allow the 'Skins to draft a QB in the first round.

They have the #1, #12, #33 and #52 in the first 2 rounds.That's A LOT of ammunition if they wanted to get Kirk. 

Would the 'Skins do #12 and #52 for Kirk, and then possibly package those to move up a few spots to get a QB?  Do they LOVE a QB in the draft more than Kirk?

If they were going to trade, I would love for them to do do a Kirk + #17 for the #1 overall.  But I can't imagine that Cleveland would do that. 

My preferance, as it always has been, is to get a deal worked out with Kirk.  But if they can't, Cleveland has a lot of picks and a lot of variety in the way they could put together a compelling offer.  Question would of course be, who the hell is going to play QB?

10 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

If Cleveland calls. I would look at there picks in 2017 en 2018 and just go wild. Start high. Let's see how far we can push that offer. Not really interested in trade but I there always offers you can't refuse. 

Exactly this. Go into the trade talks with some outrageous and worst case scenario, they say no! and we keep Kirk for at least next season. Maybe they come around and we get a steal. I am ALL IN for Kirk and signing him to LTD, even if it's incredibly high, but definitely not against getting the #2 and #15 if they really want to wheel and deal.

I mean, isn't that what Kirk's agent is doing to us? I am sure Kirk would LOVE a LTD and his agent is probably riding the higher end because, hey, if not, he's still getting $24 Million this year and hits FA possibly next year and gets paid again.

Might as well entertain trades and stay high, just hope Kirk and his agent understand that it's business and not a reflection on them not wanting him.

Archived