Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

Since Cousins has not signed a LTD with the Redskins and they appear to be miles apart it makes sense to try to evaluate where the Redskins could trade him.

This possible Cleveland trade has really piqued my interest.  First..Hue runs a similar offense as Gruden and Cousins has proven to excel in this offense making Cousins a bonafide target since Cleveland needs a quarterback and Cousins could continue to shine.  Second...Cleveland has a treasure hoard of draft picks to offer from in a trade.  Third...there is a legitimate chance that they could trade for Cousins and keep him.   Having the most cap space....even more than runner up 49ers....they could either offer Cousins a monster contract...far more than the Redskins are willing to pay... or be in a position to match any offer next year if they choose to use the transition tag which would force Cousins to stay because they haven't gone crazy during FA and still have a ton of cap space that they can carry over to next year.  Cleveland is the only other team that can pay the $35 million 3rd FT or match any offer under a transition tag.

Cousins may balk at this trade...but what about the rest of Cleveland's roster?   Their OL is even better than ours.  With Joe Thomas at LT, recent prize FA signing Kevin Zeitler at RG, recent resigned Joel Bitonio (who I love) at LG, Cameron Fleming at RT and JC Tretter from Green Bay at C....Cleveland has a top notch OL.   They also have some decent recievers in Corey Coleman and new FA Kenny Britt.  With Isaiah Crowell as the power RB they could use a receiver RB like Christian McCaffrey from Stanford who could be available with the 33rd pick.  Also need another TE to go with Gary Barnidge.  So the cupboard is not bare.

Their defense could be alot better than ours with Gregg Williams the new DC.  Picking Myles Garrett with the number 1 pick to pair with Jamie Collins with Joe Haden at CB...they will have some studs over there.

Cleveland also has something like 10 picks in first 2 rounds over next two years.  This team could make waves and Cousins could go to a team that will love him like no other in the league...get paid far more than anywhere else...and be a part of something special if the Browns ever got into a Super Bowl.

i can see something here....   Question is how much will it take to pry Cousins away?

If a trade happens, we should aim for the #12 pick plus the browns 1st round pick next year.  That gives us 2 first rounders next year, which we could bundle as we move up to pick the top QB next year. 

I still want the LTD with Kirk, but 2 first round picks, 2 years in a row would be a nice prize too.

1 minute ago, ILikeBilly said:

If a trade happens, we should aim for the #12 pick plus the browns 1st round pick next year.  That gives us 2 first rounders next year, which we could bundle as we move up to pick the top QB next year. 

I still want the LTD with Kirk, but 2 first round picks, 2 years in a row would be a nice prize too.

I am thinking the number 12 pick and a conditional 2018 pick based on if Cousins signs a LTD...

maybe a number 2 pick next year

Just now, XtremeFan55 said:

I am thinking the number 12 pick and a conditional 2018 pick based on if Cousins signs a LTD...

maybe a number 2 pick next year

They have 1 first rounder and 3 second rounders next year.  Let's aim high.  We need the ammo for the trade up for a top QB.

Today we heard it from Cousins himself on Schefter's podcast talking about his face to face with Snyder, and Snyder basically telling him that a trade is out of the picture.

And now we have people speculating that there is a possible trade to Cleveland.

Was there some news that I missed today or is this just the media media'ing?

9 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

Yes!  Because the Redskins sure know how to pick em in when it comes to QB's in the first round!  Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell, and RG III. 

I'm amazed at how easily people are duped into thinking that picking a QB in the 1st round means greatness.  The NFL junkyard is littered with failed first rounders and former Heisman trophy winners.  When you get a good to great QB you don't trade him for a "chance" to draft one who may or may not be better. 

14 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Since Cousins has not signed a LTD with the Redskins and they appear to be miles apart it makes sense to try to evaluate where the Redskins could trade him.

This possible Cleveland trade has really piqued my interest.  First..Hue runs a similar offense as Gruden and Cousins has proven to excel in this offense making Cousins a bonafide target since Cleveland needs a quarterback and Cousins could continue to shine.  Second...Cleveland has a treasure hoard of draft picks to offer from in a trade.  Third...there is a legitimate chance that they could trade for Cousins and keep him.   Having the most cap space....even more than runner up 49ers....they could either offer Cousins a monster contract...far more than the Redskins are willing to pay... or be in a position to match any offer next year if they choose to use the transition tag which would force Cousins to stay because they haven't gone crazy during FA and still have a ton of cap space that they can carry over to next year.  Cleveland is the only other team that can pay the $35 million 3rd FT or match any offer under a transition tag.

Cousins may balk at this trade...but what about the rest of Cleveland's roster?   Their OL is even better than ours.  With Joe Thomas at LT, recent prize FA signing Kevin Zeitler at RG, recent resigned Joel Bitonio (who I love) at LG, Cameron Fleming at RT and JC Tretter from Green Bay at C....Cleveland has a top notch OL.   They also have some decent recievers in Corey Coleman and new FA Kenny Britt.  With Isaiah Crowell as the power RB they could use a receiver RB like Christian McCaffrey from Stanford who could be available with the 33rd pick.  Also need another TE to go with Gary Barnidge.  So the cupboard is not bare.

Their defense could be alot better than ours with Gregg Williams the new DC.  Picking Myles Garrett with the number 1 pick to pair with Jamie Collins with Joe Haden at CB...they will have some studs over there.

Cleveland also has something like 10 picks in first 2 rounds over next two years.  This team could make waves and Cousins could go to a team that will love him like no other in the league...get paid far more than anywhere else...and be a part of something special if the Browns ever got into a Super Bowl.

i can see something here....   Question is how much will it take to pry Cousins away?

Add Danny Shelton NT and Emmanuel Ogbah DE who got 24 sacks last two years...both are 23 years old...this could turn into a good team next year.  I also like Christian Kirksey at ILB....

add the draft....wow...

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

Yes!  Because the Redskins sure know how to pick em in when it comes to QB's in the first round!  Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell, and RG III. 

I'm amazed at how easily people are duped into thinking that picking a QB in the 1st round means greatness.  The NFL junkyard is littered with failed first rounders and former Heisman trophy winners.  When you get a good to great QB you don't trade him for a "chance" to draft one who may or may not be better. 

This.

When was the last time we got a Franchise QB besides Kirk Cousins in the draft?

The right quest might be, have we EVER gotten a Franchise Quarterback in the draft besides Kirk Cousins?

:blink:

Edit, IMO (I had to check one this) the last real franchise QB we drafted was Sammy Baugh. In 1937. That's 80 years ago. At this rate, I won't be alive to see the next one. So lets sign this one.

13 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Today we heard it from Cousins himself on Schefter's podcast talking about his face to face with Snyder, and Snyder basically telling him that a trade is out of the picture.

And now we have people speculating that there is a possible trade to Cleveland.

Was there some news that I missed today or is this just the media media'ing?

No, just media types making **** up, and folks here falling for it again.

This Cleveland trade crap has as much accuracy to it as that 3-way trade that involved Cousins, the 49ers, and Romo. :rolleyes:

We all remember how accurate that was. :806:

1st &  3rd 2017

1st 2018

Ship him. Snyder doesn't play with players that wont sign fair contracts. 

"If he doesn't sign and accept the trade, I'll buy him a flat screen and he can watch the games at home"

Kirk pissed the FO OFF! <HAHA!!! Edit

They know he wants San Fran, And doesn't want Cleveland. Anyone want to bet where he ends up IF ANYPLACE..... LESS SKINS???

Why wouldn't Cleveland want to trade for Cousins?  They have no qb and a ridiculous amount of draft picks, premium picks at that.  I don't see what's so crazy about believing it's a possibility or that the media is making it up.  They aren't saying we are going to accept it but it makes all the sense in the world for Cleveland to make a proposal.  

32 minutes ago, Skinarchy said:

1st &  3rd 2017

1st 2018

"If he doesn't sign and accept the trade, I'll buy him a flat screen and he can watch the games at home"

Kurt pissed the FO OFF! 

They know he wants San Fran, And doesn't want Cleveland. Anyone want to bet where he ends up IF ANYPLACE..... LESS SKINS???

Trade him for Laveranues Coles? ;)

36 minutes ago, Skinarchy said:

1st &  3rd 2017

1st 2018

Kurt pissed the FO OFF! 

Well his name is KIRK but I would definitely be in favor of this trade. I'm fine with Kirk staying and signing a LTD but I don't think you can turn down a trade like that if you are offered

1 minute ago, SlkyCaramel said:

Well his name is KIRK but I would definitely be in favor of this trade. I'm fine with Kirk staying and signing a LTD but I don't think you can turn down a trade like that if you are offered

I would. I'd need more, much more. I'd need at least 2 starters on D to go along with the picks.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

I would. I'd need more, much more. I'd need at least 2 starters on D to go along with the picks.

Nobody is giving up more than that for a QB who is about to turn 30 and never won a playoff game. We're not talking about Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or even Russell Wilson here...

1 minute ago, SlkyCaramel said:

Nobody is giving up more than that for a QB who is about to turn 30 and never won a playoff game. We're not talking about Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or even Russell Wilson here...

Then there would be no trade. Which would be fine with me.

29 minutes ago, SlkyCaramel said:

I think I've watched different games the last two years than a lot of you

So we would trade the one person who has made our team competitive for some unknowns

Ask the Rams how much the picks helped them

Unless you create one of the all time defenses, you have to have a quarterback

I also think people forget how Kirk has the team competitive with zero defense and run game

How many times did Eli have a **** game but was bailed out by defensive play down the stretch... How good did Dak look with a run game?  Remember how competent our 2012 QB looked with a running threat?

It boggles my mind that anyone is even intrigued by a trade

Archived