Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Doubling down on your own ignorance won't make the situation any better.

The Redskins are like family to me.  I have bums in my family, I still love them but I can also acknowledge they are bums.  This is where we differ.

Calling someone ignorant because they see it differently is over the top. Fine to have your opinion but the personal attack is not necessary.

More importantly, it's clear that Mortenson had it wrong and was piling on. Kirk making it clear he does not feel disrespected (I would have been surprised if he was), and that he understands this is a business. Of course he asked if they were thinking trade since all the media generated garbage about trade when it was never happening.

Just now, ThomasRoane said:

In your honest opinion, would this process have dragged on this long for RG III? 

Apples to oranges in my opinion....Had he kept balling and been on fire since his first year?  Then no, because they would have had more than one year of production and wouldn't have needed the tag this past year.   I don't think that's a fair question unless you mean had their roles been completely reversed.

That Cousins article on BRBN gave me a long overdue sigh of relief. It came to a point last week where it was hard to not buy into every PR because the media seemed to be getting it right. Glad to find out it's the same old DC media and Cousins never demanded a trade.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

40mil gtd in the circumstances is taking the piss to be fair, if that number quoted is factual of course.

Last year Denver and Von Miller were $31M in guarantees apart as late as June. The team at $39M Miller wanting $70M. In the end the team paid him. Just because you are ready to roll over and pay him what ever right now does not make it the right thing to do.

I keep going back to a car negotiation. Do you lead with your best offer? Does the dealership lead with their best offer? Also, all we heard off season is how much the team could do with an extra $4M/yr and now that the team is at least trying to save that money, they are somehow screwing things up. Double standard anyone?

Just now, LaxinFish29 said:

Apples to oranges in my opinion....Had he kept balling and been on fire since his first year?  Then no, because they would have had more than one year of production and wouldn't have needed the tag this past year.   I don't think that's a fair question unless you mean had their roles been completely reversed.

Next time you find yourself rolling your eyes while reading a question, don't respond.

16 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

In your honest opinion, would this process have dragged on this long for RG III? 

Yes. It absolutely would have if the exact same situation had happened. But it's not a reasonable comparison. Had Robert put those numbers up during his rookie contract they would have been able to sign him before the last year. This is much different. Kirk did not start until his 4th yr.

More importantly really need to let Robert go. Guy has been gone a few years. Need to stop beating that dead horse. Next thing we will hear it's actually his fault Scot M is gone or some crazy **** like that.

Two different guys with two different situations.

I'm glad Kirk did the interview. I don't know why he did but the fans needed to hear what he had to say after all the rumors. I despise the swarmy media even more. Isn't searmy that word used to describe Bruce. I feel better about Bruce and the organization and know at this point its all about the negotiation process. 

I believe that they have to get the deal done before next season plays out. If there are some struggles on offense next season I don't want Snyder getting impatient. Kirk is our QB for the future. 

6 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

from his chat with Schefter,

Sounds like Kirk's baiting us to remove the tag which then he'd be free to take any deal from Kyle.  Eff that.

He should get Kyle to cough up some picks and get this over with.

I didn't listen to it all but I didn't get that at all from the first roind of questions. He is answering just the way you would want him to. What are you referring to?

11 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Sounds like Kirk's baiting us to remove the tag which then he'd be free to take any deal from Kyle.  Eff that.

I didn't get that from listening to the interview at all.

13 minutes ago, LaxinFish29 said:

I think it's fair.  Because my point is that big contracts given out by the Redskins are based more on Dan's favor than productivity.  And history is on my side. 

19 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Calling someone ignorant because they see it differently is over the top. Fine to have your opinion but the personal attack is not necessary.

More importantly, it's clear that Mortenson had it wrong and was piling on. Kirk making it clear he does not feel disrespected (I would have been surprised if he was), and that he understands this is a business. Of course he asked if they were thinking trade since all the media generated garbage about trade when it was never happening.

I wouldn't say anything is clear about this situation. Your take is possible, but it's just as likely that Cousins realizes he's going to be playing here for the next year and is smoothing things over, being PC, and trying to avoid making this into a big situation. He is being professional. 

10 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

This is truly baffling. I am sorry, but how can anyone get this out of that interview? Here is the most important part of why this statement is completely off base - The team cannot rescind the tag. Why? Because Kirk signed it. Once signed it cannot be taken back.

2 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Burgundy BlogVerified account @BurgundyBlog

Cuz to Schefter: "Until the tag is removed from the equation…that's gonna frame the entirety of my agent's approach."

This is a general statement about the Tag being in the CBA. Not this year. He is saying his agent is working within the system as it's designed.

Again, if that were truly the case he would not have signed it. That's how Carolina was able to pull the Tag back last year. If that's really what he wanted he would not have signed it.

9 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

The day RG3 is no longer mentioned on this site will glorious.

My intent was not to dump on him or bring up that drama.  I thought I was clear in framing my argument.  That Dan has a tendency to latch on to certain players (and I listed many of them) and he bestows big money contracts on those whom he favors. 

2 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Cuz to Schefter: "Until the tag is removed from the equation…that's gonna frame the entirety of my agent's approach."

Well he was also referring to the tag in general I believe.

Either way u believe he's more or less saying that dictates his yearly price tag and he's right.

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I wouldn't say anything is clear about this situation. Your take is possible, but it's just as likely that Cousins realizes he's going to be playing here for the next year and is smoothing things over, being PC, and trying to avoid making this into a big situation. He is being professional. 

This is also true 

16 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Cousin's already signed the tag sheet. Redskins can't remove it now.

They can can however replace it with a long term deal.

18 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Last year Denver and Von Miller were $31M in guarantees apart as late as June. The team at $39M Miller wanting $70M. In the end the team paid him. Just because you are ready to roll over and pay him what ever right now does not make it the right thing to do.

I keep going back to a car negotiation. Do you lead with your best offer? Does the dealership lead with their best offer? Also, all we heard off season is how much the team could do with an extra $4M/yr and now that the team is at least trying to save that money, they are somehow screwing things up. Double standard anyone?

it depends on if the car you are trying to buy is one of the 15 in the world that runs smoothly, i may offer a little more for that

Yeah I see how you are both seeing it.  I still think his amt requested wouldn't be less than what it is due to the cap. 

I hope we can get it done and honestly don't see the delay if we truly want to.  Our FO knows his number and their number and don't seem to be budging.  Kirk will not concede knowing that greener pastures are in a year regardless of transition tag used.

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What you are suggesting is that Kirk blatantly lied, and without provocation or any need to do so what so ever.  Why would he do that? If he wants out why would he care about smoothing things over? C'mon, have we become that jaded that no matte what someone says it's discounted when it doesn't fit the narrative we want?

You are more willing to to believe that Kirk lied than to believe that Mortenson exaggerated. Who gains more from making false or misleading statements? Mortenson who got all types of attention and kudos for this "breaking" story? Or Kirk for smoothing things over? I mean if he really wants out why smooth things over? It just makes no sense at all.

Sorry, yes it's blatantly clear to me Mortenson at the very least embellished for personal gain at the very least.

4 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

He wasn't baiting the FO into removing the franchise tag from him.  He was talking about his market.  He said that having the tag placed on him precludes establishing his value on the market.  He didn't have a problem playing on the tag because he's making an assload of guaranteed money on it.  He said that if the season works out like everyone is hoping, he'd get tagged again next year.

Of course it's financially advantageous for him to keep playing on the tag because it's exploding his earning potential and he will make far more in these two years on the tag than he would have with a long deal.  What most people don't seem to understand is that every single contract in the NFL is a one year deal with a variable amount of team options.  Repeatedly playing on the tag means you're getting a top five salary and a five million dollar raise in guaranteed money every single year.  And then instead of having to wait four or five years for your contract to expire, you get to enter an ever increasing market every offseason for when you do finally have to sign a long term contract, likely increasing his guarantees each year in the process.  And the market for player contracts in general will never go down.  This situation is playing out entirely in Kirk's favor.

5 minutes ago, petedaddy said:

it depends on if the car you are trying to buy is one of the 15 in the world that runs smoothly, i may offer a little more for that

That's not the question. You may pay more for it. But are you going to make your best offer first? Are you offering top dollar right out of the box? You may end up coming closer to them that they to you. But both sides will start apart, and possibly very far apart.

Archived