Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

3 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Kirk is Cooleys buddy. And the other two are obsessed with the guy. However, Doc walker said a guy who can't win a playoff game shouldn't be paid $24M. I guess his opinion doesn't matter though...

I don't understand where these blanket rules come from. What's the cutoff for an improving QB who hasn't won a playoff game then? $19.9M is OK but $24M is not? I'd love to see Doc Walker's rules for building a team. 

Our former players and people who cover the team are generally great. But, they don't understand the intricacies of the market, the increasing cap, etc. Anyone who just makes a blanket statement about the average per year cost of signing a QB is just blowing hot air to seem tough on the radio.  

21 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If you have to give the bulk of the credit to Kirk for moving the ball at will between the 20s then you have to give the bulk of the blame to him for being so godawful at passing in the red zone. Can't have it both ways...when he does well it's him...when he does poorly it's <scheme, running game, OL, alignment of the moon, walked under a ladder>.

you do realize there is significant difference between the 20s and in the redzone right?  I mean basically you see plays that don't exist anywhere else on the field used in that area and frankly when the Skins use some of those don't exist plays they're frequently bad choices

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm sick of hearing the yards crap. The yards and QB rating are meaningless if they don't translate to TDs and if the QB doesn't perform in the red zone. Both of which are true for Kirk. Passing for 5,000 yards but only 25 TDs sucks. No other QB has passed for 5,000 yards and had less than 35 TDs. Kirk can't get it done consistently when it counts and put the points on the board. But OMG PASSING RECORDS!!11!!

Kirks's been pretty good about getting them in between the 20-30 which suggests to me play calling has been a problem

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I also agree with @BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 that Kirk is acting like a ****. For all the crap that RG3 got for not taking responsibility and being passive-aggressive (which was true), Kirk does it just as much. I don't think I've ever once heard him in a presser say "I failed at this" or "I made that mistake and it's on me" after a loss. He runs around beating his chest, screaming at people about how awesome he is (and rubbing people's heads) after a win, but after a loss it's always "WE didn't do this" and "WE didn't do that". No Kirk, YOU ****ed up. Nobody forced you to make a boneheaded play or fold under pressure. His whole "woe is me I'm so disrespected by this franchise" is lame and getting old. Man the **** up and realize that you're not as good as you think you are.

hw many QBs have you actually heard say that

5 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I literally was about to post this. If the doomsday scenario happens, I wouldn't mind it

My god....I hate being a fan of this team

5 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

I like Tyrod actually... Kirk is better though.

T-Mobile would definitely win more than a few games here in DC.

7 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I literally was about to post this. If the doomsday scenario happens, I wouldn't mind it

My god....I hate being a fan of this team

This is who I'd go after if he Kirk rolled. Tag and trade Kirk, sign T-mobile if the Bills cut him. 

12 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Sooooo...Tyrod Taylor then?

Not too crazy, if Tyrod was on our team after his 2015 season I'd assume these same fans would be clamoring to give him 25 million a year. Hey, he did only throw 5 fewer TDs that year than Kirk did this year on 225 fewer pass attempts!

23 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I also agree with @BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 that Kirk is acting like a ****. For all the crap that RG3 got for not taking responsibility and being passive-aggressive (which was true), Kirk does it just as much. I don't think I've ever once heard him in a presser say "I failed at this" or "I made that mistake and it's on me" after a loss. He runs around beating his chest, screaming at people about how awesome he is (and rubbing people's heads) after a win, but after a loss it's always "WE didn't do this" and "WE didn't do that". No Kirk, YOU ****ed up. Nobody forced you to make a boneheaded play or fold under pressure. His whole "woe is me I'm so disrespected by this franchise" is lame and getting old. Man the **** up and realize that you're not as good as you think you are.

Not sure if you listen to him every Monday morning after the game on the radio with Grant and Danny? He breaks down his faults and says he should have done this or done that. Maybe that is why you haven't heard him say anything. You probably don't listen to him on every Monday morning. 

57 minutes ago, purbeast said:

This is just false.  QB's make mistakes no matter how good they are.  They are human beings.

Video of Manning Int.

You are actually going to compare a 2 time super bowl winner and arguably the greatest QB of all time to Cousins mistakes? Manning earned the right to make a few mistakes. Cousins has performed horribly in EVERY big game he has played. Give me a break.

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

The front office blew it royally by not signing him to a longterm deal last year.

Could have got him for 18 million a year probably. That is going to look like peanuts for a competent NFL starter very soon -- just watch.

Do we know what he wanted last offseason, I've read $18 - $22 mil, the details matter.

Offer him 15 million with a lot of incentives.   If he refuses either franchise tag or let Cousins walk. You shouldn't pay top 5 qb money to middle of the road results in big games.

That last interception was classic Kirk and we needed at least the fg and he blew it.  All on Kirk that play.

Kirk played well enough under the franchise tag to earn his contract. He did not play well enough to remove all doubts. The thoughts are not mutually exclusive.

I think it's clear that Kirk can be a very good and effective QB in this league. Sure, he benefits from talent even moreso if we add a running game and defense to the mix, but in any case... he proved that he is an NFL QB and at least a good one.

We are all pissed and feel totally let down after yesterdays debacle. I did not think I could be more pissed at the team than when they lost to Carolina but they managed it. Kirk **** the bed. There is no way to get around that. He was given opportunity after opportunity and he came up empty. Yes the O'line was not good and we of course left the run game in the locker room, again. But that game was still winnable. The porous D actually played a respectable game and it was wasted by a complete **** show by the offense. Kirk missed so many wide open plays. That's now several games late in the season where Kirk came up empty in big games.

Having said that, once the emotion wears off, there are a few realities in terms of Kirk Cousins. For me, the following article from The Bleacher Report (not always a huge Cousins fan), sums it up pretty nicely. There are two paragraphs that stuck out to me. They are copied below.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2684683-kirk-cousins-has-earned-redskins-money-despite-missing-the-playofs

"I get it, Washington Redskins fans. You feel the need to blame somebody, and in this day and age, the quarterback is usually that guy. He's either the hero or the patsy, with no middle ground. But Kirk Cousins shouldn't be a hero or a patsy. He's just a good quarterback on a good team that would be a heck of a lot worse without him."

"While this loss and the final month of the season will rightly leave a bad taste in many mouths, it's important to remember Cousins is only completing his second full season as a starter. By all indications, he's yet to reach his potential."

8 minutes ago, zskins said:

Not sure if you listen to him every Monday morning after the game on the radio with Grant and Danny? He breaks down his faults and says he should have done this or done that. Maybe that is why you haven't heard him say anything. You probably don't listen to him on every Monday morning. 

I was about to say the same thing.  Anyone who says Kirk fails to take responsibility the way Griffin did is completely uninformed.  Even on the pick yesterday he clearly said he should have run with it, Griffin would have said "nobody got open".  In fact that's exactly what he said. 

What is the biggest difference between the joke of a 5 win team from 2 years ago and a team playing for a playoff spot and winning the division?  The play of the QB.  Pass protection being 2nd, that's about the only difference.  We had a better running game back then and the same embarrassing defense, but special teams were a bigger problem in '14.  But the biggest reason, by far, that we are now winners is the play of Kirk Cousins. 

37 minutes ago, blueskin said:

As angry as I am at Cousins for ****ting the bed yesterday, I still think he is the only option.  

The building of the team around him isn't done yet.  He has no running game (is that due to the OL, the backs, or the coaches?), he has no defense to support him, and get the ball back after he has a brain-fart (although they did it a couple times yesterday).  If we had a strong running game, for instance, we wouldn't need to put him in a crucial position like yesterday's 4th qtr, with all the pressure on him.  

I think it is case-closed on this: he is a mental basket case.  He has the tools, but his psyche is too fragile yet to avoid stupid decisions and bounce back from disasters... though I think he is better than he was in 2014.  This might be Peak-Cousins.  So emphasize the trenches.  

GM should focus on the supporting cast.  We need to do something about the run blocking.  I'm not impressed with Moses, Scherrf [sic], or the tight ends in terms of their run blocking.  Lauvao can go in my opinion, as can Lichtensteiger.  Dammit, I thought Callahan was the lineman-whisperer!  SMH.

It is no surprise to anyone here that the DL, secondary, and LB's are garbage.  So, with 60+ million in cap room and a middle-first round draft pick, we need to get to work. Overhaul is the key.  I don't know what options FA-wise are out there yet, but we have got to be able to get at least 2-3 good defensive starters on the market this offseason, if we're aggressive.  Couple that with drafting defense- and OL-BPA only.  And, dare I say, firing Joe Barry (preferably out of a cannon into a brick wall).  We could have had Wade Philips, but nooooo... 

But, unless he is asking for something completely outlandish, we need to keep Cousins. Bird in the hand and all that.  That is, unless some outstanding future-Tom Brady falls into our lap, but who can predict those?

+1

Paying Kirk any more (per year) than he is getting now would put him in the company of the likes of Palmer, Manning, Newton and even the devil's minion Tom Brady.  At current levels he getting paid more than Romo, Stafford & Bradford.  I appreciate the Franchise tag one year thing is distorting Kirk's pay level and some of the other contracts may be a little old. 

Luck is highest paid QB per year at approx 25 million USD.

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You are actually going to compare a 2 time super bowl winner and arguably the greatest QB of all time to Cousins mistakes? Manning earned the right to make a few mistakes. Cousins has performed horribly in EVERY big game he has played. Give me a break.

What are you talking about?  Where did I compare Kirk to Peyton?

He said this...

A top 5 QB doesnt throw a bone headed pick on the final drive when he could have run and put us in fieldgoal range instead. Just saying.

And I showed him a video of a top 5 QB who threw a bone headed pick on the final drive.

The post game interviews posted on Redskins.com made Kirk sound pissed off about the contract and unsure where he wants to be to me. They weren't flattering to anyone including himself. Now just because Kirk gives us the best chance to win now doesn't mean he's worth a long term deal for the money they are talking about. We have to demand playoffs and playoff wins to give any one 20+ a year otherwise your looking at Jay Cutler 2.0 a guy who will put up yards but wont ever win **** is that what we want? Yards and 8-8 every year or do we demand more?

Taking his limited starts that's why we have to tag him again. Players should be reaching higher and higher career marks before they get paid and while his yards went higher what else did? Give him another year to get his **** together and show he is capable of learning to tuck and run a ball when he needs to and be upfront with him about what is expected. Playoff wins and you get a contract without them this could ruin us

and let's pretend for a minute that getting top five money is not a bad thing even if just for one season, people be talking like that is an insult when it's not. Tag him again

Archived