Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Again. I think very few of us want him gone. It is more about what his value is and what effect a mega contract for Kirk has on the ability to build the rest of the team. He is a good QB. Not a top 10 one though.

It's the going rate for a QB..Why should he take less than market value? Would you take less than value at job? If the Redskins draft correctly his contract will not hurt this team..

As angry as I am at Cousins for ****ting the bed yesterday, I still think he is the only option.  

The building of the team around him isn't done yet.  He has no running game (is that due to the OL, the backs, or the coaches?), he has no defense to support him, and get the ball back after he has a brain-fart (although they did it a couple times yesterday).  If we had a strong running game, for instance, we wouldn't need to put him in a crucial position like yesterday's 4th qtr, with all the pressure on him.  

I think it is case-closed on this: he is a mental basket case.  He has the tools, but his psyche is too fragile yet to avoid stupid decisions and bounce back from disasters... though I think he is better than he was in 2014.  This might be Peak-Cousins.  So emphasize the trenches.  

GM should focus on the supporting cast.  We need to do something about the run blocking.  I'm not impressed with Moses, Scherrf [sic], or the tight ends in terms of their run blocking.  Lauvao can go in my opinion, as can Lichtensteiger.  Dammit, I thought Callahan was the lineman-whisperer!  SMH.

It is no surprise to anyone here that the DL, secondary, and LB's are garbage.  So, with 60+ million in cap room and a middle-first round draft pick, we need to get to work. Overhaul is the key.  I don't know what options FA-wise are out there yet, but we have got to be able to get at least 2-3 good defensive starters on the market this offseason, if we're aggressive.  Couple that with drafting defense- and OL-BPA only.  And, dare I say, firing Joe Barry (preferably out of a cannon into a brick wall).  We could have had Wade Philips, but nooooo... 

But, unless he is asking for something completely outlandish, we need to keep Cousins. Bird in the hand and all that.  That is, unless some outstanding future-Tom Brady falls into our lap, but who can predict those?

5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

17-14-1 as a starter the past 2 years here.  What is the last Redskins QB that has had a winning percentage better than this?

I also hate the "he is x-y against teams" argument.  Do people forget that football is a team game?  Do people think that the QB is out there on defense running things?

Hate the argument all you want, it's a very telling statistic. Want to be paid top-5 QB money? Win a big game. Clearly, the GB massacre was an outlier 

4 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Hate the argument all you want, it's a very telling statistic. Want to be paid top-5 QB money? Win a big game. Clearly, the GB massacre was an outlier 

He has "won" plenty of "big" games.  He's also "not won" some of them.

Sounds just like every other QB in the NFL.

19 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

The tag is going to be $23 mill, I believe. At this point this is our only option. Kirk showed steady improvement, but so many questions remain. 

He is 2-11 against teams finishing with 9+ wins. He is losing at least 1 of his top WRs and possibly a TE that contributed all season. Kirk's blue collar, humble attitude is perfect for a QB. But then you see his comments since the game ended, it's tough not to want him gone. It's hard not to think he DOES NOT want to be here. 

Then you look at our offense as a whole this season. In more games than not, the offense moved the ball at will, and while a lot of that attributes to the scheme, you have to give the bulk of the credit to Kirk. 

I think Kirk's value will never be higher than it is now. He's too much of a mental midget that still lacks confidence. I think it's a huge ? mark on what that dump performance will leave on his moxy going into the offseason as well. The franchise tag is a no-brainer 

If you have to give the bulk of the credit to Kirk for moving the ball at will between the 20s then you have to give the bulk of the blame to him for being so godawful at passing in the red zone. Can't have it both ways...when he does well it's him...when he does poorly it's <scheme, running game, OL, alignment of the moon, walked under a ladder>.

20 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Why do you all think Elway will pay him 25M?

I think Cousins will take less to play somewhere like Denver.  This might not mean anything to most of you but Cousins goes to my church.  I have heard him speak.  He is not greedy.  I think he wants to be free to go somewhere else.  

12 minutes ago, purbeast said:

17-14-1 as a starter the past 2 years here.  What is the last Redskins QB that has had a winning percentage better than this?

I also hate the "he is x-y against teams" argument.  Do people forget that football is a team game?  Do people think that the QB is out there on defense running things?

So when we win it's Kirk that has a "winning percentage" but when we lose to good teams it's because it's a team game and it's just as much everyone else's fault. Got it.

5 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

I think Cousins will take less to play somewhere like Denver.  This might not mean anything to most of you but Cousins goes to my church.  I have heard him speak.  He is not greedy.  I think he wants to be free to go somewhere else.  

Don't buy it. And I think Elway knows fool's gold when he sees it, especially when it comes to QBs. You saw how he handled the Brock situation. And Brock went on to get paid huge by another team and suck.

I also agree with @BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 that Kirk is acting like a ****. For all the crap that RG3 got for not taking responsibility and being passive-aggressive (which was true), Kirk does it just as much. I don't think I've ever once heard him in a presser say "I failed at this" or "I made that mistake and it's on me" after a loss. He runs around beating his chest, screaming at people about how awesome he is (and rubbing people's heads) after a win, but after a loss it's always "WE didn't do this" and "WE didn't do that". No Kirk, YOU ****ed up. Nobody forced you to make a boneheaded play or fold under pressure. His whole "woe is me I'm so disrespected by this franchise" is lame and getting old. Man the **** up and realize that you're not as good as you think you are.

Sign Cousins to a transition tag and then have the right to match any offer.. best deal for the skins. Every other team saw Cousins crap the bed the last two weeks and with Osweiler situation will be very cautious to pay him the money he thinks he is worth.

Grant, Cooley and Kevin  understand that letting a good starting caliber QB walk out the door is a stupid thing to do.  One of the main reasons we're not a 3 and 4 win team anymore is because we're getting good QB play. Let's keep building on that.

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Don't buy it. And I think Elway knows fool's gold when he sees it, especially when it comes to QBs. You saw how he handled the Brock situation. And Brock went on to get paid huge by another team and suck.

This keeps getting brought up, but the Kirk and Os situations are quite different 

Just now, grego said:

This keeps getting brought up, but the Kirk and Os situations are quite different 

Yes, Kirk certainly has more of a resume than Brock. But that is a double edge sword because, while his resume does show some impressive things, it ALSO shows some very troubling things. A guy like Elway is going to focus in like a laser on those troubling aspects of his game as they're so crucial to wins (red zone efficiency, passing TDs, being clutch at crucial times). My main point is that Elway knows QBs and he saw through Brock and I think he'll see through Cousins too.

17 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Religious people are totally against greed...

16 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Denver has already invested a first rounder in Lynch. Why would they go out and pay Kirk? Lynch eventually is going to be their starter, not Kirk.

4 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Grant, Cooley and Kevin  understand that letting a good starting caliber QB walk out the door is a stupid thing to do.  One of the main reasons we're not a 3 and 4 win team anymore is because we're getting good QB play. Let's keep building on that.

Kirk is Cooleys buddy. And the other two are obsessed with the guy. However, Doc walker said a guy who can't win a playoff game shouldn't be paid $24M. I guess his opinion doesn't matter though...

2 hours ago, Probos said:

So you think Colt can pass for almost 5,000 yards with a QBR of 97?  You're either an untapped QB evaluating genius or just a frustrated fan posting on a message board.  We'll agree to disagree.

I think those numbers are pointless. I think from a point perspective - the only stat that counts - I think you do get compatible numbers from Colt. Because of his mobility, I think Colt is a bigger threat in redzone.

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I think those numbers are pointless. I think from a point perspective - the only stat that counts - I think you do get compatible numbers from Colt. Because of his mobility, I think Colt is a bigger threat in redzone.

Colt???  Mr. Noodle-arm who's failed everywhere else he's been when he's been the guy?

NO.  Just... No.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

They're not "pointless".  I disagree about Colt and it would seem the coaching staff does too.

They're not "pointless".  I disagree about Colt and it would seem the coaching staff does too.

I'm sick of hearing the yards crap. The yards and QB rating are meaningless if they don't translate to TDs and if the QB doesn't perform in the red zone. Both of which are true for Kirk. Passing for 5,000 yards but only 25 TDs sucks. No other QB has passed for 5,000 yards and had less than 35 TDs. Kirk can't get it done consistently when it counts and put the points on the board. But OMG PASSING RECORDS!!11!!

Archived