Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Enemy Panther Fan Here - Ask Me Anything!

SamMills51

Hey! Panther fan here, hoping to be able to have some good football talk and answer as many things about the Panthers that I can! Feel free to ask me anything that you're curious about, and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

There's still a slim chance for us to make the playoffs, but that either includes the Bears beating green bay then you guys, or Atlanta losing against the 49ers this weekend and Tampa to Dallas. Not very likely sadly, but really is a bummer.

Anyways, to start off, I'll run down some stuff about the Panthers this year:

Defense:

-Our front seven is deadly, especially with Luke most likely back this game. We haven't generated much push pre bye week (7.5 sacks only), but then exploded afterwards to currently lead the league in sacks with a new DE rotation starring Charles Johnson and Mario Addison as our primary pass rushers.

Addison recently broke a season record of having the most QB pressures so far this season in one game. Even with CJ out probably, Delaire is a good situational guy like Addison, albeit his deficiencies. Ealy is solid, but nowhere near his Superbowl flash.

Kawann Short has recently played like he wants a contract, and Star is a beast. Our LBs are hands down the best in the league, with Luke and TD and Shaq beasting out there.

Your Oline will be in for a bit of a roughing real soon

-Our secondary isn't as bad as everyone makes it our. Take out the games where we had backups, unconditioned corners (Bene), and just our starting group and we have around the 11th best pass defense in the league. Bradberry is a stud; graded out better than Norman on PFF a while back, and he's the only rookie on PFF's top 25. Worley is getting it, and he's looking like he's going to be a solid corner real soon. Bradberry hasn't let a receiver go above 60 yards on him yet.

Only issue is safety, though it recently became tolerable. Kurt is decent, Boston is either really bad or really good. I think this is our major hole, and the reason we gave up so much before.

Oh, and the Falcons, Saints, Tampa, and Seattle Game?

First 3 we had Bradberry with turf toe and Worley concussed. Seattle we were withour Kurt Coleman. That basically killed us.

Offense:

-Panthers have been hurt by injuries all year. One of the main reasons we got whooped against Seattle was due to our injured O-line, and our two primary DE pass rushers being injured/getting injured that game.

We currently have 1 starter at his normal position (Norwell ar LG; beast honestly) at oline.

We have a practice squad center starting in place of our backup and all pro center Kalil (though honestly he looks better than our normal backup), our pro bowl right guard at RT (Turner; like teaching a fluent Spanish speaker French in 2 weeks), and we have Remmers at LT (like asking a dead horse to bark instead of neigh - garbage.)

Not exactly the best looking lineup to say the least.

-They also give up a lot of 4th quarter leads, why 5 out of 8 losses were by a FG or less. I think it falls on coaching more than anything for managing in the next half. We always start strong but slow down. Frustrating.

-Cam Newton has regressed mainly because he doesn't have the time he had last year from his line. Shula is bad at in game playcalling, but he's good at play design. He doesn't adjust, which is frustrating. Doesn't help Kelvin Benjamin has the football IQ of nothing and runs basic routes with barely any effort.

Personally with a healthy Oline, I think we'd have a top 5 offense this year at the very least, but it is what it is.

That's basically it. If you got anymore questions just let me know! Here's to an injury free and enjoyable game!

Could you tell your team to lay down and let the skins get an easy win, go home and get ready to carve the ham. That's really the only question i got. I hope Luke stays concussed for one more game and that cam newton has an unbearable case of the squirts. Sorry bro, but i want this win, sportsmanship be damned.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I was in Charlotte for work back in September and there was Panthers merchandise everywhere.  On clothes, vehicles, food/gas station cups, cubicals in the office, etc.

I'm just being a jerk. They've been to the SB twice in 13 years. I'm sure their fan base is probably one of the highest growing in the league 

39 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Your defense is not nearly as good as you say it is. They've been getting smoked all year 

24 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I would love to discuss things in depth, but I think my brain is in shock - I had no idea Carolina had that many HOFers.  

For real. I don't want to get into a pissing contest here but I think someone thinks their team is better than it is(jeez that reads so weird to me).

Your team had one of those magical seasons where everything went right to get to 15-1 and the super bowl and now they're back to 5-8. The defense went out of their minds last year and Gettleman thought that he could let one of the best corners in the league walk and get the same performance out of three rookies. I'm sorry, but Bradberry being better than Norman is laughable. maybe he develops, but that isn't a certainty.

Our front 7 is going to get roughed up? The Vikings would like a word.

Sorry Sam not trying to poo poo your whole post but you pretty much came in and said how great your team is and then made up a bunch of excuses for why your team is bad. Injuries happen to every team. It's called next man up. We went up to Philly and beat a pretty damn good defense without our starting center and left guard. It happens.

I'm not going to make any boasts or predictions. Our o is good, our d not so much. I will agree with you that I hope it's a good injury free game.

P.S. I'm glad that Luke is okay. That dude is effin amazing

I think we should go a little easy on the OP, it's nice to have visiting fans drop in.

I'm a little nervous about this game to be honest. The Panthers have certainly fallen, but they are still the defending NFC champs, we have a way of making every game a barn burner, and we don't exactly have a history of excelling in these nationally televised games.

After reading the OP's analysis of his team, it sounds like we're looking at strength versus strength and weakness versus weakness. For example, they lead the league in sacks, we've allowed the 3rd fewest. Their offense is injured and struggling, our defense is injured and struggling. It could be interesting.

Anyway, since it's supposed to be an AMA thread:

1. How much do you miss Josh Norman?

(Seems to me the guy is a stud, and we're glad to have him).

2. Is North Carolina still Redskins country?

(I recently moved here, and it seems to me we still have a strong following, especially among the old timers. "Fight for ol' Dixie!").

3. Are you really taking Panthers playoff scenarios seriously?

(For reference, we're sitting at 7-5-1, and I don't especially like our chances).

Edit: So much for going easy on him. :P

My eyes glazed over a bit when I read your playoff line.  You guys have about as much a chance at the playoffs as I do of nailing Kate Upton.  

At any rate,  I'm predicting a high scoring affair, and lets just hope there are no injuries on either side.  

Cheers from California.  

3 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

Hey! Panther fan here, hoping to be able to have some good football talk and answer as many things about the Panthers that I can! Feel free to ask me anything that you're curious about, and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

Do you think any part of the panthers drop off is because there is now a blueprint on how to stop cam after last years Super Bowl?

Besides PFF and being a football fan with your own opinions, do you honestly believe Bradberry is better than Norman?

Whats your prediction on the score of the game vs the Redskins? 

How do you think the panthers should attack the Redskins offense? Other than with all this raw talent you are speaking of.

Do you think Ron Rivera is doing a good job? 

Um, ok, i'll ask; enemy Panthers fan, why are you here?   JK.

um, a bit of advice to ya bro, you might wanna drop a message to Rivera to leave Luke at home; if he shows up, there's a few of us Redskins fans who are gonna kidnap him halfway through the tunnel and put the burgundy & gold jersey on him. We could use him, and about 4 other guys, on our team.

Best of luck to you and the Panthers Monday night;

not really, we're gonna stomp the **** cats into submission with an aerial attack like they've never seen before. Bank on it ! { crossing fingers ]

9 hours ago, squatch66 said:

Your team had one of those magical seasons where everything went right to get to 15-1 and the super bowl and now they're back to 5-8. The defense went out of their minds last year and Gettleman thought that he could let one of the best corners in the league walk and get the same performance out of three rookies. I'm sorry, but Bradberry being better than Norman is laughable. maybe he develops, but that isn't a certainty.

Our front 7 is going to get roughed up? The Vikings would like a word.

I'm not going to make any boasts or predictions. Our o is good, our d not so much. I will agree with you that I hope it's a good injury free game.

P.S. I'm glad that Luke is okay. That dude is effin amazing

Haha I really think our defense is underrated. You watch the games, and it's not the corners that are our problems in the secondary. Our safeties honestly are the problem without Harper's leadership, but they've really been gelling recently. Don't be surprised to see them ball out.

Right now the Panthers lead the league in sacks after a 7.5 sack disappointment the first six weeks. And 3 of our recent games were without Luke Kuechly and 2 games Mario Addison, with 6.5 sacks after the bye week.

8 hours ago, s0crates said:

Anyway, since it's supposed to be an AMA thread:

1. How much do you miss Josh Norman?

(Seems to me the guy is a stud, and we're glad to have him).

2. Is North Carolina still Redskins country?

(I recently moved here, and it seems to me we still have a strong following, especially among the old timers. "Fight for ol' Dixie!").

3. Are you really taking Panthers playoff scenarios seriously?

(For reference, we're sitting at 7-5-1, and I don't especially like our chances).

Edit: So much for going easy on him. :P

1.) Not as much as many would think. Sure, he's a huge hit this year, but Bradberry surprisingly filled in a decent role. He's sure as heck not Josh Norman the playmaker, but he's looking miles better than Norman his first 2-3 years. Bradberry has potential to be one of the best, and I'm not flubbing, but right now Norman is hands down better.

2.) Redskins sure like showing up around here, but I feel we have a much stronger Panther fanbase personally. ;)

3.) Not really. I'm already in top 10 draft pick mode, but there's always that slim possibility, and one can dream right? Haha

7 hours ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

Do you think any part of the panthers drop off is because there is now a blueprint on how to stop cam after last years Super Bowl?

Besides PFF and being a football fan with your own opinions, do you honestly believe Bradberry is better than Norman?

Whats your prediction on the score of the game vs the Redskins? 

How do you think the panthers should attack the Redskins offense? Other than with all this raw talent you are speaking of.

Do you think Ron Rivera is doing a good job? 

1.) Yes, because Shula got exposed, not Cam. Shula is probably one of the better play designers, just not the best play caller, (dare I say awful.) Most Panther fans hate him, and his plays are basically '60 style football; long, developing plays. We just don't have the tackles for his playcalling since week 3, and teams have taken advantage of that

2.) Yes, and no. Yes, he's miles better than Norman in year 1 and 2, and no, he sure isn't better than Norman right now. Bradberry only graded out better than Norman one week, and that's it.  

3.) I really wouldn't be surprised to see a defensive struggle, but then again I wouldn't be surprised to see a shootout. I predict 28-26 or a score like that, and I honestly think we can win it.

4.) Stay disciplined up front. We can apply the pressure, and with Luke back we'll stay disciplined everywhere. If we attack, I'm sure we'll give Cousins a hard time. Don't expect much of a run game, because we had the top 3 run defense with Luke in. Our weakness is we give up short passes a lot, which your west coast offense should thrive on.

5.) Sort of. As much as most fans hate him right now, he still is a 2 time coach of the year. His time management is an issue, but he's still decent. I like thinking positive for him, but I think Shula is the reason for our offensive woes.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

How do you feel about Short, Johnson, Addison, Griffin, Wendell , Jones, Klein, Jacobs and love?

Griffin is trash. Leonard Johnson is great. Mario Addison has 6.5 sacks after the bye in week 6, and being out for 2 games of Oakland and Seattle, so he's churning out. Wendell he's not even starting, nor do I recognize him. Colin Jones is a backup safety, garbage honestly Ben Jacobs is a special teams ace. Kyle Love is a beast, really good player, love him.

Archived