Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who stays? Garcon or DJax???

Renegade7

Who stays???  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Which WR should the Redskins re-sign this offseason???

I don't think its unfair to start this thread now with the replacement player on IR and both of these guys playing good to great football.

I think Cousins trusts Garcon more on important plays, but the fear of DJax is real and I believe helps the rest of the offense.  Both are 30 years old, so whatever deal they sign, they won't be the same player at the end of it, so I'd try to front load the SB and backload the rest. Realisticly, if its a bidding war for either of them, Scott will let both walk (I can see that happening for DJax more then Garcon).

Gun to my head, I find a way to keep both, even if short-term, because I really don't want to mess with this "sum of its parts" offense we have going right now.  I also need to see more from Doctson, because remember, he was supposed to be the reason we let one or both of them walk.  Potential doesn't equal production.

If either, Garcon.  DJax used to be a punt returner and a threat to take short passes to the house.  Now he's strictly a deep threat and a constant injury risk... and he's now 30.  If he wants a multiyear big deal, I think the Redskins have to thank him sincerely and wish him well.

I love DJax as a deep threat but the consistency just isn't there.   Has a big game like he did today, then will disappear for two weeks. 

I don't believe that it's all his fault, though.  I really think they should try to go deep to him 2-3 times a game like they did today because either he's gonna catch it or is a thread to draw a PI penalty.  I try to refrain from being an armchair coach and playcaller but I think this staff has largely failed in doing all that they can to get the ball in his hands and let him do damage.  Going deep, an end around, a screen with 3 or 4 blockers in front of him...they just don't have enough designed plays to get it to him, I feel.  

But when you add in how fragile he is, it's kind of hard to want to keep him unless the price is right.

Especially when compared to Garcon.  Garcon has been so consistent this year, he's bigger, more physical and durable.  He can get deep as he's shown us this season, I just don't think they do it enough for him.  

I'd like to see both of them back but if i have to pick one it's Garcon.  

You keep them both. They add so much to this offense that taking one or the other off the roster may have serious affects. We have the cap and we have no idea what Doctson is going to do or if he'll even be healthy. You keep your best players and they're two of our best players. 

There were some people pointing out that DJax does wonders to open up the field just through his presence. While I agree that he's good, we managed to play fairly well while he's injured. Garcon has been there each game, and Garcon has been making clutch catches each time we needed it this season. Both are excellent playmakers in their own ways, but I think Garcon's health is better, and his game is appearing to adjust with age.

If we could keep them both, I'd love to, but between the two, I'm pulling for Garcon. He's got a big heart, and though that heart annoys me at times, I think it counts for what we need most.

I voted both, but if that truly came at the cost of not resigning someone like Baker on defense (because, I believe Cousins will be paid top-dollar) and a choice HAD to be made...I'd go with DJax and I'm NOT proud to say that. Garcon is such a great and passionate teammate, who consistently moves the chains with first-down catches.

I just believe elite speed and ball-skills are harder to come by in a WR than elite toughness and hands. Which is why DJax is my choice. Admittedly, much of this decision is based upon a hope and belief that Doctson will be not only healthy, but a player, when he comes back next year. I think Doctson's health, ability and skill-set makes Garcon more expendable.

Now, I know that is putting a ton of faith in Doctson to not only return healthy, but also as an effective contributor on money-downs. I could be totally wrong and Garcon could move onto another team and continue to beast, but when DJax is healthy, the entire offense operates more efficiently, as long as DJax isn't being force-fed the ball when the defense is clearly trying to take him away.

It's a tough choice, Garcon is someone I rather have in the locker-room but DJax is so much more irreplaceable on the field because of the attention he receives. It's like he produces through other players like Reed and Crowder, even when he is not getting the ball.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

Did you watch today's game?

He has been  showing up the few weeks but over the past couple of years DJAX has shown more.

Its harder to replace DJAX....

You guys also forget all the PI that Jackson gets that doesnt show up on his stat sheets.

Before we make this determination we will also have to see what other Wide Receivers will be available.

I have a feeling Jackson will be the more sought after free agent because of his speed.  His speed is an asset on the field even when he isn't making a catch.  I think Garcon might make more types of catches and run more diverse routes, but the issue with Garcon is his lack of size.  Traditionally you'd want a bigger-sized WR in his role.  He is damn physical for being on the smaller end, but still it matters that he isn't a big target.

I also believe that you can replace Garcon's skill set easier.  Jackson's speed can't be coached, you either have it or you don't.  

13 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I cosign what everyone said about DJax.  He has explosive speed and nice hands, but he is injury prone and seems a bit disinterested at times.  Garcon goes over the middle and catches damn near everything thrown to him.

Yeah if DJax doesn't think he's going to get the ball he dogs it on his routes.  That pick six is 50% Kirk's fault for throwing the ball and 50% DJax because he jogged his route (failing to push the DB off) and really rounded off the route.  A good out route needs a good stem to the inside.  You want that DB to flip his hips and then cut that route off hard to the sideline.  Reed does a great job of that when healthy. 

As good as DJax is in tracking a long ball (nobody is better) he's just as bad on intermediate plays where the QB needs him to get friendly.  Getting friendly is giving the QB a target where either he gets it or the defender has to go thru his body.  Garcon picked up a big time first down on 4th and 2 by doing just that.  Garcon just brings it on every play.  No matter if he's getting the ball or not you're going to see 88 give great effort on every play. 

Archived