Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Gruden: Buy or Sell

SWFLSkins

Just now, 50yrSKINSfan said:

I am not crazy about Gruden because without checking, it seems to me that he never beats a real good team when he has to. Just my gut feeling. I thought the players were playing hard for him but Mon night they had nothing and we needed that game bad. Now good teams have a way of making you look bad but can anyone tell me if we beat any real good teams when we had to, in the last 3 years besides a beat up Packer team? Next point, coin toss. I was thinking the same thing. Why would you put your worse team on the field first? GHA would always put his D on first if he could but that was because he had a better D than his offense. Third point. No need to comment. 

First post is how I felt about Jay, middle of Dec. Second post is how I feel about him now. Seems to me Jay still has not beat a good team when he has too. We were at home against a decent team with a WEAK RUNNING game and they ran the ball down our throats as usual. Some bum got 100 yards on the ground against us and it was the 1st time all year some Giant did that and we needed the game bad. 161 yards on the ground total, disgrace. SM did you see the Giant DL stone us on the ground? Did you see the Giant D pressure KC? Please remember it next time you want to draft a guard at 5 and a lame receiver with a #1 choice.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 0:16 AM, Warhead36 said:

What's the obsession with Fangio? The Bears D is just as bad as ours if not worse. And you can say "Fangio doesn't have players", well neither does Barry.

Harbaugh was the reason those 49ers Ds were great.

Harbaugh coached the offense and Fangio coached the defense.  I lived out there and watched them every Sunday.

After the last few weeks, I'm absolutely fine with selling. He seems outclassed and outcoached way too often. 

The worst thing is just seeing these flat performances with everything on the line. This game is really one of the worst defeats I can remember in the last 25 years. I compared it to the '79 Cowboys defeat in another thread, but I don't think that's right in retrospect. In that game, both teams were heavyweights swinging with everything they had from the opening of the game, and the Cowboys came out on top. In this one, we were absolute featherweights for the game's duration and played like our season was done two weeks ago. Gonna be disgusted about this one for a long time, and when you put that side by side with the Carolina debacle, the Arizona performance, the flat start in Dallas, the fact that he is WINLESS at home vs. the Cowboys in three years ... sell Brother of Chucky. 

I'm not sure McCloughan has it in him to fire a guy like Gruden who he personally likes and probably feels an "old school football guy" kinship to.

Having to fire Nolan was a big part of his downward slide in SF.

And he then hired Singletary, a firey positional coach, as "his guy". It was a disaster despite all the talent he stocked the team with (that would eventually win a SB). So I'm not sure we should even be psyched for him to handpick "his guy". That's not really his talent, he's just a scout with a bigger title. Which could mean another Allen-influenced coaching hire.

Well Gruden sure isn't making it easier for himself.

Old habits are hard to break; same problems that the Bengals had with Gruden, the Redskins are now suffering from. Abandoning the running game and shouldering the offense on the QB.

Right now IMO he's climbed onto the same fence he did with his prior team, and he seems to be doing the same thing here as he did there, so I'm hoping that fence has some pointed pickets on it.

If he doesn't remove Barry, then I hope someone covers the pickets with Vaseline, but only the top, leave the splinters a few inches down.

25 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

There are 25 coaches in this league that can ride Cousins/Jackson/Garçon/Reed to 7-8 wins.  This game and season were no better than what we got from Zorn or Spurrier.

There's a ton of guys out there better than Gruden.  Let's find one.

I feel like there is some serious rewriting of history if you think Zorn or Spurrier were competent enough to even be in this conversation.  Zorn was the single most incompetent head coach I've ever seen on the professional level.

14 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

I feel like there is some serious rewriting of history if you think Zorn or Spurrier were competent enough to even be in this conversation.  Zorn was the single most incompetent head coach I've ever seen on the professional level.

How many games would Jay win with Campbell and Fat Portis and Snyder playing GM?  

I was wondering if it was wise to call that timeout as we crossed mid field late. The TV guys instantly questioned it saying it actually benefited the giants more, since we had them on their heels and the DL was presumed starting to get gassed. It felt rushed to me, almost to make up for the hesitancy to use any of our 3 timeouts with 32 seconds left earlier.

Regardless, we suck at time management. I know its not a perfect science but I often find myself questioning it under Jay and know I am not alone. I never remember doing that as often under previous coaches. We love to defer, all the rage, but when we get the ball near the end of the half, we don't do anything with the chance.

Jay could clearly use more former Tampa and Tusker associates to round out his staff.

I am ok with Jay.  He needs to get better with time management.  And Clinton Portis I think just explained it well on 980 -- this team fails when they become front runners and gain positive attention.  We've had two players in the last 2 weeks admit that they don't play every game with the same intensity and seem to need to have their back against the wall to bring their A game.  I don't like that.    Will Blackmon said tonight the Redskins need more locker room leaders who know how to win big games.  I agree.

Here's the link to Blackmon's comments

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/video/will-blackmon-redskins-need-more-leaders-experience-winning?utm_content=bufferbf01c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

40 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

How many games would Jay win with Campbell and Fat Portis and Snyder playing GM?  

Obviously, impossible to prove but he'd probably win a few more games and at least the team would operate at a somewhat professional level as opposed to the complete joke that Zorn teams became after the initial 6 games or so.

McCloughan has signed like 8-10 players to this roster who have played in SB's. How many players do we need who "know how to win big games" before it permeates the roster? 

That's all bull****. We need more talent, period. 

At this point, how could anyone who watches this mess be buying what Jay's selling? Great guy, probably a players best friend, but he's no leader.. You need leaders to feed of off. Our guys look around the room at all the anxiety and pee on themselves..

1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

Zorn went 8-8 first year. 4-12 second. So to recap Jay also managed 8 wins with a better team this year and he too has a 4-12 season on his resume. And Zorn called his own plays (with some help from a bingo caller) while Jay has a 30-year old boy wonder call his plays. Jay's team quit on him in December the same way Zorn's team quit on him. A stretch? Perhaps, but a case can be made. All that is missing is. Hip-hip Hooray, a swinging gate and some maroon and black.

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am ok with Jay.  He needs to get better with time management.  And Clinton Portis I think just explained it well on 980 -- this team fails when they become front runners and gain positive attention.  We've had two players in the last 2 weeks admit that they don't play every game with the same intensity and seem to need to have their back against the wall to bring their A game.  I don't like that.    Will Blackmon said tonight the Redskins need more locker room leaders who know how to win big games.  I agree.

Here's the link to Blackmon's comments

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/video/will-blackmon-redskins-need-more-leaders-experience-winning?utm_content=bufferbf01c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

That reflects a poorly coached team. Like Jay as much as you want. He failed the start and end of this season. 

I like Jay a lot but he's really making it difficult to justify keeping him around. The constant time out issues are amateur hour. The team needs a kick in the ass and I'm not sure he has the balls to do it. Still, I'm not ready to give up on him. I think he can be a great headcoach. Crazy, I know. 

@johnnylocal Sean McVay too conservative early in the game IMHO & too many things went - or were - wrong today. There's a lot of blame to go around

Diane Chesebrough liked your Tweet
8m: 
@DiChesebrough True Diane, not one person escapes responsibility, team came out flat, McJay* not as creative as last year IMO, Barry Blah.

11 minutes ago, LaxBuddy21 said:

I want 2 more years of same GM, head coach, and quarterback before we start changing things. They can shuffle the other pieces as they see fit. We need stability to succeed. 

I'd be all for stability too, if I hadn't just watched Dallas and NYG pass us up in 1 year with major new parts.. Eagles (as well) will stomp a hole in us next year, is my prediction.. Love the DC sports teams!! LOVE.THEM!! :wacko::P

Archived