Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Gruden: Buy or Sell

SWFLSkins

39 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Skin take the ball to start the game and 1st down the whole world knows we have our running personnel on the field, Giants load the box, dur

--Seems like an amateurs move to me.  

No doubt.  I was taken to task for my opinion on the predictability of the offense for the past month or so, glad to see I'm not the only one.  I could even understand if it was successful, as in we simply just overpower and outwork the men in front and get positive yards when we are obviously running.  That basically never happens though...and why does it seem we never want to run behind Trent Williams?

I apologize if this was already addressed...

WHY didn't Gruden call a TO before halftime earlier, we could have given Hopkins a better shot at a FG than what he was given???

If you look at the first down with the short pass to Thompson, Gruden is right there next to the ref and he is about to call TO and then he just stops...

9 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No doubt.  I was taken to task for my opinion on the predictability of the offense for the past month or so, glad to see I'm not the only one.  I could even understand if it was successful, as in we simply just overpower and outwork the men in front and get positive yards when we are obviously running.  That basically never happens though...and why does it seem we never want to run behind Trent Williams?

That was your quote obviously, but I agreed and have stated as much previously. This years offense was no where near as creative or unpredictable as last years IMO. I particularly single out the lack of the Trips Rt./LF. play for the RZ. Used Garcon, Reed and Crowder in the slant, so you got so many combos out of that set, also with D-Jax on the oppo going over the top, who would get forgotten sometimes deep. 

Here is something we learned Sunday.

We did the tunnel thing before the game.  It was a great experience.  Got to shake hands with Joe Gibbs for the second time of my life, and it was great to do high fives with many players, and see all the players and coaches really close up.  We and other diehards did our part to pump the team up.

One thing has stuck with us.  It bothers us.

There was no energy.  The players and coaches were all laid back. Everyone was was kind of in their own zone.  Got no sense of excitement, commitment, determination, drive.  Nobody was jacked up.  Sure, there were a couple of little huddles, and players talked, and I'm sure there was some encouragement there.  But, we got no sense of team.  For as big of a game as it was, nothing.

We didn't leave the tunnel with the sense they were ready to win.  We got no sense of leadership.

I have been a season ticket holder for a long, long time.  Super Bowl years.  I have seen and felt what playing to win is all about.  This team lacks the edge that builds winners.  The edge that says we will win.  The fans don't see it, don't feel it.  The expectation to win wasn't there.

I now know why this team comes out flat to begin every game; and why they get beat so often after halftime.  There is a problem with leadership on this team.  Changes must be made.

It starts with Gruden.  He did say on Monday that the team needs new leaders, so we will hopefully see that he means it.

I'm not sure how much the rah-rah stuff plays into being a winning team but I'd agree with you that this team really doesn't have any rah-rah in them.  That kind of thing to me is made of confidence and I can see why this team would lack in that area.  They watch tape all week, every week.  Kinda hard to build yourself up when you watch teams have their way with you nearly all the time.

I'm willing to give him one more season, but I'm not a fan. The Panthers and Giants games really gave me a bad impression of him. 2 big must win games at home and the team came out flat in both games. How does that happen? Especially the Giants game. Listening to Mason Foster say the players were "nervous" doesn't sound good. The coaches need to instill confidence in this team. I just don't see it.

Gruden's not getting fired, just stop. You guys are talking like we just went 2-14. Even the Browns fans aren't crying like this. For us- two years in a row of over .500 ball, which really should have resulted of two years in a row of playoffs as well, and now everyone wants a firesale and rebuild. Call it mediocre, but it's progress, and it's something we haven't had in decades. Where is the patience, where is the comprehension of the game? Coming into this year the predictions on this board ranged from 6-10 to 10-6, moreso right in the middle. Now, we actually finished just as expected and that's a problem?

We still have a ton of holes on defense and we all know the talent isn't in place to go deep into the playoffs (who knows what'll be possible after FA and the draft). Blame what you want on Gruden, I'm not happy with plenty of things about him, but he certainly deserves another year.

8 hours ago, MattFancy said:

I'm willing to give him one more season, but I'm not a fan. The Panthers and Giants games really gave me a bad impression of him. 2 big must win games at home and the team came out flat in both games. How does that happen? Especially the Giants game. Listening to Mason Foster say the players were "nervous" doesn't sound good. The coaches need to instill confidence in this team. I just don't see it.

That's where you need leaders on the field, because there's no translation that goes from the coach to the player.

Coach makes his speach, in the locker room, on the sideline, then when you're on the field, there's no one to keep you fired up, no one to drive you into giving more with his fiery play, or keeping you calm because that there job as well...

So that coach's speach wash away quite quickly, and you just look flat, because the other side just have them to keep them fired up.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/01/31/mailbag-the-redskins-erred-by-not-giving-kirk-cousins-a-big-contract-last-year/?utm_term=.1fb302cd4781

(Mike Jones answering mailbag q's)

(Jay and the execs)

I think that Gruden has the Redskins headed in the right direction. He’s still a work in progress as a head coach, but he’s figuring this thing out. He needs to have a good year here to earn a contract extension. It really would help him if the defense can get fixed. Hopefully for his sake, McCloughan and Bruce Allen give Greg Manusky the pieces that he needs to really fix this defense, because they didn’t whole-heartedly do that for Joe Barry. If they re-sign Cousins and Pierre Garcon, this offense keeps clicking. If they fix the defense, the Redskins will win more games. Gruden will be safe. If they mess around and lose out on Cousins, and blow it when it comes to restocking this defense, then Gruden very well could be the sacrificial lamb like Barry was this year.

But Daniel Snyder and Allen want this to work. Allen more than anyone wants Gruden to stick as head coach. This was his hire. If he was wrong on Gruden, then that seriously weakens his own job security. So, look for Allen to work very hard to give Gruden everything he needs to succeed this year.

Why have we not heard from McCloughan? Because Allen wouldn’t let him talk at the Senior Bowl last week. True story. Allen signs off on everything. He told team PR that McCloughan wasn’t allowed to speak to the media. Gruden talked to us, and Allen spoke himself, very briefly. But that’s why you haven’t heard McCloughan weighing in on Gruden or the state of the team. McCloughan and Gruden get along and think similarly. But everything runs through Allen. McCloughan reports to him, Gruden reports to him. Allen reports to Snyder.

(this is re: change from sean--if--to jay)

I don’t think so. I don’t expect much to change. This is still Gruden’s system; he was Sean McVay’s mentor. McVay called the plays, but Gruden had input, as did offensive line coach Bill Callahan, and the play-calling still leaned toward the pass. Matt Cavanaugh had three seasons as an offensive coordinator where his unit ranked among the top 10 in rushing, and no top-10 passing seasons. But I think that had more to do with personnel (Jamal Lewis at running back, and journeymen like Tony Banks, Elvis Grbac, Jeff Blake and Kyle Boller at quarterback).

Gruden has said the Redskins need to become more balanced, and that they’re working towards that. And some stability at running back could help with this some. But overall, his tendencies are what they are. He aims for balance, but enjoys slinging it around, and since the Redskins can move the ball up and down the field that way, he does. More importantly, Gruden needs to fix the red-zone offense. Perhaps a greater commitment to the run game inside the 20 could help with this aspect. But as a whole, if he can get his unit to score more points, and he still goes with the same pass-to-run ratio, I don’t think anyone will really care.

6 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Saw a 2017 Nfl Predictions at Espn.com and someone predicted Gruden would be one of 2017's fired coaches and we trade for Sean Payton to replace him.

I personally think 4 years is a decent indicator of what you will get . I laugh when teams get rid of a coach first few . Of coarse there are exceptions  . But what would of the steelers been if they gave up after a few with Chucky boy 

If Skins don't sign KC to a LTD Gruden may be unemployed after 2018.  Yes, Skins might do the silly, costly thing again and tag KC and rent him for 1 more year IF they don't sign him to a LTD and if that plays out I believe we are hitting the reset button and starting all over again after 2018.  JMO.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.hogshaven.com/2016/7/17/12205336/the-maturation-of-redskins-head-coach-jay-gruden

The Maturation of Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden

Since Jay Gruden was hired as the 29th head coach in Redskins franchise history on January 9th, 2014, he has had his fair share of detractors. Many fans voiced their displeasure when he was brought in, and those voices grew louder after he went 4-12 during his first season. What often gets overlooked is the situation Gruden had to step into. He inherited a roster void of talent at many key positions, and was tasked with fixing the mess Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen made.

In 2014, Gruden had to deal with the Robert Griffin offseason drama, which also made its way into the regular season. During that season, he had three different starting quarterbacks, and numerous injuries to key players he had to deal with. All this, while he was attempting to install a new offense, build his own identity as a head coach, and begin to develop some type of chemistry amongst the players. To put it mildly, he stepped into a walking ****-show!

The 2015 season saw a drastic turn-around within the organization, and this all started from the top. Scot McCloughan was hired at the team's General Manager, and was put in charge of the roster. McCloughan immediate set out to improve one of the worst rosters in the NFL, and he did so by putting an emphasis on big, tough, smart football players; most of whom he would try and stockpile in the NFL Draft. His goal was to provide his head coach with the necessary talent to be successful in this league, and to build a foundation that would give our once proud franchise a new identity.

<edit>

Now, getting back to Gruden...It's tough to measure a coach on just two years in a brand new role, on a team that was dysfunctional when he took it over. What we can do, is look back upon his previous coaching career, taking into account some measurable metrics, to see how he has matured in his various roles.

I think Gruden is an excellent offensive coach, and when given talent(and not always top-notch mind you)he's succeeded. He became the OC of the Bengals(his first significant NFL coaching role)in Andy Dalton's rookie season of 2011.

Now, to measure a successful offense, I always look a a number of different factors, but to me, Points Per Game holds the highest mark (because it's all about putting points on the boards in the NFL).

-2011(OC of Bengals) - 21.5 PPG(18th) -  9-7(wild card birth). Rookie QB, and first year as an OC.

-2012(OC of Bengals) - 24.4 PPG(12th) - 10-6(wild card birth)

-2013(OC of Bengals) - 26.9 PPG(6th) - 11-5(Division Champs)

-2014(HC of Redskins) - 18.8 PPG(26th) 4-12.  Inherited a roster void of talent and depth at key positions.

-2015(HC of Redskins) - 24.2 PPG(10th) - 9-7(Division Champs).  

Had Kirk Cousins in his first season as a starter.

In his five seasons running his offense in the NFL, Gruden's teams have finished in the top half of the league in points per game three times; twice finishing in the top ten. Moreover, his team's have improved in this category each year under his tutelage. He improved the Bengals in overall ranking by six positions per season over his three years as their offensive coordinator. In his first season as head coach and play caller for the Redskins, the team was 26th in the league. The following season, when he had his guy as the starting quarterback, his team improved 16 slots, to finish 10th in the league!

This improvement in scoring also showed a direct correlation in the W-L column as well. Gruden's 2011 season, his worst in PPG as offensive coordinator of the Bengals, saw his team go 9-7 on the season. As his PPG improved each year, so did his team's record. In his final season as OC in Cincinnati, his offense finished 6th in the NFL in points per game, and his team won the division for the first time under his leadership going 11-5.

This same improvement can also be seen with the Redskins, albeit in a different role, and shorter period of time. Gruden's offense was responsible for the 26th ranked unit in the league during his first season as head coach of the Redskins. In his second season, much like he did in Cincinnati, he turned the offense around, jumping to the 10th ranked team in PPG in the NFL. Based upon his work so far, one can only assume an even better season is in store for us this year.

<edit>

Another similarity between Gruden's Bengals and our Redskins with him as a head coach, is that both situations saw Gruden get the opportunity to work with a brand new starting quarterback, versus coming into a situations with a proven veteran already at the helm.

In Cincinnati, Jay got to mold rookie Andy Dalton into his offense. Dalton thrived in Gruden's system, showing improvement each of his three seasons. As a rookie, Dalton completed 58% of his passes, good for 3,398 yards and 20 touchdowns. The following season, Dalton saw improvements in every area, completing 62% of his pass attempts, for 3,669 yards and 27 touchdowns. In his final season with Jay as offensive coordinator, Dalton had his best year as a pro to date, completing 62% of his passes, for 4,293 yards and 33 touchdowns.

The years since Gruden has left the Bengals, Dalton has seen his completion percentage increase, but his yard per game and touchdowns decrease. Not surprisingly, the Bengals offense suffered as well, dropping to 22.8 PPG(15th) In 2014(the year after Jay left).

<edit> 

Finally, a great measuring stick of a head coach is how he can rally his players around him, and build chemistry amongst the team. Whether you're offensive or defensive minded, a hands-on coach, or a delegator, all successful head coaches have the ability to connect with their players and get them to buy in, while at the same time facilitating a family-like atmosphere. Making players want to come play for your organization is paramount.

It it seems from the outside looking in, that Gruden is beginning to build a positive culture at Redskins Park. Players speak very highly of him, and for the first time in what seems like decades, we have a non-toxic environment.  Beat reporters who follow the team closely have reported on a strong locker room, full of energy, positivity and leadership. It cannot be understated on how extremely important this is to a team. Now, Gruden still needs to prove himself in this aspect, because two years is certainly not enough time to fully judge, but by all accounts, he is on the right track.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dan Snyder has owned the #Redskins for 18 years. Overseen eight different head coaches. Jay Gruden is the first to get a contract extension.

Yep, Gruden wanted KC over RG3.  Tells me he get's his franchise QB on a LTD.  Really believe we'll be seeing a tweet/report of a 5 year deal with KC signed very soon.  JMO. 

Archived