Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Gruden: Buy or Sell

SWFLSkins

I'm half inclined to "tag" him too- but he has to find a new DC. Hot seat coaches have to make someone fall on the sword. 

Tag Kirk, "tag" gruden, sign Garçon or DJax, resign Davis, upgrade LG, invest heavily in defense. If that team isn't 10-6 or better in year 4 of his tenure, well, seeya. 

Sadly enough, and despite his dad, I'd love to have Shanny Jr. I think he has a very bright future. 

3 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

The running game is baffling. Inexcusable actually.

When you look back on the season, it really is unbelievable how bad the running game was. Makes one think that perhaps they gave up too quickly on Alfred Morris, because NO ONE has been able to run well and consistently with this line and scheme, save for a few occasional bursts. I've never seen a worse running team in the NFL over the last two years. Utter lunacy. 

I agree, especially with a team that is so dangerous in the passing game. The bombs don't stretch the defense. The constant third down conversions didn't. Are we too easy to key on? You'd think with a really dynamic passing game and a runner who's good at breaking tackles we'd at least be okay in the rushing department.

I'm not sure the running game issues have anything to do with the RBs.  For the past several weeks it appears the opposition knows the run is coming, loads up the box, and we proceed to run it right at them anyway.  I'd be interested to know if Kirk is able to check out of it but the personnel dictates we don't have many options.  I had this awful feeling when we elected to take the ball to start the game and 1st down the whole world knows we have our running personnel on the field, Giants load the box and no gain.  It set the tone for the day and here we are talking about next season.

Just now, benskins26 said:

I'm half inclined to "tag" him too- but he has to find a new DC. Hot seat coaches have to make someone fall on the sword. 

Tag Kirk, "tag" gruden, sign Garçon or DJax, resign Davis, upgrade LG, invest heavily in defense. If that team isn't 10-6 or better in year 4 of his tenure, well, seeya. 

Sadly enough, and despite his dad, I'd love to have Shanny Jr. I think he has a very bright future. 

Yes I would have liked us to give Shanny jr a shot . I thought he did a great job when he was here but you can't fire his dad and then ask him to take his job can you?

Just now, drowland said:

Sell!  Virtual playoff game at home against a division rival who has nothing to play for and the team is flat.  Giants came out looking like they wanted it more.

Ya but do you guys think the head coach should be responsible to fire up the troops? These guys are supposed to be pros and if you can't get fired up then you should find another job IMO.

10 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Ya but do you guys think the head coach should be responsible to fire up the troops? These guys are supposed to be pros and if you can't get fired up then you should find another job IMO.

Of course it's the HC's job to get the players fired and ready to play. We didn't see that in the Pitt, Carolina, NY, or Cin games. We had two chance to solidify the playoff spot and we pooped the bed in glorious fashion. Carolina and NY. JG is less and an average coach when you consider all the responsibilities of a HC. That said I don't know if there any berrer option out there right now.

6 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Unless Scot already has a couple guys he really likes, I can go along with this.  But, make no mistake, Jay will absolutely be fired no later than Jan 2018.

At the moment, I'm liking Jay as a bridge coach, you know, the guy who sets the table, rights the climate, but isn't quite championship caliber. Sort of like a reverse Marty Schottenheimer. Marty would never get you to the big game, but he will make your team competent and good. The Redskins need to learn to be good even if Gruden is not ordained for greatness.

I'm hoping that Jay's more than that. He certainly has been our best since Gibbs II, but he has a couple of leaps to make. His teams aren't ready and I don't know that we are that much better a team at game 16 than we were at game 1 this year.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not sure the running game issues have anything to do with the RBs.  For the past several weeks it appears the opposition knows the run is coming, loads up the box, and we proceed to run it right at them anyway.  I'd be interested to know if Kirk is able to check out of it but the personnel dictates we don't have many options.  I had this awful feeling when we elected to take the ball to start the game and 1st down the whole world knows we have our running personnel on the field, Giants load the box and no gain.  It set the tone for the day and here we are talking about next season.

It's when Ryan Grant comes in, for some reason, we run a lot when he's in the game. 

Anyway, I never liked the hire. We're winning despite his coaching gaffs. I want him gone...

But I know he's not going anywhere this year. Can't fire a coach after having back to back winning seasons for this franchise in almost 20 years.

I'm on sell. Purge the entire staff and start fresh. Jay coaches too tight, makes too many in game mistakes and doesn't get his team motivated to play. Too many games our team comes out flat when it really matters. His plateau is offensive coordinator. He's Norv 2.0.

Hire a guy to be just the head coach and who delegates the offense and defense to their coordinators. Let the head coach focus on motivation and in game decision making. I'm sick of seeing us leave time outs in our pocket and managing game day so poorly.

A new DC should be of enough clout that he could become the next HC should Gruden fail to take the next step next year. Who? Not sure.

But the only reason any fan in their right mind says "buy" on Jay is fear of change, he is basically the same guy he was three years ago. The only place he has grown is on what he says and doesn't say in pressers. His teams have the same issues in game 48 as they did in game 1. He knows his version of the WC offense and he relates well to hardworking/average talented system guys because he was one (thus his hard-on for Kirk, Kelley, Grant, etc.). He is a players' coach who paces practices for the long haul but it comes at the cost of discipline. He cannot manage a clock and his teams look bewildered at times. And, for someone who was a QB st a pretty high level, his four and two minute offenses are pretty awful.

The back-to-back winning seasons are in-spite of this man, not because of him. He hasn't made a single in-game decision in three years, sans the fake punt in game three this year, that has "won" a game... there have been plenty of times his flaws have cost games. 

We would bemoan a player who did not improve over three seasons, why should the coach be allowed to consider to trip over himself for three years. 

Just now, Warhead36 said:

How many coaches are legit better than Gruden? I mean Bellicheck sure, but after that? Any coach you name just has more talent. Guys like Andy Reid, Mike McCarthy, and Mike Tomlin continue to make boneheaded blunder after boneheaded blunder and they've been coaching for years.

We beat the Giants in New York in Week 3 which was essentially a must win game since we were 0-2. We also beat the Ravens in Baltimore who are a playoff contender. We beat the Packers on national TV who are a playoff contender. Last year we went into Philly and won a game that decided the division.

But I guess wins in the NFL don't count unless you beat the Patriots in Foxboro.

Warhead36, still feel the same way after Sundays game?  How many coaches are leget better than Jay now? I would think all that got their teams into the playoffs plus a bunch more like Payton and a few more.Like I said Jay has still not beat a good team when he has to. Jay got out coached by a rook coach Sunday, and gave us another stinker, at home on national tv. Why no safety valve close to KC when he was being pressured at the end of the game. Guy has to complete a 20 yarder with no time with Giant rushers in his face, WTF. Were we not at the edge of FG range? The game in N.Y. Jay was lucky. The Giants dropped 3 td passes and Eli threw a bad interception when they were in the red zone, closing in for the kill. Philly last year, they were not a good team by a longshot and they were mailing it in. Ravens, really? Packers this year, caught them in a down, injury filled time. They would beat us bad, just like last year, if we had to play them in the playoffs in GB. Losses to a wild card team count a lot when the playoffs are on the line and you are the favorite and at home. Now with all respect I voted to keep him as I think good organizations do not fire coaches every year, but he better figure out how to be better and he needs better assistants and talent. Next year he should have more talent and I hope a better dc and I hope a better schedule so we will see.

With the way the team finished this season there's a pretty good argument to make that it's justified to fire Jay and his staff.  Absolutely.  I'm not sure if he should be -- just saying there's an argument to be made.  That loss yesterday, at least from my perspective was as much on the coaching staff as anyone else.  Kirk is getting the lions share of the blame so far and that stands to reason as the QB usually does, and considering the potential pay day he's due.  But in the last 6 games they win two and lose four.  Three of those losses they can out totally and completely flat emotionally (Cardinals, Panthers and Giants) and I generally attribute a lot that to leadership from the coaching staff.  The players are also responsible but they just seemed woefully unprepared for those games in particular.  I mean, the Giants had nothing to play for and it seemed at the end of the game they weren't doing anything overly creative to put a fork in the Skins at the end.  I almost felt as if they were giving Skins a chance to win the game at the end int the 4th.

Anyway,...I'm not advocating firing Jay.  Honestly, I'm not sure who the Skins could get that's better at this point.

Just now, Probos said:

With the way the team finished this season there's a pretty good argument to make that it's justified to fire Jay and his staff.  Absolutely.  I'm not sure if he should be -- just saying there's an argument to be made.  That loss yesterday, at least from my perspective was as much on the coaching staff as anyone else.  Kirk is getting the lions share of the blame so far and that stands to reason as the QB usually does, and considering the potential pay day he's due.  But in the last 6 games they win two and lose four.  Three of those losses they can out totally and completely flat emotionally (Cardinals, Panthers and Giants) and I generally attribute a lot that to leadership from the coaching staff.  The players are also responsible but they just seemed woefully unprepared for those games in particular.  I mean, the Giants had nothing to play for and it seemed at the end of the game they weren't doing anything overly creative to put a fork in the Skins at the end.  I almost felt as if they were giving Skins a chance to win the game at the end int the 4th.  Anyway,...

I felt the same way when the Giants had all those 3 and outs. Felt they were not taking any chances and their D owned us so. Then  Eli had to hit the one pass that killed us. Seen him do it a mil times. He stinks up the place for 55 min then hits everything he throws up. Of all teams to loose to.

I think it's a no-brainer that he coaches next year. It gets a little tricky after that since he'd be going into his final year in 2018. That is often the time teams either extend a coach or move on. I don't think he's on the hot seat entering the year, but I think the tone of the season will determine if he sees an extension. 

23 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Skin take the ball to start the game and 1st down the whole world knows we have our running personnel on the field, Giants load the box, dur

--Seems like an amateurs move to me.  

Archived