Patriots 8

Dolphins 9

Steelers 11

Chiefs 16

Packers 20

Seahawks 22

Giants 29

Lions 30

The Redskins are 14 with an additional 5 yards per game putting us in the top 10. I think It's an outdated correlation. 

That's 60% of the Top 10 in rushing, not bad. And 50% of the teams in the playoffs.

The missing teams? The Bills, Titans, 49ers and Eagles.

Only the 49ers really sucks, other had their opportunities.

Now, if we go into the playoffs, and improve into the Top 10, it's either the Packers or the Lions that are out of it, which would make 70% of the Top 10 rushing teams in the playoffs. Which is 58.33% of playoffs teams.

Passing rankings in the playoffs

Falcons 3

Patriots 4

Steelers 5

Packers 8

Raiders 9

Seahawks 12

Lions 14

Giants 17

Cowboys 19

Chiefs 21

Dolphins 26

Texans 29

That's not even 50%

You sure it suits your narrative?

I don think the Redskins need alot of yards from the game. It's the way they run and how they run.  To me, short passes are an extension of the run game and we failed to do that in the carolina game.  I think its fair to ask why we dont use both Kelley and CT in the game at the same time

3 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I don think the Redskins need alot of yards from the game. It's the way they run and how they run.  To me, short passes are an extension of the run game and we failed to do that in the carolina game.  I think its fair to ask why we dont use both Kelley and CT in the game at the same time

Seemed to me in the Carolina game we tried a lot more short out routes than usual.. In wonder.. did they do anything specific to remove the middle of the field?

~Bang

2 minutes ago, Bang said:

Seemed to me in the Carolina game we tried a lot more short out routes than usual.. In wonder.. did they do anything specific to remove the middle of the field?

~Bang

Really?? It seemed quite the opposite to me that they are were trying to run alot of deep ins, deep outs and alot of deep crossign routes.

3 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Really?? It seemed quite the opposite to me that they are were trying to run alot of deep ins, deep outs and alot of deep crossign routes.

lol.. maybe i was stoned or something and not remembering everything.
A distinct possibility. ;)

~Bang

3 hours ago, jpage520 said:

This is important. This offense is VERY explosive. But it doesn't hold up nearly as well if we don't establish SOME kind of running game. .....

...The running game NEEDS to be effective if for nothing else but to contribute to the clock management, getting the defense some rest, ball control, and field position.

I agree that we need to run the ball.  I am not convinced we need to be good at running the ball to succeed.  As mentioned above, the short passing game is an extension of the running game.  As long as we keep the chains moving, it is okay to pound the ball into the line for 2 yard gains.  We did this last year - we ran a lot, but weren't good at it.  The key is balance.  We need to run the ball about 25 times (or more) a game.  If we can keep the chains moving, we can run this much even if the yards per carry is low. 

As for buy/sell on Gruden - I am fully in his camp.  This is his 3rd year.  We aren't there yet, but we can all see how close we are.  A couple new players, a couple good breaks during a game and we will be a 10+ win team next year.   Gruden's offense is good enough to win championships.  Special teams slipped a little this year, but it seemed to be mostly individual players messing up.  On defense, I am not sure how much Gruden is responsible.  His off-season involvement will likely be seen this year as we do or don't move on from Berry.  Gruden might be the best coach we have had since Gibbs 1.  Certainly he is the best since Gibbs 2.

I'm not the biggest fan of Gruden's pass happy ways. I would prefer a coach who runs the ball 30-40 times a game. So I have a philosophical difference with him.

However I think we should stay the course with Gruden. He's earned it with back to back winning seasons for the first time in almost two decades. The players like him and respond to him. Despite my philosophical difference, ultimately I think it would be stupid to change course now.

13 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

If McVay leaves would anybody be worried about the O? 

Not too much because it's still Jay's system.  The only concerning part would be finding a coach who is as hands on as him when it comes to the QB's.  He's forever interacting with our QB's and I think that is a good thing to have.  But if someone new comes in, I don't think the system is changing much at all.  

18 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

Not too much because it's still Jay's system.  The only concerning part would be finding a coach who is as hands on as him when it comes to the QB's.  He's forever interacting with our QB's and I think that is a good thing to have.  But if someone new comes in, I don't think the system is changing much at all.  

McVay is very young.  I think and hope that we have him for 1 or 2 more years before he is poached/promoted.  It would worry me to lose him, but I am not familiar with who else we have in the organization that can step in as an expert in the Gruden system.  Would these younglings follow McVay?

3 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

That's 60% of the Top 10 in rushing, not bad. And 50% of the teams in the playoffs.

The missing teams? The Bills, Titans, 49ers and Eagles.

Only the 49ers really sucks, other had their opportunities.

Now, if we go into the playoffs, and improve into the Top 10, it's either the Packers or the Lions that are out of it, which would make 70% of the Top 10 rushing teams in the playoffs. Which is 58.33% of playoffs teams.

Passing rankings in the playoffs

Falcons 3

Patriots 4

Steelers 5

Packers 8

Raiders 9

Seahawks 12

Lions 14

Giants 17

Cowboys 19

Chiefs 21

Dolphins 26

Texans 29

That's not even 50%

You sure it suits your narrative?

You sure you understand correlation and causation? Cuz none exists here. It's not even close. Know where there is correlation? Total yards, first downs, and 3rd down conversions. Almost the entire top ten is teams competing for the playoffs. It doesn't matter whether you run or pass. It matters that teams move the ball. Moving the ball leads to points and keeps ball out of the other teams hands. If you can't do that, you better have a hell of a defense. Let's just the run narrative. It doesn't hold up yet it's ingrained in a lot of people's brains. 

Just now, LaxBuddy21 said:

I still don't get the run obsession. It's not the 80s any more. We need do what gets first downs and into the end zone period. Running may help the red zone struggles but we don't have the offensive line that knocks guys off the ball. I think more creative play calling will have a bigger impact than straight running the ball just because. More deception and changing formations at the line so the defense has to pause and think would go a long way. 

You need balance in a offence. If you just pass pass pass then a good D will be able to tee off and rush the passer on every down. It makes for a long day. If you play in the north east and outdoors you need a running game because sooner or later you will have weather that foils the passing game and it usually happens in the playoffs. Balance is the key.Cheers.

3 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

You need balance in a offence. If you just pass pass pass then a good D will be able to tee off and rush the passer on every down. It makes for a long day. If you play in the north east and outdoors you need a running game because sooner or later you will have weather that foils the passing game and it usually happens in the playoffs. Balance is the key.Cheers.

Then why Dallas the only team around 50% rushing? Pretty much every other team is closer  60/40 pass run. Not saying the run doesn't matter at all but the idea that we need to run more is not at all supported by the numbers. The NFL has changed. Know why we have been more consistent? We finally have an effective pass offense. Our rush offense is more than sufficient. The only improvement I think we need is linemen that can get better push off the ball in short yardage and in the red zone. It's time to get with the times. 

Just now, LaxBuddy21 said:

Then why Dallas the only team around 50% rushing? Pretty much every other team is closer  60/40 pass run. Not saying the run doesn't matter at all but the idea that we need to run more is not at all supported by the numbers. The NFL has changed. Know why we have been more consistent? We finally have an effective pass offense. Our rush offense is more than sufficient. The only improvement I think we need is linemen that can get better push off the ball in short yardage and in the red zone. It's time to get with the times. 

It does not have to be a true 50 50 and the passing yards will be more than rushing yards but you need the rushing  attempts to keep the D honest. In today's pitch and catch NFL short passing has taken a lot of running out of the offense but you still need a rushing attack. Maybe a coinsidence but 2 teams with best records have most rushing attempts and they stop the run the best, Dallas 1 Pats 3. Seattle not as good without beastmode. Look what the Panthers did to us on the ground.

13 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

It does not have to be a true 50 50 and the passing yards will be more than rushing yards but you need the rushing  attempts to keep the D honest. In today's pitch and catch NFL short passing has taken a lot of running out of the offense but you still need a rushing attack. Maybe a coinsidence but 2 teams with best records have most rushing attempts and they stop the run the best, Dallas 1 Pats 3. Seattle not as good without beastmode. Look what the Panthers did to us on the ground.

Teams that win a lot run a lot because they are running out leads late in games.

Other then Dallas, every other quality playoff team is built primarily around their passing game.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Teams that win a lot run a lot because they are running out leads late in games.

Other then Dallas, every other quality playoff team is built primarily around their passing game.

Yes but you need a good running game to run out the clock, it doesn't just happen. If you can't run, and get stopped, then the other team will get the ball back. You can't throw because if it is incomplete the clock stops and you give the ball back with more time on the clock. If you can churn out 1st downs on the ground, you use the clock and hold the ball. You have to be able to run it and not get stopped even when the other team knows you are going to run.

Last year at the beginning of the season, we tried running the ball. But, Gruden was almost clockwork on calling plays.

1st- run

2nd- run

3rd -pass

After a few games like that we were lighting up ES ****ing about his bland, predictable playcalling. Then he started to pass on 1st and 2nd downs and that's when KC and the offense took off.

Our line isn't that good with running the ball but they're very good at pass protection.

But a running game is needed, but if we're punting the ball and opponents are scoring TDs, he can't stick to the run game philosophy any longer or it will really force our hand and we'll end up going 90/10 in pass vs run just to try and catch up.

3 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

I'm arguing against having running game. Of course you need one. I'm saying it's not nearly as important as people on this board make it out to be. Any time we lose, the default around here is we need to run more like it's gospel. We need to move the ball and score. Doesn't matter how. A short passing game is just as effective. We need to be unpredictable to keep defenses off balance and that can happen many different ways. Our passing game sets up our running game as much as running used to set up the pass. 

Archived