Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should the Redskins bench Trent Williams for the rest of the season

wolfsire

Should the Redskins bench Trent Williams for the remainder of the season?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Given a second failed drug test and the investment the team has made in him to focus on his work and keep a clear mind

• No. He's all-conference and can help us.
    • Yes. He's shown extremely poor judgement and hurt his team.
    • I can't tell he's gone.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

The bigger question to me is do you put Trent in and flip Ty to the right side so Moses can get some time to heal that ankle of his?

This is something I have thought about, and it's not meant as any indictment of Moses, but if some rest would help him be in better health come January, I would say go for it.

Trent who??  Didn't even know he was out of the lineup.

But seriously, Trent is one of, if not our most talented player. Can't bench that guy. But he should have to work his was back in, and the C on his uniform should be gone.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I'm going to be a contrarian just for the sake of conversation.

Trent has been battling leg injuries all season. The line is performing well right now. If Trent is still hurt and an extra week gets him from 80% to 90% then let him sit. If he's already at 100% then you play him. 

The bigger question to me is do you put Trent in and flip Ty to the right side so Moses can get some time to heal that ankle of his?

This is a very good idea and if I was Gruden I would seriously think about it.  it would be huge to have the OL 100% healthy heading into the playoffs.  Problem is Ty is also hurt from what we know.  But if we lock up a wildcard before the Giants game I am all for taking out Cousins, Scherff, Moses to give them two weeks rest.

22 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

@wolfsire - Several have already mentioned this to try and help you. You really need to delete the photo from when you quoted alvinwaltonsmyboy - While it's completely up to the discretion of the mods, you could very well get an unscheduled vacation from the board. It is a major pain point as it needlessly takes up space making the threads much longer than they need to be.

Now to the thread itself: No, this is an absolutely senseless thing to do.

First, while Trent owns missing the test, it was stupid - but lets stop pretending like he failed a whole bunch of tests. He thought he could blow off one of the tests because he had one to miss - a stupid position to put himself for sure - but then the NFLPA lawyer agreed to a penalty as if he failed/missed an additional test. So he got punished for 2 misses when it was only one. The fact that there is no recourse to contest this is another example of the incredibly horrible CBA the players signed! It's like they had law students in their 1st year against the best most seasoned attorneys in the country. They got their collective heads handed to them. But that's another conversation.

Trade him? To who? For what? He is arguably the best LT in the NFL! Yes, Ty is playing decent. But don't forget last week we had no run game. Not all Tys fault by any means as we have run better to the right side all year. You would never get his worth back - not to mention it would be difficult to move his contract. 

The only thing more crazy than trading him is benching. That's a cut off your nose despite your face. Just makes no football sense what so ever - especially not during a key stretch of the season when you are trying to make the POs. Afte the season? Benching still makes zero sense. A trade? Still crazy but at least a more plausible thing depending on what they feel the risk is of him getting a 1 yr ban. Still, considering the actual circumstances, I would take my chances with him. He is just too good and the suspension was as much the NFLPA incompetency as TWs own stupidity.

A legitimate question is, where does he play when he comes back. Ty is clearly playing pretty well, at least for now. I like the idea of moving him to RT and letting Moses rest that ankle. We will need him if we make the playoffs.

If you really want the best 5 on the field, you could, just for the rest of this season, move TW to LG. Lavauo is clearly the weakest link on that line. That upgrade could possibly completely change our run game in a positive way. BTW: Ty is too long to play LG. TW is a great combination of both long enough but can play it tight spaces well too. he is a true freak of nature athlete.

I agree with you that benching him is a bad strategy.  Trade may however make sense if the Skins got real value although given the big contract the Skins gave Trent the market for a talented but unreliable left tackle with a monster contract may not be great but I'd explore it and do a deal only if the Skins got premium value.  Perhaps another franchise would trade an all pro defensive lineman that would provide more value going forward than Trent.  Maybe another franchise would fill the NFL will drop the weed ban soon and offer a lot more value.  It is worth exploring.

1 minute ago, Veryoldschool said:

I agree with you that benching him is a bad strategy.  Trade may however make sense if the Skins got real value although given the big contract the Skins gave Trent the market for a talented but unreliable left tackle with a monster contract may not be great but I'd explore it and do a deal only if the Skins got premium value.  Perhaps another franchise would trade an all pro defensive lineman that would provide more value going forward than Trent.  Maybe another franchise would fill the NFL will drop the weed ban soon and offer a lot more value.  It is worth exploring.

Let's not act like Ty's 26. Dude is 31 and even if he didn't play much until lately, he's getting old. So he'll be a placeholder until we find Trent's replacement long term.

Some real crazy talk here about trading Trent etc.  Look the team needs to understand what is going on here.  Was it a stupid mistake by him missing the test?  Some misunderstanding?  or did he do it on purpose because he knew he wouldn't pass it and I believe then he would have a longer suspension since he already has one strike against him.   Trent is not an idiot, this suspension hit his wallet in a major way.  Plus in the very near future I think smoking pot will be allowed, especially as more and more states are legalizing it.

36 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Trading a top 3 LT in his prime would probably work out great for the redskins. I mean, what could possibly go wrong in this scenario? 

He looked pretty good at guard, if the coaches think it would help I'd love to see him play LG when he comes back.  If we can eek out a bit more consistency in the running game, we will be hard to stop. It's very close.

Not talking a permanent move, just something for the home 2016 home stretch.

49 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

This is a very good idea and if I was Gruden I would seriously think about it.  it would be huge to have the OL 100% healthy heading into the playoffs.  Problem is Ty is also hurt from what we know.  But if we lock up a wildcard before the Giants game I am all for taking out Cousins, Scherff, Moses to give them two weeks rest.

Heck no, I want Cousins you play to break records.  

10 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

He looked pretty good at guard, if the coaches think it would help I'd love to see him play LG when he comes back.  If we can eek out a bit more consistency in the running game, we will be hard to stop. It's very close.

Not talking a permanent move, just something for the home 2016 home stretch.

I would love to see this also. Although @Burgold makes a very good point about moving Ty to RT to rest Moses. My understanding is that he is palying with a lot of pain. Sprained ankles can be very painful, especially for someone who footwork is critical to their job.

2 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

.....let him play, but he is no longer a captain.....

Why should he lose his captain position? Who are we to decide who should be the team captain? The team immediately came out and made an emphatic statement that he was their captain and this issue was not changing anything. They realize what many fans continue to ignore - while it was a poor decision - the suspension was also due to the NFLPA incompetence.

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

I'd like to see how Scherff and Trent perform together.  If Nyseke (or however it's spelled) is holding down the left fine, yeah, why not slide Trent to the right?  Once Moses heals up, put Trent in at LG for the paloffs?

For me the point of confusion was are the failed marijuana tests the same old ones or a fresh new set of them? If I am understanding its a fresh new set of failed tests versus the same ones from 2011. The way I've heard this described was when Trent got suspended in 2011 that whole drill was moved on from by the new CBA and players started fresh.

If so, take it from the perspective of the employer.  If I had a pot issue in the past and was suspended from work back then and told many people hey I put that stuff behind me.  Then 5 years later I fail multiple marijuana tests but I tell my employer hey I knew I could be suspended and it was headed that way but I didn't think I was this close to a suspension -- so I blame the people overseeing this for getting this wrong by not warning me properly.  I doubt my employer would give me a pat on the back and say look dude yeah I am ok with you taking your pot problem right to the edge as long as you pull back in the nick of time-- instead, I'd bet they'd be disappointed in me.

My point is how do we know this problem is just a temporary blip?  This is round 2 for Trent.  So as for trading him (not that I would), the dude gets paid a ton of money -- wouldn't other teams hesitate a little on him?    Just playing some devils advocate on this issue because it doesn't seem like its on the table in these debates that Trent could mess up again -- if he does isn't it likely a year suspension, next?

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/trent-williams-stunned-suspension-after-procedural-mishap-report

The infractions that led to his four-game suspension were positive marijuana tests and, in one instance, a missed test, according to sources familiar with the matter. But the escalation of penalties did not follow protocol, in the view of Williams’ camp...

38 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We just saw what a great OLine can do for you, especially with a young QB and for a running back.

Why on freaking earth would you give away or worse, take away and bench a 26yo LT, who's one of the best in the league and athletic enough to play TE?

What's the chances on us seeing the silverback catch a pass for a Td before seasons end?

Archived