Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins 2017 contract discussion/prediction

Tsailand

Mid-way thru last year when we first started talking about Kirk contract, we were looking at $12-$15M/yr. After last season, we were looking at $20M/yr. Now after this season we will be looking at $23M+/yr.

I know he was pumped after the game. Very pumped. But, his interaction with McClu seemed pretty disrespectful and seemed to say "I can't wait to make you regret not signing me long term." There certainly won't be any discount.

13 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Crazy thought but do we think there is a scenario where we offer a legit contract (lots of $$ as he has deserved this) and he walks away because he doesn't want to stay a Skin?

That would break my heart.

If it were the old regime I could almost see that, but Jay Gruden really went to bat for him and apparently so did Scott. Despite the RGIII thing they kept giving him chances and the franchise tag was not an insult, but a complement... We absolutely don't want to lose you. I would think that he really likes what he has going on around here now. Jay and McVay seem to be a really good fit and really in his corner. We have really good receivers and a good pass blocking line too.

Would he really want to go to the Browns or some other rebuilding team? Maybe if the Broncos broke the bank and he thought he would be in a perennial Super Bowl contention he could do a Lebron, but I think it would have to be money plus a really good team. Really good teams generally don't have to break the bank for a free agent QB.

10 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Not necessarily. It all depends on how much is guaranteed and what is actually hitting the cap. Outside of that, all we're doing is nitpicking on how to spend Snyder's money. 

If the Redskins signed him to a 6-year deal with $72M in guarantees (enter whatever total contract value you want) that would only equate to an average of $12M per year of cap hit. With the cap exceeding $150M now (and only going up), that's about 8% of the cap. It seems acceptable to allocate 8% of your cap to a QB who is putting up top-5/top-10 numbers over a 2-year period and is entering his prime. 

Yea, contracts do get confusing, to me. But I'm still weary about seeing those big contracts, then the player's performance hits the floor, then being stuck with it, but then again the actual 'guaranteed' part of it covers that to a degree.

But, they could offer a middle-of-the-road contract loaded with incentives. IMO that's the best way to go for most players. He hits a plateau of TD passes = $, passing yds = $, etc.  Would that work out better for both sides or is it painting the QB into a corner to achieve/take chances to hit some of the goals?

1 minute ago, skins island connection said:

Yea, contracts do get confusing, to me. But I'm still weary about seeing those big contracts, then the player's performance hits the floor, then being stuck with it, but then again the actual 'guaranteed' part of it covers that to a degree.

But, they could offer a middle-of-the-road contract loaded with incentives. IMO that's the best way to go for most players. He hits a plateau of TD passes = $, passing yds = $, etc.  Would that work out better for both sides or is it painting the QB into a corner to achieve/take chances to hit some of the goals?

That would be great for the team, but there's no reason (or incentive, if you will :)) for Cousins to agree to that. Someone is going to give him a standard-issue, 9-figure contract offer based on his play. 

Does the possibility of McVay leaving next year affect the FO's willingness to pony up for Cousins?  He has called himself a "system QB" multiple times (in a good way - he gets the ball to the playmakers).  

If there is a chance were going to be running a new offense next season, does the FO use that as a bargaining chip?  How much value does Cousins lose if you take away the offense he is used to running for the past 3 years?

I really hope McVay doesn't leave.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

If it were the old regime I could almost see that, but Jay Gruden really went to bat for him and apparently so did Scott. Despite the RGIII thing they kept giving him chances and the franchise tag was not an insult, but a complement... We absolutely don't want to lose you. I would think that he really likes what he has going on around here now. Jay and McVay seem to be a really good fit and really in his corner. We have really good receivers and a good pass blocking line too.

Would he really want to go to the Browns or some other rebuilding team? Maybe if the Broncos broke the bank and he thought he would be in a perennial Super Bowl contention he could do a Lebron, but I think it would have to be money plus a really good team. Really good teams generally don't have to break the bank for a free agent QB.

I just saw the vine video from after the GB game that's circulating and people's interpretations of it meaning that there is some latent hostility/anger on the part of Cousins and it gives me pause re: his willingness to resign with us.

57 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

I'm not sure in this kind of free agent market that we have the luxury of setting negotiation terms like that.

If he continues to perform, we will have to offer a lot of guaranteed money or he's going to walk. Simple as that.

5 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

if we make the playoffs and we win a game, its going to be very similar to Luck's contract and will not be surprised if its more.

If not, I see something like 110 million 55 guaranteed for 5 years.

It should be more. He's a better QB than Luck.

I read an article on ESPN that said he most likely will get around or more than what Luck got ($24.5 mil/yr) in a long term deal.  I'm 100% fine with that based on his play last season and his play this season starting week 3.  I don't think there will be an issue signing him long term.

I think the offer will be fair enough that he will not decline this time and the Redskins won't be forced to apply the tag.  Last year, I had no doubt Kirks camp was going to ask for more money than the Skins were willing to offer long term.  Because they were happy with the near 20 million/1yr franchise tag.  And the Redskins obviously were fine with that too, considering they never budged.  

I also remember making the comment in one of the Cousins threads that it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to play under the tag again next year to maximize his money.  But after thinking about it, I don't think he will go that route again.  Unless the Redskins make a low ball offer.  Which based on his stats this year, I don't think that will happen.

Right now, he is #3 in total passing yards (3091 yards), #5 in yards per pass attempt (8.05), #8 in completion percentage (67.2%), #12 in total TDs (17 TDs), 98.8 QBR.  He's out performing a lot of great QBs right now, a lot that have made it to or won a Super Bowl.  Not putting him in an elite status by any means, but he is balling right now, just like last year and I don't think it's a fluke, which is why I think Scot locks him up.

3 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

Does the possibility of McVay leaving next year affect the FO's willingness to pony up for Cousins?  He has called himself a "system QB" multiple times (in a good way - he gets the ball to the playmakers).  

If there is a chance were going to be running a new offense next season, does the FO use that as a bargaining chip?  How much value does Cousins lose if you take away the offense he is used to running for the past 3 years?

I really hope McVay doesn't leave.

I don't see McVay leaving. I don't get Head Coach vibes from him just yet. He still needs more seasoning. Besides, its Gruden's system. McVay just calls the plays and helps in the design of the offense.

If Kirk Cousins can beat Dallas then I think Snyder will stop being the nay-sayer.  Even so, I don't think the GM is going to allow the team to put all of its resources into one position.  Cousins is not good enough that he can play behind a lousy OL or with just pedestrian WRs.  Right now the OL is playing well and the Skins have a great group of experienced WRs and TEs - yet we are always at risk of losing because the Offense stalls in the red zone OR because there were insufficient resources devoted to the defense. 

Skins have to be prepared to let Cousins walk. 

16 hours ago, skins island connection said:

I hope Cousins and his agent take into consideration the rest of the team. Not saying he doesn't deserve the money, I think he does, but some crazy 130 mil deal will put a damper on beefing up the defense, and we'll end up like the early 80' chargers, high powered offense and a defense that couldn't stop a high school team.

I don't think Cousins opted not to sign because he necessarily wanted elite top QB money.  I think he didn't sign because McCloughan lowballed them with such a small number that he knew he'd get a fair contract if he balled out again this year.  McCloughan wouldn't budge & was willing to franchise him for one year.  Show & prove.  Definitely motivates the man!

I feel like there's going to be a lot of incentives in the way his contract is structured. They'll offer him 22-23M per year, with like $50M guaranteed, but the bulk of the rest will be made up with incentives. Even though he's playing well, I wouldn't be comfortable making him the highest paid QB in the league. If he demands top-tier money or else, I'd say let him walk. Go to Cleveland and win 3 games a year.

First, a minor correction. He could in fact be franchised a 3rd time. It's cost prohibitive. The third year they have to pay him 144% of his previous years salary. So for Kirk that would be approximately $36M. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1531539-the-ultimate-guide-to-nfl-franchise-tags-how-they-work-and-why-they-matter

7 hours ago, CBass1724 said:

I think the guaranteed money will be $65m+.  If the number was $40-45m to get it done this past offseason, then there is no reason why that number would go down.  It will only go up, IMO.  

5/$115m with $65m guaranteed.  Book it, Danno.

This where I see the contract - maybe a little more like 5/$125M with $75M guaranteed but $25M will be injury guarantee. Dead cap hit after yr 3 will be limited.

6 hours ago, CTskin said:

Edit

I know he was pumped after the game. Very pumped. But, his interaction with McClu seemed pretty disrespectful and seemed to say "I can't wait to make you regret not signing me long term." There certainly won't be any discount.

I completely disagree with this. The relationship between GMs/HC/Owner and top players are more like business partners. It's not like what most of us have as a boss/employee relationship. Kirk came off a huge game and is still emotional. Also, I have literally said "How do you like me now!" to several bosses, mostly after I just either really made them look good or saved their asses. No animosity, No malice. No disrespect. It's because I rely on them to put in a position to be successful and they rely on me to deliver. When we both do our jobs really well we get pumped!

Finally, based comments from him before and after last night are that they have a great relationship. I believe way too much is being made over 6 sec. video.

I wish we could get this done now, I was one that wanted to franchise him and I'm glad we did, so few players actually earn their big contracts before they get paid.  Now we know what we have and its time to pay up, I don't see this as a loss as its going to cost about $4 mil more a year which is a depth player, plus the cap is going up.  I think the Redskins and KC will both get what they want, I don't see any losers unless we let KC slip away and there's NO WAY that happens.

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

I feel like there's going to be a lot of incentives in the way his contract is structured. They'll offer him 22-23M per year, with like $50M guaranteed, but the bulk of the rest will be made up with incentives. Even though he's playing well, I wouldn't be comfortable making him the highest paid QB in the league. If he demands top-tier money or else, I'd say let him walk. Go to Cleveland and win 3 games a year.

Then we' re back to looking for a franchise qb and 3 wins a year as well. That ain't good business for both...

38 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I completely disagree with this. The relationship between GMs/HC/Owner and top players are more like business partners. It's not like what most of us have as a boss/employee relationship. Kirk came off a huge game and is still emotional. Also, I have literally said "How do you like me now!" to several bosses, mostly after I just either really made them look good or saved their asses. No animosity, No malice. No disrespect. It's because I rely on them to put in a position to be successful and they rely on me to deliver. When we both do our jobs really well we get pumped!

Finally, based comments from him before and after last night are that they have a great relationship. I believe way too much is being made over 6 sec. video.

I want you to be right, but his mannerisms and tone showed there was a lot of pent up emotion directed at management. He had an attitude similar to what I have when an opposing fan is talking smack during a game and then something big happens for the Skins. McClu hugged him, but there was no hug back. Then the hair mop thing. Listen and look at McClu's reaction, he was taken back by it.

I'm not proud that I just Dr. Phil'd the crap out of that, but I think there's more negativity there than you give it credit for. Kirk was asked about it after the game and he definitely didn't put the kabash on it.

We know how upset he was about being draft by the Skins and he's been thru a lot of BS with this franchise. Now, the better Kirk gets, the more mercenary feel I get from him. He seems set on going where the money is, period. Maybe it's the pessimistic Skins fan in me, but I just want to sign him and put the whole conversation behind us.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

completely disagree with this. The relationship between GMs/HC/Owner and top players are more like business partners. It's not like what most of us have as a boss/employee relationship. Kirk came off a huge game and is still emotional. Also, I have literally said "How do you like me now!" to several bosses, mostly after I just either really made them look good or saved their asses. No animosity, No malice. No disrespect. It's because I rely on them to put in a position to be successful and they rely on me to deliver. When we both do our jobs really well we get pumped!

This. At one point Kirk was about to jump on a ref after a touchdown he was so excited. He's excitable and passionate. And a little bit goofy. And I like it.

Archived