Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins 2017 contract discussion/prediction

Tsailand

Today Cooley had a good show going with the question for the callers which IMO might be a good thread for us to open.  I will let the Admins do that because every time I do I get my a$$ handed to me.  LOL

So the question is would you trust Scott if he comes out and says Cousins is too expensive but I know we have the perfect replacement.  Would you trust him with such a decision.

My answer is not no but HELL NO.  And before someone says well he picked Wilson, lets not forget the real choice was Wilson or Cousins its not he could miss.  But the one move he failed for Seattle is Matt Flynn.  So please don't tell me he has the track record to be trusted.

15 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Today Cooley had a good show going with the question for the callers which IMO might be a good thread for us to open.  I will let the Admins do that because every time I do I get my a$$ handed to me.  LOL

So the question is would you trust Scott if he comes out and says Cousins is too expensive but I know we have the perfect replacement.  Would you trust him with such a decision.

My answer is not no but HELL NO.  And before someone says well he picked Wilson, lets not forget the real choice was Wilson or Cousins its not he could miss.  But the one move he failed for Seattle is Matt Flynn.  So please don't tell me he has the track record to be trusted.

While I am pretty much on the same page as you, I'd want to know who his replacement is before saying no or hell no.  

I think if the Redskins don't get a deal done with Cousins there are going to be a lot of fans lost to the decision.  I know from my close group of friends most people are talking about completely giving up on the Redskins if they don't get a deal done because it just means they are incompetent as ever.

14 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

I listened to some of that and I'm a bit torn on my answer. 

On one hand, it seems pretty ridiculous that McCloughan would be able to replicate Cousins' production with someone else. He's going to break several team records in back-to-back seasons and seems pretty established as a top-10 QB in the league. To say that we could get that from McCoy or some cheaper FA that we have our eye on implies that our supporting talent, coaching staff, and scheme is transcendent - so much so that it renders the most important position in sports as an afterthought. That's a tough pill to swallow. 

On the other hand, McCloughan has done this twice before. He's built contending teams that de-emphasized the QB position, so it's not unprecedented. It's not unrealistic to believe that a team with 10% less production from the QB position but exponentially better on the defensive side of the ball could contend in the NFL for the next 5-7 years. I think I'd be more likely to believe THIS story from the GM...essentially that we CAN'T replicate what Cousins is doing, but we can be a better overall team. That seems more realistic given McCloughan's track record. 

In the end, I think I'd believe he COULD do it, but I wouldn't be confident in it happening. Right now, the most likely and most direct path to success is to build around Cousins and the offense. To break that apart and build something differently would being relying on more variables...

31 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

If SM doesn't sign KC I want him to pack his **** and GTFO of Washington.

17 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

On one hand, it seems pretty ridiculous that McCloughan would be able to replicate Cousins' production with someone else. He's going to break several team records in back-to-back seasons and seems pretty established as a top-10 QB in the league. To say that we could get that from McCoy or some cheaper FA that we have our eye on implies that our supporting talent, coaching staff, and scheme is transcendent - so much so that it renders the most important position in sports as an afterthought. That's a tough pill to swallow. 

This got me thinking. I had a friend (who was still arguing for RGIII even after Cousins' breakout last year, so take this for what it's worth) who claimed that Cousins was a "system QB." He had the same point that other QBs, who would be cheaper, would be just as good as Cousins. Well, we do have a good offense, and I love what Gruden and McVay have out together around Cousins, however, we don't have the top WRs in the league, possibly the top TE, and a mediocre-at-best running game. So, what makes a "system QB?" I agree that it seems a major gamble to think any old QB can come in and replace Cousins--we've been looking for a QB like this since Theismann, or even Sonny.

As for St. McCloughan, Patron Saint of Moribund Franchises, and his history of building non-QB dependent offenses: Both of those teams had what we don't: very strong running game, and very strong defenses. Those QBs and those offenses successes were more predicated on the QBs legs than their arms. Kap has fallen off like a rock, and Wilson is very mediocre.

On 11/22/2016 at 9:58 AM, Burgold said:

If it were the old regime I could almost see that, but Jay Gruden really went to bat for him and apparently so did Scott. Despite the RGIII thing they kept giving him chances and the franchise tag was not an insult, but a complement... We absolutely don't want to lose you. I would think that he really likes what he has going on around here now. Jay and McVay seem to be a really good fit and really in his corner. We have really good receivers and a good pass blocking line too.

Would he really want to go to the Browns or some other rebuilding team? Maybe if the Broncos broke the bank and he thought he would be in a perennial Super Bowl contention he could do a Lebron, but I think it would have to be money plus a really good team. Really good teams generally don't have to break the bank for a free agent QB.

Where Kyle Shanahan lands as a head coach could be a huge impact on Kirk's decision to sign or not.  I don't buy the fact that Scott is balking at making a deal.  As you said, he put his own rear end on the line in a 5 hour meeting with Snyder in support of Cousins.  Scott is smart enough to know that paying a lot for a QB is the cost of doing business.  And he recognizes that the NFL is a passing league now - even though he likes the big uglies up front.  What worries me is how Kirk feels about Dan.  Kirk mentioned last year he wanted to be where he was "wanted."  Dan has some serious butt kissing to do in order to get Kirk locked up long term. 

The $55 Mil guarantee is not realistic.  Kirk could make $54 mil (3rd year of the tag really escalates according to Schefter) the next two years playing the franchise tag for two years in a row.  Then at age 30 he could land a blockbuster deal that sets him and his entire family (cousins included) up for life.  Kirk has shown that the pressure doesn't phase him.  For two years in a row he's had enormous pressure (contract) and little help (lack of a good defense and good field position or a decent running game from week to week or a big threat in the red zone) and yet he has still balled out.  So I think a $65 mil guarantee spread out over 5 years is more like it. 

I'm sick over this because several of us saw this coming before the end of 2015's season.  For the benefit of the team Dan could have overwhelmed Kirk with a deal (before the Bradford and Osweiler contracts) that would have been uber cap friendly for the next 5 years.  Now, a good portion of our cap will have to go to Kirk.  There's no two ways about it.  Dan gambled and lost.  Time to settle up. 

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This got me thinking. I had a friend (who was still arguing for RGIII even after Cousins' breakout last year, so take this for what it's worth) who claimed that Cousins was a "system QB." He had the same point that other QBs, who would be cheaper, would be just as good as Cousins. Well, we do have a good offense, and I love what Gruden and McVay have out together around Cousins, however, we don't have the top WRs in the league, possibly the top TE, and a mediocre-at-best running game. So, what makes a "system QB?" I agree that it seems a major gamble to think any old QB can come in and replace Cousins--we've been looking for a QB like this since Theismann, or even Sonny.

As for St. McCloughan, Patron Saint of Moribund Franchises, and his history of building non-QB dependent offenses: Both of those teams had what we don't: very strong running game, and very strong defenses. Those QBs and those offenses successes were more predicated on the QBs legs than their arms. Kap has fallen off like a rock, and Wilson is very mediocre.

Was Scottie in SF when they made the decision to go with Smith instead of Rodgers?  Don't know but like I said his only choice for a QB in 2012 was Wilson or Cousins.  if you look at it closely man Cousins with that D and that running game and his ability to get the ball out fast (thus limiting that bad OL) we are talking he production since 2012 would have been as good if not better than Wilson's.  But still Scottie really couldn't miss with either so to me it was not a choice when you can't miss

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

That would be a hell of a thing to all but guarantee that he knows of another franchise quarterback sitting around somewhere.

I am with you, hell no I wouldn't trust him. But I wouldn't trust anyone who was in his position and said something like that. Kirk is clearly a franchise guy and works extremely well with Gruden. We keep these 2 together, we are competitors for the foreseeable future. Hell, we have been in the mix since Kirk got over the int hump. To throw that away would just be asinine in every way possible.

16 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

I'm sick over this because several of us saw this coming before the end of 2015's season.  For the benefit of the team Dan could have overwhelmed Kirk with a deal (before the Bradford and Osweiler contracts) that would have been uber cap friendly for the next 5 years.  Now, a good portion of our cap will have to go to Kirk.  There's no two ways about it.  Dan gambled and lost.  Time to settle up. 

Like him, i wanted to see him do it again.  We have seen too many QBs have 1 good year and regress the next.  RG3, Foles, Osweiler, so many more i can list

8 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Was Scottie in SF when they made the decision to go with Smith instead of Rodgers?  Don't know but like I said his only choice for a QB in 2012 was Wilson or Cousins.  if you look at it closely man Cousins with that D and that running game and his ability to get the ball out fast (thus limiting that bad OL) we are talking he production since 2012 would have been as good if not better than Wilson's.  But still Scottie really couldn't miss with either so to me it was not a choice when you can't miss

Yes, McCloughan was a part of the regime that took Smith over Rodgers. However, Rodgers was Jeff Tedford QB, previous Tedford QBs were Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, and Kyle Boller.

Similar to Rodgers, I am not sure Cousins would have benefited from starting right away--best thing to happen to him might have been sitting for a couple of years while RGIII ran around in a confused stupor.

2 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Like him, i wanted to see him do it again.  We have seen too many QBs have 1 good year and regress the next.  RG3, Foles, Osweiler, so many more i can list

Dak Prescott...oh wait, that's next year ;)

Man, I really am starting to love our goody two shoes QB...the more I read about him, the more I am thankful that Shanny had the foresight to take him when he did. Sometimes dumb luck just drops into your lap, and man are we lucky that he dropped into ours.

Sign the man...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/11/30/a-dork-with-swag-redskins-rally-around-their-corny-quarterback/?utm_term=.3292a5001c41

30 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Scot had literally just been hired by the 49ers as the VP of player personnel weeks before the draft. Mike Nolan had been hired as the HC and was doing the GM job also. That was almost 100% Mike Nolan's call. Scot had very little if anything to do with that selection. Also, keep in mind Nolan was eventually fired by Scot when he was made GM - part way into the season. It is not a huge stretch that even if Scot liked AR better, Nolan would have ignored him.

Having said that, what people continue to forget or ignore (not saying you, but some continue to throw that up as Scot's poor decision making in terms of QBs), Alex Smith was unanimously graded much higher than Aaron Rogers. Many were not sure ARs game would translate to the NFL. They were of course wrong. But at the time there was very little evidence that AR would be who he is.

Most importantly, Scot was just not there long enough or in the right position to have much if any input to that decision.

At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, understand i am serious in how i feel about this.

If this team ****s this up and lets hm go, I am officially done as a Redskins fan.

I've put up with a lot of boneheaded moves, a lot of bull**** from the FO of this team, but this would be the absolute end for me. 
The most critical position in the entirety of professional sports,, and we HAVE one after decades of searching..  they better roll out the damn red carpet and make sure he is a Redskin for many years to come.

The fact this is even a discussion now is frustrating. The fact that the possibility exists that he can get away is frustrating.

It has to stop. if the FO wants long time fans like me to continue to care, then they have to show me THEY care. And if they let Cousins walk and try to trot out another tired ass free agent, another rookie, or another career backup who can somehow be a winner here... i'll give up.

If McCloughan tries to sell us on yet another guy, he can walk out first. If they try to tell me it's too expensive, after all the horrible money they have blown, they can kiss my ass as it heads down the road. Not another dollar, and not another minute will I put into this team.

Imagine how it would feel watching him go, succeed, and then looking at OUR record books to see his name plastered all over it.

You wanted a "show me" season, fine, you got one. If you haven't seen it yet, you don't know what you're looking at. i don't care if you're a football professional, a person who lives and breathes it. 
They need to be on the phone with his agent right ****ing NOW.

He walks, i walk with him. That'll be it for me.

~Bang

22 hours ago, Bang said:

At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, understand i am serious in how i feel about this.

If this team ****s this up and lets hm go, I am officially done as a Redskins fan.

Edit.

~Bang

I get this sentiment, I really do. But this is just the kind of thing shefter tries to stir up. Many of us are already drawing lines in the sand around - if they don't....  If they do.....  Etc. It is what it is. So far this FO has not shown to be the same inept cluster**** that has been our beloved Skins for most of the last 25 years.

I personally am taking a wait and see attitude. For example, what he stands firm at $35M/yr for 6 yrs, trying to force the tam to tag him knowing the next year is cost prohibitive? At $35M that would be 21% of the entire cap! Add to that he wants all of it guaranteed. Are you still the just sign him camp? You really do not know what will happen until it does. And there is little if anything we can do change that course.

I just think we are better off enjoying the ride this season and see what happens. Then make our minds up.

12 minutes ago, Bang said:

I've put up with a lot of boneheaded moves, a lot of bull**** from the FO of this team, but this would be the absolute end for me. 
The most critical position in the entirety of professional sports,, and we HAVE one after decades of searching..  they better roll out the damn red carpet and make sure he is a Redskin for many years to come.

The fact this is even a discussion now is frustrating. The fact that the possibility exists that he can get away is frustrating.

It has to stop. if the FO wants long time fans like me to continue to care, then they have to show me THEY care. And if they let Cousins walk and try to trot out another tired ass free agent, another rookie, or another career backup who can somehow be a winner here... i'll give up.

If McCloughan tries to sell us on yet another guy, he can walk out first. If they try to tell me it's too expensive, after all the horrible money they have blown, they can kiss my ass as it heads down the road. Not another dollar, and not another minute will I put into this team.

Imagine how it would feel watching him go, succeed, and then looking at OUR record books to see his name plastered all over it.

You wanted a "show me" season, fine, you got one. If you haven't seen it yet, you don't know what you're looking at. i don't care if you're a football professional, a person who lives and breathes it. 

~Bang

McCloughan will not let this happen. I understand and relate to the angst, but this is a new era at Redskins Park: No more leaks, no more drama. As I recall, the Kerrigan, Reed, and Williams extensions got done with very little fanfare leading up to them? I don't think there is anyway Kirk walks...

...But if he does, I am with you. I will root for the ****ing Cowboys to embarrass the Redskins twice a year.

Cost,, tired of hearing it.

A Quarterback is the single most important piece in the entire puzzle. Winners pay it. Winners recognize when they have the piece, and they pay it.

We have the piece. He has proven it over and over.

Winners do not lowball an offer out in February and then never call back. That is disrespect, it is bad faith. And yet, we did exactly that.

Cousins may be willing to ignore that, but there's a lot about him that says he never forgets a slight, and he will make you pay for it.

Pony up, don't go cheap. The market for a winning QB is what it is for a reason.

There's a lot of places to cut a corner, save a buck, but not at QB.

Bottom line, SOMEONE will pay it. No matter what, Cousins is not sitting out next year because of expense. SOMEBODY will pay for the talent we have groomed.

Extend Gruden, lock Cousins up. The two work together.

There just can't be any hemming or hawing or trying to get tight with the purse.

Not on the quarterback.

Like isaid."at the risk of sounding hyperbolic"... and i don't think i am. i have never uttered those words in my life,, i bleed burgundy and gold, and always have. watching this team make mis-step after mis-step has been a long ride with plenty of embarrassment to go with it. As a fan I've eaten a lot of ****.

But we have it. Bird in HAND.  Do NOT let it get out this time. It'll be the last straw for me.

~Bang

9 minutes ago, Bang said:

Cost,, tired of hearing it.

Extend Gruden, lock Cousins up. The two work together.

There just can't be any hemming or hawing or trying to get tight with the purse.

Not on the quarterback.

Like isaid."at the risk of sounding hyperbolic"... and i don't think i am. i have never uttered those words in my life,, i bleed burgundy and gold, and always have. watching this team make mis-step after mis-step has been a long ride with plenty of embarrassment to go with it. As a fan I've eaten a lot of ****.

But we have it. Bird in HAND.  Do NOT let it get out this time. It'll be the last straw for me.

~Bang

crwdc.gif

59 minutes ago, Bang said:

~Bang

Bang, I feel the same way man.  I have not come out to say this on this board but I have said it to friends and I said it to the people around me after last year in the Buffalo game where he simply destroyed them.  And no I was NOT on board with the prove it BS because the kid, everything I read sounds like an awesome guy, super religious (event though I am not it shows commitment to his faith), family man, humble and a freak when it comes to working to become better. 

For me he proved it last year and you want to know why I am pissed with Scott M?  Because he should have known better BECAUSE HE DID IT WITHOUT A RUNNING GAME.  In addition I blame the uncertainly of this decision to putting undo pressure on him where in the first few games he was pressing. Now I don't want to hear he maybe too expensive.  The freaking Eagles just extended Fletcher Cox for 6 years 103 million with 63 million in guaranteed money.  How much you think KC should be worth to US?  Are you kidding me? Pay the man, and **** slap your head Scottie for not doing this last summer.

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

The $55 Mil guarantee is not realistic.  Kirk could make $54 mil (3rd year of the tag really escalates according to Schefter) the next two years playing the franchise tag for two years in a row.  Then at age 30 he could land a blockbuster deal that sets him and his entire family (cousins included) up for life.  Kirk has shown that the pressure doesn't phase him.  For two years in a row he's had enormous pressure (contract) and little help (lack of a good defense and good field position or a decent running game from week to week or a big threat in the red zone) and yet he has still balled out.  So I think a $65 mil guarantee spread out over 5 years is more like it. 

Schefter is full of ****.  The whole idea of him getting $58M in franchise tags for 2 more years is ludicrous.  

Schefter says the 2nd franchise tag is $24M.  3rd is $34M.  Then an unrestricted FA.  So he can get $58M guaranteed, so why would he even consider 5 years $120M with $60M guaranteed?  That's moronic.

It's relatively unlikely that he plays on the 2nd franchise tag in the first place.  The 3rd will never ever happen under any circumstances.  The highest paid QB right now is at $24.5M.  You expect me to believe that in the 2018-19 season the Skiins (or anyone else) will pay him $34M?  Come on.  It's a 0% chance.

You consider $50-60M in guarantees on a long term deal because the other side of the equation isn't 2 years $58M.  It's 1 year $24M and maybe nothing after that if you get hurt.  Kirk can bet on himself, but he's not stupid.  Some things are outside your control.  

Kirk bet on himself and won big.  Letting it ride and betting on himself AGAIN would be foolish.  He's already won and the Skins will make him a top-3 paid quarterback.  If he has to play on the franchise tag in 2017-18, it's because the FO is royally effing this up in an unprecedented way, or it's because he doesn't want to be here.  I don't expect either one.  The deal will get done.  5 years, $125M

Question for all of you experts, because I just don't know anymore.  What's more important here - the guaranteed money or the average salary for each year?  Is there any chance he'd take 4 years/$80m if the entire contract was guaranteed?  I think he wants the long term commitment and the usual contracts end up being voided after 2 or 3 years.  Just wondering.  

It seems like we're getting to the point where someone will get a fully guaranteed contract.

5 minutes ago, Bliz said:

Schefter is full of ****.  The whole idea of him getting $58M in franchise tags for 2 more years is ludicrous.  

Schefter says the 2nd franchise tag is $24M.  3rd is $34M.  Then an unrestricted FA.  So he can get $58M guaranteed, so why would he even consider 5 years $120M with $60M guaranteed?  That's moronic.

It's relatively unlikely that he plays on the 2nd franchise tag in the first place.  The 3rd will never ever happen under any circumstances.  The highest paid QB right now is at $24.5M.  You expect me to believe that in the 2018-19 season the Skiins (or anyone else) will pay him $34M?  Come on.  It's a 0% chance.

You consider $50-60M in guarantees on a long term deal because the other side of the equation isn't 2 years $58M.  It's 1 year $24M and maybe nothing after that if you get hurt.  Kirk can bet on himself, but he's not stupid.  Some things are outside your control.  

Kirk bet on himself and won big.  Letting it ride and betting on himself AGAIN would be foolish.  He's already won and the Skins will make him a top-3 paid quarterback.  If he has to play on the franchise tag in 2017-18, it's because the FO is royally effing this up in an unprecedented way, or it's because he doesn't want to be here.  I don't expect either one.  The deal will get done.  5 years, $125M

Dude I just posted, Cox got 63 million guaranteed.  Are you telling me if Cousins plays like this for the next two years a team, being only 30 years old he will not get a contract for 85 million guaranteed for 5 or 6 years?  So even if we tag him again next year, he gets 24 plus whatever his new contract will be from the new team (because I do believe we will not do a 3rd tag). So what he was saying, if Cousins is gun ho to leave the Redskins, then yea we are screwed.  We basically have him for next year.  After that we will need to let him go or tag him for an impossible 34 million.  Think about it, he is getting 19 plus 24 plus the new contract from any other team with 80+ guaranteed...Cousins  would be one of the highest if not the highest paid QB in history.  That is like 120+ million in his pocket and he still will be 29-30 years old.  Again lets hope he wants to be here because if not, he can make it impossible for us to sign him. 

2 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

First of all, as stupid the Matt Flynn signing was, the contract was not crippling.

Secondly, there is no proof GMSM signed Flynn, as he was not the GM in Seattle.  GMSM was the "Senior Personnel Executive", and basically took on the huge role of "College talent evaluator".

I would give Scot a pass on Matt Flynn.

12 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Dude I just posted, Cox got 63 million guaranteed.  Are you telling me if Cousins plays like this for the next two years a team, being only 30 years old he will not get a contract for 85 million guaranteed for 5 or 6 years?  

In one sense, yes, because there isn't going to be 2 more years of play before a long term deal.  It will either be a long term contract after this season, or one more year on the franchise tag and then a long term contract.  It's not in anyone's best interests for him to play on two more one-year deal.  Least of all his.  The point of a one-year deal is to prove it and earn the big contract.  That's what he did.  Also, if you wait too long you limit yourself to only one big contract, rather than maybe two.  Sign a 5 year deal now, and at 33 you have a reasonable chance of scoring another big contract.  But if you're 35 before that next contract comes around...

12 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

So even if we tag him again next year, he gets 24 plus whatever his new contract will be from the new team (because I do believe we will not do a 3rd tag). So what he was saying, if Cousins is gun ho to leave the Redskins, then yea we are screwed.  We basically have him for next year.  After that we will need to let him go or tag him for an impossible 34 million.  Think about it, he is getting 19 plus 24 plus the new contract from any other team with 80+ guaranteed...Cousins  would be one of the highest if not the highest paid QB in history.  That is like 120+ million in his pocket and he still will be 29-30 years old.  Again lets hope he wants to be here because if not, he can make it impossible for us to sign him. 

19 + 24 + a new contract (or nothing if you get hurt), vs 19 + 25 with a new contract and fat guarantees.  Is a long term deal in summer 2018 going to be worth THAT much more than a long term deal in summer 2017?  I'm not so sure.  

Archived