Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins 2017 contract discussion/prediction

Tsailand

I figured we'd go 8-8 this year.  It's looking more and more like 8-7-1.  It doesn't wash out the bad taste in my mouth but we are close to back to back winning records.  Haven't done that in 20+ years.  

The defense sucks.  They give up 28 points a game.  You're just not going to win much when that happens.  Our offense had a crap game.  It happens.  Simple fact is you won't win much if your offense has to score 30 points a game to win.  See how the Saints are doing as an example.  We're just not good enough yet.  It's frustrating as hell,  but that's the case.  We need to really focus on building the defense,  and if we do that,  I think we'll be real contenders next year.  

On a side note,  I really hope Gruden and McVay learn how to call plays in the redzone.  I'm  really tired of opposing defensive coordinators ****ting in their cereal and embarrassing us.  

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Kirk hasn't earned franchise money.  If some team is stupid enough to give him that, then let him walk.  We will have to sign a veteran QB to hold the fort and find that franchise in next years draft.  WE need to find our won Dak Prescott or Russell Wilson.

10 minutes ago, PapaLazarou said:

Seriously, fans are so traumatized by years of terrible quarterback play that they will elevate the very definition of mediocrity to the level of franchise quarterback.

ugh

3 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Kirk hasn't earned franchise money.  If some team is stupid enough to give him that, then let him walk.  We will have to sign a veteran QB to hold the fort and find that franchise in next years draft.  WE need to find our won Dak Prescott or Russell Wilson.

Or Ryan Nassib or Christian Hackenburg 

22 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

what do do you want him to do? play defense?

3 minutes ago, RedskinsMayne said:

what do do you want him to do? play defense?

I think we just want him to play QB on Monday Night Football...

Nevertheless, he's had a great season and will still be in or near the top 5 in major categories going into week 16.

32 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Are you nuts???? He's broken the franchise record for passing yards in 2 straight seasons!!! He is our franchise QB. Unless you want the John Friesz/Shuler days again..

Has Kirk Cousins earned the right to get $23 million/ year?    I say no.  If we don't resign him, we are taking a step back because we would be starting over at QB. Can we find that franchise QB in 2017's draft class and can that QB basically be ready within a year?

Those are deliberations that will be going on when we make our offer to Kirk.  Kirk is going to ask for the moon but I don't think we should give it to him.

Kirk Cousins is on the same level as a Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Ben Rothleisburger?  QBs that can overcome a ****ty performance by their team and find a way to win.  I don't put Kirk in that category.

6 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Are you nuts???? He's broken the franchise record for passing yards in 2 straight seasons!!! He is our franchise QB. Unless you want the John Friesz/Shuler days again..

Passing yards are ridiculously overrated. Everyone keeps talking about his passing yards as if that means all that much. He had 315 passing yards today and what did that turn into?

Again, you guys act like the NFL's QB market is logical 

you have to pay for competence 

Kirk was dog **** tonight but he's still a rarity...a good QB

expecting a mid round rookie QB (most likely coming from a spread offense) to become a competent starter in 2 years is foolish no matter what Prescott or Wilson does 

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Again, you guys act like the NFL's QB market is logical 

you have to pay for competence 

Kirk was dog **** tonight but he's still a rarity...a good QB

expecting a mid round rookie QB (most likely coming from a spread offense) to become a competent starter in 2 years is foolish no matter what Prescott or Wilson does 

Kirk is a damn good QB... Every QB has bad days 

Give me back just 3 of the drops and even tonight's game could have been drastically different 

Dead on in that it would be foolish

Some ya'll don't get it.  Nothing any of you want to have happen matters without competent QB play. None of it. Zero.  You have to pay Kirk because that's how this team will stay relevant.  Look at the rest of the roster, he's the only reason we're close to relevant now.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Some ya'll don't get it.  Nothing any of you want to have happen matters without competent QB play. None of it. Zero.  You have to pay Kirk because that's how this team will stay relevant.  Look at the rest of the roster, he's the only reason we're close to relevant now.

Thank you... Not sure how more don't see it...

What I don't understand is how the whole team **** the bed though

1 minute ago, petedaddy said:

Give me back just 3 of the drops and even tonight's game could have been drastically different 

This is really true. Rythym killing drops. Lots of 3rd down drops that would've moved the chains, possibly leading to scoring while also allowing our defense to rest and figure out why they can't tackle. 

The davis drop should've been a touchdown as well and we wasted a minute or so of gameclock. 

Drops were a big problem today. 

3 minutes ago, petedaddy said:

Thank you... Not sure how more don't see it...

What I don't understand is how the whole team **** the bed though

A team wide failure is on the head coach imo. 

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Kirk isn't elite (yet), so when he has a bad game, we don't stand a chance.  That's just my observation so far.

Which is the opposite of dak... He can play like **** and win because they can run the ball 

We depend on Kirk to be near perfect each week to have a chance 

2 minutes ago, petedaddy said:

Which is the opposite of dak... He can play like **** and win because they can run the ball 

Look at all the wins and ask yourself if Kirk had to be perfect. False narrative.

Kirk still deserves to be paid. Can he elevate his team in tough games, not yet, but he's competent and can improve in during his next contract. 

All QBs have rough games, 

3 minutes ago, petedaddy said:

Ya, watching Dallas play, their defense is just constantly overacheiving.  We've only done that a handful of times in 2016, not to mention spending half a season to figure out our starting RB wasn't Matt Jones.

Dak has been in the hot seat the past couple of weeks even with the cowboys winning though. No one is saying he isnt a good QB but Kirk should not get Brady or elite money is he isn't playing elite, short and simple. You can't just throw huge contracts at at QB and cripple your team just for the sake of getting a QB, ala Nick Foles.

9 minutes ago, petedaddy said:

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Look at all the wins and ask yourself if Kirk had to be perfect. False narrative.

Kirk still deserves to be paid. Can he elevate his team in tough games, not yet, but he's competent and can improve in during his next contract. 

All QBs have rough games, 

I'd say having to throw at a near 5000 yard pace would say yes

1 minute ago, petedaddy said:

I'd say having to throw at a near 5000 yard pace would say yes

Just saying in wins Kirk wasn't required to be anywhere near perfect or great. The defense actually has helped a lot in most of the wins. 

5000 yards is cool though. 

16 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Just saying in wins Kirk wasn't required to be anywhere near perfect or great. The defense actually has helped a lot in most of the wins. 

5000 yards is cool though. 

Out of all the 5,000 yard seasons the lowest total of TD passes is 39. Cousins is on pace for 26.

yards are meaningless.

Archived