Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Can't you summarize for us :)

Sure, why not. I would have earlier, but was really busy at work. 

His follow up tweet is about "the UHF Discount and how Sinclair recently lobbied the FCC to reinstate it, so they could expand their reach.", but he feels the need to explain about UHF first(which old farts like me will remember actually flipping the dial to, and adjusting a round secondary antennae on the TV to get better reception). I used to watch the Orioles on UHF before cable was real common, and I lived in Virginia Beach. I know I watched some other stuff, but the O's is what I remember most.

Summarizing (I shortened some of this, posted some of the tweets to shorten it up, and added bits here and there); There used to be pretty much four broadcast channels in most markets: ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS. These channels were always on channels 2-13, and were broadcast to VHF (Very High Frequency)

Around the 50's, a new spectrum opened up for TV broadcasters: UHF (Ultra High Frequency) It had seven times the amount of channels to broadcast on. The signal could be broadcast further and tended to be cleaner. I don't remember it being that way, but maybe that's because I was tuning in to Baltimore. I had to fiddle with that antennae all the time. Had to do that with the rabbit ears for VHF too though, just not as much.

But, there wasn't much incentive for broadcasters to actually switch if they were already broadcasting to VHF, so somone (I guess the FCC), created a UHF discount

That prompted, in some part, "media consolidation", which helped Fox, UPN, WB, (smaller networks at the time) etc. were able to acquire smaller stations and sometimes even save them/keep them running. But, in the 90s, digital TV (HDTV) made the UHF discount obsolete. This is the over the air stuff you get if you use an antennae and scan for channels on newer TVs. Before 2009, almost all stations carried their digital signal on UHF, and analog on VHF. Stations could not broadcast both on the same frequency/channel. 

Remember the big switch out of your cable boxes and receivers around then? That's why. But, when you scan for over the air channels, you may see channels listed in that 2-13 range still. A broadcaster is probably using another channel number in the higher UHF range, but it still appears on your digital TVs as, say channel 7. It's another reason most broadcasters never got off UHF.

So the FCC, under Obama, ended the UHF discount. Most broadcasters were using UHF for their digital signals, and the administration didn't want them using the discount as a loophole to buy more and more stations. Fast forward to 2017, and the FCC under Trump proposes to reinstate the discount. Opponents at the time said it would lead to mass consolidation. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-08/new-tv-rules-under-gop-led-fcc-could-lead-to-m-a-free-for-all

He goes on to say "Now to be fair to Sinclair, they have talked about selling off Tribune owned stations in markets like Denver, Sacramento and Seattle (in the latter, they already own the ABC station ). But all those stations are underperforming anyway, and there’s no requirement for them to sell. Sinclair deserves a spot on the dial. Dissent is good in the market and the media. But no media company should become so large and so dominant that innovation and diversity are compromised. With the UHF Discount in play, that’s very possible."

..and the last two tweets:

I tried to not completely plagiarize everything by Matthew Keys, so all credit to him. It there's mistakes in the typed out parts, that's probably me.

The Planned Parenthood story is troubling. People should know that abortion services ARE funded separately from the public funded services and have been for decades.

By cutting Planned Parenthood federal funds, they are denying services to women who are not insured or underinsured from life saving services that ARE NOT abortions 

15 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Hazards of Trump's inability to read. What the teleprompter really said was...

"We're going to be whining and whining. We're going to be whining so much you'll get sick of whining."

Are we sure it wasn't whinnying? I had heard Kellyanne was speechwriting these days..

Well, come on. After destroying ISIS in one month like he promised with his Super Duper What The **** Just Happened Plan, there really isn't much less to do over there except park Russian cars. And as much fun as that sounds, there really isn't any strategic reason to try to remain in the Middle East and try to establish some calm. We set out to destroy the shoulder and empty ground adjacent to some of the Syrian Air Force's runways, and by God, we did.

Never forget!

~Blarg

1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

I post this as a comment on this and other threads going on. Yanno how people say "Everyone's entitled to their opinion"? And you know how this is such 100% bull****?

Don't be a pig wrestler

LOL... you have no way of knowing that a hot air balloon crashed in France. All you've ever known your entire life is what you've been told by the media. There is no France.

Just now, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

LOL... you have no way of knowing that a hot air balloon crashed in France. All you've ever known your entire life is what you've been told by the media. There is no France.

Can you even SEE air?

Sucker.

~Bang

16 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Are we sure it wasn't whinnying? I had heard Kellyanne was speechwriting these days..

Speaking of death incarnate, yall see the claim see is a huge leaker in his admin? I can help but LOL at that one. But then she said this....which made me say hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/02/kellyanne-conway-number-one-leaker-494436

"Leakers get great press. And one day, Abby, I will have my say. So that will be very, very fascinating. I will have my say,” she said. “You know, we learned a long time ago around here, the people who say ‘enemy of the people, opposition party, fake news, biased media,’ they can talk to the media all day long because nobody would suspect them.”

45 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

44 minutes ago, Bang said:

Can you even SEE air?

Sucker.

~Bang

Tbf, gravity is just a theory.

Archived