Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you lost interest in the NFL?

BornaSkinsFan83

I was a season ticket holder for a decade.  Two years ago I gave them up.  I still watch the Skins every weak probably always will, but the other games I watch are few and far between now.  I hated the Cap Penalty and still haven't gotten over that.  I hate defenseless receivers.  I hate the number of overall penalties. I hate Snyder.  The length of the game sucks. 

On 10/30/2016 at 7:01 PM, Bang said:

i find that I don't watch other games besides the Redskins nearly as much as I used to.  

This is exactly me. I won't miss a Redskin game if I can avoid it, but my interest in the rest of the league is down. The only game I've watched more than a few minutes of this entire year was the latest SNF game between the Eagles and Cowboys, and that was directly tied to how it impacted the Skins. 

10 years ago, I would watch a Jags/Browns game if it was on and I wasn't busy. Recently, despite what should have been a great SNF game (it didn't turn out to be, of course), I passed on watching Cardinals/Seahawks and read instead. I READ A BOOK ON A SUNDAY NIGHT!!! 

I still watch as much football as possible on Sundays.  Monday Night Foosball used to be must watch for me because I was that into it.  Nowadays, I have no desire to watch MNF or TNF.  The Thursday product is so bad.  I'd prefer them to get rid of it completely, but the only way those games would improve is if each team that plays on a Thursday has a bye week the previous week.  Playing on a Sunday then having to suit up again on Thursday is just not enough time for these guys to heal and give it their best.

I watch every second of the Skins games.  If they are not on, then it's RZC all the way.  That is the best channel in the history of western civilization for me.  As long as there's fantasy football, I'll have an interest in the non Redskins games.  

I've been trending down for a few years now in terms of how much football I watch. I still always catch Redskins games, but rarely do I watch a Monday night game and I never watch a Thursday game (they are stupid and need to go away, save for Thanksgiving). 

I used to know almost the entire roster of every team. Now there are teams where I'm not even sure who the head coach is. The games get annoying to watch. Refs always screwing up calls, delaying the game, BS calls being made to favor the offense, WR puts his helmet down to draw contact and defense gets flagged. Goodell has been a significant reason for it all too. The inconsistencies with moral penalties, the ridiculousness with coming down on celebrations, the stupid rule changes, etc. They need to stop trying to make football happen every single day, they need to offer single-team sunday ticket packages, and they need to simplify the rules and go back to how it was done even just 5 years ago. Invest in new, better player gear and allow defenses to hit again.

I still watch every time a game is on. I'll watch tonight. I enjoy the game. I don't get to attend as many games as I'd like, but living 5 1/2 hrs away from Fed Ex Field is the issue with that. I've noticed my enjoyment of going to games has declined, but that has to do with how fans behave and not the product on the field. Too many fans get drunk and act like idiots at games. As for the game itself, I do get annoyed with some of these stupid rules and every year they try to clarify what a catch is, it gets harder and harder to know what a catch actually is.

Even though I'll watch the game tonight, I think they should get rid of Thursday night football. Save it for Thanksgiving and if they really have the itch to do more games on Thursday, limit it to one or two other weeks. Opening week is fine, but make the others around Thanksgiving. But for the players sake, put the bye week before the Thursday game.

I think there is an oversaturation that is affecting a lot of people. People used to enjoy the game and want more of it. Like most things in life we want more of, when we get more, it then becomes too much. 

I haven't missed a snap in a skins game in almost 15 years.but yes my love for the game has diminished each year..and honestly I think it will till bellicheck and Brady are out of the league...the NFC is pretty much always open but every years it's the patriots on the other side and it sucks

Anyone else not catch a single minute today? Granted I had to do something for work but that was only 3-7. Didn't even think about football, before or after, until right now.

Edit: should note that I don't own a TV (stream the Skins games and other stuff) so maybe it would be a different story if it was more accessible to me. Doubt it though. Didn't own a TV in other stops in life (like living in the barracks in the Army) and I always made sure to find a way to spend my Sunday's watching football. Whether it was going to a bar or crashing at family or friends. And hell I've had girlfriends in the past nag me about going to church with them on Sunday and replying in all seriousness that as an American, football is my church. And now I've lost my faith ???

Weird, but I probably watched more yesterday then in previous weeks.  It was my first weekend at home that I decided to relax.  I guess with no real rooting interest with the exception of our division, I was just chill.  I really didn't watch any of the Dallass/Clev or NYG/Philly games.  I watched the other games.

15 hours ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

Anyone else not catch a single minute today? Granted I had to do something for work but that was only 3-7. Didn't even think about football, before or after, until right now.

Edit: should note that I don't own a TV (stream the Skins games and other stuff) so maybe it would be a different story if it was more accessible to me. Doubt it though. Didn't own a TV in other stops in life (like living in the barracks in the Army) and I always made sure to find a way to spend my Sunday's watching football. Whether it was going to a bar or crashing at family or friends. And hell I've had girlfriends in the past nag me about going to church with them on Sunday and replying in all seriousness that as an American, football is my church. And now I've lost my faith ???

Yeah pretty much.

-Went to Mass

-Had lunch with some friends

-Took a bomb ass nap

-Had dinner with friends (Sundays are pretty much my only day off)

-E-mailed contacts for my freelance story

-Went to bed early

I mean, I caught a few moments here and there when I was in the car and when I was having dinner but that was it.

8 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I just lost a bit more interest after those two blown calls at the end of the half in Seattle.  Total garbage.

When Josh Norman gets flagged for farting in the general direction of AJ Green, but this goes uncalled:

It's mind boggling how bad the referees are in the NFL--it's not entirely their fault, they're part-time employees, and the rules are so convoluted, no one knows what constitutes a penalty anymore--especially at that game speed. But, that's not the only problem with the NFL.

I happily present the Riggo#44's Definitive List of Why the NFL Sucks:

1. They were able to get away with the Cap Penalty. It's been 4+ years, and I am still mad and still wondering how they managed to justify this.
2. Roger Goodell. Ruining the league single-handed. A complete and total hypocrite who wants to champion "player safety" but clearly doesn't give two ****s about it, as evidenced by forcing Thursday Night games--I equate it to forcing a pitcher to go on short rest once a week--it's a terrible product, and increases the chance at injuries. If you were watching the NFL for the 1st time--and you watched the Thursday Night game, would you ever watch another game again? No. To add to that, he wants an 18-game season--probably to add to the ad revenue, since ratings are dropping like a rock. He meters out penalties and suspensions on a complete whim (See #1). There is no standard--his initial punishment for Ray Rice was 2 games, and he knocked out his fiance and dragged her out of an elevator. Tom Brady got 4 games for playing with his balls.
3. As I said above, the penalties/officiating/idiotic rules. Referees are essentially Eric Idle in Monty Python's Holy Grail, as the guard in Swamp Castle. (For reference, at the 1:59 mark, or watch the whole thing, it's hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3YiPC91QUk). They have no idea what to call. I will give them credit though, they are not the ego-maniacal assholes MLB Umpires are--NFL coaches scream at NFL officials all game long, Bryce Harper doesn't bow and pay homage to Marvin Hudson, he gets tossed. Side note: MLB better be careful with these idiotic slide rules, or they will be the new "Does anyone know what a catch is?"
4. Does anyone know what the **** constitutes a catch? Anyone? No? Ok, we'll move along.
5. Color Rush uniforms. Who the **** thought these were a good idea? Oh right...see number 2.
6. Multiple London games: Chris Baker said it best on the radio: That sucked. One a year is fine, adding several is nothing more than a cash-grab. Britons don't care, it's a novelty for them that will die out.
7. ESPN/CBS/FOX/NFL Network. Their staffing plan is one sentence "Hire former players." There is no other qualification other than that. No need to be able to speak intelligently or have a coherent, rational thought--how else does Lavar Arrington get a job "analyzing" the game. He wouldn't know a game plan if it looked like ScarJo and gave him a handjob. The coverage of games is entirely sensational with very little substance. It's like each network is trying to be louder and dumber. There is very little objective, intelligent analysis or coverage, just Cris Collinsworth.
8. Length of games. Baseball gets the lion share of blame for this, but the NFL is literally Commercial, kickoff, commercial, however-long-series (perhaps with a commercial mixed in), punt, commercial. Injury? Commercials! Time out? Commercials! Commercials? Commercials!!
9. Celebrations. Bryce Harper needs to make football fun again. Edwin Encarnacion would have been fined $50,000 for his walkoff against the Orioles if he played for the NFL. Harper, Jose Fernandez (RIP), and the like would be broke--they would get fined weekly. I am not talking about taunting to being a complete moron, but allow a little celebration. The Fun Bunch was a wonderful, team celebration. It wasn't taunting in anyway (even when they did it over a bunch of Cowboys who tried to break it up...). How in the hell is dunking a ball over a goal post the same penalty as doing your best Nightrain Lane impersonation?
10. John Mara. Hid evidence of that scumbag kicker--and faced no penalties. See #1.

I was talking with a friend of mine, who is a Wizards fan--he put it like this: I love the Wizards, I hate the NBA. I am in the same boat with the NFL--I love the Redskins, but I hate the NFL. It's taken the fun out of the game for me--I care a lot less about the NFL than I did 2 years ago.

On 11/8/2016 at 11:05 PM, sebestian said:

I agree to some extent especially regarding the amount of commercials.  However, doesn't Goddell work for the owners and as long as the owners pockets are being lined with green, do not expect a change.  JMO.

Owners basically keep Goodell in power, yes.

On 11/8/2016 at 10:05 PM, sebestian said:

I agree to some extent especially regarding the amount of commercials.  However, doesn't Goddell work for the owners and as long as the owners pockets are being lined with green, do not expect a change.  JMO.

If ratings continue to dwindle that'll change quickly, even if the financial implications are minimal in the short term. 

If there's one thing elitist billionaires love more than a puppet, it's a scapegoat. They'll turn on him faster than you can say "collusion". 

I've grown tired and agitated by the league for sure.  But that's political and off the field stuff mostly.  Occasionally there will be on the field shenanigans that either blow my mind or don't surprise me at all because it's "so NFL."

I have noticed that I've stopped playing Madden.  I'm not sure if it's because I've pretty much played nothing but Madden for my entire adult life until a few years ago or if it's because PROPER football and hockey have a bigger piece of my heart than they would normally.  Probably a little of both.

I also don't live and die by sports talk radio anymore.  But that's a combo of me doing more work and me not having the time because I'd rather spend it with my kids.

I get most of my sports info and team comraderie stuff from this website. 

4 hours ago, Rey713 said:

Owners basically keep Goodell in power, yes.

Owners? You mean John Mara :P

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

If ratings continue to dwindle that'll change quickly, even if the financial implications are minimal in the short term. 

If there's one thing elitist billionaires love more than a puppet, it's a scapegoat. They'll turn on him faster than you can say "collusion". 

Which means that they'll likely turn off of John Mara as well, which is good for us.

18 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Owners? You mean John Mara :P

Which means that they'll likely turn off of John Mara as well, which is good for us.

John Mara getting locked away in a third world prison would be one step towards improving the NFL and its "integrity".

For me, the answer is a resounding "yes."  I used to watch every Sunday Night game, Monday Night game, and I knew just about every starter on every team.  Some of that came from playing fantasy, some of it from just general interest.

My interest is now solely the 'Skins.  I really don't watch much other football.  If there's a really marquis game, I might.  But I'm not ever sure what that is anymore.  There's no Brady/Manning. Raiders vs. Pats?  I'm sorry, I'm going to have a really hard time getting up for that, even though it's probably the best 2 teams in the AFC.

Seattle vs. Dallas?  ugh.  I dunno if I'd want to watch that. What are the other marquis matchups?  I probably would watch Saints vs. Falcons, mostly because my wife is a Saints fan and that could be a good game.

But seriously, I'm not sure that there is a real draw to watch anything other than 'Skins at this point for me.  Shrug.  That's a HUGE change.

I don't think it's really rules/officiating/quality of produce.  I just find it really hard to get interested.  In the past, a matchup of Green Bay and Indy would have been awesome.  Aaron Rodgers vs. Andrew Luck, you probably are going to see some good QB play, good game.  Meh.  I found it hard to care. 

I don't know.  It's interesting. 

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

For me, the answer is a resounding "yes."  I used to watch every Sunday Night game, Monday Night game, and I knew just about every starter on every team.  Some of that came from playing fantasy, some of it from just general interest.

My interest is now solely the 'Skins.  I really don't watch much other football.  If there's a really marquis game, I might.  But I'm not ever sure what that is anymore.  There's no Brady/Manning. Raiders vs. Pats?  I'm sorry, I'm going to have a really hard time getting up for that, even though it's probably the best 2 teams in the AFC.

Seattle vs. Dallas?  ugh.  I dunno if I'd want to watch that. What are the other marquis matchups?  I probably would watch Saints vs. Falcons, mostly because my wife is a Saints fan and that could be a good game.

But seriously, I'm not sure that there is a real draw to watch anything other than 'Skins at this point for me.  Shrug.  That's a HUGE change.

I don't think it's really rules/officiating/quality of produce.  I just find it really hard to get interested.  In the past, a matchup of Green Bay and Indy would have been awesome.  Aaron Rodgers vs. Andrew Luck, you probably are going to see some good QB play, good game.  Meh.  I found it hard to care. 

I don't know.  It's interesting. 

I'm basically in the same boat, although I did  watch quite a bit last week when the Skins were on bye.

Archived