Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you lost interest in the NFL?

BornaSkinsFan83

I missed my first Skins game in 25 years a couple of weeks ago while I was on a Cruise. What i realized is that i missed it but really not that much. I love football and played it for 12 years. I also coached for years. The NFL game has become unwatchable in game format. I watch the Skins game and then Redzone the rest of Sunday. Whoever makes the scheduling for prime time games is an idiot. The quality of the match ups this season has been trash. The NFL game is 2 hours of commercials and an hour of play. And the experience is even worse at the Stadium. You sit there sometimes for 10 minutes to watch a kickoff. The number of flags and replay review have also ruined the NFL game. I went to watch my sons Homecoming game last week. Now that is real football. The kids play because the game is fun. And they love it. The NFL of the 70's through 90's was a fantastic product, Now it is just junk. College football is also heading the same way unfortunately. With the recent ratings they better move quick if they want to save there nestegg. Replay should be like college. The refs need to let the players play. And TV needs to charge more for commercials and have less of them to save the NFL IMO.

It's one thing that there are more penalties in an effort to prevent injuries (I think it's taken too far, though, with receivers putting themselves in vulnerable positions making it illegal to hit them), but when did this become a league where taunting and TD celebrations are 15 yard penalties?  That puts them on the same level as a late dirty hit.

• 4 weeks later...

Outside of Skins games, I still watch some other games on Sundays.  I don't find myself "wanting" to watch them like I did years ago, where I'd watch any game from start to finish regardless of who was playing.  If it's not a good match-up and doesn't involve the Redskins, I might have it on in the background if I'm on my computer or playing PS4/XB1 or I'll start watching something else.  I'm definitely not glued to my seat watching other teams play like I was in the past.

One of my biggest complaints is they have too many nights of football now.  I know when compared to other sports it's not close, but I would prefer that it go back to the old format and they only play on Sundays at 1pm or 4pm and one game on Monday night with those couple of games late regular season on Saturday.  

Them adding the 8:30 pm Sunday night and Thursday night games has made it almost too much for me.  I don't watch the Sunday night game unless it involves the Redskins, I usually go to bed around 10pm and there is always one or two of our shows that are on during the game.  

The Thursday night match-ups have been horrible for the most part and I rarely watch those games unless its the Skins playing (excluding Thanksgiving games - I've always watched those and still enjoy).  I know they make a lot of $$$ from the TV deals, so that will never go away and I'm sure they would add more days if they could find a way to make it work if it lined their pockets.

Yeah, TNF is a disaster. It's damn near unwatchable. And that's coming from someone that normally can't get enough of the NFL.

TNF and London/Mexico all need to be a thing of the past. Hell, MLB finally got rid of the All Star game winner getting home field. So maybe there's hope.

3 hours ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

Yeah, TNF is a disaster. It's damn near unwatchable. And that's coming from someone that normally can't get enough of the NFL.

TNF and London/Mexico all need to be a thing of the past. Hell, MLB finally got rid of the All Star game winner getting home field. So maybe there's hope.

They did? When?

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They did? When?

Yeah think it was just last week that they announced it. Maybe the week before.

I thought Sunday night football has been around for a minute? Just that they turned it into THE primetime game of the week recently, replacing Monday night football in that role. Basically reversed places. Seem to remember games on Sunday night in my childhood but maybe I'm wrong

BTW when was the last time the NFL ever reversed itself and admitted error? Going back to replay?

21 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

One of my biggest complaints is they have too many nights of football now.  I know when compared to other sports it's not close, but I would prefer that it go back to the old format and they only play on Sundays at 1pm or 4pm and one game on Monday night with those couple of games late regular season on Saturday.  

Them adding the 8:30 pm Sunday night and Thursday night games has made it almost too much for me.  I don't watch the Sunday night game unless it involves the Redskins, I usually go to bed around 10pm and there is always one or two of our shows that are on during the game.  

The Thursday night match-ups have been horrible for the most part and I rarely watch those games unless its the Skins playing (excluding Thanksgiving games - I've always watched those and still enjoy).  I know they make a lot of $$$ from the TV deals, so that will never go away and I'm sure they would add more days if they could find a way to make it work if it lined their pockets.

Too much football, all the time.... I agree that's a problem. This and game that last forever.There's 4 Quarters in a game. They all last 15 minutes... Yet 1 pm games ends up at what??? 4 pm? 4.20 pm mostly? That's way too long. Way too boring (no pun intended to our beloved P here). I easily understand the need for ads and stuff. That's obvious, but you're just killing the product with so many. Put less, make a more flawless game with less downtime, and you could watch offenses and D get really tired, right now, that's hard to see. But you'll also have trouble keeping guys warmth...

Who's gonna spend 7H on sunday to watch 2 games of football?

15 hours ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

Yeah think it was just last week that they announced it. Maybe the week before.

I thought Sunday night football has been around for a minute? Just that they turned it into THE primetime game of the week recently, replacing Monday night football in that role. Basically reversed places. Seem to remember games on Sunday night in my childhood but maybe I'm wrong

BTW when was the last time the NFL ever reversed itself and admitted error? Going back to replay?

You're right.  Used to be on ESPN.  Thiesman, Mike Patrick and somebody else were on the call.  

That Giants vs. Skins tie in 199? was on it.  When Westbrook took his helmet offto get a personal foul penalty, Joe lost his mind.  

47 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Too much football, all the time.... I agree that's a problem. This and game that last forever.There's 4 Quarters in a game. They all last 15 minutes... Yet 1 pm games ends up at what??? 4 pm? 4.20 pm mostly? That's way too long. Way too boring (no pun intended to our beloved P here). I easily understand the need for ads and stuff. That's obvious, but you're just killing the product with so many. Put less, make a more flawless game with less downtime, and you could watch offenses and D get really tired, right now, that's hard to see. But you'll also have trouble keeping guys warmth...

Me. I watch at least 2 games every Sunday. It's not necessarily the length of the games that is the problem. The Thursday games are just an awful product. And it's because there isn't enough time in between games for these players to recover. 

And when you already have a Sunday night game, as well as Monday night, then over saturation becomes a problem, too.  I never started feeling this way until the NFL started the Thursday night games. It's just too much. Hopefully they do away with them in the near future.

35 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You're right.  Used to be on ESPN.  Thiesman, Mike Patrick and somebody else were on the call.  

That Giants vs. Skins tie in 199? was on it.  When Westbrook took his helmet offto get a personal foul penalty, Joe lost his mind.  

Think the other one was Paul McGuire.

16 hours ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

You're right, it's been around since 1987.  Starting on ESPN until 2006 when they took over MNF.  But up until 1998 it was only for the 2nd half of the season, they would show like 8-9 games usually starting the beginning of Nov.  I think I'm a few years older than you (I'm 41), so I remember no Sunday night football before 1987.  I'd wish they would go back to the original format prior to 1987 or back to the half season format prior to 1998.  

It made the games more fun when it was getting "extra football" the second half of the season, imo.  I'd even be happy with doing the first half of the season on Thursday nights and the second half on Sunday nights.  Of course with the TV contracts that couldn't happen until 2022 (that's when NBCs contract is up).  Not that they would loose money to do that either.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

The length of the game doesn't bother me that much.  It's around 3 hours 14 minutes now, which is up over years past, but most games were still around the 3 hour + mark, even way back.  After the Redskins game, I'll find another game to watch, usually the best match-up for the 4pm games or if it involves a rivalry team.  But I'll start gaming on my console while it's on, watching here and there, never glued anymore.  

But at 7:30 - 8pm when that game is over, I just don't feel like watching another game at 8:30, it's too much for me now.  I guess as I've gotten older and been on a consistent work schedule since 2002 (M-F), I don't enjoy staying up until midnight before my work week starts over Monday morning.  I'm usually tired from staying up way too late Friday and Saturday and from drinking Sunday during the games.   During the week, I usually go to bed around 11pm - midnight, so it's not sleep that bothers me for the Thursday night game, its the games just suck.  

54 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

1997 - I remember that game well, it cost us the playoffs and provided the universe with the infamous Gus Ferotte headbutt.

On 12/11/2016 at 9:57 AM, Wildbunny said:

I like to DVR games and then watch them later when I can fast forward through all the ads and breaks in the action.  Makes the games much more bearable.  Now I can avoid all those ridiculous commercial breaks like when someone scores a touchdown, after the extra point there are a bunch of commercials, then they have one play, the kickoff, and then more commercials.  Annoying.

Archived