Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Combo Thread: Redskins Flex Scheduling Updates/Playoff Positioning Updates

kleese

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

For me the Bengals game hurt the most because Hopkins missed basically an extra point distance FG and it also started him down the path of suddenly being inconsistent.  Not sure if that miss stuck in his head for awhile, but seems like after that missed chip shot, he had missed 50% of his field goals until yesterday.

All the other "could have won" games have just as many arguments that they could have lost too, but the Bengals game was a tough hard-fought OT game where the team scratched and clawed their way to get into position to win and going into the kick, I didn't even think missing it was possible.  It sucked.

I still hold Joe Barry personally responsible for being the village idiot and costing us the Detroit game.  They LET the lions walk right down the field, and then brought 3 on the critical down. I mean, they played soft zone and let a pro bowl QB pick up 10-20 yards in chunks without posing any resistance.  

Absolutely inexcusable.  And I think the Bengals AND Detroit games are both completely self inflicted wounds that either were choke jobs or idiot coaching jobs.  

No team can can win anything with the village idiot as a coordinator.

2 minutes ago, Tom [Giants fan] said:

If the Cowboys beat the Lions, the Redskins are win and in. 

Yes.  I hope Stafford's Finger falls off.  

Absent that, given that Dallas has nothing really to play for, and Detroit does, I favor Detroit in that game.

IF Dallas wins, I assume NYG will rest some folks, so Skins should have an easier time with NYG.  

1 minute ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Not sure anyone cares or if this is the thread to post this, but our 2017 schedule is basically set......Add the Vikings at home and most likely the Saints on the road..still a chance it could be Panthers away instead of Saints.

Yep. 

Home: 

cowboys 

giants 

eagles 

Cardinals 

49ers

Broncos 

raiders 

NFC north (Vikings)

Away:

Cowboys 

Giants 

eagles 

rams 

seahawks

chiefs 

chargers

3rd place team in NFC south (saints or panthers)

i think we could do pretty well against those opponents 

Gotta figure out what away game to attend next season.  Want to eventually go to Jerry World, but we'll play there every year. Experiencing Seattle would be cool as well (although that's a long flight). We haven't played in KC since 2005, and I've always heard its a great atmosphere at Arrowhead.

Lot of it will depend on when the dates come out in April. 

1 hour ago, HapHaszard said:

John Keim ESPN Staff Writer 

With a possible playoff berth at stake, the NFL moved the Redskins season finale vs. the Giants to a 4;25 p.m. kickoff. If Detroit loses to Dallas Monday night then the Redskins would make the postseason with a win.

Actually, no ... if Detroit loses Monday then GB-DET ends in a tie, all three of us are 9-6-1.  GB wins the North based on their 1-0-1 record while Detroit gets the second wild card on the head to head victory.

59 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Gotta figure out what away game to attend next season.  Want to eventually go to Jerry World, but we'll play there every year. Experiencing Seattle would be cool as well (although that's a long flight). We haven't played in KC since 2005, and I've always heard its a great atmosphere at Arrowhead.

I was at that Arrowhead game in 2005... man, it was cool. 

Also remember that we could play in Los Angeles TWICE next year if the Chargers move. 

2 hours ago, HapHaszard said:

John Keim ESPN Staff Writer 

With a possible playoff berth at stake, the NFL moved the Redskins season finale vs. the Giants to a 4;25 p.m. kickoff. If Detroit loses to Dallas Monday night then the Redskins would make the postseason with a win.

Seriously hate flex scheduling.  Having to wait an extra 3 hours for the Skins.  Add to that, Fox will probably have their #1 team (Suck and Aikman) doing the game because Norman and Beckham.  SMH!

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Live in St. Louis, have to figure out how to make his game

Go

1 hour ago, HouseBowlrz said:

Actually, no ... if Detroit loses Monday then GB-DET ends in a tie, all three of us are 9-6-1.  GB wins the North based on their 1-0-1 record while Detroit gets the second wild card on the head to head victory.

Good point, I suspect no one thinks about ties these days even though there have been 2 this year.

3 hours ago, kleese said:

I was at that Arrowhead game in 2005... man, it was cool. 

Also remember that we could play in Los Angeles TWICE next year if the Chargers move. 

Yeah, I debate as to whether I want to go to LA to see a game in the old Coliseum or wait until they open the new place in 2019.

The new place looks like its going to be dome-like, but supposedly will be spectacular.  In general I'm not too crazy about going to domes to watch a game......Jerry World, which I guess is a quasi-dome, is a place I'll make an exception for.  No desire to go to the new Vikings stadium or the new Atlanta place which will open next season.

5 hours ago, HouseBowlrz said:

In reality though, that wont happen.  There has never been a season of overtime rules with 3 ties in it, and there have been a grand total of 22 tie games in the last 42 seasons.  Having 2 in a season like we did this year, is incredibly rare.

I have ZERO concern about Dallas resting starters and people are WAY over-stating the motivation thing. Sure, I would have preferred the Giants win so that Dallas HAD to win this game to clinch, but there is no chance they take three weeks off prior to the divisional round. They aren't going to do that. 

I imagine they will cool it quite a bit for week17, but not for this game. Several other points here:

--The Cowboys (especially on offense) have been a little "meh"

the last three weeks. I imagine they'd like at least one more good outing prior to the playoffs to ensure they have momentum. 

--When guys take the field, I don't think anyone goes through the motions. No one wants to get hurt or embarrassed. 

--No pressure sometimes leads to a stress-free performance.

--Even if a few guys do sit, their back ups will certwinly go 100%. You think Alfred Morris or Darren McFadden wouldn't be motivated by some extra work? 

--Numbers game-- you really CAN'T rest ALL of your starters. 

--When this week started, Dallas likely assumed they'd need to win this game to clinch so they have been preparing and game planning for Detroit like any other game. Next week I would say it's unlikely they will prepare specifically for the Eagles. 

Now one negative for us is that if they have some guys on the edge health-wise, those guys almost certainly sit-- same with anyone who gets banged up in-game. And you also fear a little bit if they were to get off to a bad start.... would they work as hard to get back in the game or just sort of blow it off? 

I have a few concerns, but they are minor. I imagine they have had a regular week of practice and their guys WILL play. If Detroit beats them it's likely because Detroit earns it, not because Dallas lays down. 

19 hours ago, Tom [Giants fan] said:

If the Cowboys beat the Lions, the Redskins are win and in. 

I thought that too, but others have brought to light that an unlikely tie in next week's sunday night game would still knock us out.

Holy crap how much would that suck. 

I'd probably go live in a cave for 6 months to recover from that gut punch.

Archived