Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Combo Thread: Redskins Flex Scheduling Updates/Playoff Positioning Updates

kleese

1 minute ago, SkinssRvA said:

Haha, good point didn't think about a tie.  If the lions win tomorrow I think we are probably out.  Can't see the lions beating the packers, especially if it's not do-or-die.  

Are people forgetting that it's not Sunday yet? Lots of people think the lions play tomorrow 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the NYG lock down the #5 seed today and nothing next week can raise or drop them? So basically they now have an incentive to sit players perhaps after half time, especially if they are in a dog fight with a desperate team, yeah?

Also, I refuse to speculate about playoff matchups.  I can't even entertain the thought that the 'Skins would be able to beat any playoff caliber team besides possibly Detroit and that is mostly because of how close the game was last time with the 'Skins playing just all right.  Green Bay's defense is still bad, but Clay Matthews is getting healthier, plus Rodgers is on another personal mission which doesn't bode well for a team like ours if they happen to run into each other.

14 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the NYG lock down the #5 seed today and nothing next week can raise or drop them? So basically they now have an incentive to sit players perhaps after half time, especially if they are in a dog fight with a desperate team, yeah?

Also, I refuse to speculate about playoff matchups.  I can't even entertain the thought that the 'Skins would be able to beat any playoff caliber team besides possibly Detroit and that is mostly because of how close the game was last time with the 'Skins playing just all right.  Green Bay's defense is still bad, but Clay Matthews is getting healthier, plus Rodgers is on another personal mission which doesn't bode well for a team like ours if they happen to run into each other.

NYG is locked into the 5th seed. We can say they have an incentive to rest people, but we can also say the same about the Cowboys this Monday, with the difference being that its only Dallas' second-to-last game and they are going to want to remain somewhat sharp, given they'll have a week off after the end of the regular season.

I like to speculate on the playoff matchups just for fun and for historical perspectives:

Atlanta would promise to be a shootout.

Detroit was the first NFC opponent we played enroute to our first Lombardi and the last NFC opponent we played enroute to our last Lombardi.

GB would be a revenge match from last year.

Seattle would be a revenge match from 05, 07, 12.

Right now if things play out like we think they will, Seattle would be our first-round opponent.  And I'd really like to see GB win the North just to have them in the playoff mix when the tournament starts.......a GB-NYG wild-card round matchup would be somewhat of a revenge match from the 2011 season, when the Giants went into Lambeau and beat the 15-1 Packers.

Here is your update and it's really simple now and many have already made it pretty clear: 

--Technically we CAN'T control our own destiny Week 17. We will still either need one thing to happen or one thing NOT to happen...

--We must win. There is no scenario remaining where we lose or tie with the Giants that can get us in. Packers win today sealed that deal. 

--So nothing in the South matters to us now. 

--We must beat Giants

Then we need:

--Cowboys to beat Lions Monday*

OR 

--Lions to beat Packers next week 

We do NOT need both of these things. If the first happens, the second is immaterial. If the Lions win Monday, then they MUST win again the next week. 

--Note the asterisk on the first. If we get our wish and the Lions lose in Dallas, we still don't control our destiny 100% as a GB/Det tie in Week 17 would eliminate us even if we beat the Giants. 

That's really all there is left to it. If you want to dig deeper into motivations and what not... I'd say if Detroit wins in Dallas we want them to have as much to play for as possible against GB. The division of will be on the line regardless. So that's good. But if Detroit beats Dallas they could also be playing for a BYE. 

As for scheduling I think you can pencil us in at 4:25, but I could be wrong. My guess is Tampa stays at 1pm and our game moves to 4:25, but considering the Giants have zilch on the line it may not. Assume that Packers/Lions is flexed to SNF-- that seems like a lock now. Aren't a ton of other games that will matter to both teams-- due to market size, etc if makes sense to me FOX and NFL would want us at 4:25z 

40 minutes ago, TheItalianStallion said:

So in what way does Detroit beat GB on tiebreakers? If Detroit wins vs GB, that evens up the season series. Their divisional record is even. Heck I think their common opponents record is the same, or similar depending on the outcome of the MNF game. So how does Detroit beat GB on tiebreaks?

It's irrelevant. They can't tie unless they.... tie. If Detroit beats Dallas then they come in with 10 wins while GB has 9. The only way they can both finish with 10 wins is if GB beats them-- which means Packers win season series 2-0 and win tie-breaker. If Det loses to Dallas then they come in with identical records and obviously someone will win and finish ahead. 

This is from playoffstatus.com:

For the Redskins to make the playoffs

Case 1
      Redskins beats the Giants, and
      Lions beats the Packers

Case 2
      Lions beats or ties the Cowboys, and
      Lions ties the Packers

Case 3
      Cowboys beats the Lions, and
      Packers beats the Lions

Case 4
      Redskins ties the Giants, and
      Lions beats the Packers, and
      Panthers beats or ties the Buccaneers

Regarding Case 4 above, it looks like the Buccaneers still have a less than 1% mathematical chance to get in playoffs.  But, if true, in the case below, the Bucs get in and the Redskins and Packers don't.  

Case 1
      Buccaneers beats the Panthers, and
      Chiefs beats the Broncos, and
      Cowboys beats the Lions, and
      Colts beats the Jaguars, and
      Cowboys beats the Eagles, and
      Lions beats the Packers, and
      Redskins ties the Giants, and
      Titans beats the Texans, and
      Forty-Niners beats the Seahawks

Again, this all came from playoffstatus.com

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

14 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

We should have beaten Detroit, we should have beaten Dallas at least once, we beat Giants once and maybe twice, we killed GB...

very good poing our own fans underestimate us

14 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

Nope.  I'm right.

If Dallas beats Detroit, they fall to 9-6 and tied with Green Bay.  So a tie would make both teams 9-6-1.  Green Bay wins their division tiebreaker by virtue of their win over Detroit earlier in year.  We lose wild card tiebreaker to Detroit because of our loss.

dude u are lost somewhere lol dallas is 12-2

If Dallas wins Monday night, we just don't want a tie between Green Bay and Detroit.  Of course, nothing matter is we don't win.  If Detroit wins, we want Detroit to beat GB.  Would prefer the first scenario and then GB winning the division.  This would give us a win over a division winner plus a win over another playoff caliber opponent.  Also want the Ravens to win out.  This would make us 2-2 (one a blowout win and the losses by one possession) against division winners and 4-2 against playoff teams.  This along with a 4-3-1 road record would mean that even if we lost in the first round again, you cannot credibly argue that we were not significantly better than 2015.

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

Well, it we'd won every game we should have won, we'd be around 12-3 right now.  Of course, it you take away all of our one possession wins... If-then analysis is only useful in trying to isolate the issues.

Not to mention the Skins aren't the only team in the NFC that has games they "should" have won..

For me the Bengals game hurt the most because Hopkins missed basically an extra point distance FG and it also started him down the path of suddenly being inconsistent.  Not sure if that miss stuck in his head for awhile, but seems like after that missed chip shot, he had missed 50% of his field goals until yesterday.

All the other "could have won" games have just as many arguments that they could have lost too, but the Bengals game was a tough hard-fought OT game where the team scratched and clawed their way to get into position to win and going into the kick, I didn't even think missing it was possible.  It sucked.

22 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

For me the Bengals game hurt the most because Hopkins missed basically an extra point distance FG and it also started him down the path of suddenly being inconsistent.  Not sure if that miss stuck in his head for awhile, but seems like after that missed chip shot, he had missed 50% of his field goals until yesterday.

All the other "could have won" games have just as many arguments that they could have lost too, but the Bengals game was a tough hard-fought OT game where the team scratched and clawed their way to get into position to win and going into the kick, I didn't even think missing it was possible.  It sucked.

Actually, since the cowboys game on thanksgiving, Hopkins is 7/7 on FGs and I believe has only missed 1 extra point (last Monday night against the panthers. Since the London game, the only BAD game he had was thanksgiving, missing 3 field goals (all horrible situations Gruden put him in). 

49 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Actually, since the cowboys game on thanksgiving, Hopkins is 7/7 on FGs and I believe has only missed 1 extra point (last Monday night against the panthers. Since the London game, the only BAD game he had was thanksgiving, missing 3 field goals (all horrible situations Gruden put him in). 

Missed a FG in Philly, no?

Archived