Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is currently going RIGHT so far this season?

NoCalMike

1 minute ago, zoony said:

The field at FedEx is looking pretty good

I was thinking the same thing.

Although, I'm glad I declined my wife's offer to see it in person yesterday.  She woke me up at 7:30am trying to convince me to buy tickets.  I guess that's the only thing going right, that I have another $500 in my bank account due to not spending money on that steaming pile of crap they called a football game.

I am actually pleased with the offense, minus a few.  Kirk and Matt Jones, to be clear.  Everyone else has pretty much done their job.

Defensively I cannot emphasize enough how great Norman has been.  Breeland is my big disappointment.  His confidence is shot.  Safeties have been subpar, and linebackers/defensive line is just woeful.  Barry has no business coaching us up anymore.  We do not disguise, and he doesn't adjust.  The sooner he is gone the better.

Sua Cravens should probably play ahead of Will Compton.  It's great that Will knows how to call the defense and all that jazz, but he gets overpowered pretty much every play.  

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Apart from Norman, not a damn thing is good about the defense.  Not 1. 

Cravens has been good in his limited action so far.  Trent Murphy was also pretty damn great yesterday.

This defense doesn't have a whole lot going for it talent-wise, and as a unit, they're playing like ****.  They have no pride or confidence right now.  But they've got corners and OLBs, and I think Cravens will end up being a player for us.  I also think Breeland will find his mojo again, although it may take shaking up the depth chart and moving him into the slot.

Positives Heh.

OL Pass protection - largely picks up where it left off last year, and is meeting reasonable expectations. The real kick in the marbles is that Kirk does not look comfortable in the pocket. Imagine no pocket like pre-Callahan.

TE play. Reed studlieness aside, overall night and day from last year; blocking etc.

Barry showed us he can adjust. Moving Norman and then taking away the clean Dak boots. If he is going to ever succeed here, these types of things are mandatory.  I bet it was all Jay making Barry adjust, though. If so, it's probably time to go, since it seems Jay is the better DC.

Special Teams - aren't so "special" through 2 games.

Every year the wheels come off the wagon by mid season. ES melts down.The good news, we dominate at tanking early and pulling the plug. And being 0-2 was actually pretty easy to predict. Let's be reality.  Prime time Pitt and a bit fat L was an easy call. Dallas has largely had our number for a decade if not more. Rookie QBs, have definitely had our number. Yet somehow, we sneak into the playoffs every 5 years.

So we have that all going for us, which is nice.

p.php?a=wi&p=49272

Josh Norman is actually playing the best football of his career

Through two games, Redskins CB Josh Norman is the league’s leading cornerback, with a 91.6 overall grade—a higher mark even than his 87.9 from last season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-josh-norman-is-playing-the-best-football-of-his-career/?utm_content=bufferb1aca&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

If only we had 11 Normans on defense...

DeSean Jackson could have an all pro year. He looks awesome. When he catches the ball, he is electrifying,,  can take it to the house from anywhere.

I am really impressed with his speed and strength..  he has always been a burner, and he looks even faster right now.  How Kirk overthrew him yesterday is a mystery.. but i guess it's a plus that Kirk can heave it that far.

Norman is amazing.. great hands, outstanding instinct.

I am seeing flashes from Matt Jones...  he's still raw, but he has a knack for making seams into holes, and hitting the second level. It looks to me like he's much more comfortable running up the middle than to the edges. I can see the violence in his style that reminds McCloughan of Marshawn Lynch. He's a bit tall in the saddle, though,, needs to get his center of gravity a little lower,, but he's strong, and he has good feet.

Dustin Hopkins is money. Points on the board when he steps on the field. be nice if there were more XPs, but he isn't missing.

That's about it.

~Bang

Josh Norman has been excellent.  

Trent Murphy has been a surprise.  Was excited to see what he can do at DE.  Don't know if he made plays at DE or OLB yesterday though, as it looked like he was subbed in for the extremely disappointing Preston Smith.  

Crowder looks great, and is always getting open.  Jordan Reed is Jordan Reed.  Jackson is blowing by defenders.  Doctson, in limited playing time, has looked promising.  

OL looks much improved.  They gave Cousins all day to throw yesterday.  Run blocking was pretty good also.  

Our kickers have been pretty damn good also.  

...Looking at that list, we could be a much better football team if our QB wasn't playing so horribly.  Yes, we have our weaknesses (especially on D), but we have the talent to compete with most teams in the league.  It's just that our QB and our coaching staff (D coaching staff in particular) are failing us.  

I think there are several bright spots, which is odd. 

1) The effectiveness of the passing game is a positive. This doesn't feel exactly like 2006 or 2013 because we have guys running open all the time. And, we have a QB who has a track record of being able to distribute the ball to those guys. So, this side of the ball does seem like it's capable of doing more without huge changes or drastic leaps of faith by the fans. 

2) I like our TEs. 

3) Jones has been very solid and the OL has looked better than last in run blocking. That's not insignificant given how horrible things were in 2015. 

4) Norman has lived up to the hype so far - we'll see if that continues when we inevitably ask more of him starting in NY. 

5) Trent Murphy actually looks like a decent utility player on D who can hold his own at DE or OLB. 

6) I like the flash from some younger players: Doctson, Cravens, etc. 

Honestly, if Cousins locks in and can be more efficient with this passing game, I think we'll start to score high-20s to low-30s most games. I also think the D played well enough to win down the stretch yesterday. In the final 4 Cowboy drives they forced a turnover, forced a 3-and-out, gave up the go-ahead TD (despite being VERY close to getting off the field a couple times), and got us the ball back on another 3-and-out with over a minute to go. They aren't a strength or even league-average, but they stepped up more than the offense late in the game yesterday. 

I think that the pressure of a contract has gotten to Kirk.  That being said, the coaching staff needs to setup some easy wins for him early.  Get him in a rhythm and allow him to gain his confidence back.  Then he can let it rip again much like he did at the end of last season.  

What else is going well... Honestly, at this point it's really hard to tell.  The special teams unit hasn't had any mishaps yet so there is that.

Josh Norman is playing EXTREMELY well.  In fact, it's almost embarrassing because he looks to be on another level from every other player on defense not named Kerrigan, Murphy, and DHall...

The offensive line is blocking well enough.  Kirk has really had to deal with too much pressure aside from the internal battle going on in his head.

The running game looks pretty awful to me.  Matt Jones is NOT the answer.  Instead of the Redskins offensive line manhandling anyone it looks to me more like zone blocking... they aren't really winning at the point of attack.  It's like the Redskins are pass first offense to setup the run but the run doesn't work or they get away from too quickly when it isn't working?  

The WR's all look good, and the TE's are playing very well.

The defensive line is getting mauled.  There is simply no other way to look at it.  Pot roast needs to be signed ASAP (or anyone else big enough to stuff things up in there).  If Gouldsen and Baker are injured for any extended period of time it's going to get really ugly (if that's even possible).

Archived