Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is currently going RIGHT so far this season?

NoCalMike

Hi guys, it's a positive thread! It's due....I guess....yeah? Perhaps talking about something positive is also part of the therapeutic process!  I will list 3 things.

1. Josh Norman - the big contract, the expectations, all that jazz.  So you can argue that you don't agree with how Joe Barry is using him in the scheme, but lets just examine the work he is doing for a moment.  Barely anything is thrown his way, and when it is, it's either not caught, or a minimal game.  He is causing turnovers mixed with more would-be turnovers.  Basically, he looks like a one-man wrecking crew out there that is just on another level than everyone else on the defense.

2. Vernon Davis - I listed him in the boom or bust thread before the season under "Boom" and it's only been 2 games but I definitely think he has been a great addition.  So far he has caught everything thrown his way and he doesn't go down from initial contact.  I am not sure if he felt he had something to prove being that he has been a virtual ghost of a player for a couple seasons or perhaps coming home to play in his home area? Perhaps both?  Either way, he has been a great compliment to Jordan Reed so far.

3, Jameson Crowder - The TD catch he held onto, and the ability he is showing to get open all over the field.  He was on the field for more snaps than Garcon today and is quickly supplanting his status as a solid WR.  I will be very interested and look look forward to see him get better as the season goes in only his 2nd year as a pro. If he continues this pace it will be a lot less hard to see Garcon not return next season.

That Norman guy can play.  He is the best player on the team right now, certainly on defense.  The oline has seemed to be playing very well but gets overshadowed by poor QB play.  if Cousins was playing better I think the Oline would get a ton more credit, they are ballin right now especially in the passing game.

Same with the receivers.  Reed, Djax, Garcon, Davis, Crowder, all these guys are getting open.

The offensive line has been pretty good in pass protection which is not a surprise to me. They were good last year as well. Sua flashes an awful lot and needs more PT. Doctson in his limited time looks to pass the eye test at least. Norman is a stud and is a step above every other defensive player we have even above a guy like Kerrigan. Crowder looks like the slot WR for the foreseeable future. DJax is playing excellent too. Trent Murphy caught my eye today. He played inspired ball and may have earned himself a bigger role in the future. Our K/P have been steady and consistent. Matt Jones appears to be running harder lately. Oh and Jordan Reed/Vernon Davis look like a hell of a TE pairing. 

My belief in Scott has been proven, and I know that sounds crazy after two home loses to start season, but its true.  If there was any question we have a competent front office, just look at how we didn't blink and risk our cap to overpay Cousins.  He's setting us up to be successful no matter who is here, and we just have to be patient enough to see it through.  There's a part of that says "Either Cousins is taking us to the promised land" or "Scott is rebuilding the roster for sustained success".  I hate losing, but we're truly in a win win situation right now.

Cravens is a baller (who wanted to win today for a dying grandparent who said "just beat the Cowboys." He has to play more. Hopkins looks like be is going to be our kicker for a long time. Jordan Reed is just a freak, as is Norman, so it looks like our guys getting top tier money are worth it. 

I think we finally have a tall WR who can play too. Josh is going to be a good ball player. Garcon has been fine this year, but it is starting to look like he will be odd man out next season as 18 and 80 emerge. 

If we can somehow manage to keep Jackson (and that's a big if, assuming he's probably unenthusiastic about the notion of sticking around)...trotting out Jackson, Doctson, Crowder is more than a capable receiving corps.

Offense will be fine- with consistent QB play, that is.

Outside of Norman, defense has all sorts of problems. FS, SS, ILB, DL, (OLB?), all need to be addressed.

12 minutes ago, TheCoach22 said:

Cravens is a baller (who wanted to win today for a dying grandparent who said "just beat the Cowboys." He has to play more. Hopkins looks like be is going to be our kicker for a long time. Jordan Reed is just a freak, as is Norman, so it looks like our guys getting top tier money are worth it. 

I think we finally have a tall WR who can play too. Josh is going to be a good ball player. Garcon has been fine this year, but it is starting to look like he will be odd man out next season as 18 and 80 emerge. 

Really? **** man I'm even more upset now. We'll get the rematch! I honestly think they should bench Garcon when Doctson has his legs under him. There is really no point in trotting him out there. He has no future here. Dude has been a shell of himself since that catch against the Saints to be honest. 

3 minutes ago, Travdaskin said:

Really? **** man I'm even more upset now. We'll get the rematch! I honestly think they should bench Garcon when Doctson has his legs under him. There is really no point in trotting him out there. He has no future here. Dude has been a shell of himself since that catch against the Saints to be honest. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/grandfathers-dying-wish-to-redskins-rookie-just-beat-the-cowboys-162449856.html

one of three yahoo stories on the skins, unfortunately none of them good... But this made me love Cravens. 

Matt Jones is showing far more of a willingness to run up the gut this year and is running hard. A pleasant surprise. 

Unfortunately, that's countered by having an 'offensive' (take that one how you want ..... ) coaching staff that build their scheme/ weekly game plan to be pass-centric, almost completely neglecting the run. So it's all in vein whomever is charged with running the football. 

Hail. 

On offense I like our WRs so far, especially Crowder and DJax. I also like our O-line in pass protection. The run game seems to have improved slightly but we are still not using it enough to make a call on that. Our tight ends seem to be on track as well. Vernon Davis has shown a lot more than i expected but he has too many penalties, even though that yesterday was bs.

On defense I really like Su'a Cravens. He is so much more talented than Foster and Compton combined and you can see it on every snap he plays. Sure he still has some miscues, mostly in coverage, but it's not exactly as if our starting duo has none of them. He has a very good nose for the ball and has had some huge plays in only 2 games with limited playing time. On top of that he shows the dedication on the field that most of our defense lacks. I really hope he gets more playing time in the next games. Josh Norman has also played very well so far. Trent Murphy had a good game yesterday but he needs to show more consistency.

Our special teams have been very good so far. Hopkins and Way are very reliable long-time solutions at two critical positions and the coverage was good as well.

8 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Hi guys, it's a positive thread! It's due....I guess....yeah? Perhaps talking about something positive is also part of the therapeutic process!  I will list 3 things.

I thought about it before I opened the thread and I came up with Crowder and Davis also.

I also thought the Dline played a little better in week 2, but I haven't reviewed yet. (Trent Murphy)

Matt Jones looked good in his limited action, Chris Thompson is a weapon in the passing game that should be used more.  Chris had a nice block in pass-pro.

Archived