Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is currently going RIGHT so far this season?

NoCalMike

5 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

I am actually pleased with the offense, minus a few.  Kirk and Matt Jones, to be clear

What exactly would you have Jones do when he only gets 20 carries combined through 2 games? He is averaging 4.2 ypc without getting any sort of rhythm going.

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Barry showed us he can adjust. Moving Norman and then taking away the clean Dak boots.

I cannot disagree more with this. Adjust? 4th and 1, the Cowboys literally ran the same exact play the Steelers ran last week and we had nothing for it. On top of that, we came out and bit on the same play action fakes we were biting on last week. Even if you want to give him credit for some kind of adjustment, the Cowboys then made an adjustment on their side afterwards and continued to shove it down our throats

1 hour ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

That being said, the coaching staff needs to setup some easy wins for him early.  Get him in a rhythm and allow him to gain his confidence back.  Then he can let it rip again much like he did at the end of last season.

I agree, but the best way they can help him is by running the damn ball. Perhaps run a screen. Have we seen even 1 screen this season?

Ill actually answer that myself. We have seen 1 wr screen, no others. Why? Becasue we pass the ball 75% of the time, so the defense is consistently dropping 7-8 in coverage, so we cant even run that because there is no threat of a running play.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Trent Murphy (who I've been saying is better than you people give credit) is solid on the edge and doesn't get fooled easily. He's a solid DE. 2 sacks and a FF in one half as the starter.

Completely agree. He isnt a world beater, but he gets his job done and has actually looked so far to have gotten better with his rushes. That second sack where he was basically horizonal to the ground going around Tyron Smith was impressive.

Even against the Steelers we were a few plays away from being very competitive on offense.  its all down to Cousins to get better (read more accurate) but also for McVay to be a little more unpredictable in his play calling.  Calling fades to Doctson time after time and not giving the run a few chances in the redzone is just stupid.  its also stupid going no backfield on a play that could be perceived as a possible run play.   If we can get this offense clicking the right way in the redzone we are top 5 on offense IMO.  And we are going to have to be because our D is simply put BAD.  The only player playing great right now on D is Norman, no one else.  Looking at our schedule however if the offense can get it together we can win a few games.

6 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

What exactly would you have Jones do when he only gets 20 carries combined through 2 games? He is averaging 4.2 ypc without getting any sort of rhythm going.

I am not impressed with Jones as a runner.  I think he is leaving yards on the field that a more natural runner would pick up.  He runs far too upright for a big man and isn't really above average - to - good at any one thing.  Typically jones goes down right at contact, he has heavy feet in the hole, and I'm not sure he has the best vision.  Coahces probably limiting his touches due to his fumbling/injury problems of the past, as well.  

I suppose he's not the biggest problem, but he isn't doing anything to inspire confidence.  

4 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

I am not impressed with Jones as a runner.  I think he is leaving yards on the field that a more natural runner would pick up.  He runs far too upright for a big man and isn't really above average - to - good at any one thing.  Typically jones goes down right at contact, he has heavy feet in the hole, and I'm not sure he has the best vision.  Coahces probably limiting his touches due to his fumbling/injury problems of the past, as well.  

I suppose he's not the biggest problem, but he isn't doing anything to inspire confidence.  

He ran for 4.7ypc yesterday on 13 carries. We should have kept riding him, but we threw it 47 times instead and took him out for Thompson around the red zone after his first touchdown. I think it is more coaching decisions rather than him. I didnt really see him miss yards. He seems to be running tighter to the line and following his blocks, vision definitely seems better than last year. I hope they come out next week and just pound Jones down the Giants throat, or at least try to.

Just now, PortisBetts said:

Completely agree. He isnt a world beater, but he gets his job done and has actually looked so far to have gotten better with his rushes. That second sack where he was basically horizonal to the ground going around Tyron Smith was impressive.

He looks very natural as an end. We need to stop Andre Cartering him and let him do what he's good at.

36 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

I cannot disagree more with this. Adjust? 4th and 1, the Cowboys literally ran the same exact play the Steelers ran last week and we had nothing for it. On top of that, we came out and bit on the same play action fakes we were biting on last week. Even if you want to give him credit for some kind of adjustment, the Cowboys then made an adjustment on their side afterwards and continued to shove it down our throats

Were you not surprised to see him move Norman out of his left half only role? Or, did you expect the adjustment to happen, despite the NFL.com reporting it wouldn't. I was stunned he adjusted, and have no problem defending it happened, even if I suspect Jay made him.

I didn't really notice Dez after that adjustment. Eventually, even the naked boots got properly defended, if just better late than never.  I think there was some adjustments that had positive ramifications. You disagree - I hear you.

But this is the "what is going right" thread. Maybe share some positives you saw. Something more than "we need to run the ball more".

That 4th and 1, did they even have Dez out there? If so, I suspect he was doubled. Or, Hall was a helluva lot closer vs Monday night. The adjustment there may well have failed. But again I consider it a positive he at least is trying to adjust.  By most accounts here, Barry and his defense did not lose this game for us. It's not the game to pile on him, its Kirk Sean and Jay's turn. 

15 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Were you not surprised to see him move Norman out of his left half only role? Or, did you expect the adjustment to happen, despite the NFL.com reporting it wouldn't. I was stunned he adjusted, and have no problem defending it happened, even if I suspect Jay made him.

I didn't really notice Dez after that adjustment. Eventually, even the naked boots got properly defended, if just better late than never.  I think there was some adjustments. You disagree - I hear you.

But this is the "what is going right" thread. Maybe share some positives you saw so they can get torn apart.

That 4th and 1, did they even have Dez out there? If so, I suspect he was doubled. Or, Hall was a helluva lot closer vs Monday night. The adjustment there may well have failed. But again I consider it a positive he at least is trying to adjust.  By most accounts here, Barry and his defense did not lose this game for us. It's not the game to pile on him, its Kirk Sean and Jay's turn. 

I actually expected that adjustment at the beginning of the game, not after it has already been exploited again. Some cases, late is not better than never because the damage is already done. That boot KILLED us week 1, how you allow that same play to happen over and over again the next week before deciding to adjust is beyond me with the same down and distance? Did Barry not think the cowboys would watch tape on what beat our d last week and not replicate it? Because that is exactly what they did.

I just can't stand Barry and hate seeing him being defended. I almost makes me pine for the Haslett days.

You are right though. This is the positive thread, so let me get back to it instead of derailing.

Positives- Kicking game, they have actually been perfect this year, both punting and field goals.

Running game- Its there,its not totally non-existent, we just haven't committed to it once.

John Norman- He has been exactly as billed. Love the way he plays.

The passing play design- While i don't like the way the games have been called, I can absolutely appreciate the way the plays have been drawn up. Receivers have been running free both games.

Young Players- Crowder is the real deal. Jordan Reed is the real deal. Josh Doctson gives reason for excitement in his development. Cravens plays with passion and was all over the place. Murphy looks like he may have turned a corner, literally and figuratively. He played great yesterday. Jones has been playing well when given the opportunity. Scherff is just great.

There are bright spots. If Cousins can play averagely and the dline can put something together (Try Lanier, play Murphy more, maybe even Ioaniddis), then we can still put something together.

I really wish we weren't asking this question in week 2.  It just highlights how much has gone wrong.  I had decent expectations for this team, but it sure seems like they can NEVER build on the success from the previous season.  It just seems like the team can never fill enough holes to be consistently good.  It's just so disappointing.  Anyway, to answer the question:

1. Scot McGloughan.  It astounds me how many people are flipping out on this guy and saying he should've drafted based on need and not BPA.  I think you'll thank him next year if Doctson pans out and if Jackson and/or Garcon leave. He got Kerrigan and probably our best player in Reed locked up long term, and he didn't sign Cousins to a long term deal without seeing more of a sample size. He starting rebuilding the OL, but there's more work to be done and a hell of a lot to do on the DL, but so far...so good. 

2.  The wide receivers.  I firmly believe we are the deepest team in the league at that position.  It goes 6 deep, assuming Doctson turns out to be what they think he could be.  He could be a taller version of Garcon...if he can be as physical as Pierre.  Maybe Crowder is solid, Ross has some speed, and Grant is decent as well. Garcon, never  seems to get the credit he deserves...he's got great hands.  I am most impress with DeSean Jackson...and I never thought I'd say that.

3.  The TE's we're 3-deep at this position.  I don't think there is a better combination in the league. 

4.  JOSH F***ING NORMAN.  This was my biggest concerns in the offseason.  I just can't wash my memory of Vinny out of my head, and when I heard "highest paid CB in the league," my heart immediately felt like it was in my stomach and I thought, well "here we go again."  I was so scared that he'd turn into Byron Maxwell or more likely Namdi Asomugha in Philly.  I was wrong.  This guy is a beast and play maker.  QB's don't throw at him and when they do he does all the big (and little) things right.  He's hungry and he wants to still prove something despite the acclamation and his big salary.  They need to use him to his fullest potential. 

5. Tress Way and Dustin Hopkins, young and good...and I hope they continue to grow.

I just don't want the season to be over yet....for the first time since the early 90's, I just want this franchise put it all together....I'm tired of this when the best they can must is a 10-6, 9-7 record once every 6 years. 

2 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Calling fades to Doctson time after time and not giving the run a few chances in the redzone is just stupid. 

That's on Cousins most of the time.  He is being given a run/pass option on most of those plays and he is checking to that play despite having opportunity to run it and get 3-4 yards, or potentially even score if the blocking is good.  Cousins is just playing like a dumpster fire right now, no other way to put it.

17 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Hi guys, it's a positive thread! It's due....I guess....yeah? Perhaps talking about something positive is also part of the therapeutic process!  I will list 3 things.

1. Josh Norman - the big contract, the expectations, all that jazz.  So you can argue that you don't agree with how Joe Barry is using him in the scheme, but lets just examine the work he is doing for a moment.  Barely anything is thrown his way, and when it is, it's either not caught, or a minimal game.  He is causing turnovers mixed with more would-be turnovers.  Basically, he looks like a one-man wrecking crew out there that is just on another level than everyone else on the defense.

2. Vernon Davis - I listed him in the boom or bust thread before the season under "Boom" and it's only been 2 games but I definitely think he has been a great addition.  So far he has caught everything thrown his way and he doesn't go down from initial contact.  I am not sure if he felt he had something to prove being that he has been a virtual ghost of a player for a couple seasons or perhaps coming home to play in his home area? Perhaps both?  Either way, he has been a great compliment to Jordan Reed so far.

3, Jameson Crowder - The TD catch he held onto, and the ability he is showing to get open all over the field.  He was on the field for more snaps than Garcon today and is quickly supplanting his status as a solid WR.  I will be very interested and look look forward to see him get better as the season goes in only his 2nd year as a pro. If he continues this pace it will be a lot less hard to see Garcon not return next season.

So many positive things just that the losing is making it difficult for people to see.

We ARE getting open.  So the passing game is solid.  Just needs Kirk to hit the open receivers. 

Our OL has been really solid the past two games.  Maybe because teams chose "cloud" coverage as opposed to blitzing.  Even the times they did get home, Kirk could have made plays if his pocket awareness was at what it used to be.

On Defense, they are causing turnovers.  The players are in the right position.  Have not seen blown coverages like in the past. We need better play by specific players.  On Defense, Both safeties need to play better.  

Whether you think Matt Jones is the long term answer or not, the fact is he had a 4.7 ypc average yesterday in a very close game, one in which the 'Skins were poised to take a 10 point lead late in the 4th quarter in.  It was absolutely inexcusable to not give the guy more carries when the run game was working just fine.  I've seen coaches abandon the run too early when it was being stuffed, but Gruden/McVay decided not to run the ball despite the fact that it was working.

Archived