Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is 11-5 or better still possible?

hail2skins

Not talking about highlight worthy bonehead plays.  What dumb interception did Eli throw?  If Cravens doesn't make that interception, we're talking about a 25-30 yard gain.  While Dunbar's interception came off a less than accurate pass, the fact that it was an interception was not fully on Eli and a huge reason the receiver was not in position was not an unforced mistake.  OBJ's outburst?  A known issue that we were able to take advantage of.  The fumble?  It was ripped out of there.  We also saw Norman drop an interception that led to 7 and the refs make a questionable ruling that let the Giants have 3 more.  The Browns fumbles?  Forced.  In our wins, what unforced turnovers were there before today?

14 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Not talking about highlight worthy bonehead plays.  What dumb interception did Eli throw?  If Cravens doesn't make that interception, we're talking about a 25-30 yard gain.  While Dunbar's interception came off a less than accurate pass, the fact that it was an interception was not fully on Eli and a huge reason the receiver was not in position was not an unforced mistake.  OBJ's outburst?  A known issue that we were able to take advantage of.  The fumble?  It was ripped out of there.  We also saw Norman drop an interception that led to 7 and the refs make a questionable ruling that let the Giants have 3 more.  The Browns fumbles?  Forced.  In our wins, what unforced turnovers were there before today?

Come on, the INT by Dunbar was a poor poor decision by Eli and a poor route by Tye. Beckham's outburst, sure we egged him on, but it was still a boneheaded decision by him, plain and simple. The Browns fumbles, neither by the starter, Crowell, who was inexplicably out of the game, including one by a guy making his first carry of the year. I'm not denying the team still needs to go out and make those plays, but usually we're on the short end of these types of plays and rarely do I remember our own fans calling them anything but dumb plays by our players. The Norman drop, what does that have to do with anything? Same with the ref call? 

I'll even add in that Giants game, 11 brutal penalties from the Giants including that backbreaker that negated one of our punts being blocked. 

This defense is, as par for the course, a bend don't break mentality. Lots of yards and fortunate turnovers deep in our own zone. Good teams don't necessarily force a lot of TO, but they do usually limit the amount of giveaways. 

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Come on, the INT by Dunbar was a poor poor decision by Eli and a poor route by Tye. Beckham's outburst, sure we egged him on, but it was still a boneheaded decision by him, plain and simple. The Browns fumbles, neither by the starter, Crowell, who was inexplicably out of the game, including one by a guy making his first carry of the year. I'm not denying the team still needs to go out and make those plays, but usually we're on the short end of these types of plays and rarely do I remember our own fans calling them anything but dumb plays by our players. The Norman drop, what does that have to do with anything? Same with the ref call? 

This defense is, as par for the course, a bend don't break mentality. Lots of yards and fortunate turnovers deep in our own zone. Good teams don't necessarily force a lot of TO, but they do usually limit the amount of giveaways. 

No, not a poor decision by Eli and while the route was not run well, it was not because he just did a bad job.  Deny the facts all you want but maybe you are delusional?

11-5 is a stretch. I think 8-8 is about what we are looking at, but if we keep playing the way we have been, there is a shot. I am surprised to be saying this, but this has been a nice 3 game stretch that we have been on. All phases of the team have looked good at some point. If we put it all together, they can play against a lot of teams. Ravens in Baltimore is never easty

It's fair to point out that we've been lucky in spots this season, but there are plenty of correctable mistakes that we can fix to make up for the lucky breaks we won't have on our side every week. The team has plenty of room to improve and has enough offensive talent to give most teams fits.

I'm more concerned with Kirk limiting his mistakes and the defense not being garbage than whether or not we "lucked" into three wins. It's just not worth thinking about. Our own discipline, however, is.

4 hours ago, glongest said:

How about showing me a game they have been dominant in already.  So look at the wins so far.  The Giants have to be kicking themselves they lost to the Skins.  Had it not been for the penalties they committed there would and should have been a different outcome.  Cleveland again in my opinion outplayed the Redskins.  Heck the running back ran the ball down their throats.  Frankly I believe it that fumble than wasnt a fumble was reviewed and they kept the ball, they would have beat the Redskins.  They had the momentum.  And then today.  But for that bone head play of fumbling the ball in endzone, the Redskins would have been playing from behind in Baltimore against the #1 defense.  Anybody feel good about those odds.  And the Ravens still had a chance and almost did win the game in the end.  

So I would argue that the football gods have been very good to the Redksins thus far.  So look at another aspect of the game.  One of the characteristics

football gods shmootball gods.  you can dissect any game that way, and you could do the inverse for us if u wanted.  

and didn't people already do this last year? we won a bad division and we didn't beat a winning team blah blah blah.  truly awful bad teams don't luck into winning games this often.

and yep there's plenty of season left but nah, we're not lucky that a dude fumbled  (our guy forced the fumble after all), or that another team had a lot of penalties, or that a running back had a great day in a losing effort (we kept them out of the end zone when it mattered). that's football games. 3-2 is 3-2 and on to the next one

People keep pointing out plays that could have changed the game but that happens for just about every team in every game. Thats how the NFL is, the vast majority of games come down to who makes the big play and conversely who makes the big mistake, unless you're one of the elite juggernaut types like the Pats or one of the god awful types like the Browns that get dominated all the time.

Kind of nice to be on a winning streak early in the season. It's a weird feeling, especially since it really hasn't all come together yet on offense.

Unfortunately we have a really, really killer stretch of the schedule we're going to hit in a couple weeks, and I guarantee most of those teams that are looking more vulnerable than we'd have thought in August ALL see us as a potential "get right" game.

We need to prove that's not us anymore and bring it.

Anything is possible, say impossible is a win in Baltimore.  The last time that happened was in Oct. 1955, I was 10 years old, looking forward to my 11th birthday. To be honest the only thing I can remember about that game was a Colts player (remember the Bal'mer Colts?) saying "Even though we lost we are still 35 miles above the Redskins".  Do I think we will go 11-5?  No, but I'll take any win ugly or not.

12 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I don't understand what i'm delusional about? We HAVEN'T been fortunate to be playing teams not playing their best ball?

Not delusional.  That happens all the time in the NFL -- look what the Eagles did to the Steelers a couple of weeks ago.  

Skins have been fortunate in their wins, had some breaks go their way, poor play on the other side, etc.  They've also done some things well the last three -- running game looks better, OLine is playing well, special teams are looking good, and the defense played much better yesterday (although the Ravens Oline is dreadful).  I don't think this team is a world beater by any stretch, but I also think they've not played their best game yet -- especially the offense.  

We'll see -- I still say 8-8 (outside chance of 9-7).  Outside chance that gets them in the playoffs,....still a lot of games to play.

While Im not enthused about our play these past 5 weeks, we are 3 and 2 because we deserve to be 3 and 2.

Now, let me get this straight. If we take away the good plays we have made in the games we have played, and we take away the bad plays or mistakes our opponents committed, we would be 0-5?

Yeah, you could do that for any team. Why do our opponents get the benefit of the doubt on all of the plays they DIDNT make and then we take away the good plays we made? We made plays, we forced errors, they didnt. What about all of the plays we left on the fields and missed? Heck, Kirk missed 3 td passes in the Cowboys game which would have won us the game and we would be 4-1.

But he didnt make those plays. And in our 3 wins our opponent didnt make the plays they needed, we stepped up and won those games and our opponent didnt. Thats football.

3 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

We're still on pace for 14-2, so 11-5 is still possible. 

But that won't be easy in any way. If our offense starts to click and D keeps on playing like against the Ravens... who knows where they will stop?

I don't think were are on pace to go 14-2, at 3-2 it would make sense to extrapolate that record to 10-6 or 9-7, not 14-2. 

4 hours ago, HapHaszard said:

Anything is possible, say impossible is a win in Baltimore.  The last time that happened was in Oct. 1955, I was 10 years old, looking forward to my 11th birthday. To be honest the only thing I can remember about that game was a Colts player (remember the Bal'mer Colts?) saying "Even though we lost we are still 35 miles above the Redskins".  Do I think we will go 11-5?  No, but I'll take any win ugly or not.

My god, they had birthdays back then?!?!?

11-5 should be completely out of the realm of thought right now. Of course it's a possibility - as is the case every year you don't know what any game is going to reveal. If you said we'd be 3-2 right now about the only game we could all agree that we'd have won would be the Cleveland game. Anything is a possibility but the cliche any given Sunday simply always rings true and while I would agree with most on here that we appear to have the makeup (along with injuries) of a .500 club this year, anything can happen and as we saw last year any team can get hot at the right moment. 

More importantly and perhaps most applicable to the overall outcome of our season is this next game. This game against Philly, although early, has monstrous implications for a game not even at the halfway point of our season. Just look at the simple facts: 3-3/1-2 in the division vs. 4-2/2-1 in the division. Those sets of records should have a vastly different appeal for all of us. Lose this game and we're sitting at .500 with a tough stretch in our schedule and by all means would have to win out in the division to have a chance to make the playoffs via a division title. Win this game and we would be a 1.5 games out (could be 1 game if a win were to come against Dallas later) from first place in the worst case scenario. 

I think the current division standings are exactly how I would rate the teams in our division based on performance to this point in the season. I think if we actually found a way to get all three phases of the team working in the same game we 1) Can beat about 90% of the teams in the league and 2) Can log another W against Philly. The problem is we've yet to see that and the offense is a work in progress and although they have been one of the better offensive units in the league, they've been inconsistent (mostly running/playcalling but passing has been it's own problem often enough). 

A win against Philly and we're all on cloud 9 with a real shot as we'd be right in the thick of things. A loss and we're all on here trying to hold the sky up from falling and feeling pretty ****ty. The season is far from over either way but a Loss at home to another divisional opponent certainly makes me feel we'd have to win out in the division to even have a shot at the playoffs. 

I'll reiterate, after a couple down years in the NFC East I would have no reservations arguing with anyone that we are the best division in football this year. That is supported by having more wins than any other division in football despite the Eagles already having their bye. We should all be a little more excited about having a winning record people. 

Anything could happen. Injuries happen, teams stink that are supposed to be good, and the ball bounces funny sometimes.

Everyone on our schedule looks beatable except Minny and Green Bay.  If we split with Dallas, split with Eagles, and find a way to split between Az/Carolina, that would put us at 10 wins.

But yes, one game at a time please :ols:

If we beat Philly it's not unreasonable to think we could go into the bye 6-2.  

Let's assume we can at least take 1/3 from Min/GB/Dal, this team is scrappy enough for that.

We should be able to beat Cardinals, Panthers, and Bears unless they get a lot better between now and then.

That leaves Philly #2, and NYG #2.  If we lose both we're 10-6, but if we're going into the final game of the season at 10-5 I'd bet we're playing for the division, and I'd be very surprised if we lose to the Giants in that case.  So yeah, 11-5, maybe not super likely or anything, but plausible?  Sure it is.

HTTR!!!!!!

We've won three on the bounce due to hussle plays, getting turnovers through guys getting in position and making a play, whether that's Cravens getting position for the int, the forced fumbles against the browns or Nsekhe and Sherff busting ass to get in front of Mosely to cause him to stretch for the line.

Unlike the 80's & 90's, most of the teams in the NFL are kinda 'M'eh' with only the odd dominant team, so attitude wins out more than previously (I also think that's why people think officiating is worse now, with so many teams much of a muchness there's more opportunity for one or two bum calls to decide the game).

Despite the criticism I've had for the defense this season, the combative nature the team has displayed speaks well on the coaching staff, as does the attitude to special teams (Niles doing a 'superman' to try to get a block for Crowder etc.). Will we get to 11-5? Seems unlikely, but we seem in the past few weeks like a team that's going to make others work hard to beat us.

Archived