Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is 11-5 or better still possible?

hail2skins

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Of course it is. Our offense beat us last night. They get on track and do what they should, we'll be good.

If you give up 6 yards a carry on first down, you'll lose 8 games because the football Gods will deem it so.

The only way this team wins 8+ games is if 1) they play teams that just CAN'T expose that weakness, or 2) they get a bunch of turnovers.  

The offense was putrid last night.  But even if they get better, the defense is a liability.

And, to pre-empt the "we were only down by 8 in the 4th quarter!" comment (not necessarily from you, but it will come from somebody), the Steelers could have picked their number last night.  If they needed 50, they would have gotten 50.  They didn't need 50, so they settled for 38, or whatever.  The game was never in question after about 10 minutes into the second quarter.

You know when I think of that game last nigh overall there are two factors that keep coming up for me.  The first is decidedly psychological.  To take two drives down into the RZ in the first quarter against a stout D is not supposed to happen right?  But what happens if you can't punch them in and you have to settle for FG's?  What is the psychological impact?  Deflation?  Unsettled?  That is how I viewed Cousins after those series for the rest of the game.  QB's like Brady, Rodgers, Bree's, Wilson and of course Rothlisberger are unruffled and don't care.  They have the "I am going to win" mentality at all moments. I really hated seeing us with 2 minutes left in the half not try to get at least into FG range not to mention trying deep passes to our supposed "elite" offensive weapons.  I mean we paid big time for these weapons. Didn't do the 4th down heave Big Ben did on us right? More deflation .  No trust in Cousins.  McVay, and Gruden playing it safe but they do not trust him and he comes out in the second half and throws an INT to what?  Prove their point?    So until they decide who they are and capture an identity that has a "we can do this no matter what" mentality we will remain a mediocre 7-9 win based team.  And our O line completely displays a sense of imbalance, deflation with their opt penalized, undisciplined, lack of cohesion.  You cannot ignore these factors in professional sports or any profession.  Penalties IMO speak of deep lack of cohesion on the unit that is penalized.

And then you have your D playing okay in the 1st quarter but then Kerrigan makes a real blunder.  Something you may expect in high school or college.  You just fall on the ball man.  That was deflating, along with the INT that wasn't.  Kerrigan was a non-factor the rest of the game.  We are not a disruptive upfront.  And these are factors with teams that lack a strong identity, cohesion as a group,  because in competitive sports the psychology, the emotions tip the balance.  It really is the "IT" factor.  The knowing you can.

So I am pretty resigned at this point to a 7 win season at best.    This is, more then anything a very undisciplined team.  That struck me the most last night. It is a team that lacks sustained effort and it lacks cohesion.  And it starts between the ears.

6 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Of course got onto ES and saw the usual comments already predicting disaster against the Cowboys, etc. We're fans and get that way from week-to-week.......guess that's to be expected.

Ah, the smell of the British officer class. 

I suppose it's commendable, in a way, the sort of folks who keep playing music as the Titanic is sinking. Must be something in their genes (... or jeans).

This team is somewhere btw 6-10 and 9-7 with this schedule after what I saw last night.  I think, unfortunately, this team wasn't prepared well by Gruden and Co for the regular season.  As soon as Pittsburgh came down and scored on the 4th and 1, we never recovered.  That tells me that this team is weak mentally.  They are also weak physically having been pushed around all night like ragdolls.  I wish we could take a guy like Garcon and clone him 21 times.  A team of Garcons would be a winning team.  

Gruden wants to be liked, but he needs to be respected and feared.  The performance last night was so beyond unacceptable that after sleeping on it, I'm actually more concerned than I was in real time.  Gruden isn't a rookie head coach.  This is his third year with his skill guys and his coaching staff, and we were destroyed on both sides of the ball, while he was standing clueless on the sideline all game.  One of the more staggering moments was when we couldn't get the right guys out there for the extra point--everyone froze-no timeouts called, no yelling or discussions.  The coaches were just as, if not more, confused as the players.  

It's going to take a real serious turnaround for me to write this off as a fluke.  Anything resembling the lackluster effort, the weak mental approach and the complete lack of adjustments to what was already a crappy gameplan, and I will begin to seriously question this coaching staff.  A division crown in an incredibly weak year may be the only reason Gruden is still around.  What we saw last night was coaching/preparation malpractice.  

Cardinals, Panthers, Packers = all guaranteed losses.  That's 4 losses right there.  So we're saying that we sweep the division, beat the Browns, Vikings, Bears, Bengals, Ravens and Lions?

I'd think we'd be fortunate to go 4-2 in the division, and split the other 6.  No clue how anyone thought 11 was reasonable even before they saw how bad the team was last night.

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If you give up 6 yards a carry on first down, you'll lose 8 games because the football Gods will deem it so.

The only way this team wins 8+ games is if 1) they play teams that just CAN'T expose that weakness, or 2) they get a bunch of turnovers.  

The offense was putrid last night.  But even if they get better, the defense is a liability.

And, to pre-empt the "we were only down by 8 in the 4th quarter!" comment (not necessarily from you, but it will come from somebody), the Steelers could have picked their number last night.  If they needed 50, they would have gotten 50.  They didn't need 50, so they settled for 38, or whatever.  The game was never in question after about 10 minutes into the second quarter.

They didn't start off getting 6 yards a carry. They were averaging 4.1 at the half, which is pretty average.

If our line wasn't being penalized every other play and our QB could throw accurate passes our defense wouldn't have been so gassed.

Defense looked great in the beginning of the game. Offense should of had 21 points fast and forced them to not play ground and pound. Just like you shouldn't leave your CB2 alone with the best WR in the league.

Let's see our offense function properly, before judging the defense on constant 7-10 minute drives.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Let's see our offense function properly, before judging the defense on constant 7-10 minute drives.

The defense could have helped itself out by getting off the field on 3rd downs.  The Steelers adjusted after the first 2 drives.  The defense didn't, and they allowed themselves to be on the field for 7 minutes at a time.

I grant you that the offense really wet the bed.  But the defense had a few chances to help themselves, and they didn't really take any after the first quarter.

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

The defense could have helped itself out by getting off the field on 3rd downs.  The Steelers adjusted after the first 2 drives.  The defense didn't, and they allowed themselves to be on the field for 7 minutes at a time.

I grant you that the offense really wet the bed.  But the defense had a few chances to help themselves, and they didn't really take any after the first quarter.

I'm not saying we're the 91 eagles out there, just laying blame where it should and holding off where it's not yet.

Did you ever for a second think we'd have a defense built to carry this team or is it a defense built to hold a lead and get after the QB, like everyone knows it is?

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not saying we're the 91 eagles out there, just laying blame where it should and holding off where it's not yet.

Did you ever for a second think we'd have a defense built to carry this team or is it a defense built to hold a lead and get after the QB, like everyone knows it is?

I think there's blame everywhere.  The offense was putrid.  The defense's job, however, is to get off the field.  At least sometimes.  A job at which they failed at spectacularly.  I haven't looked, but I think that Pitt had at 2, if not 3 or 4 drives over 6 minutes.  At least 1 was over 7 minutes.  That's half a quarter.  There's nothing the offense can do when the defense can't get off the field.  The 'Skins offense had 6, 6! plays in the second quarter, and I think one of those was the draw to run the clock out. 

I place blame everywhere.  And the defense gets it's fair share.  

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think there's blame everywhere.  The offense was putrid.  The defense's job, however, is to get off the field.  At least sometimes.  A job at which they failed at spectacularly.  I haven't looked, but I think that Pitt had at 2, if not 3 or 4 drives over 6 minutes.  At least 1 was over 7 minutes.  That's half a quarter.  There's nothing the offense can do when the defense can't get off the field.  The 'Skins offense had 6, 6! plays in the second quarter, and I think one of those was the draw to run the clock out. 

I place blame everywhere.  And the defense gets it's fair share.  

They're first good drive was 10 minutes long. Impressive.

I'm not patting our defense on the pack and blame should certainly be shared. Maybe I'm trying to find a diamond in a turd, instead of being happy about a solid one in a sea of diarrhea.

Just now, 3 Rings said:

No.

Aren't you the one I quoted last night who said he was done for the season after the first quarter?

Archived