Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is 11-5 or better still possible?

hail2skins

No, I thought 11-5 during the regular season was at the upper range of my expectations prior to seeing the Steeler game but I think it is very improbable now.  I expected some progress over 2015 but the OL and DL look weak to me, maybe they will show more against weaker teams or improve during the year but they were really outclassed by the Steelers.

We can pass and catch, kick and punt but thus far can't be relied on to run, stop the run or defend the pass, just like in 2015. We are stuck with the OL we have but maybe swapping Jones for Kelly or gave Mac Brown a chance to open up our running game instead of the ponderous slow starting Jones our rush would be improved.  I don't think Jones is a good fit behind our current OL.  I think we should be using backs that can dart to the hole wherever it appears rather than a bigger slower starter like Jones who seems to have a hole were he expects it to be successful .  Our OL doesn't seem able to create a hole where intended and a smaller more nimble back like Kelly or Brown might be more effective.  I think 8-9 wins is the best we can hope for now. We need improvement of both lines to hope for a double digit winning year.

4 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I would absolutely bet my life on it. Take it to the bank, it's a lock they won't win 11 games 

I'm with you, gun to my head, bomb in my son's room, whatever. This team isn't winning 11 or 11+ games.  If they do, I'll donate $100 to the charity of the first poster's choice to quote this post (no ISIS or some weird **** like that)

Lol...a lot of this stuff is really funny to read.  I mean...I'm about as down as one can be after that debacle, but it was 1 game.  I'm totally at piece now with this season's seemingly imminent collapse, but i think I'll at least try to enjoy the next 5 games, & see how bad it really is before i start packing up my ****.

I'm fully prepared at this point to have this whole thing blow up in our faces in much the same way the 2013 season did...but i think i want to at least wait to see how this team performs after having more than 4 pathetic quarters to indict them on.  

Sheesh...

If we only play the first qtr then absolutely !!

The team needs some mental goosing, a momentum builder, something in-game to keep the fire going. Once Pitt began to start, the fire was out and no one knew how to re-ignite it. It would take more than a win vs Dallas, it would take a big win, by at least 14 points, to show me this team can still make 11-5 or better, but I'm sorry, the team just doesn't look hungry...

15 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

the point was that those are really good teams that still suffered blowout losses... meaning just what I said. It happens to everyone. Even the good teams aren't immune to getting blown out.

True.

But again, those teams have had years and years of winning and "knowing how" to bounce back.  We haven't. Neither did the 94 Chargers.  And that was my point.

Was 11-5 really a realistic expectation to begin with?  I think 10-6 was the absolute best this team could do if everything fell the right way.  That would've included  there actually being a running game, Kirk Cousins looking the same or better than last year, and the front 7 being serviceable enough to get pressure or at least turnovers, and most likely at least a top 10 offense in yards and points.  Now when I look at an 0-2 in a home start (0-1 in the division), as well as the other teams in the division starting better than I expected, that's not happening; I expected 3-1, or at worst 2-2.  As of right now I think 8-8 is still possible....but if they loose to the Giants, I think the wheels come off and there's zero guarantee they beat the Browns the following week, who almost shocked the Ravens.  If they start 0-4 people will be fired, which is a real possibility given those first 2 games, and I think it starts with Barry.  Norman aside, his defense can't get off the field on 3rd down.

After digesting the last game, I came to realize that we probably will not make 8 wins, but;

it only takes KC to catch fire, and if he can do it this next week, by being more accurate in the passing game, and winning, it will begin to open up the running game for Jones or whoever is starting. 

It is strange how a team comes together, it really is, but it is also special. Look at last year; down 23 to Tampon Bay, and he 'woke up'.  Who's to say he can't do that this weekend? We're better than our record and better than what we've shown, now its a matter of going out there and doing it. 

SIC

15 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

After digesting the last game, I came to realize that we probably will not make 8 wins, but;

it only takes KC to catch fire, and if he can do it this next week, by being more accurate in the passing game, and winning, it will begin to open up the running game for Jones or whoever is starting. 

It is strange how a team comes together, it really is, but it is also special. Look at last year; down 23 to Tampon Bay, and he 'woke up'.  Who's to say he can't do that this weekend? We're better than our record and better than what we've shown, now its a matter of going out there and doing it. 

SIC

Good post. Putting to the side the 11-win discussion (to me that was never going to happen), this season really doesn't have that hopeless feeling. It doesn't look like we are overmatched or easily stopped. Instead, we seem to have guys getting open and just can't execute. Or we seem to drive the ball down the field and shoot ourselves in the foot with a penalty. 

This feels more similar to the 2007 Giants who just needed to tighten things up before becoming a decent team (I realize that they won the Super Bowl, but that's NOT the comparison I'm making). I could see us bouncing back to start playing better over the next month or so. Unfortunately for any playoff hopes, etc. the home Dallas game was one that we really needed to get. As of now, if we can rally to win 7 games and stabilize a bit, I'll still be optimistic with the big picture. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived