Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

zoony

dunno. Things arent perfect, but they were far worse, and black people fought and died to make that happen. You dont have to agree with every principle the country was founded on, but I always figured you could honor the people who helped to improve it. Theyre every bit a part of America and what its supposed to stand for.

Plus, it is your country and all...

Calling your country racist when this country has elected twice an african american president is strange to say the least. I understood that he took offense to see the confederate flag displayed. I never noticed that, can someone tell me why the NFL is displaying star spangled banner and the confederate flag ?

21 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Calling your country racist when this country has elected twice an african american president is strange to say the least. I understood that he took offense to see the confederate flag displayed. I never noticed that, can someone tell me why the NFL is displaying star spangled banner and the confederate flag ?

Yeah man I can't believe nobody told these black dudes that racism ended when we elected Obama. They gotta get with the times. Sad!

Always laugh when really successful people do something so 'bold' as to not stand for a song.

If it's so bad, show your true guts, quit the league, and go into bettering the country that is 'so bad' to minorities.  If it's so bad, how are you making millions, BTW?

Ah yes. The outrage du jour on twitter and Facebook from what I understand. I don't get it with this sitting down thing,but okay. If that's what he wants to do,(and is willing to take the heat),that's his right. sorry.gif

58 minutes ago, btfoom said:

Always laugh when really successful people do something so 'bold' as to not stand for a song.

If it's so bad, show your true guts, quit the league, and go into bettering the country that is 'so bad' to minorities.  If it's so bad, how are you making millions, BTW?

What?  This post reeks of something...

Anyways, this topic is going to get lost over here....I think this is obviously a lot bigger than football and maybe should be moved to The Tailgate. 

I have ZERO issue with Kap's stand.  While I don't agree with him, he's well within his rights to protest. 

1 hour ago, btfoom said:

Cq4xGBfUsAAgqlE.jpg

His ability to make a ridiculous amount of money at a sport has 0 to do with the racism he's protesting.

I get mad when people disrespect the anthem or flag as a means of protesting a wrong done because I feel like those two things represent the best parts of the country and there are more effective ways/better things to target to get your point across. 

That being said he absolutely has the right to sit down during the anthem if that's the best idea he has to try to improve the situation of minorities in this country.

Being the best/most free country on the planet doesn't mean it has no room to improve and that injustice should go unchecked. We should all expect better of ourselves when it comes to that matter.

All these comments about how much money he makes so he shouldnt complain, are the most absurd things I've heard on this board in a while.  There's a black president, you make a lot of money, so you shouldnt protest racism?  What kinda thinking is that?  

Not liking his specific form of protest is one thing, but saying he's doing well for himself so he should keep quiet or racism isnt that prevalent is asinine.  

I respect his stand, but he's chosen a VERY poor way to protest, IMHO.  Yes, minorities can and should be treated more fairly in our country, but I think he could've chosen a better way to express that idea.  We'll see how this goes over with the general public, but I'm guessing it's not going to be well-received.  

33 minutes ago, zoony said:

Who is saying he doesnt have the right to do this?

Seriously, quit saying he has the right to do this.  Nobody is saying he doesnt  

I think the "lulz, he makes so much money, bro" statements alude to the fact he doesn't have the right at least morally. 

Your op seems to acknowledge that it would be a likely reaction as well as others more extreme.

43 minutes ago, Destino said:

I don't get why people react to stuff his so much anger.  He felt strongly in that moment and didn't feel like standing.  

Nobody likes an ungrateful child who lashes out.  There isnt much worse, really

13 minutes ago, MrSilverMaC said:

I think the "lulz, he makes so much money, bro" statements alude to the fact he doesn't have the right at least morally. 

Your op seems to acknowledge that it would be a likely reaction as well as others more extreme.

If hes into protest, and thats truly his thing, hes boring and unoriginal, not to mention exceedingly lazy.  

8 minutes ago, zoony said:

If hes into protest, and thats truly his thing, hes boring and unoriginal, not to mention exceedingly lazy.  

Oh, I doubt you'll get any argument from anyone here on that. Not only is it unoriginal, i personally think it's extremely ineffective.

He'd be better served joining a protest march or speaking at a rally imho.

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

All these comments about how much money he makes so he shouldnt complain, are the most absurd things I've heard on this board in a while.  There's a black president, you make a lot of money, so you shouldnt protest racism?  What kinda thinking is that?  

Not liking his specific form of protest is one thing, but saying he's doing well for himself so he should keep quiet or racism isnt that prevalent is asinine.  

Thank you. 

I was gonna post the same thing but there would have been a lot more f words in it. 

Not surprisingly, a lot of folk don't get it. 

Also it's really um interesting (I guess?) how everyone was applauding Muhammad Ali's stances once he died but Kaep is essentially doing the same. 

Maybe Ali became less scary when he couldn't speak anymore? 

Maybe because Ali was the GOAT at his sport? 

Idk. It's funny tho. 

We love athletes until they want to be actual human beings with thoughts and feelings. 

I don't expect our athletes and celebrities to speak out but I damn sure appreciate it when they do because their voice is louder than ours. 

But who cares? Kaep is a poor QB so his opinions are irrelevant. Or something like that 

Archived