Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

zoony

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, TryTheBeal! said:

I can think of a few teams out there that could easily answer yes.  For me personally, esteemed football mind that I am :), the answer is no.  He's inaccurate with poor touch and a slow release and, for all his speed, he lacks the elusiveness that a guy like Wilson has.  

Everybody bringing up DUIs and off the field violence is doing a straw-man thing.  Neither of those are a distraction along the lines of the Kap situation.  Kap is a NATIONAL MEDIA EVENT.

It's not a straw-man at all. The point is and always will be in the NFL if you can really help a team win, they will find a way to over come no matter what off the field issue there are unless you are flat out suspended. And the season is not over. I believe someone will actually give him a chance when they are really desperate. I just don't think he has enough talent to overcome the potential distraction.

I am not the only one drawing this analogy:  https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trumps-comments-nfl-league-sponsors-will-set-tone-200626545.html

Form the article: "For past examples, look at how league sponsors responded when the NFL was under fire in 2014 for its handling of the domestic violence case against running back Ray Rice. Many issued statements expressing outrage, but none did more than a delicate PR move."

The rest is not at all directed at you @TryTheBeal! Just continuing with my own thoughts.

The bigger problem here that I think people are really looking at this from the wrong perspective. For many years minorities felt like they had no voice so they just didn't bother. But that also meant they were not as invested in America as they could be. When President Obama was elected it gave many hope where there was none before that their voice could be heard. So I see the protests as participation in society that has been absent. I see an investment in the future of this country that was not as strong as before.

Peaceful protest is the most patriotic way to participate. So instead of being offended, see this as people that have been disengaged taking ownership of their citizenship and voicing their opinion. You don't have to like it. In fact you can hate what they are saying. It's of course one of the great things in this country. But while you may hate their position you should encourage their participation in society. Maybe just maybe they have a point or two that could improve this already great country.

So if you really believe in the constitution and the values of the founding fathers you have to defend peoples right to protest. Not defending that right is the most unpatriotic thing you can do.

On 9/21/2017 at 9:46 AM, TryTheBeal! said:

Everybody bringing up DUIs and off the field violence is doing a straw-man thing.  Neither of those are a distraction along the lines of the Kap situation.  Kap is a NATIONAL MEDIA EVENT.

That in and of itself is problematic that those other things dont even register, but this is front and center.

8 hours ago, redskins59 said:

What's the point of ignoring me?  You won't be here after tomorrow once you see all the kneeling. Yes, I know you can't read this.

Maybe you should watch NASCAR.

To hurt your feelings, I guess.  lol

58 minutes ago, justice98 said:

That in and of itself is problematic that those other things dont even register, but this is front and center.

Edit

Just because those other things pale in comparison now at least in terms of the news cycle and the current stigma, does not mean it was always that way. When those other kinds of player issues first started being more public, DUI, drug use, PEDs, the outrage and condemnation was just the same as this. People calling for the NFL to permanently ban anyone caught smoking a joint or beating their significant other (I happen to agree with this one), etc. It's just now we have been desensitized due to the sheer volume and more importantly, time. Also there have been some positive changes. Even the kneeling is heading that way. When CK first did it, there was nothing else in the news and it was just about him.Then each other person that kneeled received a great deal of individual scrutiny for a while. Now there are enough players that they are being talked about as a group, not singled out. 

People have short memories - both in remembering how much those other issues were front and center in our society when they were first made more public and in terms of this will mostly blow over in time at least in terms of the news cycle.

The interesting thing here is that Trumps statement actually made it easier for a team to sign CK. They can say it was more to prove a point that the President will not tell them how to do business than agreeing with CK's position. So in the end his statement is quite likely to have the opposite effect he was looking for, assuming he actually had a desired outcome, which given the track so far that seems unlikely. It was more likely done to placate his base.

If players want to do something constructive they ought to all take a knee after the game, both teams together and pray.  Together with the audience, they ought to pray for the injured, give thanks for all their blessings and ask the Lords grace to promote peace and understanding throughout our troubled nation.  We all know things, all kinds of things, should be better it would be constructive and promote harmony for all of us to ask for His help in improving things.  Assuming of course harmony is the aim, then what I suggest would help.  That is the kind of kneeling that would do some good, and #8 would be the ideal guy to lead the prayer.

Im sick of politics invading every sphere of my life.  Especially the politics of folks who dont know true oppression like under jim crow, or living under military dictatorship (hat tip Ibrahim Babangida). 

Football (and other sports) used to be a refuge.  Now i find myself losing interest.

Not everyone you disagree with is a racist.  Yes, this country has had problems.  Many. Yes, racism exists (on ALL sides).  But no, police brutality isnt pervasive. It will never be fully stopped while human beings are in fromt of and behind the badges.  In my 42 years, God be praised, ive never had a problem with american cops, and ive lived in the south.

I want to watch a ****ing game.  I dont want my flag disrespected.  The same flag was raised over liberated iwo jima, flew over liberated auschwitz, flew over Sherman's men as they sacked Atlanta icing the confeds, and flies over the lunar surface.  It represents a country that has both triumphs and flaws, but overall a force for good.

I stand for it regardless of the whelps of sjw's and spoilt millionaires. 

You know, i lived in Africa (born here, moved there as a young kid).  Amongst my people.  And i loved it there, but we came back for better opportunities (yes, we considered England). I had an out due to my American citizenship.   But i had many, many friends who would have killed to live here. My family spent 20+ years trying to get my brother here, the right way.  First thing he did when he finally got here was take US citizenship. And it wasnt racists here holding us up, but incompetents there. 

I am well aware of this fact: had I stayed in Africa, i likely wouldnt be a doctor today. I dont go in for stupid grievence mongering.  I look forward, and use the past to inform the future, not to take revenge or desecrate symbols out of pique. As much as i love Nigeria, i am an American. I use no hyphens.

Sorry kaepernick.

On 8/20/2017 at 8:30 PM, Veryoldschool said:

These other countries should look at what is going on in the US and take steps not to let their racial mix change to protect the safety and quality of life of their citizens.  

Jesus ****ing Christ. Why are you still allowed to post here? Look at this

On 8/20/2017 at 7:30 PM, Veryoldschool said:

These other countries should look at what is going on in the US and take steps not to let their racial mix change to protect the safety and quality of life of their citizens.  

Humanity is corrupted. I have experienced white supremacy, black supremacy, Mexican supremacy, German supremacy; I have seen Hausa supremacy, Ibo supremacy; I have heard (and spoken) Yoruba supremacy.  And that doesn't even get into gay supremacy, Christian supremacy, Muslim supremacy, ad infinitem.

What is the common denominator? People.  From my life experience, there is no difference between a white supremacist and a black supremacist except for the colours of the protagonists and antagonists.  They all speak the same language: hate. 

I don't buy, however, when you stand up for traditional values you necessarily are a supremacist.  I'm honest enough to say that 'white' countries are doing better than 'black' countries. For now.  But you look far enough back, white people were being enslaved by Arabs and Moors (black).  Egypt and Kush were once the superpowers.  China was once the most powerful economy on earth.  The Maya once had a civilisation that rivaled Rome's.  Someday, Europe will be begging for scraps again.

There is no special elixir in anyone's melanocytes, and there is no special brain-power conferred by the pale-ness of skin.  We are all shaven apes.  Were it not for the moderating force of (I'll get reamed for this) Judeo-Christianity, the Germanics would still be painting themselves blue and sacrificing children.  If you are white anglo-saxon, this is your heritage (that and Woten).  My ancestors sacrificed human beings to Ogun and Sango.  Arabs used to worship a moon god.  And, well, we won't speak of the Aztecs and their proclivities in clerical matters.

Point? No one human lineage has a monopoly on savagery, and no one human family has a corner on the bigotry market.  And contemporary conditions aside, no one race is better than any others; and white folks need to thank their lucky stars the Apostles traveled west through the Roman Empire and not south or east (apart from one or two of them).  And we need to start teaching the children this.  

All this from one shaven orange ape telling another shaven brown ape he was a 'son of a ****'. I just want to watch football without thinking of anything else but whether the Redskins can beat the Raiders tonight.  SMH.

23 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

I saw that post.   He should just move to West Virginia if he is looking for a White paradise. 

And watch NASCAR,  since he hates blacks.

west Virginia and nascar.....way to help promote not being racist

or eye for an eye? that helps too /sarcasm

you have to love oldschool to death...make him love you back :rofl89:

17 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

I rarely agree with Trump but I agree with Trump's destain for national anthem protests.  I like the flag and the country a whole lot more than the NFL.  If the owners let the disgruntled AA players turn the field into their political BLM soapbox I'm done. 

15 hours ago, redskins59 said:

In that case, I expect you not to comment here anymore after tomorrow.  There will be a lot more kneeling happening tomorrow.

You may agree with Trump all you want, but Trump is directly responsible for what is about to happen tomorrow.  

I would also like to know why Trump comes up with  millions of excuses defending White supremacists, but any time an athlete who happens to be black does something, he fires a tweet immediately.

He is a ****ing White supremacist, that's why.  

13 hours ago, redskins59 said:

What's the point of ignoring me?  You won't be here after tomorrow once you see all the kneeling. Yes, I know you can't read this.

Maybe you should watch NASCAR.

48 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

@Veryoldschoolis a white supremacist, who wants to move to Argentina with his fellow Europeans.

44 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Jesus ****ing Christ. Why are you still allowed to post here? Look at this

Let's stop making this about VeryOldSchool, and keep this thread on topic everyone. 

We're currently discussing what to do in terms of his comments and how they certainly align with ideas related to white supremacy (which doesn't necessarily mean he's violated anything here, as concerning as they are). But let us handle it from here on out. No more posts directly about him or who you think he is. Argue the points he's made if you'd like. Thanks. :)   

• TK locked this topic

Archived