Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

zoony

19 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

this is why I dont believe  this.

The 49ers players voted Kaepnerick their most courageous teammate of the year, and last year was the height of the "controversy."

If the players are not affected by it, and they are who we are afraid of with the "distractions," then who is being bothered?

I do agree that his career is over though.

Since then it has blown up exponentially, and with his inability to land a job, even more so. Protests at the league office, millions of opinions, sharply and clearly defined dividing lines. 

His 49er teammates knew him prior to the protest, had more of a relationship with him.

Get him in a new locker room and let one guy resent the presence of the circus that comes along. Let one guy disagree. That is all it will take.

It may not happen, but IMO the odds of that are small.. much smaller than the odds that his presence will adversely affect the team.

Maybe there will be an injury and someone will have need to call him. I've had folks say that as soon as he throws his first TD pass, it will die down. Which may be true among the fans of that particular team. But nationally, i doubt it will. 

~Bang

1 minute ago, Bang said:

Since then it has blown up exponentially, and with his inability to land a job, even more so. Protests at the league office, millions of opinions, sharply and clearly defined dividing lines. 

His 49er teammates knew him prior to the protest, had more of a relationship with him.

Get him in a new locker room and let one guy resent the presence of the circus that comes along. Let one guy disagree. That is all it will take.

It may not happen, but IMO the odds of that are small.. much smaller than the odds that his presence will adversely affect the team.

Maybe there will be an injury and someone will have need to call him. I've had folks say that as soon as he throws his first TD pass, it will die down. Which may be true among the fans of that particular team. But nationally, i doubt it will. 

~Bang

its all media created. I really doubt that players care as much as the media tells them they should care.

55 minutes ago, Bang said:

We have a predatory media who stirs up controversy as a means to exist. 

i dont think most people realize this or how much said media (the media we choose to consume) affects what we believe. and we eat it up, even though we have the incredible ability to cross check almost any fact at any given time. whatever subject gets us fired up and satiates our appetite. we love debate, not so much dialectic. our confirmation biases wont allow it. 

god, we're so freaking polarized. 

In terms of the NFL, Kaep is a martyr. His career is most likely over. He should run for office. He really should. He's smart, he's articulate, he's passionate and he cares. He could do some good.

~Bang

run for office? hmmmm....you realize he didnt vote. (and why)

Ray Lewis says Baltimore was going to sign him then:

"His girl [Diab] goes out and put out this racist gesture and doesn't know we are in the back office about to try to get this guy signed," Lewis said. "Steve Bisciotti has said it himself: 'How can you crucify Ray Lewis when Ray Lewis is the one calling for Colin Kaepernick?'" -- more at ESPN  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20597810/ray-lewis-said-baltimore-ravens-sign-colin-kaepernick-girlfriend-racist-tweet 

On 9/6/2017 at 7:53 AM, Zazzaro703 said:

Also heard what Ray Lewis said and it completely sums up why no one will sign up. No one wants to put up that and bring the circus to town. What organization wants to be talking about controversial tweets all year instead of talking about football? None. So the Jets sign and start Kap and win 4 games this year instead of 2... not worth it.

17 hours ago, Cliffmark1 said:

Ray Lewis says Baltimore was going to sign him then:

"His girl [Diab] goes out and put out this racist gesture and doesn't know we are in the back office about to try to get this guy signed," Lewis said. "Steve Bisciotti has said it himself: 'How can you crucify Ray Lewis when Ray Lewis is the one calling for Colin Kaepernick?'" -- more at ESPN  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20597810/ray-lewis-said-baltimore-ravens-sign-colin-kaepernick-girlfriend-racist-tweet 

what exactly was the purpose of Ray Lewis doing this? I say that because this supposed distraction that no one wants to talk about with Kaepernick is now back on Jon Hargbaugh as he had to answer questions based on Lewis' comments. 

Maybe Ray is saying in his own way that those who think they may be helping him really aren't. They may have feelings that they feel are justified, but expressing them so loudly is hurting his chances of being the non-distracting backup QB he needs to be to resurrect his career.

Her tweet certainly isn't going to do Kaep any favors..

~Bang

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Seems like Ray was just trying to save face and say that he was the catalyst behind getting a deal done with Kaep but it fell through because his GF can't shut the F up.

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Maybe Ray is saying in his own way that those who think they may be helping him really aren't. They may have feelings that they feel are justified, but expressing them so loudly is hurting his chances of being the non-distracting backup QB he needs to be to resurrect his career.

Her tweet certainly isn't going to do Kaep any favors..

~Bang

but the point I am making is that Hargbaugh had to answer questions about Ray Lewis' comments at a presser for a player he did not sign over a month ago.

To me, thats the distraction stuff. It served little to no purpose but to try and get Lewis back in good graces with the black community. And that didnt work for him either.

On 8/28/2016 at 2:33 PM, RonArtest15 said:

Made me think of this quote:

Jim Brown says Ali didn't go from America's most hated athlete to its most beloved until he lost the ability to speak.

That had litte to do with his stance on the treatment of people of African decent and more to do with his whit and persona.

On 9/7/2017 at 12:08 PM, BenningRoadSkin said:

but the point I am making is that Hargbaugh had to answer questions about Ray Lewis' comments at a presser for a player he did not sign over a month ago.

You think that distraction is on the same level as having him kneel with their uniform every weekend? As a backup? :ols:

Also, as you pointed out, Lewis was self serving. I don't think it was an organizational decision for him to go reveal that.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

You think that distraction is on the same level as having him kneel with their uniform every weekend? As a backup? :ols:

Also, as you pointed out, Lewis was self serving. I don't think it was an organizational decision for him to go reveal that.

1) Kaepernick said he wasnt kneeling this year

2) Harghbaugh had to answer a question about something Ray Lewis said, which was a distraction

3) The Ravens are 2-0

This distraction stuff is crap.

I think you should watch Max Kellerman's video on this. Maybe you will continue your awakening.

22 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

1) Kaepernick said he wasnt kneeling this year

2) Harghbaugh had to answer a question about something Ray Lewis said, which was a distraction

3) The Ravens are 2-0

This distraction stuff is crap.

I think you should watch Max Kellerman's video on this. Maybe you will continue your awakening.

So your point is that CK isnt a distraction and as proof you point out that a coach had to answer comments about a player they MAY sign and opinions on it from a player no longer on the team?  Yea no chance of a distraction here.

23 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So your point is that CK isnt a distraction and as proof you point out that a coach had to answer comments about a player they MAY sign and opinions on it from a player no longer on the team?  Yea no chance of a distraction here.

my point is that "distractions" happen all the time and teams deal with it and move onward.

Its not the reason Kaepernick isn't signed. 

He isn't signed because NFL owners do not agree with his political views, which is certainly their right. For people to put their heads in the sand and look for any other reason, no matter how nonsensical, is just people willing to lie to themselves, which is ironically as ingrained in the American fabric as apple pie.

Particularly when it comes to marginalized communities looking to bring attention to injustice.

6 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Things that are true about Kaepernick:

He is being blackballed.

He is a distraction.

He is a very limited, read-option QB that has little to no future in the NFL.

Blackballed is conspiracy theory that is a bit far fetched. It implies and coordinated effort to keep him from playing in the NFL. I just don't buy it, at all. To me the only "fact" that you listed that ultimately has any bearing what so ever is #3, with #2 as a small factor. Ultimately he is just not that good. If he were good enough there would be some team that would find a way to justify the distraction. 

This has and will always be true in the NFL. Players can literally kill someone, beat their spouse or significant other, can get 100 DUIs, take all kinds of drugs, but if there is a team that thinks that player can help them win, they find a way to get over it.

Is there a little more reluctance here? Probably. But blackballed? No. It just means that no one at this point believes his talent and potential to help them win out weights the distraction. 

Archived