Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

zoony

Hmm, about that not being blackballed thing.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/02/report-bisciotti-resisting-kaepernick-signing/

Looks like both the General Manager & Coach Harbaugh want to sign Kaeprnick, but its being resisted by the owner Steve Bisciotti.  This, plus Seattle turning down Kaep for Austin freaking Davis a couple of months back make it seem as though there really is some kind of policy between owners to not sign Kaep at any cost.  It's really tough to see how Kaep is not signed somewhere by now, given the general mediocrity of the QB position today.  The fact that he's not even being considered as a backup at this point on some roster is a joke.  I'm really interested to see what happens when a starting quarterback goes down at some point between now and the half-way point of this upcoming season.  If he doesn't get signed somewhere by October, oh boy.

Kaepernick is just not good enough a QB to warrant bringing in the added media coverage/scrutiny. He's a crap quarterback with baggage, so nobody seems to want to sign him. Big shocker. It has far more to do with his performance than his political activism. Talent trumps everything else in this league.

RG3 also can't find a job, and he's not active politically. He's just not a very good QB.

7 hours ago, samy316 said:

Hmm, about that not being blackballed thing.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/02/report-bisciotti-resisting-kaepernick-signing/

Looks like both the General Manager & Coach Harbaugh want to sign Kaeprnick, but its being resisted by the owner Steve Bisciotti.  This, plus Seattle turning down Kaep for Austin freaking Davis a couple of months back make it seem as though there really is some kind of policy between owners to not sign Kaep at any cost.  It's really tough to see how Kaep is not signed somewhere by now, given the general mediocrity of the QB position today.  The fact that he's not even being considered as a backup at this point on some roster is a joke.  I'm really interested to see what happens when a starting quarterback goes down at some point between now and the half-way point of this upcoming season.  If he doesn't get signed somewhere by October, oh boy.

Is it possible the owner just doesn't want the headache and added negative attention?  32 people agreeing that something is a bad idea doesn't mean he is being blackballed, it means they didn't become a NFL owner by ignoring PR implications.  

If Kaep wanted to go down on one knee, he should have started dating Paul McCartney's ex-wife.  :rofl89:

NFL teams are private enterprises. They can sign whoever they want or not sign whoever they want. This whole thing is so overblown. If Kaepernick put up Brady or Rodgers #s he'd have a team. Is he better then some backups? Sure, but nobody wants a backup that will bring such a negative spotlight. And its not like he's THAT much better. Dude has mostly been ass the last few years.

So long as the media keeps giving him attention as a potential FA, it's going to keep making owner's hesitant. Sure it's a quick news cycle, but media isn't dropping it. If I'm a team interested in him at all, I'm waiting until something big happens in the NFL news cycle and then bringing him him during that so it gets buried.

This whole thing is overblown, almost as bad as Tebow watch.

On 8/3/2017 at 11:43 PM, TheItalianStallion said:

He quietly had a pretty good year in 2016. I think he deserves a job somewhere, even if as a backup.

Funny, one of the fellas at work just said the same thing earlier today - it was the 1st time I'd heard that.  Fascinating.

Colin is too polarizing of a player to warrant taking a chance on, IMO.  No matter which team you look at, all of them have something in common; a struggle for solid stability and as few distractions as possible; He brings so much attention, negative I might add, that it doesn't make sense to bring him on.

Look at it this way; sports, especially football, is a way, a release, a break, away from life's weekly struggles, the job that is wearing you down, and everyone, I mean everyone, black, white, rich, poor, male female, republican, democrat, can come together and cheer for our favorite team, in a unified way, because we are all cheering for the same team as fans.

Any team that signs Colin is going to put an imaginary divide between a lot of these groups of people, because no matter how much you practice and preach it, there will always be antagonists and racists of every ethnicity who are going to side with him, and its wrong. Its not about black and white, its about wrong and right.

12 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Guy at work made an interesting point.  I dont know if it really plaued as a factor but he suggested that Miami didnt want Kaep not because of the flag deal but because of the Castro shirt.  Lots of Cubans in Miami that HATE Castro.  Interesting thought.

"Hey Kap how's the job search going?"

giphy.gif

On 8/6/2017 at 4:39 PM, Koolblue13 said:

He definitely protested his way out of the league on the back of bad play, but he is also getting black balled.

I don't believe he's getting black balled. If he were legit good, he'd be signed. He's nowhere near good enough to justify all the negative attention he brings.

If Aaron Rodgers kneeled during the anthem, you think the Pack would cut him?

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't believe he's getting black balled. If he were legit good, he'd be signed. He's nowhere near good enough to justify all the negative attention he brings.

If Aaron Rodgers kneeled during the anthem, you think the Pack would cut him?

Rodgers is an extreme case. He could actually eat a baby and get another job.

But smokin' Jay Cutler finding work so quickly? Kaep sucks for sure, but damn man.

Cutler's Career Stats: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CutlJa00.htm 

G

GS

QBrec

Cmp

Att

Cmp%

Yds

TD

TD%

Int

Int%

Lng

Y/A

AY/A

Y/C

Y/G

Rate

QBR

Sk

Yds

68-71-0

CK's Career Stats: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KaepCo00.htm

G

GS

QBrec

Cmp

Att

Cmp%

Yds

TD

TD%

Int

Int%

Lng

Y/A

AY/A

Y/C

Y/G

Rate

QBR

Sk

Yds

28-30-0

It's not like CK is miles better than Cutler and the Dolphins went with a much less talented player.  They are actually pretty comparable, especially given that CK has only half the sample size to look at compared to JC.  So, they're in the same ball park, but one doesn't bring the polarizing distractions, especially to a heavily populated Cuban city and one of them publicly supported their greatest enemy.  

I don't see it as black-balling as much as I see it as simply making a good business decision/hire.  If I went around town and on social media saying all sorts of polarizing and inflammatory things, I would expect to lose my job, even if I was one of the best in my position and it was to someone who wasn't as good as I am.  It wouldn't be me being black-balled, it would be me facing the consequences of my decisions and actions.

Professional athletes get the benefit of the doubt and more chances than almost anyone else in society for their transgressions.  I know people will say that his kneeling during the National Anthem is his right as a citizen, but truth be told, many people would lose job security or out-right lose their jobs in their profession for doing such a thing on the job. Also, it's not like that was the only thing he did.  He chose to push the envelope with things he said, shirts and socks he wore, trying to make political statements, supporting the likes of Castro and Che Guevara, then didn't even bother to vote, admitted to not know what he was talking about with several political issues, etc.  It can be dangerous enough for a business to have an employee that openly pushes political agenda's on the personal time, but to do it at work and be openly clueless about many of the things they are saying and supporting?  That is a ticking time-bomb that no employer would be dumb enough to take a chance on.  Again, not black-balling.  That is a sound business decision.

11 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Rodgers is an extreme case. He could actually eat a baby and get another job.

But smokin' Jay Cutler finding work so quickly? Kaep sucks for sure, but damn man.

CK also doesnt have history with Gase.  I think that is the main reason Doofus got the job.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Coaches are often some of the worst at personnel evaluation. Remember Mike Shanahan swearing his rep on John Beck?

Maybe, but the HC has some familiarity with him or at least kniows what he's getting, which would be the same excuse used to sign Cutler for the fins.

I was definitely one of the "Kaep sucks is the only reason why" people for a while, but not anymore. It's definitely more than that.

There's a month to go before the season. Emergency means you go find a Qb who knows the system, and for Miami, Cutler does.

For all the talk of blackballing etc.. it's more to do with football than anything else.

It's not the overly easy "he's not very good" argument, and it's not the easy "racism / blackballing" argument.

It's how much do you have to change the playbook for him?

In most cases, that's pretty significant. He's had success running a system that relied predominantly on plays that is not used as much anymore because defenses figured it out. As in the case of many QBs he has struggled in transitioning to the more traditional style of QB play.

Aside from that..  for all the list of QBs people think are worse than him that have a job,, how many of those Qbs will be at the podium for any extended length this camp?

None of them will be except after games in which they will get playing time because it's preseason and they are backups.

Kaep will even if he never takes a single snap.

How many of the teammates of those other inferior backups will be fielding questions about the backup Qbs political stances?
None of them will be.

Kaep's will, all the time.

the distraction factor is very real, and added into the fact that the playbook would have to be altered to get the best he can give, it's simply not feasible to sign him. He will distract your team, and if needed, he will disrupt the offense. And as we get closer to the season, it gets harder. The teams who have had emergencies arise don't fit him at all (Baltimore), or have the luck of having a guy who knows their coach and system waiting for a call. (Miami)

And then this morning i see that his supporters are going to protest at the NFL offices, and the only thing i can think is that this is not helping him get a job anywhere in the NFL.

Backup Qbs need to be background scenery, and nothing else unless emergency dictates their being thrust into action.

And Kaepernick simply can't be, no matter how hard he may try to be.  he could try his best to keep his mouth shut and just do his job, and the media frenzy will not relent, because the public and it's incessant need to give their opinion on everything means that every thing he says or does, or doesn't say or doesn't do, translates to clicks.

It's the same as tim Tebow..   the level of talent is simply not enough to accept the circus that comes with him. The demands of a loud public that hasn't got the slightest idea why they are hindering his chances of getting a job in the NFL... which they typically misread and get louder, making it harder for him.

~Bang

Archived