Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

zoony

On 8/8/2017 at 10:03 AM, Bang said:

It's the same as tim Tebow..   the level of talent is simply not enough to accept the circus that comes with him. The demands of a loud public that hasn't got the slightest idea why they are hindering his chances of getting a job in the NFL... which they typically misread and get louder, making it harder for him.

~Bang

I think you are spot on about teams not wanting distractions, and to that extent Tebow works as a comparison.

But at the same time, Tebow is kind of a poor comparison - the real problem with Tebow was that he was horrible. I mean like really bad bad. If there were a Mendoza line in football, Tebow would be the foundation, with the rest of the bad players piled on top of him. If Tebow could play qb, he'd still be in the NFL. If he changed positions, ala Terrelle Pryor or Julian Edelman, he'd most likely still be in the NFL. But he wanted the fame associated with being an NFL QB. So he's out.

A more apt comparison would be Chris Kluwe, the former Viking punter who opened his mouth to opine about the rights of same-sex marriage/gay rights. He was basically dropped like a hot potato by the League. Very similar to the Kaepernick story, but since he's white, there were no racial overtones to drive the story on a national level for an extended period of time.

i do agree that Tebow just wasn't a good quarterback, and didn't have the tools to translate into  one.

That said, he's a phenomenal athlete, and i'd have to think there is a position he can transition to and have some value.

But that value is wrecked by the horde that comes with him.

frankly, i think the broncos had a good chance to do something IF he was going to be able to, and that would be let him stay after they brought in Peyton and learn for two years. But Elway apparently noticed there wasn't anything salvageable as a passer, and let him go. 

i hope the Mets call him up. 

~Bang

Just curious; if Colt goes down, would you be upset if Gruden and Matt Cavanaugh had him signed?

The reason I said Gruden and Cavanaugh is that it would imply the coachs think he could fit on the team.

Me upset? Nah.  Don't think he is a fit (for all the reasons previously listed), but I wouldn't be upset.

:229:The Rook

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

2. Commit to one-two hours during the NFL season to using the time you would have watching games to mentor young black boys and girls.

3. Spread the word to others.

4. “Take a knee” in prayer at 6 a.m. each morning.

Here's an idea...why not just do all this stuff in the first place?  

Sorry but he isn't worth the trouble. Yeah he is good enough to start for a few teams, but so what? So the jets sign him, maybe they win 4-5 games instead of 2. They will now have a circus around their 4 win team where issues like this are even worse when there is no winning to mask it. Plus, he shouldn't have opted out of his contract. The argument is he would have been cut but I'm not so sure. Would new coach Shanahan and new GM Lynch started out by throwing a match on a pile of tires soaked in gasoline? I'm not so sure and he would have needed to beat our Hoyer to be the starter. Plus, he saw what Kyle did for Griffin. 

If 95% of us went into work and started some sort of political protest, we would be asked to stop and/or fired. The owners have a right to hire/run their business anyway they want hiring/firing anyone they want within the rules. 49ners were 32nd in passing offense last year, he isn't worth the headache. I hope Kirk and Colt stay clean this preseason for an extra reason this year, the circus is in this town enough we not need the added will they sign Kap or not sideshow. Then all of a sudden we are talking about a mediocre player instead of actual football and the real issues on the team like lack of a rushing attack.

As for the NFL I want to watch the game to enjoy the game and feel a part of the Skins fan base made of every stripe of person know to the planet.  I don't want performers using these games as there political forum.  If they want to express an opinion about the state of the world they can do it on their own time and preferably not during the season.  If the owners can't keep this racial crap out of the game day experience then it is time for me to leave the league behind and focus on other things.

I am tired, so damn tired of all this racial stuff.  Fifty years ago when I was a child and a young teen the civil rights movement was in full swing and I watched it on tv and it looked like the problems were being dealt with and we would learn to all get along.  As a young adult things continued to improve so it seemed  the whole racial divide was fading into the past.  Now I'm 65 and things are worse then ever and I see the country tearing itself apart.  We seem to be cursed with tribal hatreds and if I was a young man I'd be thinking about moving to another country to start a life and raise a family.   

I can't envision a healing now because the animosity towards Europeans is so virulent and is so easily inflamed and manipulated by politicians.  I can't foresee a day when America gets beyond it anymore, I'd rather my family moved.  If my sons were interested in immigrating to Argentina, Australia or New Zealand now I would do it and be more confident that future generations of my European American family would be safe.  All three countries have high percentages of Europeans and Christians so a hospitable society for my family if my sons ever decide to move.

5 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

I can't envision a healing now because the animosity towards Europeans is so virulent and are so easily inflamed and manipulated by politicians.  I can't for see a day when I America gets beyond it anymore, I'd rather my family moved.  If my sons were interested in immigrating to Argentina, Australia or New Zealand now I would do it and be more confident that future generations of my European American family would be safe.  All three countries have high percentages of Europeans and Christians so a hospitable society for my family if my sons ever decide to move.

You do know that white supremacist are in those countries too, don't you?

Argenitinians 

http://www.migranttales.net/inspired-by-donald-trumps-racism-in-usamerica-argentinas-president-mauricio-macri-stokes-the-fires-of-xenophobia/

Australians

https://www.amnesty.org.au/is-australia-rasict/

New Zealanders

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/327034/auckland-uni-investigates-racist-posters

but then again... New Zealand has racial issues from every angle....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11776745

on a scale of 1-3 in terms of bad to good...

1. Australia 

2. Argentina 

3. New Zealand

But the POTUS is an inspiration to global racism.....

42 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

You do know that white supremacist are in those countries too, don't you?

Argenitinians 

http://www.migranttales.net/inspired-by-donald-trumps-racism-in-usamerica-argentinas-president-mauricio-macri-stokes-the-fires-of-xenophobia/

Australians

https://www.amnesty.org.au/is-australia-rasict/

New Zealanders

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/327034/auckland-uni-investigates-racist-posters

but then again... New Zealand has racial issues from every angle....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11776745

on a scale of 1-3 in terms of bad to good...

1. Australia 

2. Argentina 

3. New Zealand

But the POTUS is an inspiration to global racism.....

These other countries should look at what is going on in the US and take steps not to let their racial mix change to protect the safety and quality of life of their citizens.  

23 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Can we please talk about Colin Kaepernick *gag* and not politics in this thread?

Fair enough.  Correct me if I am wrong but didn't this guy opt out of his contract with the 49ers?  I haven't really followed his situation but I vaguely remember him opting out his agreement.  I don't have any sympathy for a guy who is mediocre and a pain in the ass.   I don't think there would be that much demand for his services even if he didn't come with baggage.  Why is is shocking that no franchise wants to divide its fan base over a backup QB?   People want to be united with the rest of the fans in their community not fight about racial stuff.  

If the NAACP succeeds in staging a boycott or work stoppage it would be fun to follow replacement players for a season.  I remember the NFL strike and the replacement players.  They were fun to watch so while I'd prefer the racial crap subsides and the season goes forward with the regular players I'm going to be intrigued if the players strike and we get a replacement player year, maybe the Skins can win...:-)  Maybe they can put together a OL that run blocks and DL that is effective against the other replacements.

I don't know what people are thinking by protesting out front of the NFL headquarters.  It's not like the NFL decided to shut him out of the league, as much as I don't care for Goodell I don't think he issued a mandate to all NFL teams to not sign Kaepernick.  He'd be incredibly stupid if he did.

All 32 NFL teams have passed on him.  All 32 NFL teams have decided that they have an equal or better starting QB and backup QB than him.  All 32 NFL teams have done the cost/benefit analysis to determine that the media ****storm and fan backlash isn't worth the trouble for what he brings to the table.  Imagine if you're a team no one really cares about....say, the Tennessee Titans.  You're not expected to be that great, you have a comparatively small fanbase to most teams.  There's hardly any national media coverage on your training camp and preaseason which maybe isn't ideal, as you'd like to be more popular on a national level.  And then you sign Kaepernick.  ESPN and all other sports networks descend on your camp.  Fans are pissed and boycott.  Sure, you might sell some jerseys but that's an afterthought.  All of a sudden you're thrust to the front and center of the NFL and not necessarily for something positive.  All because you had to give Kaep a shot instead of Matt Cassel as Mariota's backup?  No way.  Who'd sign up for it?

No one has said that he doesn't deserve free speech.  People have criticized his stance and they have every right to, just as he has every right to do what he did.  The lesson here shouldn't be about free speech.  The lesson here is that you should be ready to sacrifice things if you decide to really stand up for what you believe in.  You don't always get to have your cake and eat it too.

I will tip my hat to him.  Although I haven't paid 100% attention, I don't hear him crying about how he's been treated unfairly here.  Maybe he has, but i haven't seen it.  He stood up (no pun intended) for what he believed in and paid the price.  Anyone advising him had to have warned him that this could have been an outcome, but he did it anyway.  If he really believes in what he's doing - and it sounds like he does - then he should be at peace with his decisions and the outcome. 

The people that are lining up in front of NFL headquarters aren't living in reality.  The reality of the situation is telling them something different, something that doesn't fall in line with their pre-conceived notions on how the world should work. 

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

So I guess I'm the only one who saw the white supremacist tone in @Veryoldschool's post in this thread.

Yep, just you.

While he likes his football old school and his quarterbacks in the pocket, I've never thought he was racist.

As for Kaep, while he's probably better than many backup qbs out there, most teams no longer run an offense built around a mobile qb and he simply hasn't been good enough as a passer for any team to put up with all the attention, good and bad, they would get for signing him.  Michael Vick was a good enough player for a team to not care about the backlash, Colin Kaepernick simply is not.

On 8/24/2017 at 2:47 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yep, just you.

While he likes his football old school and his quarterbacks in the pocket, I've never thought he was racist.

As for Kaep, while he's probably better than many backup qbs out there, most teams no longer run an offense built around a mobile qb and he simply hasn't been good enough as a passer for any team to put up with all the attention, good and bad, they would get for signing him.  Michael Vick was a good enough player for a team to not care about the backlash, Colin Kaepernick simply is not.

I can't envision a healing now because the animosity towards Europeans is so virulent and is so easily inflamed and manipulated by politicians.  I can't foresee a day when America gets beyond it anymore, I'd rather my family moved.  If my sons were interested in immigrating to Argentina, Australia or New Zealand now I would do it and be more confident that future generations of my European American family would be safe.  All three countries have high percentages of Europeans and Christians so a hospitable society for my family if my sons ever decide to move.

If you think that passage was just some "old school" stuff, then you are probably part of the problem.

Post from elsewhere that I agree with.........

The league solved him, just like they did Chimp Kelly, so you have to look beyond the aggregate stats. He is a very bad QB. Thrown on top of all the weight/muscle he lost with his vegan diet and he's not a legit starter and not even close to it.

He went down this path to make himself the victim (Along with his wacko fing girlfriend, so it wasn't about his inability to play. He couldn't even beat out Blaine ****ing Gabbert...in an RPO offense built for guys like him.

On 8/24/2017 at 2:47 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yep, just you.

The point is, Vick still got a chance.  I dont see how Vick coming out of almost 2 yrs in a federal prison is better than Kap is now.  

There really isnt much of an argument that Kap isnt one of the top 32 QBs in the league.  

On 8/9/2017 at 1:50 PM, Pape said:

I think you are spot on about teams not wanting distractions, and to that extent Tebow works as a comparison.

But at the same time, Tebow is kind of a poor comparison - the real problem with Tebow was that he was horrible. I mean like really bad bad. If there were a Mendoza line in football, Tebow would be the foundation, with the rest of the bad players piled on top of him. If Tebow could play qb, he'd still be in the NFL. If he changed positions, ala Terrelle Pryor or Julian Edelman, he'd most likely still be in the NFL. But he wanted the fame associated with being an NFL QB. So he's out.

Tebow was more trouble than he was worth and a distraction and still got a shot in Denver.....then New York.....then New England....then Philadelphia.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

The point is, Vick still got a chance.  I dont see how Vick coming out of almost 2 yrs in a federal prison is better than Kap is now.  

There really isnt much of an argument that Kap isnt one of the top 32 QBs in the league.  

Vick got a chance because he was Michael Vick.  Kaep at no point ever was Vick status.  Also, Is he worth adjusting an entire offense for? Because that's what's required for him to remotely have success.  Add to that the media attention his presence will bring.  I think the big deal being made about him not having a job over the entire offseason has only been to his detriment.

Archived