Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

zoony

3 hours ago, DC9 said:

I'm being obtuse and you're without semantics...

You don't know what you are debating at this point. And you mad.

3 hours ago, DC9 said:

Speaking of obtuse, do you know when and why the Star Spangled Banner started being played before each game?

Do you know where the melody of the song comes from?

Or do you know what Key's views were on African American's? Slavery?

Kap a real one and you mad.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/8/27/12672566/nfl-statement-colin-kaepernick-national-anthem

NFL issues statement on Colin Kaepernick not standing during National Anthem

"Players are encouraged but not required to stand during the playing of the National Anthem."

*Click Link For More* 

The 49ers issued a statement to Pro Football Talk when the story first broke, and they too recognized his right to express himself:

The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pre-game ceremony. It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens. In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose to participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem.

9 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

You don't know what you are debating at this point. And you mad.

Or do you know what Key's views were on African American's? Slavery?

Kap a real one and you mad.

And there's the attack when the facts win.

Next!

I got "you mad" twice... one more for the week and I get my t-shirt.

4 minutes ago, DC9 said:

And there's the attack when the facts win.

Next!

I got "you mad" twice... one more for the week and I get my t-shirt.

Facts? You are being obtuse and then went on a weird rabbit hole because YOU DONT understand semantics and are continuing to go down that road.

Not surprised tho. That's what those who like their heads being in the sand usually do. It's the story of America where only minorities are supposed to confront race and only on the terms of "moderate" white people like many in this thread. Party on and stay mad.

Kap real.

2 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Facts? You are being obtuse and then went on a weird rabbit hole because YOU DONT understand semantics and are continuing to go down that road.

Not surprised tho. That's what those who like their heads being in the sand usually do. Party on and stay mad.

So go back to my last question that you didn't answer after you said the Star Spangled Banner was not a great tradition and let's pick it back up.

And Kaep is a real idiot.  That's about it.  I'm not mad about it at all.  I'll get more snaps on the office flag football team this year than he will the rest of his career :ols:

46 minutes ago, DC9 said:

What makes you think he had a preconceived notion about Kaep?

I think the post yours below you answered pretty well

17 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

:ols: I've always thought that was one of the bigger moments of irony in my lifetime when i read about that

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I think the post yours below you answered pretty well

I don't see anything untoward about that.  What am I missing that shows he had a preconceived notion?  He could just be really pissed about him not standing up.

38 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm surprised the NFL isn't taking action in this.  He was in uniform on the sidelines at the beginning of an NFL game.  He was AT WORK.  Imagine if the greeter at Walmart used his position to make a political statement when you walked in the store.  Walmart would probably take issue with it.  

Make statements on your own time, not company time.  At least I'm surprised NFL didn't say that to him.

Yeah, that's not something the NFL needs to concern itself with.  He has that right as an American. 

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

Okay...

Can you give me a little more help than that?

12 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Not surprised tho. That's what those who like their heads being in the sand usually do. It's the story of America where only minorities are supposed to confront race and only on the terms of "moderate" white people like many in this thread. Party on and stay mad.

The Star Spangled Banner?  It's the national anthem of the United States of America.  Where we have the Bill of Rights that allows us to not show support for those men and women who fight for those freedoms by sitting through it at the start of a football game.  And that's absolutely fine and I respect him exercising that right.  What I do question, and what I think most who agree with me in this thread question, is how exactly it's assisting the cause he is trying to bring light to.

Sure, we're in here talking.  But we can't even get past basic concessions and SEMANTICS at this point.

Independent Journal Review decided to see what veterans think about Kaepernick’s comments. We talked to Dorian Majied, an Army Ranger veteran who served in Iraq.

http://truthfeed.com/army-ranger-destroys-colin-kaepernick-for-disgracefully-sitting-out-the-national-anthem/19828/

Image Credit: Dorian Majied/Independent Journal Review

Image Credit: Dorian Majied/Independent Journal Review

He said:

“I understand Kaepernick’s intention, however I disagree with his means. His NBA counterparts protested the same ideas in a way that neither hurt the country, nor ignored the ideals that people of color have fought and died which; ideals represented by the symbolism of the American Flag and words of the National Anthem.

As a member of a national organization, reaping the benefits of a country that apparently oppresses people who look like him, his argument is thin on a personal level.

Doing what Dwayne Wade and company did at a game opener to support BLM, or making a public verbal statement as Carmelo Anthony did, or even a written statement as Michael Jordan did are all more appropriate acts of protest.

He could write his congressman, he could petition, he could picket, he could join the service and actually fight for the rights he seems to think are not offered to him; his sitting through the National Anthem was a lazy lack of will and brain power.”

Maybe he's being a little harsh though.  I'm not sure what Kap's working with.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2016/08/28/colin-kaepernick-anthem-protest-much-much/

Now I think people are really talking about it, having conversations about how to make change, what’s really going on in this country and we can move forward.

-Q: Are you concerned that this is seen as a blanket indictment of law enforcement?

-KAEPERNICK: What’s that?

-Q: It can be seen as a blanket indictment of law enforcement.

-KAEPERNICK: As far as what? I don’t really understand what you’re trying to get at.

-Q: You say people are getting murdered by police. You seem to indict all of police.

-KAEPERNICK: There is police brutality. People of color have been targeted by police. So that’s a large part of it. And their government officials. They’re put in place by the government so that’s something that this country has to change.

34 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

I disagree. Kaep didn't do anything near as bad as Isaiah Crowell and the league didn't punish him. They shouldn't try to set some silly precedent by punishing Kaep. 

I thought the NFLs main job now was setting silly precedents. :silly:

10 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Yeah, that's not something the NFL needs to concern itself with.  He has that right as an American. 

A lot of rights stop when you walk into work.  And not saying they SHOULD do something, saying I'm surprised they didn't.

10 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Can you give me a little more help than that?

I explained why I found him bringing up Kaeps past actions, calling him a moron based on a past action, then using his opinion of him as a moron as a reason why "people get angry when morons speak up", when the issue he is speaking up on has more merit and reason behind it than a stupid hat (whuch formed his opinion of him already).

You want to know what the secrets were within the puzzle box, Kirsty, and I gave you the key. You wanted to know why I thought he held a preconceived notion about Kaep. His own post explained why. Because he put on the wrong teams hat

If you need anymore help, then im going to go ahead and assume you are playing games, which is not a good path to take 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I explained why I found him bringing up Kaeps past actions, calling him a moron based on a past action, then using his opinion of him as a moron as a reason why "people get angry when morons speak up", when the issue he is speaking up on has more merit and reason behind it than a stupid hat (whuch formed his opinion of him already).

You want to know what the secrets were within the puzzle box, Kirsty, and I gave you the key. You wanted to know why I thought he held a preconceived notion about Kaep. His own post explained why. Because he put on the wrong teams hat

If you need anymore help, then im going to go ahead and assume you are playing games, which is not a good path to take

I may need some help understanding how it's wrong of him to bring up Kaep doing something else that was dumb in a conversation about what he believes to be another dumb act by the same man.  What's wrong with that.  Most people would call that establishing a pattern.  Albeit you are right about the severity, the lacking thought process is still there, for me.

He's also said that Kaep should not be punished (and since then the League has said the same).  I don't disagree with any of those points. 

I don't understand how any of them are bad.  Do we not bring up past good and bad points about a player when we sign them?  Is that now off limits or something?

6 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I may need some help understanding how it's wrong of him to bring up Kaep doing something else that was dumb in a conversation about what he believes to be another dumb act by the same man.  What's wrong with that.  Most people would call that establishing a pattern.  Albeit you are right about the severity, the lacking thought process is still there, for me.

Its cool. At the end of the day, we're all Redskins fans.

7 hours ago, No Excuses said:

At NASCAR races the confederate flag flies proudly. No one gives a flying ****. Even though on the totem pole of all things disrespectful to the country, the flag of slavery loving traitors is easily #1. But yeah this a story.

I'm against the flying of the confederate flag.    But where is it flown at NASCAR races that is actually sponsored by NASCAR?  I'm just simply asking because, while I've never attended an actual NASCAR race, I've tailgated a ton of them, in Concord, NC, and never seen the confederate flag being flown (by NASCAR - I've seen idiots fly them, but those morons don't count, imo).  So again, I'm simply asking.  

Edit:  But back to the original post, Kap is an American and entitled to his opinion.  And he is 100% right, minorities are still oppressed in this country and it needs attention and action.

7 hours ago, No Excuses said:

I'm not surprised at the flack he's receiving. Every single time prominent minorities, regardless of their profession, take a stand on social issues, they are shouted down. Pretty much all the token arguments against them have been made here already:

:rolleyes:

Yup, white athletes/stars are immune to criticism when they do things like this

20 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Freedom of speech is freedom of speech.  If Kap can sit during the anthem, those rednecks can fly their flags. Can't have it both ways.  

Now we do have the right to complain about that person.  I'll let you decide which person I mean.

Yeah, but the confederate flag is a known symbol of racism.  You cannot justify that it is anything other, imo.  I'm for Kap taking a stand, it's his right.  And the message he is trying to get across is that blacks/minorities are still being oppressed and you can't say they aren't.  

1 minute ago, KLJ said:

the guy is a moron but more importantly, he is a horrible quarterback.  he'll be out of the league in 2 years and will be an afterthought.  

He's not a moron for standing up for what he believes in.  And that is the oppression of blacks/minorities in the USA.  It is still happening, every day.  Did he go about protesting it like you or others thought he should?  Maybe not, but he took a stand, the way he thought was right and it's HIS right the way he did.  

Just now, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

He's not a moron for standing up for what he believes in.  And that is the oppression of blacks/minorities in the USA.  It is still happening, every day.  Did he go about protesting it like you or others thought he should?  Maybe not, but he took a stand, the way he thought was right and it's HIS right the way he did.  

of course it's his right..  he's still a moron

Archived