Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Colin Kaepernick protests anthem due to treatment of minorities

zoony

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Yeah, but the confederate flag is a known symbol of racism.  You cannot justify that it is anything other, imo.  I'm for Kap taking a stand, it's his right.  And the message he is trying to get across is that blacks/minorities are still being oppressed and you can't say they aren't.  

Doesn't change the point about freedom of speech.

5 hours ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

As far as 1). Well, I rarely hear stories of cops shooting people that don't bring it on themselves. And that answers 2) as well. 

Bottom line, if you follow instructions, and don't try and attack or kill a cop, you're not likely to be shot. You can't cry foul when you are shot, if you brought it on yourself. And we have learned that these things happened in many of these cases.

And you keep going with that 5 times more likely to be shot thing. Again, that proves NOTHING if you can't tell me if those shootings weren't justified or not (that kind of matters, ya know).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/

There's a snipit, notice how many are unarmed with mental health issues, regardless of race.  You think all of these situations justified the individual being shot to death?  

7 hours ago, DC9 said:

"Culture" takes all of those into account, which is why he said it the way he said it.  His delivery was certainly a bit aggressive, but bang on.

I've been on both sides of this debate depending on the particular incident we're talking about.  And at the end of the day it simply boils down to compliance and respect for one another.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/culture

There's nothing about our culture that celebrates low graduation rates.  I agree there are more then enough videos that show people that I wish would just sit the ****.  Does that mean they deserve to die?

Our police are too quick to use deadly force, and we need to change our approach to these situations.  The system is supposed to be law enforcement and rehabilitation.  For many that's not the perception nor the reality.

Fatherless homes, rampant drug use and illegal activity due to drug use and unemployment are some of the main factors leading to the issues that plague these communities. Illegal activity on a regular basis and lots of free time leads to the strain in relationship between the police and these communities - specifically I am aware of the issues not far from me here in St. Louis. But I know Baltimore to share the same issues. That's in the data, it's not opinion, I also have experience in working with open data and specifically related to policing data. There are huge initiatives in place to improve policing, data, video cameras, policy... I don't think the US is sitting by and saying there isn't room for improvement. 

That's no denying that there's an issue of race in policing - there is,but be honest... it probably doesn't take long before the police start to dislike and distrust the people they are serving in these communities. BLM loses so much credibility to me when they say these incidents happened to innocent people minding their business. - that has proven to be wrong, Michael brown was supposedly just a big friendly teddy bear with his hands up... All not true. 

it's sad that we're here but it's also not just blind racism by cops. - there are serious root issues. The ones I listed above, rampant poverty with no real options for improving the cycle, why aren't we focused on fixing those issues? Why isn't a man like Cap spending his time, influence and money on helping people find jobs and create training programs? In Ferguson 90%+ of the impoverished families are fatherless homes, that's a real ****ing problem. Spend your time talent and treasure on fixing that! Sitting during the national anthem is a chicken **** way to disrespect those that serve and is an ineffective way to fix a real problem. Fix the root issues and we'll make real progress. 

5 hours ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Worse is one who turns a blind eye to injustice. Especially your own people....thinking "I've made it so it doesn't effect me".

And to say the U.S.A is one of the least racist countries in the world has to be the strangest thing I've heard in  a long time.

You obviously don't travel much.

Kaepernick's statement didn't help the cause, it only justifies more violence and anger towards police.  To act like the issues in the black community are all because they're being oppressed is wrong and divisive.  I know Kaepernick didn't say that, but should have made it clear because it's part of the same story. 

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/culture

There's nothing about our culture that celebrates low graduation rates.  I agree there are more then enough videos that show people that I wish would just sit the ****.  Does that mean they deserve to die?

Our police are too quick to use deadly force, and we need to change our approach to these situations.  The system is supposed to be law enforcement and rehabilitation.  For many that's not the perception nor the reality.

I agree with everything you said.  And no, as I've said many times in the individual threads, just cause you "can" use deadly force doesn't mean you "should" use deadly force.  I train my Soldiers the same way.  The threat is just as neutralized if you secure them and remove them from the situation as they would be if you were to kill (momentarily at least) but you also gain immediate intel and scrutiny of the process/good will from the community you are operating in.

I think Inigo hit on most of the points I meant by culture. 

9 hours ago, nonniey said:

You obviously don't travel much.

I do...racism in some form is rampant in almost every country I've been to. What I habe noticed is that in this country its looked down upon...in many of the others I have been to....not so much.

The 3rd verse of the anthem is actually celebrating the death of freed slaves. Nobody really knows there's a 3rd verse (and 4th) because somewhere along the line, they quietly faded away and never get sung.  It just stops at "home of the brave", but that's not the end.

12 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The 3rd verse of the anthem is actually celebrating the death of freed slaves. Nobody really knows there's a 3rd verse (and 4th) because somewhere along the line, they quietly faded away and never get sung.  It just stops at "home of the brave", but that's not the end.

If it celebrates the death of slaves (which im not sure it does after reading it) then it also celebrates the death of the hirelings...which are people of any race...

Those poor forgotten hirelings...

23 minutes ago, Xameil said:

If it celebrates the death of slaves (which im not sure it does after reading it) then it also celebrates the death of the hirelings...which are people of any race...

Those poor forgotten hirelings...

It would require understanding of the historical context in which it was written and the person that wrote it.  There's no other meaning or interpretation.

Francis Scott Key was pretty pro-slavery, anti-black, and anti abolitionist, so it's not a stretch to reason that the song he wrote and that we act like includes everyone, was never intended to include an entire segment of the population. 

The Star-Spangled Banner is as much a patriotic song as it is a diss track to black people who had the audacity to fight for their freedom.

Just reread it again. I respectfully disagree. He may have been all that, but, I do not find one part of that song that specifically disses blacks...because if you take the one part that you are saying is a diss towards blacks, then he is also dissing hirelings. Which I will state again, can be any race.

I take it you have issues with the Wizard of Oz as well.

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

I dont give a crap about the Wizard of Oz, so I cant comment on that.  But we can agree to disagree on the question at hand.

But bringing it back to Kap, it'll be interesting to see how long he is available, if he ultimately gets cut, which is rumored.

Considering he's not very good anymore, who would be willing to put up with him doing this every Sunday? It would be a PR nightmare for any team that signs him. 

12 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Considering he's not very good anymore, who would be willing to put up with him doing this every Sunday? It would be a PR nightmare for any team that signs him. 

We say that about a lot of people that still wind up finding jobs.  It only takes one team.  It's not like he's a dime a dozen RB, he's still at least one of the top 32 QBs in the league.  He'd be the best QB on the Denver roster right now.  I mean, Trevor Simien, really?

And it's about as silent a protest as you can make.  He literally just sits there for 2 minutes.

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

We say that about a lot of people that still wind up finding jobs.  It only takes one team.  It's not like he's a dime a dozen RB, he's still at least one of the top 32 QBs in the league.  He'd be the best QB on the Denver roster right now.  I mean, Trevor Simien, really?

And it's about as silent a protest as you can make.  He literally just sits there for 2 minutes.

He can't beat out Blaine Gabbert in a system that was basically built for his skill set. What do you honestly think he offers that is worth another team putting up with this headache each and every weekend?  

10 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

He can't beat out Blaine Gabbert in a system that was basically built for his skill set. What do you honestly think he offers that is worth another team putting up with this headache each and every weekend?  

He hadnt been practicing for much of the offseason and camp. You cant beat out a guy if you're not practicing or playing. Gabbert got the job by default really.

It's really less of a headache than it should be.  If the man wants to sit quietly on the bench, let him sit.    

Archived