Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

Jace Amaro - TE - Jets

The New York Post’s Brian Costello believes Jets TE Jace Amaro is on the roster bubble.

The 2014 second-round pick struggled as a rookie before missing all of last season with a shoulder injury. He reportedly showed well during the offseason program and early in camp, but he has really fallen off as of late. Never a great fit as a "traditional" tight end and seemingly not a favorite of the coaching staff, Amaro could probably use a fresh start.

Yes, I would. But I don't know who I would cut. Definitely Paulson, and maybe Paul.

Paulsen should be gone. Id much rather have Paul over him 

Id move Sudfeld to the PS. To many valuable guys I don't want to cut to carry 3 QBs. 

I'd consider cutting Ross. His biggest asset, kick returning is less important than ever now with the new rule. Id be fine if we took a touchback every single kickoff and took the ball on the 25. I mean unless the ball lands on the 5 I don't want Ross returning kicks anyway. Odds are he won't make it to 25, he will fumble or we will get a penalty. So his value has lessened to me

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

When do we have to get to 53?

@ct skins I agreed with everything except your take on Ionidias and Murphy. Murphy is slipping back into solid OLB depth and he has his worth there and Ionidias has looked pretty solid eating blockers.

Have to agree, especially about Ioannidis. He is probably going to the PS. Murphy provides some much needed depth with Gallette out for the season again. Not sure who is a better option right now.

19 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Paulsen should be gone. Id much rather have Paul over him 

Id move Sudfeld to the PS. To many valuable guys I don't want to cut to carry 3 QBs. 

I'd consider cutting Ross. His biggest asset, kick returning is less important than ever now with the new rule. Id be fine if we took a touchback every single kickoff and took the ball on the 25. I mean unless the ball lands on the 5 I don't want Ross returning kicks anyway. Odds are he won't make it to 25, he will fumble or we will get a penalty. So his value has lessened to me

He wasn't good at all with punt returns last night. I was unimpressed.

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Have to agree, especially about Ioannidis. He is probably going to the PS. Murphy provides some much needed depth with Gallette out for the season again. Not sure who is a better option right now.

It would be ideal if we could sneak Ioannidis on the PS. I just don't think 31 other GMs will let a 5th round Scot McCloughan draft pick make it there.

In regard to Murphy, he was 1b on my cut list behind Perry Riley. At this point, Trail has shown exponentially more disruptive and Special Teams ability, so he gets one of the backup jobs. The other spot is between Murphy/Bates/Wakefield. I understand, Murphy's been here two years, he was a 2nd round pick, we had moderately high expectations for him. Unfortunately, it was a big swing and a miss and now we need to own up to our mistake and cut the anchor. 

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

In a tropical storm.

I'm not a fan of excuses, but "in a tropical storm" is a pretty good one.

I hear you - I'd give it more of a pass if he was dropping balls and/or slipping on runs but that didn't appear to be the case.

He just didn't seem to have good field vision on his returns. I don't think that's due to the weather.

6 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Ioannidis is not going anywhere. The guy has played well in preseason. He has done what he was told to do. His job is not to make headlines and get his number called. It's to eat up space to free up the other guys. He is still a rookie and needs some work, but it's way too early to just give up on him.

Then he can go to the PS, because every DL still on the team has done all that and he's been the least impactful.  About the only guy he';s ahead of is Crawford.  He hasn't beaten Golston, RJF, Reyes, or Hood.  Baker is obviously staying, Jenkins wasn't brought in for three days and Lanier is doing better than Ionnadis, and the Skins aren't keeping eight DL

4 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

You have to think Everett earned a roster spot this preseason. I just cant see him making through to the practice squad this year. Mack Brown earned a spot as well. Keeping 4 RB's is going to make it difficult to keep Paulsen. And I have no idea what position is going to be shorted to keep an extra safety. Some interesting cuts coming up for sure.

I don't think Everett is PS eligible as much as he played last year

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Could this finally be the year we see Golston get cut? With Ionnidis showing some ability possibly....what the hell am I talking about? Golston still has 4 of his 9 lives left. 

Doubtful.

Golston was one of the players who were considered starters that didn't travel down to Tampa last night.

His position is secure for this year.

37 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Could this finally be the year we see Golston get cut? With Ionnidis showing some ability possibly....what the hell am I talking about? Golston still has 4 of his 9 lives left. 

Was just wondering that (though I'd never bet on him being cut).  You'd think the youth of Lanier and Ioannidas (and the possibility they don't make it to the PS) would be enough of an advantage to stick,particularly considering how old the rest of the DL is.  If they keep both though, you almost have to drop one of Golston/Hood/Reyes/Jenkins...

The more I think about it, the more I think Dunbar sticks.  Rough preseason for sure, but he's the same guy that kept clobbering returners last year right when the ball reached them.  Unfortunately, he also got flagged, but still, I believe he can play ST (and make a difference).

Edit:  N/M, I have no earthly idea what they'll do.  Keeping just 5 corners and 5 safeties might make more sense since Everett has shown more, and Blackmon can fill in in a pinch at corner (and Carrington or whoever can be called up from PS).  Outside of Baker and RJF, I'm not sure anyone is safe on the DL.  Heck, Lanier might even be next safest due play/age.

Tough cuts this year, gonna suck seeing some of these guys go.

I think Reyes is gone, Dunbar sticks because he's got game experience, although Everett showed REALLY well. Paulson will lose his spot to one of the new runners, I think both the youngsters stay. Although if by some chance one gets released it will be Brown.

Watching the game last night they looked like a great 1-2 punch. Both strong runners, good vision, always fall forward, set up second level blocks well, both carry the ball high and tight, in a flippin storm no less, and NO fumbles, no botched handoffs with a rookie qb, nothing.

If either of these guys can catch out of the backfield I'm thinking down the road these guys may be the 1-2 we all envisioned with Jones and Thompson. It would be a great thing because they're such strong runners, there'd be no letup from one to the next.

Everyone has had Reyes as the starting DE opposite Baker as if he's a lock.  I'd rather keep Lanier and think with Cullen and Hood we are good on the interior DL.  I think we should keep Everett as he was sticking everyone last night.  Phillips or Dumbar are probably out as Toler and Fuller should be making it.

Should be interesting.  We've had some tall ass OLBs and DEs this offseason with a few over 6'5.  They were some interesting candidates for the PS hopefully.

I'm a huge Lanier fan, interviewed him both weeks I was covering the game for ES, and began to notice him immediately after the Falcons game and made him a focus of mine in the blogs before many in the local media started taking notice... 

But I have to say, he's quite far from contributing to this team, really. He disappeared for long stretches the last couple games and made most of his plays late when it was the weakest of personnel on the opposite side. 

His biggest weakness right now is his size, if a guy squares up on him and gets his hands on him he's pretty much nullified. He can overcome that with technique, but he's just not consistent enough with it yet. 

His other weakness, and he actually spoke about this with me, was his struggle with play action. You could see what he means, he's often not sure of the play so he just kind of wanders. 

But when he knows he's straight up pass rushing, dude has great talent. I love the way he slides through Olinemen, penetrating the gap quickly and overwhelming them. 

I think we can get him on the PS. I really hope so. I'm not sure I want him taking a roster spot at this point, though, even though he was one of my favorite preseason players. 

Just now, Master Blaster said:

I love how people who were kept home as "starters" are now being discussed as potential cuts. 

I said it in the game day thread, but it was subtle... Josh LeRibeus looked like Russ Grimm last night.

That should tell you all you need to know.  A lot of good efforts, and I still think Mack Brown made the team if you hold a gun to my head... but let's be real here :ols:

5 hours ago, ncr2h said:

I would hate to cut Dunbar or Everett with guys like Sudfeld, Paulsen, and Ross making the final 53.  I feel like the talent level at the fringes of our roster is a lot stronger on defense than it is on offense.

I agree that there is a lot more talent on defense, or at least potential, as far as the fringe of the roster goes... but Ross is much better at what he does than Everett.  About the only thing Everett has going for him right now is that he plays a decent special teams.  He hasn't been a great defensive back in my opinion.  Hot and cold last year, but he's nothing irreplaceable.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It was a meaningless game and stoopid.

Everyone is an all star. :806:

What last night was, in full force... was a demonstration of our depth against an inferior GM's depth.

Last night was an example of a bunch of teammates who are buying into a program and wanting to be a part of winning, against a bad team that nobody is playing with any heart.

Those guys played like a 4-12 team on week 17, going against a division champion.

We're going to be good for a while.

Man, our defense was nasty. Gang tackling, fully pursuing on every down, aggressive and smart. Fun to watch.

When you have a backup QB who some call a top backup QB in this league you don't keep a third QB on the active roster generally. 

Cousins is 28 years old

McCoy is 29 years old

These aren't guys set to retire anytime soon and I don't think that Sufeld looked bad in preseason but is he worth a roster spot on the 53 as a developmental guy? No not to me.  I doubt anyone picked him off our practice squad I just don't think he is ready to be a teams primary backup QB in this league yet. So keeping him on the 53 doesn't make sense imo

Archived