Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

GOP Gov. Defends Law Forcing Incest Victims to Carry Pregnancy to Term, Won’t Rule Out Criminalizing IUDs

“Why is it acceptable in your state to force girls who are victims of incest to carry those children to term?” CNN’s Jake Tapper asked Mississippi Governor Tate Reeves, whose state has a trigger law set to ban abortion immediately if the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade. That law, also called a “snapback law,” does not include an exception allowing victims of incest to access abortion care. The only exceptions in the law are for cases of rape and when the life of the mother is in danger.

When asked on Sunday whether Mississippi would enforce the snapback law if Roe is overturned — which looks increasingly likely thanks to a leaked draft opinion — Reeves told Tapper he would. “Yes, Mississippi does have a trigger law in place,” Reeves said. “It was passed in 2007, and that trigger law will go into effect” if Roe is overturned. Pro-choice governor Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in Michigan, on the other hand, has gone to court in an attempt to prevent the state’s trigger law from going into effect if the Supreme Court nullifies Roe.

When Tapper asked Reeves to “explain why” there are no exceptions in Mississippi’s trigger law, the Republican governor glibly replied, “Well, that’s gonna be the law because in 2007 the Mississippi legislature passed it.”

Reeves defended not having an exception for incest written into the 2007 legislation. “When you look at the number of [abortions] that actually involve incest, it’s less than 1 percent,” he said.

But Tapper pressed Reeves further on the lack of exceptions in the state’s law. “Let me ask you, what about a fetus that has serious or fatal abnormalities that will not allow that fetus to live outside the womb? Is the state of Mississippi going to force those girls and women who have this tragedy inside them to carry the child to term? Are you going to force them to do that?”

Reeves continued to duck the pointed questions, again falling back on the argument that only a “very small” percent of abortions would be affected by the lack of exceptions, as if that somehow erases the problem created by the law or minimizes the potential trauma women would experience.

Later, Tapper asked Reeves if his state would “target IUDs or Plan B,” which are forms of contraceptives. Again, Reeves dodged the question while refusing to close the door on a possible contraception ban. “That is not what we’re focused on at this time,” he said. “We’re focused on… what the court allows for. The bill that is before the court is a 15-week ban. We believe that the overturning of Roe is the correct decision by the court.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1

The idea of this being something that helps the Dems in 2022 came up before.

FSOX56kUYAIRsdr?format=jpg&name=large

Compared to the last CNN poll, the GOP is actually pulled further ahead, and it is in line with previous polls.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/2022-generic-congressional-vote-7361.html#!

Yes most people want abortion to be accessible, but there aren't enough people that it is going to change the vote of for it to matter too much (though I think going against general conception will be a step too far and you'd see that influence votes).

Edited by PeterMP

2 hours ago, PeterMP said:

The idea of this being something that helps the Dems in 2022 came up before.

FSOX56kUYAIRsdr?format=jpg&name=large

Compared to the last CNN poll, the GOP is actually pulled further ahead, and it is in line with previous polls.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/2022-generic-congressional-vote-7361.html#!

Yes most people want abortion to be accessible, but there aren't enough people that it is going to change the vote of for it to matter too much (though I think going against general conception will be a step too far and you'd see that influence votes).

It’s not really going mean that much in 22.

Maybe 24/26 and beyond; after living under the extreme conditions post Roe. Especially if white women are jailed and executed.

16 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Maybe 24/26 and beyond; after living under the extreme conditions post Roe. Especially if white women are jailed and executed.

Like you think it's going to be enforced equally.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

😂 I just can’t help but think about how lame these people are and how boring and ****ty a life one must live to think we should get rid of birth control 😂 

these are the same people that think we shouldn’t teach kids about sex, but instead preach abstinence 😂 

what losers 😂 

the party of freedom and limited government 😂 😆 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Larry said:

Like you think it's going to be enforced equally.  

It’s not but if a bunch of white women suffer the same fate.

I think the dark era will last at least a decade because a whole bunch of rights will have to be taken away first before enough people have had a enough.

10 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

It’s not but if a bunch of white women suffer the same fate.

I think the dark era will last at least a decade because a whole bunch of rights will have to be taken away first before enough people have had a enough.

Yeah, like they’re going to wield power for a decade and just *give it back*.

Wake the **** up.

Might not take a decade for people to start remembering they like sex and contraception. There is an old saying about never underestimating the stupidity of...

However, there is a saying which is probably older, "Sex sells."  How long before the Dems proudly take the mantle of the next sexual revolution?

Yeah I think something to look out for is how living in a world where sex ed & birth control have been the norm (mostly) for a long time now skews the psyche of how bad it would be to go backwards.  Sometimes living in a world of such convenience might make "dystopia" seem way too far off and unrealistic which is why some of these rights being taken away possibly won't see the huge backlash right away, and instead some years down the line when the effects start touching more people besides those in the deep south bible belt.  

Not even trying to be dramatic but they are literally installing a Christian authoritarian national government as we speak.  They have SCOTUS already.  Senate and house likely soon. If they get the White House in 2024, it’s going to be a full on assault on human rights. They will pass more aggressive voter suppression laws and gerrymandered maps.  They will entrench themselves into those positions and if Dems somehow wrestle back an election, they will just claim fraud and overturn whatever results they have to in order to stay in power.  The only boundary is the amount of power they have at any particular moment and eventually, that boundary won’t exist anymore because they will have all the power.

This is not an extreme take.  It’s happening right before our eyes in real time.

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

I don’t think he’s saying they’ll just give it back…

I elaborated my point 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Yeah even if Dems win the senate for a couple years it won’t change and will only get worse with demographic shifts. Dems will never have 55 senators again in my lifetime imo barring a political revolution that I can’t even imagine right now. republicans will wind up with a super majority in the senate by 2035

dems had 2 years to save the country but everybody wasn’t on board to do what needed to be done and Biden wasn’t the guy for that fight. 

1 hour ago, 86 Snyder said:
1 hour ago, tshile said:

I elaborated my point 

Right. My point is you’re telling someone to “wake the **** up” when they’ve been calling for this for years.

he wasn’t saying they’ll just give it back. 

11 minutes ago, tshile said:

Right. My point is you’re telling someone to “wake the **** up” when they’ve been calling for this for years.

he wasn’t saying they’ll just give it back. 

Yeah that was an overly harsh statement on my part.  Was all fired up after my morning doom scroll.  My bad @88Comrade2000

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Virginia attorney general decries vandalism at Manassas pro-life clinic, to monitor probe

Virginia Attorney General Jason Miyares on Monday decried vandalism at the Life First pregnancy resource center in Manassas, Virginia.

Slogans of “Fake Clinic,” “Liars” and “Abortion Is A Right” were painted on walls and doors at the group’s office building. Workers discovered the vandalism Monday morning.

The damage comes in the wake of a weekend of nationwide protests against pro-life groups over the Supreme Court’s leaked draft ruling that would overturn Roe v. Wade. On Sunday, the Wisconsin Family Action’s offices in Madison were firebombed and vandalized with pro-abortion graffiti.

“It’s unfortunate that this charity has been targeted,” Mr. Miyares, a Republican, told The Washington Times in a statement. “It is never acceptable to resort to intimidation, vandalism, or destruction in our political discourse. This is what makes America so unique – we should embrace diversity of opinion and civil dialogue and debate.”

A source in Mr. Miyares’s office said he is monitoring the investigation “very closely.”

Manassas City Police responded to a call from Life First and investigated Monday, said Becky Sheetz, the group’s chief executive officer, in a telephone interview.

“They were right here immediately,” Ms. Sheetz said. “They came out and they took a look. And they walked around with us in the office and sat in our conference room and listened to our concerns.”

A Manassas City Police spokesman said the department will “vigorously investigate” the vandalism, and that such reports are “taken seriously and all leads are followed up.”

Ms. Sheetz said the group has notified its branch office in Woodbridge, as well as the Prince William County Police Department, of the Manassas attack. She said there has been one bomb threat to Life First in her nearly five years with the group, and no other protests or vandalism.

She said she had “already forgiven” the vandals, and wished they “understood the work of pregnancy centers and our compassion and our love.”

Ms. Sheetz said, “One of the things that the person [painted] there was, ‘Liars.’ That’s the opposite of what we do. We provide all the information that [a woman] needs to make a fully informed choice and no matter what she does, we love her anyway.”

She working on manufacturing an excuse for her upcoming Party Switch?  

"It wasn't because I get more power and money this way. It's because of the terrorist threats by The Woke Mob who are threatening America."

• Confused 1