Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

Badly shaken?  Nothings happened yet!  I was expecting some truly massive demonstrations, and I suspect those are yet to come.  They’ve erased rights women fought long and hard to achieve and thought people would just thank them for their time?  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Destino said:

Badly shaken?  Nothings happened yet!  I was expecting some truly massive demonstrations, and I suspect those are yet to come.  They’ve erased rights women fought long and hard to achieve and thought people would just thank them for their time?  

Imagine a lifetime appointment for 350k a year. And you answer to no one. 

48 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Imagine a lifetime appointment for 350k a year. And you answer to no one. 

It sounds great, but I couldn’t be trusted with something like that.  The temptation to troll an entire nation is far too great.  

• Haha 3

The fact both pro-choice Women Republicans and even Manchin voted against tells me this was more a symbolic bill then actual attempt to negotiate.

Senate blocks bill to codify right to abortion; GOP, Manchin oppose measure 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/05/11/abortion-senate-vote/

The Senate on Wednesday failed to advance legislation that would write the constitutional right to abortion into federal law — a symbolic gesture that Democrats promise will be only a first step in a larger strategy to mobilize Americans around reproductive rights as the Supreme Court considers overturning Roe v. Wade and related decisions.

We are way past "symbolic gestures".

I get the cynicism towards this impacting how female Republicans vote in this midterms which is turning into a referendum on abortion, but it's clear the Democrats plan is mobilizing turnout of their own base to get more senators. 

But its going to take more then one election and please PLEASE stop with the symbolic gestures with the limited power you do have.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

The fact both pro-choice Women Republicans and even Manchin voted against tells me this was more a symbolic bill then actual attempt to negotiate.

I get the cynicism towards this impacting how female Republicans vote in this midterms which is turning into a referendum on abortion, but it's clear the Democrats plan is mobilizing turnout of their own base to get more senators. 

But its going to take more then one election and please PLEASE stop with the symbolic gestures with the limited power you do have.

Reid v McConnell was a worthy match-up.

Schumer is practice squad level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Destino said:

Perhaps they are aware that the people don't seem to want them in their positions anymore.  And that with lifetime appointments, the people have exactly one recourse.

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Abortion isn’t going to be the savior for Dems.

Inflation/Economy is what is driving this fall’s elections.

House is gone. At minimum gop wins 30 seats and wouldn’t shock me to see them surpass the 63 seats they won in 2010.

They have a chance in the Senate because the gop are nominating some unelectable people. 

Where the abortion battle and other rights that will be lost ; is the state level. The Dems need to focus on governorships and state legislatures. You want to fight the coming gop Christian Theocracy; you have to do it at the state level.

It will take more than one election to do this but you start now. If the Dems can control the governorship or least one branch of state government; they can stop any additional laws.

I don’t think they can win full control in one election.

I also believe abortion won’t be an deciding issue until people live under the restrictions and see what actually happens. The worst isn’t going to happen the 4-5 months before this election but after it.

It the the gop 50 years to do this; it’s going take the Dems probably a decade to be able to undo it and even then the courts are firmly in right wing hands.

• Thumb down 1

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

My understanding is (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) but the bill floated today was a broad expansion of abortion rights beyond what Roe and Casey said.  I think that was a mistake.  They should have started with a more bare-bones version that actually stopped at the Roe/Casey line.  Then they could try to expand further down the road if the votes are there.  I think they made a strategic mistake here.

11 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

My understanding is (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) but the bill floated today was a broad expansion of abortion rights beyond what Roe and Casey said.  I think that was a mistake.  They should have started with a more bare-bones version that actually stopped at the Roe/Casey line.  Then they could try to expand further down the road if the votes are there.  I think they made a strategic mistake here.

Been saying this since the beginning, and they still f'd it up.

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

It’s because Schumer is a weak ****. The Dems don’t know how to play the game to get what they want. The gop runs circles around them. 

When you have aged leadership from the presidency to speaker to majority leader; you don’t have what it takes to engage in the fight on every issue from 1/6 to abortion to voting rights to etc…

• Like 1

No.  It's because they don't want to play the game of month shifting and ending up with more restrictive national policy.  Some states allow abortions up to 9 months and I think all have a "health and safety of mother" type of clause. 

I too came in thinking "why not offer a compromise bill".  Codify Roe vs. Wade means codify it. 

Also, screw SCOTUS and people for getting mad about protests outside their houses. The opinion leaked... they are protesting a leaked opinion.  If the opinion came out, they could protest.  No one was protesting before the leak.

15 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Collins is not pro-choice despite what she says.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

There is not a chance in hell the GOP leaves abortion up to the states. 

The GOP would love to leave it up to the states because the country leans pro-choice and its not a good national issue for them.  On the state level, they can run on abortion in states where the population is more favorable to their position and not push the issue in states where it will hurt them.  But nationally almost 60% of the population leans pro-choice so its a losing issue for them.

However, I don't think their base will let them just leave it up to the states.   In some ways the ideal scenario for them is after 2024 they have the Presidency and both houses of Congress and pass an abortion ban only to have the Supreme Court strike it down that abortion is an issue reserved for the states under the 10th Amendment.  Then they can appease their base but not have to run on a losing issue.

Edited by philibusters

15 minutes ago, philibusters said:

What are people's position on abortion.

I am probably in the compromise camp.  If I was dictator of the country I would probably legalize it through 15 weeks and then ban it thereafter except for some extraordinary circumstances.

For some people we should allow abortions 840 months post delivery.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1