Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Holtby' SV % in the playoffs right now. Holy **** 

he has to be better. He has to start making big saves 

He just played two great games against the Leafs and despite the save percentage, he made a lot of big saves tonight. Holtby is not the problem. As you said, score more than 2. I'll put it another way, the Caps have won 2 of 3 games despite only scoring 2 goals in each game. 

As a Caps fan, you should know it's not the number of shots but the number of high quality scoring chances.  

Yes they did. The only thing that concerns me is that the Caps have played 7 games against the two worst defensive teams coming into the playoffs and they just can't put the goal in the back of the net. In regulation they have scored 2, 3, 3, 5, 1, 1, 2.  

I know the playoffs are a different animal, but gots to get it going. In regulation GF and GA are both 17. Meanwhile the Pens have 23 goals in regulation. 

13 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

We dominated every shot metric. 

They essentially beat us in about 59 seconds 

BTW, I partially blame you. You told us the Caps were 2-0 when you went to playoff games. As soon as you told us, it was a guaranteed loss ;)

The Ovechkin interference call was the LEAST interference play at the blue line all game. The Niskanen "slash" was swiping at a puck before the tender covered it. And then the refs let 4 Pens surround and rough Niskanen. The refs ignored blatant trips and cross checks on the Pens, a defender covering the puck in the slot (delay of game), and the mayhem where Shatty and Orpik HAD to come below the dots cause the linesmen just stood there while TE Pens took liberties 2 on 1. Inexcusable officiating. ****ing atrocious. 

• No disrespect to the penguins, I'm a firm believer that Pittsburgh beating them is a huge fluke and robs the Capitals of truly accomplishing what their capable of. I've spent the last few hours in pure disbelief and it just doesn't make sense to me. I've spent the entire regular season watching the Capitals play great hockey it's just not fair.

If the Capitals lose again I will face that the Pens deserved the win, but I am just 100% sure it was a fluke and does a big disservice to the Caps and the NHL.

8 hours ago, Patrick Evidente said:

The Capitals actually played pretty well in the third.

But they played like **** in the first and second. Sound familiar? 

It should. Because they skated by the leafs like this. You can do that against Toronto. Not Pittsburgh. 

17 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:
  • No disrespect to the penguins, I'm a firm believer that Pittsburgh beating them is a huge fluke and robs the Capitals of truly accomplishing what their capable of. I've spent the last few hours in pure disbelief and it just doesn't make sense to me. I've spent the entire regular season watching the Capitals play great hockey it's just not fair.

If the Capitals lose again I will face that the Pens deserved the win, but I am just 100% sure it was a fluke and does a big disservice to the Caps and the NHL.

The Penguins are one of the most talented teams in the NHL, but with TONS of big game experience. They are also the defending champs. They are what the Oilers want to be in 3-4 years.  Yes the Capitals are talented, but losing to the Penguins is not a fluke - for anybody.

40 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

The Ovechkin interference call was the LEAST interference play at the blue line all game. The Niskanen "slash" was swiping at a puck before the tender covered it. And then the refs let 4 Pens surround and rough Niskanen. The refs ignored blatant trips and cross checks on the Pens, a defender covering the puck in the slot (delay of game), and the mayhem where Shatty and Orpik HAD to come below the dots cause the linesmen just stood there while TE Pens took liberties 2 on 1. Inexcusable officiating. ****ing atrocious. 

This and I cannot stand this ****. I even called it before the playoffs we'd get at least a game with 0 power plays which is ****ing impossible in a playoff atmosphere. It happens ever year either against the rangers or Penguins. 

Orpik is too too slow for the Penguins. We have to play our top 2 pairings as much as possible. Backstrom didn't have a good game either which was disappointing. Holtby has to be elite, not just very good. Against the Penguins we can't do this crap. These guys know what it will take to beat these guys, need adjustments for game 2. I was thinking the first 4 games would each be a 1-1 split anyways. Our secondary scoring has dried up, **** all from the 3rd and 4th lines.

I'd like to see them win tomorrow night.  I'd hate to be down 0-2 going up to Pittsburgh.

I only got to watch the first two periods (had my own hockey game I had to get to) but it looked like the Caps were outplaying them slightly through two.  I'm sure we can wear them down over a 7 game series at this rate.

I do agree that Alzner for Orpik would be an upgrade.  Shattenkirk must surely be getting frustrated, going from a first line pairing to a third line pairing with a slower, older d man opposite him.

You know what...I know we're down 0-1, but I feel better about this match up vs. the Pens than I did ever at any point in the series vs. Toronto.  We THOROUGHLY outplayed them last night.  Yes, they had the best player (Crosby,) but we have the better team.  I truly believe we'll win in 6. 

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

You know what...I know we're down 0-1, but I feel better about this match up vs. the Pens than I did ever at any point in the series vs. Toronto.  We THOROUGHLY outplayed them last night.  Yes, they had the best player (Crosby,) but we have the better team.  I truly believe we'll win in 6. 

I don't follow hockey much until the post-season, but I said the same thing to my friends last night. The Caps looked more in control throughout most of last night's game than they ever did for a consistent stretch against Toronto. I'm not sure they'll rip off 4 of 5, but I think they'll win the series. 

Archived