Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Brexit Thread

No Excuses

That they've a heck of a lot longer to live and make informed decisions on that instead of self centred ones from 50 plus people with less time who aren't as informed as research has shown right through this campaign.

Well in America 1/3rd of those smart millennials are still living with mommy and daddy.  I hear it's worse in Britain.

That they've a heck of a lot longer to live and make informed decisions on that instead of self centred ones from 50 plus people with less time who aren't as informed as research has shown right through this campaign.

Hail.

Rather than have the UK leave the EU, maybe you can persuade England and Wales to secede from the UK.

They can reclaim it in November if we're dumb enough. Americans love a competition.

Yeah ... the article noted that it may only be a temporary advantage come November.

The current PM is resigning because he thinks someone who actually believes in this should be leading it.

Which I respect, but to the point, doesn't that mean the people have to elect a new PM now?

Could they "reverse their decision" by failing to elect a person that runs on actually fulfilling this? Or specifically, electing a person that promises not to follow through?

Not that they would, just asking in regards to: can they undo this.

The British people don't actual vote for PM. We elect MPs, The leader of the party with the majority of MPs in parliament then becomes PM. At any point that party can decide to change leader and we get a new PM. This is what is happening now, Cameron is resigning as leader of the Conservative party, the Conservative party will choose a new leader and he/she will become PM. 

The only way we would get a new election is if the government loses a vote of confidence in parliament, that would trigger a new election where all MPs would be up for re-election. It would take about 20 Conservative MPs to vote against their party for this to happen.

• Like 1

Hail.

Any actual evidence that the young are any less likely than the old to make foolish and/or short-sighted decisions?  Judging by social media alone, the young are prone to quite a bit of skull-slapping stupidity. 

Neither side made a convincing case. Cameron screwed himself over. Labour failed to support the remain side enough. Only just over a third of those in a position to vote wanted out, if you factor in the 28% who didn't bother.

It won't be the **** storm people predict though, not by any means.

Any actual evidence that the young are any less likely than the old to make foolish and/or short-sighted decisions? Judging by social media alone, the young are prone to quite a bit of skull-slapping stupidity.

This argument has really been bothering me. At 40 I look back and beliefs and decisions made at 24 and think damn I was dumb. A 24 year old has little experience in life and there is not much I would take the advice of a 24 year old on. There is a reason most countries say you have to be 35 to 40 to be president. You need wisdom and experience that only comes with age.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/24/the-british-are-frantically-googling-what-the-eu-is-hours-after-voting-to-leave-it/?tid=sm_tw

The British are frantically Googling what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sense-of-shock-as-sheffield-and-england-backs-brexit-1-7982061

Sense of shock as Sheffield and England backs ‘Brexit’

Sheffield’s Leave campaign won by 6,000 votes in yesterday’s referendum on Britain’s EU membership – 51 per cent of the total vote.

In a turnout of 67 per cent, Sheffield voters mirrored the picture nationally, in which 51.9 per cent of people voted to leave.

But following Prime Minister David Cameron’s resignation, the pound hitting a 30-year low, and £124 billion being wiped off the UK stock market, voters on both sides described feelings shock this morning in Sheffield – and a feeling of uncertainty for the future.

Sitting outside Sheffield Cathedral, Chris Wells, aged 39, said he was ‘truly shocked’.

Chris, who voted remain, said: “When I woke up this morning, the first thing I saw was Nigel Farage’s face and I knew things weren’t right.

http://time.com/4381464/vote-leave-regret-referendum/

These Brexit Voters Think They Have Made a Horrible Mistake

Some Brexit voters are regretting their choice after U.K.’s momentous decision to leave the E.U. on Thursday, which caused the British pound to hit a 30-year low.

On the BBC, a Brexit voter introduced as Adam said that he was “shocked” that Britain voted to Leave. “I did not think that was going to happen, I didn’t think my vote was going to matter too much because I thought we were just going to remain,” he said, adding that the resignation of U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron has “blown me away,” resulting in a magnified “period of uncertainty.”

From Manchester Airport, another voter, Mandy, told ITV news that she is disappointed with her choice. “This morning I woke up and the reality did actually hit me, if I had the opportunity to vote again it would be to stay,” she told ITV.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/746374341286371328

German finance ministry strategy paper has recommended making the UK an "associated partner country" of the EU following leave vote
12:08 PM
Edited by visionary

The British people don't actual vote for PM. We elect MPs, The leader of the party with the majority of MPs in parliament then becomes PM. At any point that party can decide to change leader and we get a new PM. This is what is happening now, Cameron is resigning as leader of the Conservative party, the Conservative party will choose a new leader and he/she will become PM. 

The only way we would get a new election is if the government loses a vote of confidence in parliament, that would trigger a new election where all MPs would be up for re-election. It would take about 20 Conservative MPs to vote against their party for this to happen.

I wish that we had a "vote of no confidence" here in the states, except that instead of being instigated by Congress, it could be called on by the people.  

My ideal scenario: A vote of no-confidence is called by the American People.  That vote is scheduled to take place the next day. (no dawdling.)

We figure out how to be able to vote by twitter poll.

89% of the population votes that they have no confidence in our government.

We negotiate a treaty with Putin to ship all Federal Elected Officials to Siberia for the remainder of their terms. We'll probably have to give up something for him to agree to this.  Whatever.  I'm willing to pay.  And they need to be somewhere far, far away. NOTE: This would have to include all party representatives currently in a position to become the next President.  In a shocking negotiation with Putin, he demands that Hillary and Donald are forced to share a cabin.  We happily acquiesce to the demand. 

Once all of the rif-raff is safely in Siberia, we conduct new elections.  Write ins only, no party affiliation.  Time to election would be 1 week.  

World would be a much, much better place.  

It won't be the **** storm people predict though, not by any means.

As soon as article 50 is triggered, isn't a two-year clock running? Aside from what that means for decades of legislation and regulations that will need to be changed and the costs of doing that, what happens to European citizens currently working in the UK, and to UK citizens throughout Europe who would similarly lose their rights of work, residency etc. Rights to own businesses and property will change significantly. Changing jobs will be more difficult if countries enforce rules that EU citizens are hired over non--EU, etc.

Daniel Hannan, one of the architects of the referendum, yesterday before the vote:

http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2016/06/daniel-hannan-today-for-once-we-can-choose-our-own-future-outside-the-eu.html

Amusing things seen elsewhere:

"Stocks fall to levels not seen since last month."

"Accusing someone of hating Europe for disliking the EU is like saying someone hates soccer because they despise FIFA."

• Like 2

World would be a much, much better place.  

We'd end up re-electing about 80% of our officials, and the 20% we kicked out would change parties with new votes of no confidence about every 6 months.

"Mass shooting!?  No confidence in President Obama!"

"Market bubble?  No confidence in President Romney!"

"A report about how China is totally beating us in X Sector!  No confidence in President Kaine!"

"That report was false!?  No confidence in President Ryan!"

Meanwhile, no progress happens because everyone still loves their Congressperson and partisanship prevents anything from happening.

• Like 1

This is the stupidity and arrogance that brought the English to this point. They still believe they have the economic and political clout of 100 years ago when they were the most important country in the World, ruling a quarter of the World's population.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1

The EU is going to basically write its death sentence if it allows members to leave but continue free trade with closed borders. There is no purpose for the EU to exist if thats the case.

The UKIP is a bunch of loons and the people who fell for their lies are going to realize it very soon. 

• Like 1

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-scotland-idUSKCN0ZA0S2?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=576d683d04d3015d73c49d27&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

New Scotland independence referendum 'highly likely': Sturgeon

A second Scottish independence referendum is "highly likely", First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said on Friday, raising the prospect that the United Kingdom could tear itself apart after voting to leave the European Union.

Scotland, a nation of five million people, voted decisively to stay in the EU by 62 to 38 percent in a referendum on Thursday, putting it at odds with the United Kingdom as a whole, which voted 52-48 in favor of an exit from the EU, or Brexit.

"As things stand, Scotland faces the prospect of being taken out of the EU against her will. I regard that as democratically unacceptable," Sturgeon told a news conference in Edinburgh.

"I think an independence referendum is now highly likely."

A vote for independence would end the 300-year-old union between Scotland and England, its far bigger southern neighbor, dealing a body blow to the United Kingdom at a time when it is likely to still be dealing with the complex fallout from Brexit.

It would also transform the political landscape in the rump of the United Kingdom by making it much harder for Labour, the main opposition to the ruling Conservatives, to win power in London, as the party has relied on Scottish votes in the past.

Scots rejected independence by 55 to 45 percent in a 2014 referendum, but since then Sturgeon's pro-independence Scottish National Party (SNP) has become much more powerful.

EU membership was one of the key issues in 2014, with those campaigning for Scotland to stick with the United Kingdom arguing that an independent Scotland would not be able to remain a member of the bloc.

Sturgeon said many Scots who had voted against independence for that reason were now re-assessing their decision.

"I intend to take all possible steps and explore all options to give effect to how people in Scotland voted (on Thursday), in other words to secure our continuing place in the EU and in the single market," she said.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-middle-east-british-vote-seen-as-casualty-of-regions-wars-1466782546

In Middle East, British Vote Seen as Casualty of Region’s Wars
Edited by visionary

Hail.

You really imagine that went into this? You think old people sat around saying "well we've only got 10 years of life left so we can stand to ruin everything with minimal discomfort, let's do it!" Honestly, I find this particular argument to be completely ridiculous.

There are valid arguments for wanting the UK to stay in the EU, "old people don't have to live long" is not among them.

• Like 3

Forgive my ignorance on financial matters, much less international financial matters, but it seems everyone is saying the UK economy is going to take a huge hit.  What are the chances this hurts the EU more?  Can the Euro stand when you remove a big economy from the equation?  Why or why not?  Help me understand.

Forgive my ignorance on financial matters, much less international financial matters, but it seems everyone is saying the UK economy is going to take a huge hit.  What are the chances this hurts the EU more?  Can the Euro stand when you remove a big economy from the equation?  Why or why not?  Help me understand.

Everyone in the EU is going to take a hit short term.

However long term, EU nations still have free trade agreements and free labor movement amongst each other, and they still have their trades and agreements with American/Asian countries in place.

The UK has isolated itself where it now has to renegotiate with the EU, Asia and the Americas. It also has to figure out what to do with the foreign labor force from EU countries within its borders and all the Brits working in other EU countries. A decent amount of the finance sector based out of London is going to move to Dublin, Frankfurt or Paris, cities within the EU.

And it's really quite unlikely that the EU will allow the UK free access to its single market. They are going to play politics and make an example out of the UK so other member states don't leave the EU.

Anyone telling you that this won't get ugly is lying. Take France for example. Only 38% of the French have a positive view of the EU, six points lower than the Brits. If they find out that they can leave the EU like the UK, close their borders and still get access to the single market with all its benefits, why would they choose to stay?

This either ends with the EU dissolving or UK being isolated financially from the rest of Europe and potentially breaking up with Scotland choosing the EU over them.

• Like 1

UK economy is significant but it's less than 20% of the EU.

The exit process is uncertain. Imagine trying to run a business in the UK when you don't know what your costs and regulations will be for your largest markets.

Edited by Corcaigh