Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Brexit Thread

No Excuses

GMTA

I'm wondering if we should be buying pounds and Euros, for our trip now.

Yes buy the pound now. This is a disaster of epic proportions for the UK economy.

Things will probably rebound short term soon but as soon as the subsidies and trade pacts start going out the window during negotiations, the real brunt of the economic hardship will be felt. Not to mention the loss of Scotland and N. Ireland who will join the EU over this incredibly short sighted, nationalist decision.

The UKIP leaders literally had no plans for what to do if this passed. I don't think they were expecting it. The fact that there is no viable exit strategy is going to cause total chaos. I don't think they were expecting a break up of the U.K. as a result.

• Like 1

I would love to see polls of the different areas of the UK on the question of stay or leave taken between, say, next Monday and next Friday, after the market tumble has happened.

What are the odds of significant buyer's remorse?  Pretty high I'd imagine.

This was a move purely driven by fears of immigrants and free movement across the border. The problem is that they won't have access to the EU single market if they don't allow for free movement across the border. And half of the UKs exports are bought within the EU.

So you either take control of the border, lose clean access to the EU market and undergo a likely recession. Or keep free movement of people for access to the single market and then at that point, what was the point of all this?

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2

Yes buy the pound now. This is a disaster of epic proportions for the UK economy.

A bit of hyperbole here.  The pound is still the strongest currency in the world and the fire sale in the next couple of days is going to drive it back to and probably beyond where it was last week.  The UK was not some sycophant in the EU like Greece, they are fully capable of negotiating their own deals.  Leaving or staying will really not be much of a difference in the UK.  

A bit of hyperbole here. The pound is still the strongest currency in the world and the fire sale in the next couple of days is going to drive it back to and probably beyond where it was last week. The UK was not some sycophant in the EU like Greece, they are fully capable of negotiating their own deals. Leaving or staying will really not be much of a difference in the UK.

They are not going to have access to the single market if they restrict their borders. That is simply how the EU works. Britain does half of its exports to EU countries.

This is a choice between control of borders and economic gains. Nigel Farage and his goons could care less about the economy, they did this purely for the sake of curbing immigration. Which is fine, but they expect economic gains which won't be there.

They can follow the Norwegian model. Norway is not in the EU but it gains access to the single market by allowing free movement of people. But this entire referendum was really a referendum on control of borders and that's going to come at a steep price.

I cannot believe I'm agreeing with conservatives (again), but it sounds like the EU is totally undemocratic. Hard to blame the Brits for insisting on their sovereignty.

You may have majored in philosophy.  

Side effects include but are not limited to having thoughts beyond narrow ideologically constricted programming.

>you seem a fan of the fella you're named after  though it looks to me that you disagree with Socrates and his trusty stenographer Aristocles about democracy... and yet you cannot believe...?   True justified belief?  You should know your own head better'n most, navel gazer :P 

I think you're doing just fine.  Sure you're mostly biased in favor of the self-interests (not all of 'em YOUR precise self-interests)  you champion, but there is a good measure of sub specie aeternitatis that I discern in your writing overall that is only possible where a solid  practiced objectivity obtains. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first I heard of this referendum was a tangential reference in an article about some fights between Russian and UK soccer fans in France recently.    

Hey maybe the fallout from it all can be chronicled in a new reality tv series.   Working title:  Boris'll Brexit.

• Like 1

Will the Brits transport more monkeys to Gibraltar to reinforce their claim?

That this vote would go through makes me nervous about the possibility of a Drumpf victory in November. Voters ignored economic realities overshadowed by hyper-nativism and Islamophobia. The default setting on the people factory must be stuck on Suck again.

I would love to see polls of the different areas of the UK on the question of stay or leave taken between, say, next Monday and next Friday, after the market tumble has happened.

What are the odds of significant buyer's remorse?  Pretty high I'd imagine.

This already from BBCNews in Manchester this morning: 

Follow 

With leave voters in Manchester for BBCNews -most told us they woke up thinking "what have I done?" & didn't actually expect the uk to leave

Seriously! It's too ****ing late now dickheads!

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 3

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/06/brexit-google-search-trends-tech/

"

Many UK voters didn’t understand Brexit, Google searches suggest "What happens if we leave the EU?" and "What is Brexit?" were top search terms."

In the wee hours of Friday morning, the people of the UK voted to leave the European Union with a majority of 52 percent—and according to Google, they don't really know why. Two hours after the referendum polls closed, roughly midnight UK time, the Google Trends Twitter account reported a 250 percent increase in people searching "what happens if we leave the EU." "Are we in or out of the EU?"spiked by 2,450 percent.

Other search terms that peaked following the result include "what happens to foreigners if we leave the EU," "what happens if we stay in the EU," and—perhaps most worryingly considering the gravity of the decision—"what is Brexit?"

Earlier in the evening, the top search in Sunderland (one of the first cities to declare its results) was "How do I vote in the EU referendum?"

Unfortunately for the British people, the answer to the question "what happens if we leave the EU?" is unlikely to be answered by a simple Google search. While the short-term effects of Brexit are being felt this morning—a record fall in value for the pound, the loss of London's status as Europe's financial centre, and politicians backtracking on some questionable campaign promises—the long-term effects are extremely complex.

• Like 2

They are not going to have access to the single market if they restrict their borders. That is simply how the EU works. Britain does half of its exports to EU countries.

Assuming that the UK has roughly equal trade (or a trade deficit) with the EU, the UK could certainly negotiate the same deal they had before.  It is in neither's best interests to drive up taxes on imports/exports.  

Assuming that the UK has roughly equal trade (or a trade deficit) with the EU, the UK could certainly negotiate the same deal they had before.  It is in neither's best interests to drive up taxes on imports/exports.  

Will the Brits transport more monkeys to Gibraltar to reinforce their claim?

That this vote would go through makes me nervous about the possibility of a Drumpf victory in November. Voters ignored economic realities overshadowed by hyper-nativism and Islamophobia. The default setting on the people factory must be stuck on Suck again.

I don't know much about Boris Johnson or other "Leave" leaders, but from the statements I've heard from them, their quotes, etc., they seem articulate at the very least.

That is in stark contrast to Trump's flailing narcissism.  He is so absurd in everything he does, that the bar for people to buy in to what he's selling, I think, is higher.  There are certainly some events that could push him upwards, but I don't think his arguments alone, in the present climate, with his mannerisms, will carry him to victory.

I wonder if the German theater shooting changed anyone's mind yesterday.  Early on, reports of 25 people dead with some rumors/reports of ties to ISIS or refugees might have increased fear across the UK.  Obviously, initial reports are now known to have been somewhat hyperbolic, but by the time full details emerged, I imagine much of the UK had already voted.

So you pay the same for a trade agreement with the biggest free market in the World. to still have no control over your borders as free movement of travel is a requirement of buying into a trade agreement with the EU; and lose your say on anything as you're no longer at the table. 

And people actually voted for that. No. Seriously. They really did .....

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

All the Brits living, studying and working in Europe need to be sent home. Come on Europe, let's start the deportations today. Send those immigrants back home to their own country that rejects European values.

And from the Waterford Whisperer News (the Irish Onion):

Thousands Of British Refugees Make Dangerous Journey Across The Irish Sea

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/06/24/thousands-of-british-refugees-make-dangerous-journey-across-the-irish-sea/

ft8157m.jpg

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 2

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/06/brexit-google-search-trends-tech/

"

Many UK voters didn’t understand Brexit, Google searches suggest "What happens if we leave the EU?" and "What is Brexit?" were top search terms."

In the wee hours of Friday morning, the people of the UK voted to leave the European Union with a majority of 52 percent—and according to Google, they don't really know why. Two hours after the referendum polls closed, roughly midnight UK time, the Google Trends Twitter account reported a 250 percent increase in people searching "what happens if we leave the EU." "Are we in or out of the EU?"spiked by 2,450 percent.

Other search terms that peaked following the result include "what happens to foreigners if we leave the EU," "what happens if we stay in the EU," and—perhaps most worryingly considering the gravity of the decision—"what is Brexit?"

Earlier in the evening, the top search in Sunderland (one of the first cities to declare its results) was "How do I vote in the EU referendum?"

Unfortunately for the British people, the answer to the question "what happens if we leave the EU?" is unlikely to be answered by a simple Google search. While the short-term effects of Brexit are being felt this morning—a record fall in value for the pound, the loss of London's status as Europe's financial centre, and politicians backtracking on some questionable campaign promises—the long-term effects are extremely complex.

Un-****ing-believable. But at the same time, so incredibly believable. 

• Like 1