Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Brexit Thread

No Excuses

Barack Obama has warned that the UK would be at the “back of the queue” in any trade deal with the US if the country chose to leave the EU

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/22/barack-obama-brexit-uk-back-of-queue-for-trade-talks

Maybe the UK didn't like being threatened?

Maybe they just wanted to say * you Obama

Actually it seems like lots of them didn't even really understand what they were voting for and were driven by pure emotion. But sure, go ahead an pull a "Thanks Obama" if it makes you feel better.

Assuming that the UK has roughly equal trade (or a trade deficit) with the EU, the UK could certainly negotiate the same deal they had before. It is in neither's best interests to drive up taxes on imports/exports.

It is not as simple as negotiating a trade deal because it will take years and years most likely and there are immigration and banking rules to take into account as well. London will most certainly not be the financial hub of Europe now. Regardless, the U.K. has lost free trade power with the rest of the EU and all the other countries like South Korea that the EU had an agreement with.

Not only do they have to renegotiate with the EU, but separately and individually with every other country that had free trade pacts with the EU.

Good luck sorting that out while the economy enters a recession and the U.K. breaks apart as Scotland leaves and Ireland likely unifies.

Edited by No Excuses

It's a victory for people who want Britain to be as white as possible and think of migrants as a lesser class of human.

(other people may have voted for it, but will likely get screwed over by it)

And it may lead to the shattering of the UK.

It is more complicated than that. The EU has been moving more and more in an anti-democratic direction for decades. The EU bureaucracy doesn't follow what the elected legislatures propose or even referendums from it's member states.  If a law is passed or vote had which contradicts the bureaucracy's plans they just ignore it. This happened with a Danish vote a few years back and it happened with another state as well.  

Bottom-line there is going to be a lot of short term pain but I believe the British made the right choice long term. They chose liberty, wouldn't most of us chose that as well? Would you want to live in an anti-democratic oligarchy which is where the EU is heading?

UK Independence Party Leader Admits His Bold Brexit Claim Was a "Mistake"

As Britain awoke on Friday to the news that it had voted in favor of withdrawing from the European Union, voters were introduced to their new reality with a stunning admission from Nigel Farage, the pro-Brexit advocate who leads the U.K. Independence Party. Farage said that the Vote Leave campaign's signature pledge—that leaving the European Union would allow for £350 million to be spent on the U.K.'s National Health Service—was a "mistake."

Farage's mea culpa was made during an appearance on Good Morning Britain, where he was asked if he could continue supporting that promise after the campaign to extract the United Kingdom from the European Union had succeeded.

"No I can't, and I would have never made that claim," Farage said. "It was one of the mistakes I think the 'leave' campaign made"

When pressed by Good Morning Britain's Susanna Reid, who said that 17 million people had voted to leave the EU partly on that bold promise, Farage repeatedly stalled, as he attempted to disavow the campaign pledge.

"Do you think there are other things that people will wake up this morning and find out aren't going to happen?" Reid asked.

ouch.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/6ca5195b-a8a5-4b20-b209-92440b9a25d6

interesting video interview here with Nigel Farage live on GMB

Honestly, the institutionalised lies along with the Nazi-propganda scaremongering hatred for foreigners from that low life POS and his co-horts has had to be seen to be believed. 

I'm sadly ashamed to say many people (the very people they targeted and played on who are of that frame of mind and dissatisfied. Even though it's our own Government and not Europe their anger should of been directed toward) believed and bought into it.

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Would this have happened absent the influx of immigrants from the diaspora of Syrians and Iraqis caused by the upheaval in the Middle East? 

Because talk about unintended consequences...

I think the Arab Spring is the single biggest contributing factor in the rise of right wing nativist movements throughout the Western democracies. How is that for an unintended consequence of inventing twitter and youtube?

But I think the first serious blow to the EU's stability and cohesion was caused by the financial crisis in 2008. The global economy, and by derivation, the global balance of power and political order, is something of a house of cards. Bad economic practice that started in the U.S. (exacerbated by the unbelievably short-sighted repeal of Glass-Steagall) has really ****ed a lot of things up for a lot of people.

• Like 1

Major UK Financial services firms have already announced that tens of thousands of jobs will be moved out of the UK.

Someone I spoke to in the heart of London's financial industry this morning says the consensus view is incredibly negative about the outcome.

Edited by Corcaigh

Honestly, the institutionalised lies along with the Nazi-propganda scaremongering hatred for foreigners from that low life POS and his co-horts has had to be seen to be believed. 

I'm sadly ashamed to say many people (the very people they targeted and played on who are of that frame of mind and dissatisfied. Even though it's our own Government and not Europe their anger should of been directed toward) believed and bought into it.

Hail. 

Yeah they were pretty well oiled. Over here I think we should consider ourselves fortunate that Trump isn't nearly as organized. If he were, god help us.

• Like 1

Question.

If the UK decided they messed up, could they seek re-entry? I imagine yes, but after how long? What kind of concessions would they have to make?

They technically don't have to do anything because this was only an advisory referendum and isn't mandatory. As long as they don't file for exit (Article 50), they are still under EU regulations.

They can pretend this never happened but with Cameron resigning that's unlikely.

Edited by No Excuses

Question.

If the UK decided they messed up, could they seek re-entry?  I imagine yes, but after how long?  What kind of concessions would they have to make?

A poll set up this morning has already exceeded the 100,000 threshold of positive responses that it is required to be debated in Parliament.

But European leaders are already saying GTFO.

Question.

If the UK decided they messed up, could they seek re-entry?  I imagine yes, but after how long?  What kind of concessions would they have to make?

A do-over vote would be hilarious 

"Can you do that? Asking for a friend."

- Rince Priebus

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 6

Does this mean England is now kicked out of the European soccer championships?

Also the turnout was only like 60% for such an important vote? would BreXXXit have gotten a bigger turnout? These are the questions that need to be asked. 

This is why educating your body politic is so important. Otherwise you end up with an electorate full of ignorant children who get manipulated by villains.

It's a two-way street.  You know what they say about leading horses to water, don't you?  Not everyone WANTS to be smarter.