Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Brexit Thread

No Excuses

I think the reason its the main thing people see is because it was the main driver from the "Leave" side as far as the way they pushed it. .

That's fair. I'm far from well informed on this. I have no problem deferring to you and others.

Maybe the EU is totally different, but I see other reasons for not being pleased with the follow through on globalization and having people you don't elect forcing decisions on you that you don't agree with.

It just seems like these days every issue boils down to one side declaring the other dumb/sexist/racist/xenophobic and I've grown tired of it. To the point where I'm prone to write it off, as if it's the boy crying wolf.

Yes, I see the flaws in that approach.

*shrug*

• Like 1

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/284753-trump-pound-going-down-means-business-at-turnberry

Trump: Pound going down helps business at my golf course

Donald Trump says if the British pound tumbles in the wake of Britain's vote to leave the European Union, it could benefit him financially.

"Look, if the pound goes down, they're going to do more business. When the pound goes down, more people are coming to Turnberry," Trump said Friday, speaking at a press conference celebrating the reopening of his golf resort in Scotland.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/284467-trump-on-brexit-i-dont-think-anybody-should-listen-to-me

Trump on Brexit: 'I don’t think anybody should listen to me'

Donald Trump may have finally found a topic on which he doesn't think anyone should listen to him.

In a Wednesday interview with Fox Business, Trump said he was unsure he should be weighing in Britain's upcoming vote on whether to leave the European Union.

“I don’t think anybody should listen to me because I haven’t really focused on it very much,” Trump told Maria Bartiromo.

“My inclination would be to get out, because you know, just go it alone,” he continued. Trump has previously said British voters should choose to leave the EU.

Trump added that the results of the vote "doesn't have any effect on me."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/uk-eu-brexit-vote-move-to-canada-1.3651308

Britons seek to 'move to Canada' after Brexit vote

Google reports surge in U.K. searches for 'move to Canada,' 'move to Gibraltar'

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-juncker-idUSKCN0ZA3CL?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=576dd1b504d301594276a3ac&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

EU's Juncker says wants to begin negotiating British departure now

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said he wanted to begin negotiating Britain's departure from the European Union, and there was no reason to wait until October, when British Prime Minister David Cameron has said he will resign.

"Britons decided yesterday that they want to leave the European Union, so it doesn't make any sense to wait until October to try to negotiate the terms of their departure," Juncker said in an interview with Germany's ARD television station. "I would like to get started immediately."

Juncker said the EU would pursue a "reasonable approach" in negotiating the separation. "It's not an amicable divorce, but it was not exactly a tight love affair anyway," he said.

Edited by visionary

Texas is a rarity among red states, and actually is right in the middle of the pack as far as taking/giving to the federal budget.   But you would be correct if you suspected that that virtually all of the "takers" are red states and virtually all of the "givers" are blue states.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

• Like 1

Isn't Texas a net taker when it comes to federal money?

Nope. They're pretty much the only Red State that isn't.

(Which is why, every time the topic comes up, twa pretends that Texas represents all Red States.)

They'll need passports and have to go through customs to come onto US soil as well. Can't risk terrorists coming through their borders, now, can we?

We'll build a wall. Texas will pay for it.

also the Republic of Texas would have to field its own military since they would no longer be under our protection

Heck, half of 'em are in a militia, already.

• Like 3

Texas is a rarity among red states, and actually is right in the middle of the pack as far as taking/giving to the federal budget. But you would be correct if you suspected that that virtually all of the "takers" are red states and virtually all of the "givers" are blue states.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

Thanks. I'm still happy with my textbook stance ;)

--------

Has there been any information on how the polling was so wrong? This morning on wtop the sub headline seemed to be that this was extremely unelected, that the polls (and all the speculators) we not planning on it passing.

Thanks. I'm still happy with my textbook stance ;)

buncha Yankees too cheap or ignorant to write their own books pissin and moaning...it's enough to drive a man to drink

What is the difference between the UK, Great Britain, and England? I thought I knew but the way the news is thinking im n other so sure. And how would London break of? Isn't it a city in a country like New York city in the US?

Best, funniest and quickest explanation of the UK:

• Like 6

Not to the tune of 17.4 million people.

People voted leave because the remain campaign sucked. Cameron is going, the dick in charge of Labour will follow because he allowed his party, a predominantly pro EU group, to jump ship. The press and reporting on immigration etc is being greatly overplayed. The political leaders ****ed this up.

Agree completely on the piss poor showing of Corbyn in particular, but completely DISAGREE that the majority of 'little Englanders' didn't vote based on the underlying 'anti-foreigner' Nazi-esq propaganda rhetoric that underpinned the whole campaign from leave. It just played completely into their dissatisfaction ignorance, and ****ed up sense of patrotism. Throw in some abhorrent lies, like the £350 million that was in massive letters all over the place, and another large proportion of the leave vote who just wanted to go against the establishment and stick it to the government and Cameron, as many complete imbeciles have openly boasted about the last 24 hours; and it's excessively naive to think the majority voted for the right reasons.

There's no question that both sides, and the media, did a piss poor job in NOT informing the electorate fully and honestly for them to be able to make a reasoned, informed decision rather than an impulsive, Nationalistic one. (The repeated 'Why did you vote leave?' ..... 'I want rid of the immigrants taking our jobs and ruining our great Country!' answer from many interviewed the last 24 hours just encapsulates this from supposed mature, reasoned, adult voters.).

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

and it's excessively naive to think the majority voted for the right reasons.

Well I don't think that the majority voted for the right reasons, just like I don't think the majority voted for the wrong reasons.

If the voting population was smaller then maybe a case could be made for either, I just think that in over 17million leave voters you will have an even spread of 'reasons'....just my personal opinion.

And I'm sure those who have voted leave will see the leave campaign sales pitch unravel to some degree fairly quickly. But to repeat what I said yesterday, it won't be the end of the world. All this 'the UK is ****ed nonsense' is what I find naive.

But we shall see......back to the footy thread for me mate.....

Well in a schadenfreude kinda way I am happy that the UK has trumped Trump out of the "national embarrassment" news cycle even temporarily.

I'm wondering what are the realistic chances that someone can force a revote on this? I see this being discussed, and seemingly a lot of people waking up hungover wondering "what the hell did I do?" but what are the odds it might happen? Kinda sounds like the EU- especially Germany- is happy with the result and can now essentially dominate the organization, is that fair to say?

• Like 1

If the European Union does not punish the UK for leaving, there is a possibility that other countries will follow suit.  So, I expect Germany, France and other nations to make it a painful process for the United Kingdom.  Expect a recession.  Besides, the Germans probably want Frankfurt to be the financial capital of Europe. Those countries want faster growth.  They see it as an opportunity.

The market does not like uncertainty.  Growth rate will be terrible just because of that.

Also, populism needs to die.  If UK suffers, the probability that Trump gets elected will be zero.  So, yes, I want the UK to suffer hard.  I don't want racists and White Nationalists to control the world. 

The bottom-line for me is that, if the EU makes it painful for the UK, no other country will dare leave the EU.  They need to do it IMO.  Make the UK suffer.  

People want to scapegoat other people for their own issues.  You see Americans blaming Hispanics in this country.  In the UK, they like blaming Eastern Europeans and Muslims.  Maybe you are the problem. I say look at yourself in the mirror.  You don't have a good job not because of the Hispanics or Eastern Europeans or Muslims or China, but because you have issues.  

• Like 2

Personally, I'd say its more like the original 13 colonies giving up state powers to a federal government who gets to set some rules that trump the state rules. Without such centralization of powers, those states are left to compete against each other (and really only act in their own self interest) all the while the rest of the world easily passes them by.

Maybe but without the House and Senate and President. It would be the courts and the bureaucracy. The real problem with the EU is it's anti-democratic method of functioning. They have a parliament but the real power lies with the unelected bureaucrats who create their own regulations and who can and often do choose to ignore what the elected officials propose or pass. Edited by nonniey

Maybe but without the House and Senate and President. It would be the courts and the bureaucracy. The real problem with the EU is it's anti-democratic method of functioning. They have a parliament but the real power lies with the unelected bureaucrats who create their own regulations and who can and often do choose to ignore what the elected officials propose or pass.

So the EU is like the federal reserve?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/matthewchampion/four-brexit-promises-that-have-already-gone-up-in-smoke?utm_term=.ivKvNzRlQ

Four Brexit Promises That Have Already Gone Up In Smoke

http://www.cityam.com/244142/mp-calls-mps-defy-eu-referendum?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

EU referendum: Top Labour MP wants parliament to overrule the EU referendum result

A senior Labour MP has called on parliament to strike down the result of Thursday's referendum and stay in the European Union.

David Lammy, MP for Tottenham and a former minister under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, said the UK needed to "wake up" and wants parliament to stage a vote next week so it can overrule the electorate's decision to Leave the EU.

In a statement issued this afternoon, Lammy, who ran against Sadiq Khan to be Labour's candidate for London mayor, said: "We do not have to do this. We can stop this madness and bring this nightmare to an end through a vote in parliament.

"The referendum was an advisory, non-binding referendum. The Leave campaign's platform has already unravelled and some people wish they hadn't voted to Leave. Parliament now needs to decide whether we should go forward with Brexit, and there should be a vote in Parliament next week."

He added: "Let us not destroy our economy on the basis of lies and the hubris of Boris Johnson."

http://bigstory.ap.org/c5579676ca7244f780ca09521c700ecb

Web petition for 2nd EU referendum draws huge interest

An online petition seeking a second referendum on a British exit from the Europe Union has drawn more than 1.6 million names, a measure of the extraordinary divisiveness of Thursday's vote to leave the 28-nation bloc.

The online petition site hosted by the House of Commons website even crashed Friday under the weight of the activity as officials said they'd seen unprecedented interest in the measure, which calls on the government to implement a rule that stating if that if "remain" or "leave" camps won less than 60 percent of the vote with less than a 75 percent turnout "there should be another referendum."

"Leave" ended up winning Thursday's contest with a 52 percent share of the vote and a turnout of 72 percent.

Online petitions — which take little more than a valid email address to sign up for and are easy to game — are very poor measures of popular opinion, but officials said Friday that the level of activity on a single petition was unprecedented.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/21/eu-migrant-uk-referendum-politicians-press

Despised, but voiceless – what it’s like to be an EU migrant in the UK

We don’t have a say in the referendum, but the politicians and press talk about us as if we are an underclass who cannot read – and it’s terrifying

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/06/25/world/europe/ap-eu-britain-eu-the-latest.html?_r=1

The Latest: Surge in Irish Passport Applications After Vote

Irish citizenship has generally been taken up by members of Northern Ireland's Irish nationalist Roman Catholic community, rather than by Protestants who identify as British.

But in a sign of how the referendum has turned politics on its head, one of Northern Ireland's leading Protestant politicians, Ian Paisley Jr., tweeted: "My advice is if you are entitled to second passport then take one."

Edited by visionary

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-referendum-nigel-farage-nhs-350-million-pounds-live-health-service-u-turn-a7102831.html

Video evidence emerges of Nigel Farage pledging EU millions for NHS weeks before Brexit vote

The Ukip leader distanced himself from the pledge just hours after EU referendum results became known

http://news.sky.com/story/1717435/sturgeon-indyref-2-option-very-much-on-table

Sturgeon: Indyref 2 Option Very Much On Table

Scotland wants immediate talks with the European Union on protecting its place in the bloc, after Britain's vote to leave.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/3/a5486a10-3ad9-11e6-8716-a4a71e8140b0.html#axzz4Cc2ueavi

EU band of six send chilling message to Britain

Self-selected inner circle of EU foreign ministers push for speed on Brexit, writes Gideon Rachman

The meeting of the foreign ministers of the six founding members of the EU in Berlin gives a foretaste of the arguments that Britain’s Brexit vote will unleash. In this case, the debate is over how fast the UK should leave the EU — and how hard the EU itself should push Britain for an accelerated exit.

The foreign ministers’ position was uncompromising. They demanded quick action, with Jean-Marc Ayrault, the French foreign minister, saying that it should take “only a few days” for Britain to invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty — which sets in train the process for Britain to leave the EU within two years. This is in strong contrast to the position of David Cameron, the UK’s outgoing prime minister, who said that he will leave it to his successor to trigger Article 50, which would push back formal notification of the UK leaving the EU until autumn, at the earliest.

https://twitter.com/jimfitzbiz/status/746722921125654528

Oh my! Looks like Scotland and Northern Ireland may have a veto on Brexit process - p 19 
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201516/ldselect/ldeucom/138/138.pdf

Edited by visionary

Someone close to Bernie should show the Corbyn thing to him if he ever wavers on supporting Hillary after the convention. Distance yourself from Hillary too much, and we might end up with our own "leave" vote.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/23/high-stakes-for-game-of-thrones-and-the-brexit-vote.html?utm_content=buffer0dcde&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

We blew it up! It was Earth all along!

If that went through I wonder what would happen when it sinks in with their populace that they are actually their own country now, including all of the complex things that entails, including having to come up with their own currency, as well as forging brand new trade agreements and treaties with the USA and other nations. They'll need passports and have to go through customs to come onto US soil as well. Can't risk terrorists coming through their borders, now, can we?

Not to mention having to raise their own Army to fend off the US Military who would move to end this nonsense.

Edited by nonniey

Re the post a couple up, Corbyn screwed the remain campaign big time. Did nothing and let Labour strong holds vote us out.

He was the worst and weakest of the bunch.

That t-shirt just sums it all up and is another reason for waning NOTHING to do with the English. 

Prick. 

Hail.

I know him. He's Welsh actually.