Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Egypt Air flight 804 crashes

Springfield

An EgyptAir flight en route to Cairo from Paris disappeared from radar today, as French officials fear the plane crashed over the Mediterranean Sea.

The flight went missing about 174 miles off the Egyptian coast, shortly after entering Egyptian airspace, the airline said overnight.

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.com/amp/International/french-president-fears-egyptair-flight-paris-cairo-crashed/story%3fid=39216354?client=safari#

And many other sources.

They were at cruising altitude and maintaining radio contact, and suddenly there was nothing and they crashed into the sea.

We've seen this how this plays out before... Giving 1-3 odds that it was a terror attack.

Bigot

37,000 feet, clear weather, experienced pilots, no distress calls, didn't lose altitude, simply vanished and had just crossed into Egyptian airspace. Call me crazy but I doubt it was gremlins (but wouldn't be shocked if that's the story the Egyptian government goes with.)

I'd love to visit Egypt. Thought about going last year, but then they conducted air strikes against ISIL in retaliation for the mirder of Copts working in Libya, and I was worried about reprisals. So much incredible stuff to see there. Maybe I will go in the fall.

People's tragedies are not entertainment. Prayers to loved ones and family involved - they were all real people - not simply tragic stats.

well thanks for clearing that up.

how long until we can call a spade a spade and not tip toe around this one?

i would love to eat my words here.

At 2:29 a.m., just after it had entered Egyptian airspace, the plane swerved 90 degrees to the left, and then 360 degrees to the right before plunging first to 15,000 feet, then 10,000 feet, before dropping off radar

my GOD.  I couldn't imagine.  

RIP to those who died.  Latest on CNN is "more likely terror than technical."  

Not directed at anyone - its annoying how the media cover this, like the "NASCAR crash" mentality.

Kids pick up on this and get desensitized... I have seen it with my son -- especially missing Malaysia... he has a friend that watches "Top 10 Plane Crashes" on YouTube. Its gross. This wasnt aimed at anyone.

Can we at least wait 24 hours until the crazy speculation begins, terrorism, mechanical problem, etc. I will be interested in that tomorrow... but right now we should think about the victims and families. Seems like the media doesn't even take time to admit the 68 or whatever number were people with lives, families, and the point of this shouldnt be to saturate tv with all the really meaningless garbage to fill entertainment time.

Can we at least wait 24 hours until the crazy speculation begins, terrorism, mechanical problem, etc. I will be interested in that tomorrow... but right now we should think about the victims and families. Seems like the media doesn't even take time to admit the 68 or whatever number were people with lives, families, and the point of this shouldnt be to saturate tv with all the really meaningless garbage to fill entertainment time.

Oh please.  I think people are capable of discussing a major tragedy while at the same time acknowledging the terrible human toll. 

Edit:  I say that referring to folks like us.  But I agree with you about knee-jerk speculation from public figures.  Nothing useful comes when a head of state, transportation official, investigator, or someone else in a position of authority speculates on such an event too soon.

Well, in my opinion you're looking at 1 of the 3:

1)  Either the airport in Paris was compromised and a bomb was loaded onto the plane pre-flight/a bomb made it through security

2)  A naval vessel launched a missile at the air liner

3)  Terrorists had a boat and a radar equipped with seeing planes traveling at 37k feet (unlikely) and a weapon with the ability to do shoot it down (also unlikely)

my GOD.  I couldn't imagine.  

RIP to those who died.  Latest on CNN is "more likely terror than technical."  

That's simply awful.

The aircraft started its journey on Wednesday in Asmara, capital of Eritrea.

MS804 landed Tuesday evening in Cairo, according to Flightradar24.

It took off again at 01:30 GMT for the Egyptian capital where it landed two hours and 32 minutes later.

Just over two hours later, at 6:21 GMT, he left for Tunis, a flight of three hours and 12 minutes. After only one hour and two minutes stopover, MS804 returned to Cairo at 1:17 p.m. GMT after two hours and 24 minute ride, according to Flightradar24.

His stopover in Cairo lasted this time less than two hours and it took off for Paris-Charles de Gaulle where it landed at 19:55 GMT, according to the records. He took off from the French capital at 23:00.

What an horrible tragedy. God bless their souls.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36333664

EgyptAir crash: Plane wreckage found near Greek island

The Airbus A320 was en route from Paris to Cairo with 66 passengers and crew when it went down overnight.

Egyptian Vice-President Ahmed Adel told CNN the rescue operation was "turning into a search and recovery".

Officials say the plane is more likely to have been brought down by a terrorist act than a technical fault.

It made two sharp turns and dropped more than 25,000ft (7,620m) before plunging into the Mediterranean Sea, Greek Defence Minister Panos Kammenos told reporters.

Search teams in the area have sighted debris from the plane, including life jackets.

"There have been finds south-east of Crete, inside the Cairo flight information area," Greek army general staff spokesman Vassilis Beletsiotis told AFP news agency.

The search in seas south of the Greek island of Karpathos involves Greek and Egyptian naval forces, and the British Royal Air Force.

Sixty-six people were on board Flight MS804, most of them from Egypt and France. A Briton was among the passengers.

Mr Kammenos said: "The picture we have at the moment on the accident as it emerges from the Greek air force operations centre is that the aircraft was approximately 10-15 miles inside the Egyptian FIR [flight information region] and at an altitude of 37,000 feet.

"It turned 90 degrees left and then a 360-degree turn toward the right, dropping from 37,000 to 15,000 feet and then it was lost at about 10,000 feet."

Egyptian Aviation Minister Sherif Fathi said: "Let's not try to jump to the side that is trying to identify this as a technical failure - on the contrary.

"If you analyse the situation properly, the possibility of having a different action, or having a terror attack, is higher than the possibility of having a technical [fault]."

The aircraft started its journey on Wednesday in Asmara, capital of Eritrea.

MS804 landed Tuesday evening in Cairo, according to Flightradar24.

It took off again at 01:30 GMT for the Egyptian capital where it landed two hours and 32 minutes later.

Just over two hours later, at 6:21 GMT, he left for Tunis, a flight of three hours and 12 minutes. After only one hour and two minutes stopover, MS804 returned to Cairo at 1:17 p.m. GMT after two hours and 24 minute ride, according to Flightradar24.

His stopover in Cairo lasted this time less than two hours and it took off for Paris-Charles de Gaulle where it landed at 19:55 GMT, according to the records. He took off from the French capital at 23:00.

What an horrible tragedy. God bless their souls.

So really could've been any of these.  Curious to find out of it was barametrically operated or if it was command or what.

Either way, somewhere along the lines you'd have to think this is some kind of an insider job.

Horrible.  I just don't see how anyone could've survived being at that altitude for that long with no cabin pressure at a minimum.  There is a special place in hell for people who do stuff like this.

http://news.sky.com/story/1698511/wreckage-from-missing-egyptair-flight-found

Wreckage From Missing EgyptAir Flight Found

The airline expresses its "deepest sorrow" after wreckage found near Karpathos Island is confirmed as belonging to Flight MS804.

Wreckage from EgyptAir Flight MS804 has been found near the Greek island of Karpathos, the airline has confirmed.

EgyptAir has released a statement saying it received an official letter from the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirming the discovery of the wreckage.

The statement adds: "EgyptAir sincerely conveys its deepest sorrow to the families and friends of the passengers onboard Flight MS804.

*Click Link For More* 

So really could've been any of these.  Curious to find out of it was barametrically operated or if it was command or what.

Either way, somewhere along the lines you'd have to think this is some kind of an insider job.

Horrible.  I just don't see how anyone could've survived being at that altitude for that long with no cabin pressure at a minimum.  There is a special place in hell for people who do stuff like this.

You nailed it. Knowing its journey, experts are saying that it's impossible to secure an aircraft like this one to the point it becomes totally safe. Those people, man, they just had time to realize they were dying. So horrible, and for the families too.

RIP

Archived