Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Egypt Air flight 804 crashes

Springfield

I think it's interesting that yet again, terrorists RANDOMLY targeted an innocent mostly-Muslim group of people with no particular affiliation to sect, political beliefs, etc.

Astute observers have long noticed that Muslims have by far been the group most targeted by terrorism.

But rather than focus on this, I'm willing to bet that most of the media will let this devolve into yet anothIslam-bashing party.

The discussion should really be, Why do terrorists hate Muslims so much? That would be more productive, and accurate, IMHO. We really should take the opportunity to continue to drive a wedge between terrorists and their so-called muslim brethren, rather than do the the terrorists the favor of lumping them together.

Am I the only one who doesn't think this is terror related at all?

I've heard why people think it is but the lack of anyone taking responsibility makes it somewhat odd.  Terrorism is as much about the message as the act itself, so if this is terrorism I imagine they'll have to find something that makes it clear.  Then again it could also be an intentional act of mass murder, like Andreas Lubitz, that isn't terrorism.   Could also be an accident that experts consider unlikely. 

I'm not convinced of anything at this point, and really there is no need for me to be.  I'm sure they'll tell us if they figure it out. 

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/d961bc75c7d24b6c9f4efcc4fc056eb7/egypt-army-says-plane-wreckage-found-near-alexandria#overlay-context=users/ssiek

Searchers find body parts, seats, luggage from Egyptian jet

Search crews found floating human remains, luggage and seats from the doomed EgyptAir jetliner Friday but face a potentially more complex task in locating bigger pieces of wreckage and the black boxes vital to determining why the plane plunged into the Mediterranean.

An aviation industry publication, meanwhile, reported that sensors detected smoke in a lavatory, suggesting a fire onboard before the aircraft went down.

Looking for clues to whether terrorists brought down EgyptAir Flight 804 and its 66 people aboard, investigators pored over the passenger list and questioned ground crew members at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris, where the plane took off.

The Airbus A320 had been cruising normally in clear skies on a nighttime flight to Cairo early Thursday when it suddenly lurched left, then right, spun all the way around and plummeted 38,000 feet (11,582.4 meters) into the sea, never issuing a distress signal.

In Egypt, home to 30 of the victims, grieving families and friends wondered if their loved ones would ever be recovered. Many gathered in mosques for Salat al-Ghaib, or "prayers for the absent," held for the dead whose bodies have not been found.

"This is what is ripping our hearts apart, when we think about it. When someone you love so much dies, at least you have a body to bury. But we have no body until now," said Sherif al-Metanawi, a childhood friend of the pilot, Mohammed Shoukair.

Egyptian authorities said they believe terrorism is a more likely explanation than equipment failure, and some aviation experts have said the erratic flight suggests a bomb blast or a struggle in the ****pit. But so far no hard evidence has emerged.

No militant group has claimed to have brought down the aircraft. That is a contrast to the downing of a Russian jet in October over Egypt's Sinai Peninsula that killed 224 people. In that case, the Islamic State group's branch in Sinai issued a claim of responsibility within hours. On Friday, IS issued a statement on clashes with the Egyptian military in Sinai, but nothing about the plane.

Three European security officials said the passenger manifest for Flight 804 contained no names on terrorism watch lists. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the investigation. The manifest was leaked online and has not been verified by the airline.

What even happens to luggage that's found in the ocean? Does it get returned to the family members?

I can't even handle when the plane starts descending and dropping some few thousand feet to prepare landing, I can't even begin to imagine how it would feel being on a plane that turns left, then right, then spins around, then plummets in to the ocean...imagine watching a movie on the plane, not even knowing what's happening. RIP to everyone from the flight :(

I on the same page as Kilmer - the ACARS messages are interesting and the plane was still flying after receipt of messages and able to send ACARS. Laptop battery exploding in ****pict?

At the same time nearly everyone jumped on the terrorism angle right away.

Looks like black boxes have been found - mentally I think terrorism is easier on the mind. A ****pit incident is harder to deal with mentally.

Dont understand with the strict rules and regs how people can still get bombs on these planes. Makes me sick.

What do you mean? A year ago an agency testing our very own TSA had something like a 95% success rate sneaking bombs past the TSA.

Edit: Sorry it was banned items and 67 out of 70 made it through.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/politics/tsa-failed-undercover-airport-screening-tests/

Disagree 100%

I think for some it's easier to believe in evil people operating with intent, than it is to accept that so many lives can be wiped out by simple chance or accident. Believing in an evil adversary gives us an enemy to fight, something to blame, and in some ways a death with greater dignity than if it were caused by someone tightening a screw too much or too little.

I think for some it's easier to believe in evil people operating with intent, than it is to accept that so many lives can be wiped out by simple chance or accident. Believing in an evil adversary gives us an enemy to fight, something to blame, and in some ways a death with greater dignity than if it were caused by someone tightening a screw too much or too little.

Mechanical issues are something that can be corrected and avoided.

Just my opinion.

Just my opinion.

Almost all 'accidents' can be corrected and avoided. The issue, that ties them all together, is that eventually a person has a responsibility that they don't hold up.

Very rarely do things happen and no one is at fault...

Just my opinion.

Which do you think we'll stop first, accidental death or Islamic terrorism?   :)

I agree with you guys btw, I am far more concerned with terrorism on a plane than accidents.  I'm just not sure if the reason is because terrorism is scarier or because there isn't a single thing I can do about mechanical accidents.  It's not like they are going to let me supervise a systems check of the aircraft.  If the wings fall off, I'm dead and there was never a thing I could have done about it. 

I'm at peace with that though, I don't need a bad guy to blame for all the world's wrong.  I just think some people prefer that there is.

Which do you think we'll stop first, accidental death or Islamic terrorism? :)

I agree with you guys btw, I am far more concerned with terrorism on a plane than accidents. I'm just not sure if the reason is because terrorism is scarier or because there isn't a single thing I can do about mechanical accidents. It's not like they are going to let me supervise a systems check of the aircraft. If the wings fall off, I'm dead and there was never a thing I could have done about it.

I'm at peace with that though, I don't need a bad guy to blame for all the world's wrong. I just think some people prefer that there is.

Your last paragraph is one of the more self righteous things I've seen on a while especially when reading the 2nd. Lol

To answer your question in the 1st paragraph, i am not sure.

I was speaking more to kinggibbs point, in that people, when traveling, fear terrorism more than a mechanical failure. There's really no point in arguing which view is right or wrong.

I don't even really think about either issue. Of course, i only fly once every 7 years on average.

Your last paragraph is one of the more self righteous things I've seen on a while especially when reading the 2nd. Lol

To answer your question in the 1st paragraph, i am not sure.

I was speaking more to kinggibbs point, in that people, when traveling, fear terrorism more than a mechanical failure. There's really no point in arguing which view is right or wrong.

I don't even really think about either issue. Of course, i only fly once every 7 years on average.

I'm not sure that's even the most self righteous thing I've written today :)

I think that you're seeing an argument where I did not intend to make one. My mistake. There is no right view on this, just different views.

As for thinking on a plane, I'm the sort that pretends turbulence is merely a bumpy road. I enter a bubble of delusion the moment I step on a plane, and I'm very happy living in my world of lies for the duration of the flight.

As for thinking on a plane, I'm the sort that pretend turbulence is merely a bumpy road. I enter a bubble of delusion the moment I step on a plane, and I very happy living in my world of lies for the duration of the flight.

This LOL.  I fly to Denver almost once a month, as a matter of fact I leave tomorrow.  I don't think about terrorism or mechanical failure to be honest.  I **** about going through security, try and stop for a beer or two for my flight, then live in my own world of lies for the duration of the flight.

My own terrorism worry is watching the very large people board the plane and wonder if they are the one who will be sitting next to me with their warmth and touch and sweat for four hours.  For some reason I am never blessed with a petite beautiful women who just wants to settle in for a nice chat.

Archived