Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Proposal: Let's Retire "You Like That!" (*UPDATE*: WaPo Picks Up OP)

Duckus

Not directed to anyone in particular, but folks need to get over Cobb and people "mocking" us with it. Come on now. Players do that with anything catchphrase or signature related for any team. Every time Cincy or New Orleans loses they have to hear opposing teams and their fans laughing about "who dey" and "who dat". Panthers fans have to see defenses do Newton's "Superman" dance every other time he gets sacked. How many of us have sarcastically thrown out a "How 'bout them Cowboys!?" when Dallas screws something up? If you want to retire it because it has a special meaning to the 2015 campaign and keeping it going would just dilute the memory then fine. But don't get butthurt because people "mock" us with it. That just means that it got traction; that it had weight. It's part of the price of success.

I don't give a **** about what other fans say.

I am worried that we take a fun organic moment and the Redskins PR machine turns it into something lame, overplayed campaign. Then it just becomes sad and a memory I want to forget.

Maybe I am just broken from All In For Week 1 - and the adidas corporate bull**** sideshow that became. But that is sort of bad idea I want to avoid.

I hope it peeks it head back, but part of the reason it took off was its defiance.

If we become a good team... then "You like that!" becomes unnecessary. It was a challenge to those doubting him, the team, and that the Redskins could ever be contenders.

I do hope that "You like that!" has a longer lifespan than Griffining.

This thread makes me laugh. Would you have started it if we'd won? I like seeing the passion back, who cares what other teams think?

1) No. I would not have started it. Because the season would still be going on. As I said, this was an awesome part of THIS season. Now that the season is over, I am saying we retire it as a 2015 moment and not drag it out and make it overused and lame.

2) I don't care what other teams or fans think. See posts. 

if kirk goes on to have a long productive stellar career, then i think it will have some staying power

i don't think that it will stay as the team's rallying cry, but i can see fans chanting it when kirk does something amazing, or ever does something like big ben did against the bengals (come off the bench injured and lead a game winning field goal drive)

i will be leading the "you like that" chants in canton in 2036 if anyone else wants to book the trip with me, should be able to get a good deal if booking early, i assume all airlines will still be perfectly solvent then

I completely agree.  Exactly like the Saints Who Dat.

Just need Kirk pregame with a huddle of Redskins around him going

"YOU LIKE THAT"

"WHO"

"YOU LIKE THAT"

"WHO"

"WHAT DO WE DO"

"WIN"

"WHO LIKE THAT"

"YOU LIKE THAT"

"YOU"

"YOU"

"LIKE"

"LIKE"

"THAT"

"THAT"

and then run on the field

Put it in a nice little box in the closet.

Keep it stored there until we know for sure Kirk is our future.  If we make the playoffs again next year, bring it back.  Keep quiet with it every year until we lead the division, then bring it out as a rallying cry.

In hindsight we should be lucky that it was Randall Cobb who ended up being the one to retire it.  Can you imagine if we had drawn the Seahawks and they did us in our own house and we would have had to watch Sherman and his antics in relation to "You Like That?!" Mockery? 

"You Like That?!" kind of stuff is always a one-season thing.  As an A's fan watching Coco Crisp doing 'The Bernie" during the epic 2012 run was really fun but when they were bounced in the playoffs so was "The Bernie," Fans tried to resurrect it the following season but it wasn't the same and it quickly withered away.

"You Like That?!" worked in 2015 because it was authentic. It wasn't planned, it wasn't worked out prior.  It was an emotional outburst after a crazy comeback that was said on the way back to the locker room.  In all honesty there was a good chance that it would have never seen the light of day had the media not decided to re-post it.

There's nothing wrong with it, but it is time to move on from it.

In my opinion, it was something aimed more at the media -- highlighting it to those doubters how the Skins (and Cousins) were capable of winning a bunch of games.

So as regards the Skins 2015 season, "I liked that!"

... But now "I'd like to move on!"

Once the Skins get another new slogan, this one will be retired. Over the next season, I suspect to hear a little bit of dissing using that slogan, but hopefully if the team wins a lot, it will probably remedy that tactic.

Not directed to anyone in particular, but folks need to get over Cobb and people "mocking" us with it. Come on now. Players do that with anything catchphrase or signature related for any team. Every time Cincy or New Orleans loses they have to hear opposing teams and their fans laughing about "who dey" and "who dat". Panthers fans have to see defenses do Newton's "Superman" dance every other time he gets sacked. How many of us have sarcastically thrown out a "How 'bout them Cowboys!?" when Dallas screws something up? If you want to retire it because it has a special meaning to the 2015 campaign and keeping it going would just dilute the memory then fine. But don't get butthurt because people "mock" us with it. That just means that it got traction; that it had weight. It's part of the price of success.

Personally, I'm not bothered by people mocking us with "you like that". I post about how they shouldn't be mocking us, but I say that in a non serious matter. I too say "how bout them cowboys" whenever they lose :P it's hilarious. So I would be a pretty big hypocrite if I was ACTUALLY mad about Randall Cobb mocking us

It will more or less die this off season, book it. Yes, opposing teams will use it against us, but that will fade too. These types of things never exist in intensity beyond the time period they occur.

It may always linger a bit for KC himself and I'm sure every game SOMEONE on one side or the other will mention it or yell it at him, but we won't see the memes, merch, media requests etc.

I'm glad it happened. As others have said, it was totally organic and neither KC or the team had anything to do with it becoming a trendy thing. People thought it was funny and then KC and the team ran with it. It was cool.

Maybe someday it will surface again when KC hoists the Lombardi trophy :)

Archived