Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Times: Josh Norman’s Defense Uncovers Odell Beckham Jr.’s Dark Side

MassSkinsFan

http://http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/21/sports/football/josh-normans-defense-uncovers-odell-beckhams-dark-side.html

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Odell Beckham Jr. wowed fans last year as he compiled a record-setting rookie season despite having missed the off-season and the first four games of the regular season with a hamstring injury. Appreciation for his brilliance increased as his speed, elusiveness and penchant for photogenic one-handed grabs allowed him to stitch together six consecutive 100-yard receiving games, two shy of the N.F.L. record set by Calvin Johnson of the Detroit Lions in 2012.

But after Beckham became frustrated early in Sunday’s game against the undefeated Carolina Panthers, he unveiled a darker side of his personality that most likely disturbed some fans and led several members of the Panthers to call for the league to suspend him.

...more at link...

The plays I saw from highlights of yesterday's game show me a guy who's lost his mind to an extent. He was obviously not being rational, and let his emotions get the best of him, especially on that flying head-to-head spear job. 

So my question is this: has Beckham always been like this, or is this a new thing, possibly related to a head injury? I know he had his bell rung against the Cowpukes this season, and there was even a mini-controversy about him not following the concussion protocol (which I'm sure John Mara took care of right away LOL):

http://www.sportsworldnews.com/articles/46904/20150914/new-york-giants-rumors-odell-beckham-jr-played-with-possible-concussion-against-cowboys-video.htm

Do any of our Giants fan friends have insight into this? One-off, or has the guy changed?

I see it as egotistical hype and believing he is above the rules of the game. He needs to be reeled in. The media creates these people by ESPN top 10 plays. When things don't go their way the spoiled brat jock comes out.

He's a Giant what do you want me to say? He's a jackass.

He is an exceptional player but showed his immaturity yesterday in his antics and cheap shots. The intentional helmet to helmet shot was dangerous and uncalled for.

Agreed - there were actually two. In addition to the one making all the recaps, there was one where the two of them were crossing the middle and Beckham, ahead by a few steps, sees the pass won't be coming to him, slows to let Norman catch up, then jumps up, helmet to helmet and conks him on the head. That happened with about 11:00 left in the 1st quarter.

The refs really messed up here.  There a few early plays that they should have thrown flags against both players, but they didn't and then things just escalated.    Based on the talk leading up to the game and the reputations both players had,  I was surprised that the refs didn't get flag happy earlier.

Note I am not excusing the idiotic, moronic, imbecilic, and dangerous things that OBJ did, rather just saying the refs should have put a stop to it earlier.

This is one of those instances where the league needs to make a statement against a league darling. A 1 game suspension isn't enough, he shouldn't play the rest of the season, alas he plays for the Giants and that won't happen.

I'd actually be a little surprised if he is suspended rather than fined (mostly because he's a star player in the NFL and for NYG).

I'm O'Dell Beckham and i read my clippings. i'm already in the Hall of Fame because i made a catch last year, and the TV has been talking me up all year long again, and now I'm being shutdown in the single most hyped matchup of the week.

I haven't caught a pass against this guy, I'm losing and I don't like it.

I guess I'll act like a selfish prick who believes his own hype and is getting his ass kicked.

~O'Dell

O'Dell just made himself a target.  Players will be targeting him mentally and physically for the rest of his career.  They found a huge chink in his armor.  Additionally he took a cheap shot not looked at kindly among other players (by what I've read/heard).  They will all be trying to make him their ****. 

O'Dell just made himself a target.  Players will be targeting him mentally and physically for the rest of his career.  They found a huge chink in his armor.  Additionally he took a cheap shot not looked at kindly among other players (by what I've read/heard).  They will all be trying to make him their ****. 

It will be interesting to see how the league responds to this.  

Yeah we better beat the Eagles. Imagine if we lose and then the league suspends him for the Eagles game and then they lose.

He's probably going to be suspended for the Vikings game but he can appeal and it'll take them a while to decide on it so it could happen.

The refs really messed up here.  There a few early plays that they should have thrown flags against both players, but they didn't and then things just escalated.    Based on the talk leading up to the game and the reputations both players had,  I was surprised that the refs didn't get flag happy earlier.

Note I am not excusing the idiotic, moronic, imbecilic, and dangerous things that OBJ did, rather just saying the refs should have put a stop to it earlier.

Yeah, was in a restaurant, watching TVs with the sound off. But looking at some "highlights", I saw a PAIR of players who, at the least, deserved one of those "mutual unsportsmanlike" calls that seems to be the NFL's code word for "next one who pulls that is getting ejected".

Not defending Beckam. That flagrant helmet shot ought to earn a much bigger punishment. Just saying that if the zebras had stepped in earlier, it might not have escalated that far.

b-b-b-but... they had BATS in the pregame! And one of them pointed at me!

~Waah

The excuses coming from the giants were transparent and ridiculous.  One of them said a gay slur!  Does anyone anywhere believe Odell lost his damn mind because he heard a gay slur or felt threatened?  No.  He had a few big drops, Norman chirped at him, and he went zero chill for all the cameras to see. 

The excuses coming from the giants were transparent and ridiculous.  One of them said a gay slur!  Does anyone anywhere believe Odell lost his damn mind because he heard a gay slur or felt threatened?  No.  He had a few big drops, Norman chirped at him, and he went zero chill for all the cameras to see.

That **** show he put on on the sidelines after scoring the tying TD showed all I needed to know about where his priorities lie. It was vulgar.

Archived