Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you give money to homeless people?

Springfield

I think a better question might have been "what do you give to the needy". Charities, non profits (like mine), pan handlers, etc.

For example, we've been seeing a lot about homeless vets lately. There are hundreds of programs to make sure they're not homeless, but thanks to mental illness, a lot are on the street. 

If I have spare change or cash, I'll give it to them. I tend to give money to homeless women a lot more as they are often victims of domestic abuse who have truly lost almost all their support system.

If I am out eating, I'll always give away my leftovers provided the food wasn't too high on sugar or its not too hard to chew.

I rarely give anyone any money.

If I'm at a stoplight and there's a homeless person with a sign that says, "Anything helps" I usually will throw them a water bottle or an energy bar from my car. 

I think a better question might have been "what do you give to the needy". Charities, non profits (like mine), pan handlers, etc.

Yea that's a huge distinction. 

For various reasons I have to treat people on the street a certain way for my own safety and to avoid hustlers. 

If I am out eating, I'll always give away my leftovers provided the food wasn't too high on sugar or its not too hard to chew.

Interesting, not something I would ever consider. Hmm.

I do wonder if they try to barter the food. One summer in Vegas, I felt the need to buy the guy a water for the food because of hot it was there. As I was walking away he was immediately crushing the Rueben that my wife only ate half of.

"The Gospel takes away our right forever, to discriminate between the deserving and the undeserving poor." - Dorthy Day

Been one of my mantras for awhile now. I wish it was earlier in my life. If I give, I know I'm putting myself at risk of being scammed. I'm sure I have on several occasions, but I can't worry about that. That's on them.

Yeah, I usually do....though certainly prefer making sure it is a need met for larger sums.

Folk helped us when we were kids.

I kinda didn't want to include charities, non profits, soup kitchens, etc... Those are easier to justify as being in the up and up. You can't say what panhandlers will do.

I park about about a mile from work and walk in. One of the Churches I pass by must provide shelter for the homeless because I've seen the same three people leaving it over the last few days. They're obviously homeless.

I was thinking about throwing each of them a 20 spot one day, since it's the Christmas season. Didn't know if that was usual or not.

I seldom give money to the homeless myself. Every now and again I'll throw a couple of bucks down. Often times though, I don't have any cash on me to give.

If I am caught in a situation where giving anything but cash is impossible, I will err on the side of generosity. However, in areas  that have a lot of homeless and drug/alcohol addictions, you could actually be doing them a wrong to give them cash because it is wasted on those addictions.

Better to work toward helping the homeless through a shelter and soup kitchen and point them there (or take them) than give cash.

The unshakeable belief that most homeless people are scam artists comes from the same part of the American psyche as the stories about someone's uncle's brothers friend's sister standing in line at the grocery store and seeing people using food stamps to buy champagne and filet mignon, then driving away in a brand new cadillac.  

I knew a well educated attorney who was unshakably convinced that the average panhandler makes over 40k per year just sitting there with their hand out.  

I kinda didn't want to include charities, non profits, soup kitchens, etc... Those are easier to justify as being in the up and up. You can't say what panhandlers will do.

I park about about a mile from work and walk in. One of the Churches I pass by must provide shelter for the homeless because I've seen the same three people leaving it over the last few days. They're obviously homeless.

I was thinking about throwing each of them a 20 spot one day, since it's the Christmas season. Didn't know if that was usual or not.

I seldom give money to the homeless myself. Every now and again I'll throw a couple of bucks down. Often times though, I don't have any cash on me to give.

Be careful. Some choose to be homeless and may get insulted by your charity. For real. My church takes part in a ministry called WARM (Wrap Arms Round Many) with other churches and we host homeless overflow from the shelters overnight for a week at a time, along with breakfast and dinner. You'd be surprised how many choose to be homeless, have laptops and smartphones, but just can't afford "big" purchases like homes or rent. And the mental health conditions are way more prominent among them too.

Worst that can happen - I lose a few bucks to a lost cause (not the first lost cause my money has chased after)

Best that can happen - Someone who really, really needs it get a few bucks and it makes their day a little better

Having a brain disease, and so a modicum of experience with the old melon not working on all cylinders, I can't express enough how sad it makes me to see people say stuff like "a perfectly healthy looking guy" when referencing a homeless person.  It's not perfectly healthy to be living in your car bumming money in front of kmart.  Something is wrong - maybe it is just that rare exceedingly lazy, worthless person but the odds say it's not.

There are a charlatans throughout society, involved with big money and small.  You can let them dictate your behavior to societies and your own detriment or not.   I'm not down with begrudging thousands of homeless people on the one example of someone who threw away a breakfast sandwich, anymore than I am in cutting off all food stamps because of the tool, in line in front of that facebook friend of yours, who bought lobster.   (predicto beat me to this one)

I do give them money occasionally.  Wish I had enough to do more.  

If I am caught in a situation where giving anything but cash is impossible, I will err on the side of generosity. However, in areas  that have a lot of homeless and drug/alcohol addictions, you could actually be doing them a wrong to give them cash because it is wasted on those addictions.

Better to work toward helping the homeless through a shelter and soup kitchen and point them there (or take them) than give cash.

This is my problem.  Not with them being scammers or whatever, but with enabling that awful lifestyle.  

San Francisco has a horrible homeless problem.   In many ways the City is a trap.  People who live here here tend to be wealthy and tolerant.  The weather is good, people give to panhandlers, and there are lots of public services, so you can survive on the streets in a way that you can't most places.  This attracts people who are down on their luck from all over the country.  

However, it is incredibly difficult ever to break that cycle and turn your life around here.  Rents are far too expensive.  If you are homeless in, say, Cincinnati, you might be able to scrape up some cash, get a minimum wage job and a cheap apartment, and turn your life around eventually.  No way you could do that here.   So our homeless rarely transition back to a normal lifestyle unless they return to wherever they came from.  It's a lot easier just to keep panhandling and sleeping in a doorway.  

I wish I knew what the answer is, if there is one.

We have a few "regulars" around here ... normally I am against giving them cash.   However one day I saw one of these guys picking up cigarette butts.   So when I spotted him again I gave him a few dollars and mentioned that to him.   There's also this other guy who seems to have some type of severe stunted growth (sort of like Vern Troyer, but worse as he doesn't seem to be able to stand up normally)   I will also give him a few bucks when I have it on hand feel like it.    These guys also have decent hygene and don't carry along unsightly belongings (i.e., the shopping cart with the plastic bags)..   The way I see it, we're pretty much always going to have homeless but its better to have the "good" type of homeless than the total bums/drug addicts. 

Had flashbacks to people asking for exact change, like "Do you have 37 cents you can spare?".

I live in Portsmouth, so you have to be very aware of where your counting money at. If you're near a bus stop, maybe, good chance you're legitimately short.

I'd like to see more research into the number of single homeless individuals with mental disorders and/or addictions. As others have mentioned, its not as easy as it sounds to just "turn your life around".

I really wish more people gave money to the panhandlers.  They usually don't have very much.  I've found that when I need a few bucks I can just run up and take money from them.  I usually go for the disabled ones because they put up less of a fight.  Problem is lately I have to roll 3 or 4 of them to get enough money.  Life sucks sometimes.

The unshakeable belief that most homeless people are scam artists comes from the same part of the American psyche as the stories about someone's uncle's brothers friend's sister standing in line at the grocery store and seeing people using food stamps to buy champagne and filet mignon, then driving away in a brand new cadillac.  

True, but you obviously have a different experience dealing with people on the street then other people. 

For example:

This is my problem.  

Your problem is a privileged problem. In most areas, I would just call it a white problem.  :)

My problems dealing with the homeless and people on the street are obviously different then yours. 

True, but you obviously have a different experience dealing with people on the street then other people. 

For example:

Your problem is a privileged problem. In most areas, I would just call it a white problem.  :)

My problems dealing with the homeless and people on the street are obviously different then yours. 

Could you elaborate?  I'm not sure what you are getting at.  

Archived