Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you give money to homeless people?

Springfield

Had flashbacks to people asking for exact change, like "Do you have 37 cents you can spare?".

I live in Portsmouth, so you have to be very aware of where your counting money at. If you're near a bus stop, maybe, good chance you're legitimately short.

I'd like to see more research into the number of single homeless individuals with mental disorders and/or addictions. As others have mentioned, its not as easy as it sounds to just "turn your life around".

I don't have stats on the mental disorder proportion, but when we host about 25 folks, about a dozen have various issues, mostly severe OCD, bi-polar, or paranoid. One guy told me this year that the gov't has spent millions of dollars to have the 3-4 million people he's run into in his 50 year life to just mess with him. No exageration. A lot of those are homeless also because their family either can't take care of them or won't.

I don't have stats on the mental disorder proportion, but when we host about 25 folks, about a dozen have various issues, mostly severe OCD, bi-polar, or paranoid. One guy told me this year that the gov't has spent millions of dollars to have the 3-4 million people he's run into in his 50 year life to just mess with him. No exageration. A lot of those are homeless also because their family either can't take care of them or won't.

I feel like a not small percentage of those people get put on buses with one way tickets to San Francisco.  

Could you elaborate?  I'm not sure what you are getting at.  

A homeless person, or someone who lives on the street won't try and relate to you in anyway. They won't try and hang out with you, try and be your friend for example. (and use that to try and rob you later or worse) They won't try and recruit or invite you for some criminal **** either.

I hate being bothered by someone on street, and not just because I don't want to look or talk to icky homeless people, but because I get different reactions. If they're ghetto or hard, they'll talk to me for real. Ask me who I run with, where I'm from, etc. Ask questions and try and put me in bad situations. 

The first month in Seattle this guy pulled a gun on me because I had a grey colored gloves sticking out of my pants. He had such a severe limp I thought he couldn't be serious running up on me because it looked like he either had a prosthetic leg or needed one, but he did. I honestly doubt if the gun was working or had any bullets. Guy looked like he was in rough shape and was hangin a gas station with a woman who looked worse. Took a hostile moment for him to figure out they were just gloves, and I was in no way affiliated with any gang and wasn't from the area. 

I would have to roll up in a Rolls Royce for someone to perceive me as just a middle-class America to someone on the street.

I feel like a not small percentage of those people get put on buses with one way tickets to San Francisco.  

Nah, its pretty much everywhere. Here in our county, there are about 120,000 people (pretty rural in most places), but there are about 2,500 homeless. There's a couple of tent cities.

Not on the side of the street. But there are several homeless people in my area who sometimes come to my door and ask for money or work. If I have cash, I usually can find some simple work for them to earn a few dollars. Sometimes just raking leaves or just pulling weeds. 

I have become friendly with a couple of them over the years. Very friendly. I am happy to help if I can.

A homeless person, or someone who lives on the street won't try and relate to you in anyway. They won't try and hang out with you, try and be your friend for example. (and use that to try and rob you later or worse) They won't try and recruit or invite you for some criminal **** either.

I hate being bothered by someone on street, and not just because I don't want to look or talk to icky homeless people, but because I get different reactions. If they're ghetto or hard, they'll talk to me for real. Ask me who I run with, where I'm from, etc. Ask questions and try and put me in bad situations. 

The first month in Seattle this guy pulled a gun on me because I had a grey colored gloves sticking out of my pants. He had such a severe limp I thought he couldn't be serious running up on me because it looked like he either had a prosthetic leg or needed one, but he did. I honestly doubt if the gun was working or had any bullets. Guy looked like he was in rough shape and was hangin a gas station with a woman who looked worse. Took a hostile moment for him to figure out they were just gloves, and I was in no way affiliated with any gang and wasn't from the area. 

I would have to roll up in a Rolls Royce for someone to perceive me as just a middle-class America to someone on the street.

Oh, I see.   Fair enough.  

All the time,to damn near anyone who asks.

I cannot imagine how humiliated they must feel. I had to sleep in my car for about a month once(I had friends who let me shower & do laundry), but even that was...humiliating. That's a huge part of our pride as part of the human race...we are social, but we all truly want to be able to care for ourselves.

Wondering if this changes anyone's answers. Since the OP specified "homeless", how about those who approach, and are admittedly not homeless, yet they come up with this familiar ( and long and seemingly rehearsed) story, about how their car broke down miles down the road or ran out of gas, etc etc (insert elaborate details about how everything that could possibly go wrong on their day, went tragically wrong)

Sometimes if I have some change on me.  But I've had bad experiences with homeless (and others looking for money) people following me around either asking me weird questions or continuing to ask me for more money every time they see me, and I've seen a lot that acted pretty crazy.

I've also seen a few guys pretending to be crippled running around elsewhere, though I don't really care too much.

I'm more worried about being harassed or attacked.

If I have it on me I will hand them the help wanted section of the newspaper as i am stepping over them on my way to whatever important business I am doing at the time. Knowledge is worth far more to them than cash.

To make sure they don't confuse my generosity as a blanket or toilet paper I make sure to note "get a job pal" as I walk away.

Wondering if this changes anyone's answers. Since the OP specified "homeless", how about those who approach, and are admittedly not homeless, yet they come up with this familiar ( and long and seemingly rehearsed) story, about how their car broke down miles down the road or ran out of gas, etc etc (insert elaborate details about how everything that could possibly go wrong on their day, went tragically wrong)

One has to be discerning of course, as best you can. But just like the homeless, in most cases, I'd rather be taken a hundred times instead of refusing a legitimate need one time.

Hebrews 13:1-6

Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body. Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous. Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we can confidently say,

“The Lord is my helper;

I will not fear;

what can man do to me?”

I do not, I've had 2 incidents in my life that cemented it for me.

First, one of my friends is a city councilman.  Each year, at Christmas time, there are tons of people with the "will work for food signs" out. He told me that the police had arrested quite a few of them because they were pulling in up to 1K on a Friday-Sunday.  Most were not homeless, just doing it for the money. 

Second, I saw a woman asking for money because she needed to feed her kids. She was wearing ratty clothes etc... A few days later, I saw her, dressed nice, getting out of her nice car at Target in a city right beside mine.  No doubt it was the same person.

While I realize that not all people on the street asking for money are scamming, those 2 things have always stuck with me.

One has to be discerning of course, as best you can. But just like the homeless, in most cases, I'd rather be taken a hundred times instead of refusing a legitimate need one time.

What I really meant to quote was your Hebrews quote...it didn't come through, but anyway...

Like I said, I'd rather be happy knowing that I did something to help someone. I'm not giving to a church who chooses the people that decides where my gift goes. I'll make that choice,...and I don't friggin' judge who is worthy.

Anyone that struggles to eat or sleep peacefully deserves NO JUDGMENT FROM US...or more specifically, ME.

I do sometimes.  It depends.

There was a guy in Arlington I used to give spare change to, then I saw him riding a bike down Wilson boulevard one day.  I then saw him in Starbucks on a little laptop and he had a cell phone too.  **** that.  

There's a guy who conveniently posts up outside of the PNC Bank on North Lynn in Arlington around lunchtime each day.  He comes off as pretty smug, I never give him any money.  

A couple years ago I was in Georgetown and walked into Subway to get a sandwich after a meeting and there was a homeless guy asking me to buy him something so I told him I would.  I told him to stay there, I'd be right back and as I walked into the store he shouted "Hey, can you make it a footlong??" I rolled my eyes and pretended not to hear him.  He then proceeded to follow me into the store and order his sandwich the way he wanted it and didn't even say thank you.

Sometimes I give a dollar or some change, sometimes I don't, it just depends on the situation.  There's been a homeless guy who hangs out in front of a 7-11 I visit pretty often, I usually get him a bottle of water.  He asked me for cigarettes one day and seemed pissed when I came out with a water and a Big Bite for him.  I told him I wouldn't spend money on cigarettes for him.  

NEVER! And I am very adamant about that. That being said, in Montgomery County it's important to recognize the difference between panhandlers and the homeless. Panhandling has become very big business for vultures while people are stopped at traffic lights. There's a panhandler who works the corner of Wisconsin Ave and Pooks Hill Rd that makes enough money to afford a very nice condo just up the road. That's right. He panhandles on the corner in the morning and goes home to his very nice condo after just a few hours. I've watched him do it. It makes me sick when I see people give him money.

I never give money to the pro panhandlers like that group that's always in the bethesda area.  This group or family has women that wear long denim skirts and they've been carrying the same ****ing sign for 7 years.   

I do however give money to the homeless.  I usually give them a 10 spot and tell them to grab a sammich and a 40.   

What I really meant to quote was your Hebrews quote...it didn't come through, but anyway...

Like I said, I'd rather be happy knowing that I did something to help someone. I'm not giving to a church who chooses the people that decides where my gift goes. I'll make that choice,...and I don't friggin' judge who is worthy.

Anyone that struggles to eat or sleep peacefully deserves NO JUDGMENT FROM US...or more specifically, ME.

Just to clarify, the quote was intended to express more of vv. 1-3, 5-6, but verse 4 just happened to be in the middle. Wasn't intended to get you upset or anything.

You can't take the subway here without seeing a homeless beggar. I did give to one guy who looked like he had proof he was a former veteran. I hope the card was real. But otherwise, you want McDonald's sure - you want to spend on booze - hell no.

The thing is I'm never going to use change anyway except quarters.

Archived